AVS Forum banner

45881 - 45900 of 46172 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,836 Posts
Iam really so much happy, that I found this forum! Can somebody tell me, what is MaxSPL with GR SW-12-04? I want to use it in sealed box about 40 liters (1.5 cuft)...
While I have no answer for you, from your previous posts. It look like you are only you are looking only for a driver (woofer) to do your own sub. You may have more reply in this thread;
And could be the reason, for having such low replies since this thread is people having no experience with DIY or no longer into-it has I am.

I would make sure to include, this link for the woofer you are looking at;

For an answer and/or other recommendation for drivers, since you live oversea for a cheaper option. Since Rythmik include all cost in their price, including shipping/ taxes, duty that can add a lot to the price. You might have better options, living in Slovakia.

While been a very proud owner of two FV18, I think the link to the DIY section, that I have provided. Would be in your best interest, and glad you found this forum.

Darth

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would really be interested in a something small. Maybe an f10? Is there any future plans for that?
If you're dead set on a 10" sub there might be a couple to consider. The monoprice monolith 10 gets good reviews, has a 500 watt amp, DSP, and they claim frequency response less than 20hz. It isn't that small however and doesn't use servo control.

Another to check is the RSL Speedwoofer 10. It's smaller than the monolith.

·
Registered
6 Posts
While I have no answer for you, from your previous posts. It look like you are only you are looking only for a driver (woofer) to do your own sub. You may have more reply in this thread;
And could be the reason, for having such low replies since this thread is people having no experience with DIY or no longer into-it has I am.

I would make sure to include, this link for the woofer you are looking at;

For an answer and/or other recommendation for drivers, since you live oversea for a cheaper option. Since Rythmik include all cost in their price, including shipping/ taxes, duty that can add a lot to the price. You might have better options, living in Slovakia.

While been a very proud owner of two FV18, I think the link to the DIY section, that I have provided. Would be in your best interest, and glad you found this forum.

Darth
Thanks for reply :) Iam looking for driver with amp to have servo controled subwoofer. There is nothing in my country like Rhytmik or GR research. I want kit, not complete product. :)

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,843 Posts
If you're dead set on a 10" sub there might be a couple to consider. The monoprice monolith 10 gets good reviews, has a 500 watt amp, DSP, and they claim frequency response less than 20hz. It isn't that small however and doesn't use servo control.

Another to check is the RSL Speedwoofer 10. It's smaller than the monolith.
The person you replied to about the 10", posted 10 years ago......

·
Registered
176 Posts
Was testing my new dual FV18 PC today and noticed something.
When playing the laser gun scene from Tron Legacy (where the main character is entering the world of Tron) I heard a light clunk in one of the FV18's.

This is happening with [email protected], subs 6db hot and using BEQ, subs on 12 hz, mid damping and rumble filter/ protection on.
When using low damping no problem at [email protected]

To rule out a weird Audyssey issue (could have been a ULF boost in one sub channel) I cross mapped the sub outputs with the MiniDSP.
The clunk was not happening on the other sub and I even went to -8db MV without any strange noise (after that I stopped because it was getting to loud).

-10MV with 6db boost is -4db, then some boost from BEQ (Tron Legacy profile, no other adjustments or house curve applied) makes it, around 0db?
I know it's a demanding scene but is this within spec? Looks like the woofer is bottoming out.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
When playing the laser gun scene from Tron Legacy (where the main character is entering the world of Tron) I heard a light clunk in one of the FV18's.

This is happening with [email protected], subs 6db hot and using BEQ, subs on 12 hz, mid damping and rumble filter/ protection on.

To rule out a weird Audyssey issue (could have been a ULF boost in one sub channel) I cross mapped the sub outputs with the MiniDSP.
The clunk was not happening on the other sub and I even went to -8db MV without any strange noise (after that I stopped because it was getting to loud).

-10MV with 6db boost is -4db, then some boost from BEQ (Tron Legacy profile, no other adjustments or house curve applied) makes it, around 0db?
I know it's a demanding scene but is this within spec? Looks like the woofer is bottoming out.
That sounds odd, I have played that scene at -10MV with subs boosted 10db plus BEQ with no issue and I had rumble filter off too. Is it just that one scene? Can you record it? May check with Brian and Enrico..

