AVS Forum banner

46121 - 46140 of 46170 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
No, E15HP2 is 1.5db over the E15. I believe they mean the E15HP2 is 5db over the F12, but their chart just says “E15HP”
I just confirmed with Enrico the E15(E15HP) is 5db and the E15HP2 is 6.5db. I think I'll just go with the dual E15HP. The HP2 is backordered, the G22 doesnt look as neat with the cones pointing to the sides, the FVX12 has no gloss black, and all the other options are too big and out of my price range. I should be fine, my definition of loud and "filling the room" may differ from the rest of you all haha, as I'm coming from dual Klipsch R-12SW (junk) right now. With the wifey looks are just as important. No FV25 even if I could swing it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just confirmed with Enrico the E15(E15HP) is 5db and the E15HP2 is 6.5db. I think I'll just go with the dual E15HP. The HP2 is backordered, the G22 doesnt look as neat with the cones pointing to the sides, the FVX12 has no gloss black, and all the other options are too big and out of my price range. I should be fine, my definition of loud and "filling the room" may differ from the rest of you all haha, as I'm coming from dual Klipsch R-12SW (junk) right now. With the wifey looks are just as important. No FV25 even if I could swing it.
I see, so they use E15 and E15HP interchangeably.

I’m slightly confused because G25HP is the same as 2 E15HP2, but only +12db above the F12, implying the E15HP2 is +6db over the F12.

Maybe a rounding thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oh and enjoy your new E15s!

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,029 Posts
Have you ‘arranged’ your FV28s pair yet?

Funny you should bring that up. Enrico and I were just going over that last week. I was trying to talk him into a pair of FV25's. He said 3 or even quad FV18's would be the way to go since I had commited to the paper cone versus mixing the aluminum with paper. So after that long diatribe, lets just say the "FV28's" are still in play ;)

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Funny you should bring that up. Enrico and I were just going over that last week. I was trying to talk him into a pair of FV25's. He said 3 or even quad FV18's would be the way to go since I had commited to the paper cone versus mixing the aluminum with paper. So after that long diatribe, lets just say the "FV28's" are still in play ;)
Stop it so Brian can finish my subs first.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,029 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Okay so I've narrowed it down to dual F12's or dual E15's for my 700sqft x 10ft open living area. It's a large space but we'll kind of be at the corner of it and won't really need good sound quality in the kitchen etc. What should I get? The E15's would look more substantial but if I could get away with the F12's it would be a bit friendlier on my budget.

I tried and had up front for along time looked good but these guys suggested trying diagonally and this is where they are now. Is there a better place, yes but this is better than last one. The better is a no go due to tripping stepping over rear sub everytime entering the lounge. This is not unusual to have best position but not practical.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I see, so they use E15 and E15HP interchangeably.

I’m slightly confused because G25HP is the same as 2 E15HP2, but only +12db above the F12, implying the E15HP2 is +6db over the F12.

Maybe a rounding thing.
Could be wrong, but I think they used to call the E15 the E15HP before the 1000W amp version existed.

Reactions: yourmando

·
Registered
162 Posts
Finally decided to use PEQ to get that "extra" boost on my FV15HP. Quick question, I'm supposed to turn the gain knob towards the positive side, right? To get a negative number through the room EQ? Also, any recommendation on settings for the bandwith/ freq knobs? I think mine are still set straight up (12 o clock), and this is my first time trying with PEQ on and also using LFE. Does PEQ give better performance with LFE or is it mainly more for Line In?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks for the responses.

So you're getting some distortion only when using bass management? Does this depend on the volume level? And what does the distortion sound like?
Yes. Doesn't depend on the volume level. The distortion sounds like a slight crackling sound similar to a bowl of rice Krispy treats cereal. Apparent when the bass hits but it's not every song I hear it. The song I pasted earlier, it's very obvious at the beginning.

1. a while, feel around the outlet (don't get shocked!) to see if it is warm. That could indicate too much power for the outlet.
  2. If you know how to do it safely, use a cheap meter and see if the voltage sags when you play the song. You can also buy a power monitor that monitors voltage, and/or if you have a UPS it may show the average voltage and you can see if it drops when you turn everything one and agai
Thanks for the suggestions. I reached out to a neighbor who is more experienced than I with electrical work and he had similar suggestions around voltage sags.

Without going into a lot of details, through my experimentation, I found that I believe it may be my Anthem STR preamp. With the subwoofers turned off, my minidsp turned off, but bass management engaged and Anthem Room correction turned off, I hear this noise. With bass management disabled, no crackling sound.

I think it's fair to say my problem is outside the scope of this thread. So will be reaching out to Anthem, and maybe post in the Anthem STR/ARC thread.

Again, thanks for you suggestions.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Wondering how two of these ultimaxx kits would compare to two F18's in a 3800 cubic foot room? "Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Subwoofer and Cabinet Bundle" from www.parts-express.com!
their measurements on databass.com are very close.
thanks guys
I'd hate to draw attention away from the Rythmik 18s here, but I, too, am curious about these. I've been told the Ultimax 18-22 in a Full Marty (available in flat pack) will hang with the FV18PC - albeit without direct servo. I'd expect much different sound signatures and wouldn't expect available plate amps to have the tuning capability of the FV18, also.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Finally decided to use PEQ to get that "extra" boost on my FV15HP. Quick question, I'm supposed to turn the gain knob towards the positive side, right? To get a negative number through the room EQ? Also, any recommendation on settings for the bandwith/ freq knobs? I think mine are still set straight up (12 o clock), and this is my first time trying with PEQ on and also using LFE. Does PEQ give better performance with LFE or is it mainly more for Line In?
I don't believe PEQ works if using LFE. It's for line in only.

I'm not sure. :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
PEQ definitely works with LFE inputs. It's just the phase and crossover controls that are disabled i believe.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
I stand corrected. Any benefit of PEQ on the sub itself when using a miniDSP?
You probably wouldn't want to use it at all if using a miniDSP. But folks like @darthray, who doesn't use a miniDSP, use it to tailor one specific frequency/narrow range. Most folks use it to get a boosted mid-bass chest-slam boost around 60 Hz.

46121 - 46140 of 46170 Posts