AVS Forum banner

44681 - 44700 of 45824 Posts

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Than, two subs that are the closest to MLP with a Y-splitter. Than measure with those two, to play with Phase control to adjust for the small difference of distance between the two. Once you got your first two subs perfectly, connect the third one into the second sub output and let your AVR take care of the rest.

Those are the simple instructions, without using tools like REW and MiniDSP, that would give you a lot more options.
Good advice. This should be possible because Rythmik uses a true delay and not a phase control. As long as you don't need more than 16ms of delay and 1 PEQ band you should be good.

·
Premium Member
7,737 Posts
Good advice. This should be possible because Rythmik uses a true delay and not a phase control. As long as you don't need more than 16ms of delay and 1 PEQ band you should be good.
Thanks Buddy, very much appreciated coming from you:)

Been English is not my first language, I always try to keep things simple in my response. And did not wanted to go into a true delay, that would have been out of my pay grade knowledge and how to explain-it:(

Darth

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just a general question, Are most here running LFE IN or LINE IN? I’ve been running LINE IN since I got my FV18s, and am pretty happy with the setup.

Does the sub level trim volume on the AVR not work when the sub is connected via line in?

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Just a general question, Are most here running LFE IN or LINE IN? I’ve been running LINE IN since I got my FV18s, and am pretty happy with the setup.

Does the sub level trim volume on the AVR not work when the sub is connected via line in?
It still works.

The choice comes down to what you want the upper-end roll off to look and sound like. It will depend on your speakers and your sub placement. I suggest listening to both. In my previous experience, LFE had too much bandwidth and too slow of a roll off.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,785 Posts

It still works.

The choice comes down to what you want the upper-end roll off to look and sound like. It will depend on your speakers and your sub placement. I suggest listening to both. In my previous experience, LFE had too much bandwidth and too slow of a roll off.
As another data point I prefer LFE in. I believe subs produce cleaner, more accurate bass than speakers at and above crossover, so I prefer all the upper frequency extension I can get. Response is often a train wreck 80-200 Hz and the more that extra drivers placed in other locations(subs) can fill these frequencies in, the better imo.

I only did a quick setup with my current subs, crossed at 80 Hz, but I do plan to experiment with crossovers as high as 120 Hz to see what gives the best response, lowest distortion, and best sound quality.

Also forgot I need to run calibration again for the PEQ hack.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,785 Posts
I agree the subs can produce a better measurement, but the response starts getting into the lower vocal range because the subs are still going to have audible output between 200-300 Hz.
Yeah, this is where there is definitely room for differing opinions based on hearing acuity, preference, goals, individual room and speaker setups etc. Also, how hot one runs subs can affect this as well. A 10 dB boost to subs is likely to sound muddy/boomy if too much top end extension is used.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm actually interested in knowing a little bit more about DIY for a future possible 15" project

I use both LFE and LINE IN on my LV12F since the sub is shared by my HT and stereo systems respectively.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts

I had been running my subs with LINE in for over a year till Aron had me try LFE in and it looks and sounds a lot better to me and I feel sound is more fuller and added even more impact but its individual preference. I have heard some say that LFE added noise into the signal but I have not experienced that

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
LFE has greater bandwidth so you potentially add an octave or more to the upper end for LFE -- not all AVRs handle the LFE channel properly and re-assign LFE over the crossover to the other speakers (my old Pioneer did not; I think my others -- Denon, Sony, Emotiva -- did). The additional higher-frequency content can be an improvement in some cases (and not in others).

Whether or not the LFE path adds more noise depends on implementation. More bandwidth means more noise, but the line input may pass through another op-amp to implement the low-pass filter, adding its own noise. I would guess it's an inaudible change most if not all of the time. I have used both at various times and not noticed any difference in noise levels but can't say I've spent a lot of time listening or measuring the noise floor of the subs... Whether I use LFE or line in depends upon other factors and noise has never really crossed my mind.

The AVR's trim adjusts the signal level from the AVR so whatever you do to the sub has no impact. Change the trim in the AVR and, if you do not change anything on the sub, the level will change.

FWIWFM, HTH, IME/IMO, etc. - Don

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
It's great that we combine our experiences but I think it's going to be really system specific so try both and see what you think. Use music to test.

Also note LINE IN only extends to 80 or 90 Hz. If wanting to use a 100 Hz crossover, you're going to see your subs dropping off a little too early. This was good on my last system but may not be in future configurations. Only way to know is to test.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll try LFE IN and see, LINE IN sounds great to me so far. For those running LFE IN, are you using a y splitter or just 1 cable in to red or white?

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'll try LFE IN and see, LINE IN sounds great to me so far. For those running LFE IN, are you using a y splitter or just 1 cable in to red or white?
THIS might be helpful.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Before I get my two Rythmik’s, I have a question about utilizing my old PSB Subseries 9. My Yamaha can handle two subs, so I’m thinking of using a Y adapter on the two Rythmik’s and hooking up the PSB to the 2nd dedicated sub output. Since the Rythmik’s have separate EQ I was thinking this might work better than a Y adapter between one Rythmik and the PSB. However, because the Rythmik’s are significantly better than the PSB, I’ll lose the ability to eq the Rythmik’s separately and be forced to fix one of the subs only using its PEQ controls.

Also, is it a bad idea to run YPAO with two subs on a Y adapter- will the AVR try to fix things not understanding there are two separate subs on one output?
If the YPAO is anything like Audyssey XT32, I wonder if that would work. However, I haven't had any experience. With my Anthem AVR, the Y-Adapter would work since the receiver doesn't calculate distance/timing automatically. Just make sure you gain match all your subs before you do anything.

IMO, the PSB won't be able to keep up with the FV15HPs. If it was a 12", maybe, but the Rythmiks are on another level output wise over a 10".

Based on my experience, mixing the subs together can work. However, the wonderful assortment of settings (12Hz, 14Hz, 18Hz modes, Low-Mid-High Dampening, and Rumble Filter) that the Rythmiks have are not features of other brands. I was able to get a great response using my 3 subs (2 Rythmiks and a Velodyne SPL1200ii) using the miniDSP 2x4HD and ARC. However, once I changed the frequency filter, dampening mode or turned the Rumble Filter On, it destroyed everything since the Velodyne couldn't change it's settings. If you can find out your preferred settings beforehand, you can calibrate everything based on that.

My guess is you'd get a much more even response across the LFE spectrum. However, that doesn't mean you're better off. I would recommend you try the Rythmiks by themselves first. Sounds like you are already think that the quality of the Rythmiks might outweigh having the PSB sub included. I ended up putting my Velodyne in our bedroom for a little 5.1 system, and am really happy with just the two Rythmiks in our living room.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
Does anyone think there would be issues placing a Rythmik within inches of amplifiers and source electronics? I'm thinking of near-field pressure and also possible EMI.
Probably not a big deal as long as you don't aim the driver or port at the electronics.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,509 Posts
So you would be concerned if you saw a dual opposed sub flanked by an AVR on one side and Playstations on the other side? Drivers facing them.
You could lose your filling when adjusting the volume.

- Rich

44681 - 44700 of 45824 Posts