AVS Forum banner

48201 - 48220 of 48402 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,528 Posts
Not sure what kind of PC's you're buying but the ones I build still work great after 10 years, they just aren't up to current spec hardware wise.

Realized you're talking about laptops. I agree there are some cheapo builds out there but stick with good brands like Lenovo, Acer, ASUS, Toshiba. 10 years is too much to ask of any lithium battery in any device.
Your right, i should have said windows laptop, rather than PC. Between myself and various family members with a handful of well known brands, we've never had a laptop function well for more than a handful 3/4/5 of years before either biting the dust or just performing horribly. Even if they technically work, its like an old car on its last leg, coughing and sputtering along :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: jwskud

·
Premium Member
6,559 Posts
Just a heads up. That WIFI-DG is a pain in the ass to deal with.
Sorry for the delay. The replacement amp is ready for UPS pickup and you should get it by Wednesday. Brian will email you the videos that show how to perform the amp exchange. Not rocket science, though :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Sorry for the delay. The replacement amp is ready for UPS pickup and you should get it by Wednesday. Brian will email you the videos that show how to perform the amp exchange. Not rocket science, though :)
Lol! Yeah, I’m pretty confident that I can get it swapped out.

As for the replacement, thanks for the update, Enrico. I’m really excited to get this back up and going, so this is great news.:)

·
Registered
886 Posts
OK, I've finally done a multi-day A/B evaluation of high vs. low damping on the FV18PC and written up my impressions HERE. I've got to say, this is the subwoofer that just keeps on giving. I was stuck on low damping since setup because it sounded so sweet...but high damping takes it to another level altogether. I would be hard-pressed to ever buy another sub without this tuning option! Excellent work, @Rythmik !

I still need to experiment with the extension filter. So many options, which is great b/c what sounds great to me might not be another user's favorite set of tuning options with their equipment, content, and space.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
OK, I've finally done a multi-day A/B evaluation of high vs. low damping on the FV18PC and written up my impressions HERE. I've got to say, this is the subwoofer that just keeps on giving. I was stuck on low damping since setup because it sounded so sweet...but high damping takes it to another level altogether. I would be hard-pressed to ever buy another sub without this tuning option! Excellent work, @Rythmik !

I still need to experiment with the extension filter. So many options, which is great b/c what sounds great to me might not be another user's favorite set of tuning options with their equipment, content, and space.
Have you run any sweeps with the High damping to compare with the Low damping?

·
Registered
886 Posts
No, and I'm way too lazy to break out the equipment. Anyway, the general guidance from Rythmik is to dial/setup everything on low damping, then to toggle damping (and other settings) to get the sound sig you like best (i.e. let your ears do the choosing). I'm still quite shocked at what a difference that one setting can make. It's most obvious with music but I am going to A/B the John Wick nightclub scene with both damping settings, and I'm guessing high damping will rule the day with all those deep gunshot blasts - quick hits just sound more pronounced with high damping.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
No, and I'm way too lazy to break out the equipment. Anyway, the general guidance from Rythmik is to dial/setup everything on low damping, then to toggle damping (and other settings) to get the sound sig you like best (i.e. let your ears do the choosing). I'm still quite shocked at what a difference that one setting can make. It's most obvious with music but I am going to A/B the John Wick nightclub scene with both damping settings, and I'm guessing high damping will rule the day with all those deep gunshot blasts - quick hits just sound more pronounced with high damping.
The high damping is pretty much what I was leaning on trying due to the better articulation that’s been stated about it. I’m definitely wanting the cleanest sound I can get out of it, regardless of whether I’m watching movies or listening to music. That way I don’t have to keep flipping things back and forth. Lol

Reactions: darthray and spyboy

·
Registered
412 Posts
The high damping is pretty much what I was leaning on trying due to the better articulation that’s been stated about it. I’m definitely wanting the cleanest sound I can get out of it, regardless of whether I’m watching movies or listening to music. That way I don’t have to keep flipping things back and forth. Lol
Yeah, I'm a new Rhythmic owner and high damping is best for music and movies for me. Switching back and forth isn't something I'd ever do.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Now y’all are just confusing me, dammit! :unsure:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Have you seen the data-bass.com review of the FV18 here?

You can click on the different sweeps to turn them on/off if you'd like to compare just a few settings.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,175 Posts
12Hz 2 port low damping rules!!!

Ok, I also have never tried high.. Why mess with perfection??? :D

Reactions: d-rail34

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Have you seen the data-bass.com review of the FV18 here?

View attachment 3119569

You can click on the different sweeps to turn them on/off if you'd like to compare just a few settings.
Yeah, I’ve seen those, but I was more curious about a real world in-room comparison vs. the outdoor testing.

·
Registered
886 Posts
12Hz 2 port low damping rules!!!

Ok, I also have never tried high.. Why mess with perfection??? :D
Because even perfection can be improved, evidently...!

Stark differences with music. With HT, it's more subtle. But still worth trying.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am setting up my sub in the next few days what can I use to plug the ports if needed? I did a search but didn’t find anything specific.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
2,175 Posts
I am setting up my sub in the next few days what can I use to plug the ports if needed? I did a search but didn’t find anything specific.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Didnt it come with plugs? foam? small stuffed animals? Really big corks? Foam is whats used.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Because even perfection can be improved, evidently...!

Stark differences with music. With HT, it's more subtle. But still worth trying.
jwskud, have you posted/shared your preferred settings for this sub? If you don't mind, can you post a pic of the amp with the settings that you like best? Also, which vent(s) you have plugged. Thank you!

Turns out these subs are shipped UPS Freight which requires an appointment for delivery ... they don't automatically drop them off at your house. Mine finally came yesterday, can't believe the size of these suckers!

If all goes well I should be ready for "Godzilla versus Kong" by this weekend :)

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
If all goes well I should be ready for "Godzilla versus Kong" by this weekend :)
Congrats on the subs. Regarding Godzilla versus Kong, make sure to bump up your master volume about 10db as it is being mixed at a very low level. I watched it the first time at my normal MV (-15) and it was ok, I watched it again yesterday at -4MV, and it was outstanding in the bass department. I am also running my subs +10db hot.

·
Registered
292 Posts

Do you have one or two rythmik subs?

48201 - 48220 of 48402 Posts