AVS Forum banner

44741 - 44760 of 45211 Posts

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,701 Posts
My experiences were with the subwoofer placed in the optimal position. I've done the subwoofer crawl and all that. So the differences I mentioned between Rythmik vs SVS were under those conditions.

So based on this, is there any Rythmik model I can get that provides the benefits of Rythmik as stated above, while still hitting as hard as the SVS? And this without getting physically a lot bigger?
Small sealed subwoofers are not ideal candidates for when you want bass to "hit hard", physics works against you in that regard. Unless you get several of them and they are positioned and tuned correctly. Ultimately you may need to consider sealed with a larger driver or go with ported.

Or is the Rythmik intentionally designed to provide better and more precise bass, at the expense of not "hitting as hard"? And is the impression of how hard a subwoofer hits usually tied to the maximum output it has, or the speed of the woofer movement? :confused:
Based upon your description it sounds like your preference is in the mid-bass range (roughly 40Hz-70Hz). If that's the case perhaps the PEQ can help. Try turning it on, set the Gain to 9 o'clock and set the both the Bandwidth and Frequency to 3 o'clock. That should give you a nice boost in that range. How do you have the Low Pass and Extension Filters set?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey folks.

I'm outside the US and EU. I got an opportunity to get a 5 year old FV15HP, which is said to be barely used, from someone who imported it over on his own.

It's probably an overkill at my current place which seems to do OK even with a measly PB-1000 that picked up 2nd hand some months ago. I can't really tell as I didn't have a subwoofer before that. I'm certainly tempted even if it's an overkill. May have some apartment upgrade down the line in a few years etc.

I was wondering what accessories are shipped with those, so I would know if something is missing. I think rubber feet, foam bungs, anything else? Anything that helps move this "person weight" thing around? or just dragging it with the rubber feet attached would do? I doubt I can lift it even one inch on my own.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no instant gratification. It will take time...

- Rich
Best wine takes time :) One of the things I like the most about Salk Sound Custom Rythmik's are the feet he uses. He uses very strong and big spike feet and only 3, not 4 so it makes the subwoofer literally self leveling.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Hey folks.

I'm outside the US and EU. I got an opportunity to get a 5 year old FV15HP, which is said to be barely used, from someone who imported it over on his own.

It's probably an overkill at my current place which seems to do OK even with a measly PB-1000 that picked up 2nd hand some months ago. I can't really tell as I didn't have a subwoofer before that. I'm certainly tempted even if it's an overkill. May have some apartment upgrade down the line in a few years etc.

I was wondering what accessories are shipped with those, so I would know if something is missing. I think rubber feet, foam bungs, anything else? Anything that helps move this "person weight" thing around? or just dragging it with the rubber feet attached would do? I doubt I can lift it even one inch on my own.

thanks.
The FV15HP ships with 4 x rubber feet, one foam port plug and power cord.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

thanks.

I recommend placing furniture sliders under each of the four rubber feet. I keep sliders under mine at all times, making it easy to move across the floor without damage.

·
Registered
12,725 Posts
Hello Enrico and fellow owners, I finally get my FV15HP tomorrow and I can't express how excited I am. I have 2 questions regarding the sub

1: Is there a required break in period for the FV15HP? I don't remember if break in is still a thing or not. Or if It would be okay to just go straight into movies?

2: Due to my work schedule, I might not be able to get the full calibration / dialing in of the sub completed until Saturday, so my question is, Is it okay to just run MCACC from my AV, adjust the settings and use the Sub like that until Saturday when i can do the fine adjustments / proper dial/calibration?
1. No. A few minutes of normal playing will do it if final testing didn't already do it.

2. Yes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I recommend placing furniture sliders under each of the four rubber feet. I keep sliders under mine at all times, making it easy to move across the floor without damage.
Thank you. I'll see if I can find any. You'd be amazed of what trivial stuff I can't find here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
LVX12 vs FVX12

Hey all,

I'm sure some of this been asked elsewhere, but can anybody explain clearly what audible differences there are between the LVX12 and FVX12? I see on the specs that they're both rated for exactly the same frequency response, and aside from having a .5db advantage and paper vs metal cone, I can't find much different about the FVX12. Does it have a different amp? Is the metal driver better suited for anything in particular vs the paper? Are there better components internally?