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts

Did you gain match the subwoofers? If one is doing and the other not then the one doing is definitely running hotter than the other. Check the light on the back also to see if the subwoofer is clipping.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That sounds odd, I have played that scene at -10MV with subs boosted 10db plus BEQ with no issue and I had rumble filter off too. Is it just that one scene? Can you record it? May check with Brian and Enrico..
That's the only scene I noticed it cause its only ULF, so it stands out.

Will try to record it.

Was trying it on the first day when I had the FV18's up and running without rumble filter and then the clunk was a lot louder.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you gain match the subwoofers? If one is doing and the other not then the one doing is definitely running hotter than the other. Check the light on the back also to see if the subwoofer is clipping.
I matched them with the audessy subwoofer gain matching at the start of a measurement. The one with the issue is about 1 dB lower on the amp dial then the one without the issue.

They are about 45% on the amp gain.

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts
I matched them with the audessy subwoofer gain matching at the start of a measurement. The one with the issue is about 1 dB lower on the amp dial then the one without the issue.

They are about 45% on the amp gain.
That is NOT gain matching, that is level matching. You have to gain match the subwoofers with the miniDSP 2x4 HD then time align them with the miniDSP 2x4 HD and show to the receiver both subwoofers as one subwoofer using only one Sub out from your receiver. Gain matching is very well explained in the minDSP 2x4 Guide by Austin Jerry.

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is NOT gain matching, that is level matching. You have to gain match the subwoofers with the miniDSP 2x4 HD then time align them with the miniDSP 2x4 HD and show to the receiver both subwoofers as one subwoofer using only one Sub out from your receiver. Gain matching is very well explained in the minDSP 2x4 Guide by Austin Jerry.
Understand, but dials are less then 1db difference and audyssey result is 0,5 dB from each other.

·
Premium Member
6,378 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Those results mean nothing. Check this explanation why you need to gain match the subwoofers:

View attachment 3040737
Even if he gain matched, the problem will still be that those two subs aren’t enough for his space. They’re within 0.5 dB on AVR trim. Sound like the gain knobs is pretty close to each other between the subs. The difference is so marginal that if he’s running into bottoming out a sub that’s likely due to nearing limits of the subs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Even if he gain matched, the problem will still be that those two subs aren’t enough for his space. They’re within 0.5 dB on AVR trim. Sound like the gain knobs is pretty close to each other between the subs. The difference is so marginal that if he’s running into bottoming out a sub that’s likely due to nearing limits of the subs.
It's only a 2000 cubic feet sealed room. Subs are same distance from mlp.

What if I switch the subs and run audyssey again? Problem should be in the same location again.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's only a 2000 cubic feet sealed room. Subs are same distance from mlp.
thats weird then. It sounds like you’re pretty close to being gain matched already. and the clunking sound you described sounds like what you hear when you bottom out a driver. You could try turning off the sub that has the issue, raise the volume on your AVR 3-5dB and play only the good sub. if that one also starts to clink then you’re probably at the limits of those subs. If not, then could just be a defect in the one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
thats weird then. It sounds like you’re pretty close to being gain matched already. and the clunking sound you described sounds like what you hear when you bottom out a driver. You could try turning off the sub that has the issue, raise the volume on your AVR 3-5dB and play only the good sub. if that one also starts to clink then you’re probably at the limits of those subs. If not, then could just be a defect in the one.
Will try, only went with 2db difference with the "good" sub and I stopped because it was loud enough.

Just tried, with the other sub I can go till -4 MV till the limiter kicks in (green light blinks), driver is not making any clunking sound.
So one sub can go 6 db louder with no clunking and the limiter kicking in.
On the "clunking" sub I have the clunking sound at -10db MV and green light is steady (no limiter).

I understand the importance of gain matching but all my previous subwoofers where in the same location with each exactly the same gain on the amp and when measuring with audessy they where always 0,5 dB close to each other. Subs are equal distance parallel to each other. Left and right wall about 2 meters from MLP.

·
Registered
176 Posts
^^ Try to swap the 2 sub locations and run the scene again?
You mean without running audyssey? To be sure it's not a rattle?

I already moved the sub to the front of the room, just to be sure that it's not a rattle.

45881 - 45900 of 46172 Posts