AVS Forum banner

45201 - 45220 of 45910 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Question: when you say "run a REW sweep with timing reference," what exactly does that mean? It's the "timing reference" that I'm unfamiliar with (I haven't used REW yet, just watched a bunch of tutorials) - is that just a standard sweep or is there some extra step/box to check?

Also, when you say each of the possible locations: how accurate to you need to be here? Are we talking moving the sub 2 inches each time, or 6 inches each time, or a foot each time?
The timing reference is just an option you enable while taking a sweep. Basically REW will use whatever regular speaker you choose as a timing reference to chirp before it sweeps the sub. It uses this to calculate the relative delay between each sub sweep and the stationary “timing” speaker.

I just do sweeps of each general location to get an idea. While small moves of a foot or less have “some” impact, that is something I do after I locate the best general areas. A sweep that looks terrible isn’t going to look incredible if you move it 6 inches.

·
Registered
566 Posts
And then there is the wife.... Might be time to trade her in. Seems they are only good for 10-15 years. Im not sure why.
No more than 10 years, otherwise their entitled to your social security ;-)

·
Registered
969 Posts
That said, in any relationship. It take two party to work together to make it work.
I’m guessing we all have much longer relationships with our significant other than we do our subwoofers. :)
I’ve had 8 subwoofers in 3 years but only 1 wife.

·
Registered
566 Posts
going on 17 years here.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,510 Posts
I bought the Velodyne HGS-15 about a year before I got married. It had an amp failure but it is still running here while I wait for the Salk built E22SE
's. That is 19 years and going.

- Rich

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is this subwoofer good for a 2.1 nearfield setup? My room is 12x12x10 and it would be primarily used as a desktop subwoofer. My system is LS50s and a Marantz PM7000n integrated Amp. My goal is to have a subwoofer that is suited for home theatre and also able to have an accurate bass response. I'm currently looking at the LV12, and HSU vtf2. However on Rythmiks site I read reviews that state its not the greatest for music. Will I have to upgrade to something better to acheive this? I'm also considering an F12 but on the site it mentions it doesn't have High pass filter rca inputs and I'm not entirely sure if that affects my setup. Thanks

·
Premium Member
^^^Respect My Authoritah!
4,946 Posts
Is this subwoofer good for a 2.1 nearfield setup? My room is 12x12x10 and it would be primarily used as a desktop subwoofer. My system is LS50s and a Marantz PM7000n integrated Amp. My goal is to have a subwoofer that is suited for home theatre and also able to have an accurate bass response. I'm currently looking at the LV12, and HSU vtf2. However on Rythmiks site I read reviews that state its not the greatest for music. Will I have to upgrade to something better to acheive this? I'm also considering an F12 but on the site it mentions it doesn't have High pass filter rca inputs and I'm not entirely sure if that affects my setup. Thanks
I skimmed the reviews, and missed anything negative on music. In any case, the LV12 is going to do at least as well as anything else in it's price range with music. This is their budget paper cone, but it's still going to produce accurate bass. The Vtf2 should be a fine subwoofer at it's price as well, but I would think the Rythmik would be at least a little more articulate.

·
Registered
12,739 Posts
Whilst I prefer the F12, the LV12 should be fine for music in that setup. Although placing on a desktop means you'd better have a pretty big, solid, desk! I'd put it on the floor underneath personally. ;)

What is not obvious to me is if the amp will roll off the bass to the main L/R speakers when you use the preamp (subwoofer) output; you'll have to read your manual for that. A sub that includes a built-in high-pass (as well as low-pass) filter can help as you can patch the L/R preamp outputs through the sub and run the HPF outputs back to the amp to roll off the deep bass to the LS50's, letting them play cleaner without all the deep bass going to them.

There are a lot of folk who feel sealed subs are better for music but in the real world I doubt you could tell. Especially with Rythmik's servo to reduce distortion, though any good sub (ported or sealed) will exhibit much less distortion than the LS50's at very low frequencies. The ported sub will roll off faster at very low frequencies (below the port tuning frequency) but generally have more output above, which can provide lower distortion for the same output level as a sealed sub. Ports can "chuff" if you drive them too hard; hopefully not a big deal in a small room. BTW, those room dimensions will lead to some big nulls due to room dimensions if it is sealed, so be careful with seating (putting the chair/couch at the 1/3 or 2/3 spot and not in the center will help).

HTH - Don

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
921 Posts
The FV15HP is going to sound so much deeper, cleaner, and more detailed at all volumes that once you hear it you won't worry about overkill.
After a few weeks with it and to my untrained ears it does everything you said it will, I'm very happy. I even forced myself to watch 2-3 action movies just to get an idea of what they can do ;)
Kind of interested how well it's positioned but as I have no measuring gear and it pretty much only fits one spot, it's probably better I don't know, ha.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looking to potentially add a 2nd sub. The problem is I bought my current sub back in 2013 and don't think it's in production at this point: Rythmik LV12R.

What would you do in this situation? Buy 2 new subs or try to find a near match?

One other question. My TV/speakers are set up in a corner of a rectangular room. One sub would be much closer to a corner than the other. Still worth doing dual subs?

Room would look something like this... (O=Open L = Left, S=Sub, C = Center, R=Right)

OOOOOOSLCRS
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
^^ The current LV12F is your sub with port in front instead, thus the F denotation and your is the R (rear) denotation. Front firing sub eases placement. Dual is usually better than single.

·
Registered
969 Posts
One other question. My TV/speakers are set up in a corner of a rectangular room. One sub would be much closer to a corner than the other. Still worth doing dual subs?
In most rooms (especially rectangular rooms), dual subs provide a better frequency response than a single sub as long as they are properly integrated. If you have an AVR that can set independent sub distances for 2 subs, you will likely get a decent result. If your AVR doesn’t have that capability and you don’t have a way to measure your response (REW and a Umik-1), it is much more difficult to optimize delays by ear. If your room is a perfect rectangle, you can use the room simulated in REW to get an idea what to expect as well as find the best placement options for a second sub.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks guys. I assume it would be best to keep the rear firing sub in the corner and put the front firing version more out into the room? Like so: (F=Front S=Rear)

OOOOOOFLCRS
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO

Regarding AVR, I'm about to order a Denon 2700H. Looks like this one has Audyssey Multi EQ XT so should support independent distances, right?

·
Registered
507 Posts
If you can splurge for the 3700H with Audyssey Multi EQ XT32 you will be happier. I have an older 3300 with my F12 and used the app with XT32. XT32 is much better with subs. I also have XT32 on my AV8805 and my G25HP.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
Thanks guys. I assume it would be best to keep the rear firing sub in the corner and put the front firing version more out into the room? Like so: (F=Front S=Rear)

OOOOOOFLCRS
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO

Regarding AVR, I'm about to order a Denon 2700H. Looks like this one has Audyssey Multi EQ XT so should support independent distances, right?
I strongly recommend XT32 if at all possible. Not only does it handle 2 subwoofers, but it applies much higher filter resolution to the bass region, resulting in smoother bass. I believe that begins with the X3000 series. Check Accessories4Less or shop used to save money on that.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,793 Posts

OOOOOOFLCRS
OOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOO

Be aware that the best place for the 2nd sub might not be symmetrical front stage placement as if they were speakers. Sometimes that can work, but often you get the same lousy response that one sub gives. The opposite side of the room may work better.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would definitely step up to the 3700 to get XT32. It is much better than XT. You might be able to pickup the 3600 for a good price.

45201 - 45220 of 45910 Posts