Furthermore, if you clump the LVX and FVX together against the LV12F, other than a few db of peak volume, are they both considerably better subs than the LV12F?

There are SO many options in this price range. Between Rythmik, SVS, and HSU - it's maddening. Based on what I've read, the LV12F is good, better than a PB-1000, but perhaps not a PB-2000. That would make sense, given their price differences. But in regards to low end slam, is an LVX12 roughly equal to a PB-2000? If so, seems like the FVX12 would naturally be a step up from both the LVX and PB-2000.

I've used the PB-2000 as a benchmark in these comparisons, and that's not for any substantially good reason. It just seems widely respected, so it must be doing something right. There isn't a lot of 3rd party review/chatter around the LVX12/FVX12, but I'm greatly intrigued by both of them.

I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Thank you. I'll see if I can find any. You'd be amazed of what trivial stuff I can't find here.
If you can't find furniture moving pads, then you can probably be creative with another small rug or towel under the sub to pull/slide it around. You can lay it on its side to move, which would probably be easier anyway.
You'd be surprised what you can do when the excitement adrenaline kicks in once the sub is in your house...Good luck, enjoy it.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Where is here? Amazon may deliver :)

Another idea is a playing card under each foot. Work well on wood floors.

Reactions: AlexLac

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you can't find furniture moving pads, then you can probably be creative with another small rug or towel under the sub to pull/slide it around. You can lay it on its side to move, which would probably be easier anyway.
You'd be surprised what you can do when the excitement adrenaline kicks in once the sub is in your house...Good luck, enjoy it.
I've already considered re-purpursing my shower rug for that :D
Didn't decide yet if I want to get it. If a 10" feels OK, do I really need a 15"? I'm not a big basshead. It would not be something I'd probably even consider if it wasn't such a rare find in my country.

Just to humor you. If I import something like that, I'd have to pay like 50% extra on shipping and taxes. So a $1429 becomes ~$2150. Guy is offering it for ~$1250. Granted it's not new, but I believe him he barely used it. It's tempting for sure.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Hey all,

I'm sure some of this been asked elsewhere, but can anybody explain clearly what audible differences there are between the LVX12 and FVX12? I see on the specs that they're both rated for exactly the same frequency response, and aside from having a .5db advantage and paper vs metal cone, I can't find much different about the FVX12. Does it have a different amp? Is the metal driver better suited for anything in particular vs the paper? Are there better components internally?

Furthermore, if you clump the LVX and FVX together against the LV12F, other than a few db of peak volume, are they both considerably better subs than the LV12F?

There are SO many options in this price range. Between Rythmik, SVS, and HSU - it's maddening. Based on what I've read, the LV12F is good, better than a PB-1000, but perhaps not a PB-2000. That would make sense, given their price differences. But in regards to low end slam, is an LVX12 roughly equal to a PB-2000? If so, seems like the FVX12 would naturally be a step up from both the LVX and PB-2000.

I've used the PB-2000 as a benchmark in these comparisons, and that's not for any substantially good reason. It just seems widely respected, so it must be doing something right. There isn't a lot of 3rd party review/chatter around the LVX12/FVX12, but I'm greatly intrigued by both of them.

I appreciate it!
The website isn't all that clear about LVX12 vs FVX12. I had a lot of correspondence with Rythmik before I got dual FVX12 subs.

The FVX12 does extend a bit lower than the LVX12 and has at least a 1dB advantage over the LVX12 over the entire response spectrum. Everything else is exactly the same between the two. I have not heard an LV12F but I do believe these VX12 subs to be a noticeable step above, especially with regard to extension.

I personally think the FVX12 is the best 12" sub out there. I have a very large 5,000cuft space with concrete floors and the dual FVX12s extended well down to 10Hz (room gain starts at 15Hz for me) and had no problem making my large sectional couch vibrate back-n-forth watching the intro to Bumblee. They were great subs.

Reactions: drh3b

·
Registered
623 Posts
Where is here? Amazon may deliver :)
Another idea is a playing card under each foot. Work well on wood floors.
Israel.

