AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 22377 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far regarding the blu ray players
Still not sure which one to get

I'm getting the vibe that most of them that say they have 4k upscalling have a setting in which you can choose to have 4k upscalling either on or off

Are you saying to have it off on the blu ray player and that the hu8550 will do a great job (better job) than the blu ray player
Including on reg DVDs also

And would it harm the picture to have it on aswell as the tv upscaling

Thanks for all the advice so far

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions so far regarding the blu ray players
Still not sure which one to get

I'm getting the vibe that most of them that say they have 4k upscalling have a setting in which you can choose to have 4k upscalling either on or off

Are you saying to have it off on the blu ray player and that the hu8550 will do a great job (better job) than the blu ray player
Including on reg DVDs also

And would it harm the picture to have it on aswell as the tv upscaling

Thanks for all the advice so far
Well if you have the player upscale it the source will be 4k (essentially) so the TV won't further upscale it. There is no way to turn the TVs upscaling on and off, it is automatic on all sources lower than 4k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks sikclown for the info

Yeah I had read that the tv upscalling doesn't t turn on and off and that it is perminantly on

I guess what I'm asking is it

A- better to get a blu ray player that doesn't even have 4k upscalling
B- better to get a blu ray player that has 4k upscalling and turn the upscalling off because the tv does a better job
C- better to get blu ray player with 4k upscalling and turn it on (guessing not this one from what u r saying)

Thanks to anyone who locks in an answer

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Thanks sikclown for the info

Yeah I had read that the tv upscalling doesn't t turn on and off and that it is perminantly on

I guess what I'm asking is it

A- better to get a blu ray player that doesn't even have 4k upscalling
B- better to get a blu ray player that has 4k upscalling and turn the upscalling off because the tv does a better job
C- better to get blu ray player with 4k upscalling and turn it on (guessing not this one from what u r saying)

Thanks to anyone who locks in an answer
Personally I feel like the best bluray players available have 4k upscaling and 3D because they are the higher end of "insert manufacturer here"s line. What I mean is the Sony BDP-S6200 is the flagship Sony player for the US and will have the best picture quality, speed, features, etc in comparison to the rest of it's line. Those features include 4k upscaling and 3d. Panasonic, Samsung, etc will all be similar in my opinion.

I think what it comes down to is what do you really want? A premium player that you will not upgrade for quite some time? Something to use for now while actual 4K players get ironed out along with HDCP 2.2, etc? I know I am not answering your question directly but these are all the things I think of when going to buy a new Bluray. I bought my BDP-S6200 for my living room because Sony has yet to add 3D capability to the PS4 and my old 3D player was so slow. I bought the best player available for the price (in my opinion) and I was going to grab one for my bedroom since I put a 4K Samsung in there as well. But I have a Sony BDP-S590 in the bedroom that works perfectly fine, albeit much slower than the 6200, so I am going to wait for the next crop of players hopefully with HDMI 2.0, etc.

The main reason I recommend the BDP-S6200 is the dual core processor and the speed. The 4k upscaling is average to good but the TV just does it better. I would compare it with the Panasonic and a few other models without 4k upscaling to see which appeals to you. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Panasonic BDT-460 or a BDT-360 but I am waiting to see if the 700 comes to the States (which I doubt it will).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Some users have experienced or introduced degradation in image quality by upscaling twice. While in theory if you upscaled that the player the tv shouldnt have to do it but it does anyway and that appears to cause issues.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Some users have experienced or introduced degradation in image quality by upscaling twice. While in theory if you upscaled that the player the tv shouldnt have to do it but it does anyway and that appears to cause issues.
I am just guessing on this but I would think the only way the TV would upscale a 4k signal is if it isn't identifying itself as a 4k signal or if it wasn't producing a full 4k image. Perhaps the degradation of the image is due to the processing of the external device? Or perhaps these users have a receiver connected that is capable of 4K upscaling and it is turned on without their knowledge? I have a UN65F9000 and a UN55HU8550 and I have never experienced degradation when I have either my bluray or my reciever do the upscaling with the exception of when I first set up my s6200. It had color banding and flashing across the screen on occasion, come to find out I had 4k upscaling turned on in my receiver on that port so upscaling was happening twice before the TV received it. The image was getting distorted and was essentially "stepped on" too many times.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I am just guessing on this but I would think the only way the TV would upscale a 4k signal is if it isn't identifying itself as a 4k signal or if it wasn't producing a full 4k image. Perhaps the degradation of the image is due to the processing of the external device? Or perhaps these users have a receiver connected that is capable of 4K upscaling and it is turned on without their knowledge? I have a UN65F9000 and a UN55HU8550 and I have never experienced degradation when I have either my bluray or my reciever do the upscaling with the exception of when I first set up my s6200. It had color banding and flashing across the screen on occasion, come to find out I had 4k upscaling turned on in my receiver on that port so upscaling was happening twice before the TV received it. The image was getting distorted and was essentially "stepped on" too many times.
The thing is the tv has a better up scaler. I'm sure Sony would too.