Thank you. I'm sure I can improvise something. Wanted to get tips on what could be a good solution for not getting a hernia ;)

Playing cards, ha. Like the ones you play poker with?

The FV15HP is going to sound so much deeper, cleaner, and more detailed at all volumes that once you hear it you won't worry about overkill.
Thank you. I'm certain My likely-soon-to-be-shallower-bank account will appreciate a deeper bass :p

·
Registered
879 Posts
It's hard to say, but the way you describe your experience is the same as someone who went from having an uneven response and maybe a big boomy peak at 60 Hz, to much more linear bass. Were you able to take any measurements to compare?
No unfortunately I did not do any measurements. I've got an UMIK-1 mic, but since I've returned the SVS subwoofer I could only do measurements for Rythmik now, so no comparison would be possible.

But since I'm using an AVR with Audyssey Multeq XT32, would it not even out any possible peak anyway? If the situation would occur that the subwoofer is not able to provide the necessary output at any specific frequency, then Audyssey would not help though. So could that be the explanation, i.e. that the SVS happened to have a boomy peak at 60 Hz and that the Rythmik does not, and so ideally the volume should be higher at 60 Hz but the Rythmik is not able to deliver that (i.e. it does not have sufficient max output at that frequency, given current circumstances), so the Rythmik is perceived to not "hit as hard"? And does "hit hard" always equate to "max output" or is there some "speed" parameter associated with this as well?

Also, I'm not listening to super high volume though, usually ~70 on my Marantz AVR SR-7008. Could the Rythmik F-12SE still be "bottomed out" and not able to provide the necessary output at that volume for certain frequencies in a ~25m2 room?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Israel.

Playing cards, ha. Like the ones you play poker with?

Yes, like you play poker with. At least on hard-wood floors. I've used them with my speakers (have the Isoacoustic Gaia feet which have like a suction cup on the bottom). Tilt speaker, insert card under each and slides easily. Haven't tried with my sub -- so don't know if this would work on something heavier.

Israel - high on my list of places to visit.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Small sealed subwoofers are not ideal candidates for when you want bass to "hit hard", physics works against you in that regard. Unless you get several of them and they are positioned and tuned correctly. Ultimately you may need to consider sealed with a larger driver or go with ported.
My understanding is that sealer subwoofers provide more accurate bass. So that's why I went with that. If I have to make a decision between accurate bass and max output, I think I'd still go with accurate bass (meaning sealer subwoofer), unless there are ported subwoofers that do not give up too much on the accurate aspect.

Still I feel that often the bass is plentiful, at least for "slow speed bass" (e.g. space rocket launch), so that's why I have assumed it's not a "max output issue". But maybe "instant impact bass" such as punches requires short very high output, and my current subwoofer is not able to provide that despite that is is able to handle other kinds of bass?

Based upon your description it sounds like your preference is in the mid-bass range (roughly 40Hz-70Hz). If that's the case perhaps the PEQ can help. Try turning it on, set the Gain to 9 o'clock and set the both the Bandwidth and Frequency to 3 o'clock. That should give you a nice boost in that range. How do you have the Low Pass and Extension Filters set?
Low pass filter is set to AVR/12 and Rumble filter off, Extension filter set to 14 Hz and Damping low.

Would changing the PEQ Gain/Bandwidth/Frequency settings like you described not make the mass more inaccurate (i.e. less linear)? I.e. it might be a band aid, but the proper solution would be to get a subwoofer with higher max output instead?

In general, would the Rythmik F12-SE be able to provide sufficient output at ~70 AVR volume listening level in a ~25m2 room at 25Hz+ frequencies, or would it be recommended to get a subwoofer with higher output?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes, like you play poker with. At least on hard-wood floors. I've used them with my speakers (have the Isoacoustic Gaia feet which have like a suction cup on the bottom). Tilt speaker, insert card under each and slides easily. Haven't tried with my sub -- so don't know if this would work on something heavier.
Israel - high on my list of places to visit.
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I'd put Tokyo at the top of my list if I haven't been there already :) I guess we are ok for tourists, mostly ones who lack a hot weather though.

44741 - 44760 of 45211 Posts