But not all 4k tv's will be made equal this year. Hisense. Vizio. Even sharp. Others. May not have a quality upscale solution so these players do have a purpose.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Right now I just use my xbox one for blurays. What are the major benefits moving from that to a dedicated BR player of some kind?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Right now I just use my xbox one for blurays. What are the major benefits moving from that to a dedicated BR player of some kind?
3D capability (not important to some but I love me some loud, blow em up, 3D action flicks), generally better PQ (in my opinion), faster startup, etc. If you are happy with the Xbox One player though no real reason to get a dedicated player. If either my PS4 or Xbox One did 3D I likely wouldn't have a Bluray player.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
My Panasonic bdt360 plays my blurays cleaner. The picture is cleaner than my xbox one.

The netflix app and YouTube app all look better from the tv but the xbox one is easy and still looks great.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My Panasonic bdt360 plays my blurays cleaner. The picture is cleaner than my xbox one.

The netflix app and YouTube app all look better from the tv but the xbox one is easy and still looks great.

Yeah I'll probably just ride it out until a dedicated 4k player comes out. I watched the Lego Movie on Bluray with the XB1 on the weekend and it just blew my mind so I'm a happy camper.

I'd be with you on using the TV's Netflix app but it doesn't have surround sound....

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've purchased a UN65HU8500 from Costco last week. TV is current on my BDI stand until a new flush mount gets delivered later this week. While on my stand I am running all the cables to it as if it were wall mounted. This is so I can test different configurations and make sure all is working as expected before wall mounting it. My setup consists of the following:

65HU8500
Oppo BD-P103
Onkyo 818 (all sources go to 818 and one HDMI out to the display)
Outlaw Audio Model 7500 5 channel amp
Emotiva Reference Speakers all around
PS3
Verizon Fios
Apple TV
HTPC (Small all in one Lenovo used for downloading and web browsing. Display port to HDMI)
All components hardwired to a gigabit switch.

So I initially wired up the receiver's HDMI out to The HDMI ARC input, but I had no sound. So I moved the cable to HDMI4 and all is working. Even with the receiver in Stand By, the video and audio pass through to TV without issues. When the receiver is on, no problems at all either. So I don't need to concern myself with HDMI ARC at this point.

I've tweaked the TV using some suggestions here and I'm getting the display to look amazing in my eyes. One this I am having issues with is when playing a Bluray on the Oppo, forcing 4k, the display blinks every few minutes. I am still trying to determine if having the Oppo force 4k is causing the problem. I will turn it off this evening when I get home. Or can it be that I am using older HDMI 1.4a cables? I ordered some newer cables from monoprice along with the new mount. They are cheap enough that I wanted to give them a try. No big deal if they bring nothing better to the table.

Streaming Netflix and Youtube looks pretty good. I still don't believe I am seeing 4k on the Netflix Super HD streams. I will confirm if I tried it via the Oppo or the Samsung-can't remember. I've read here that you have to use the displays Netflix app in order to view 4k content, correct? I will report back on this as well.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I've purchased a UN65HU8500 from Costco last week. TV is current on my BDI stand until a new flush mount gets delivered later this week. While on my stand I am running all the cables to it as if it were wall mounted. This is so I can test different configurations and make sure all is working as expected before wall mounting it. My setup consists of the following:

65HU8500
Oppo BD-P103
PS3
Verizon Fios
Apple TV
HTPC (Small all in one Lenovo used for downloading and web browsing. Display port to HDMI)

So I initially wired up the receiver's HDMI out to The HDMI ARC input, but I had no sound. So I moved the cable to HDMI4 and all is working. Even with the receiver in Stand By, the video and audio pass through to TV without issues. When the receiver is on, no problems at all either. So I don't need to concern myself with HDMI ARC at this point.

I've tweaked the TV using some suggestions here and I'm getting the display to look amazing in my eyes. One this I am having issues with is when playing a Bluray on the Oppo, forcing 4k, the display blinks every few minutes. I am still trying to determine if having the Oppo force 4k is causing the problem. I will turn it off this evening when I get home. Or can it be that I am using older HDMI 1.4a cables? I ordered some newer cables from monoprice along with the new mount. They are cheap enough that I wanted to give them a try. No big deal if they bring nothing better to the table.

Streaming Netflix and Youtube looks pretty good. I still don't believe I am seeing 4k on the Netflix Super HD streams. I will confirm if I tried it via the Oppo or the Samsung-can't remember. I've read here that you have to use the displays Netflix app in order to view 4k content, correct? I will report back on this as well.
Info button in app. Will show resolution.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts

65HU8500
Oppo BD-P103
PS3
Verizon Fios
Apple TV

I just read in another thread that there could be a few people who have run into screen degradation when using a player to upscale to 4k vs the TV upscaling because perhaps both were upscaling; meaning the Oppo is upscaling and then the TV is trying to upscale the upscale. I don't know about that since it hasn't been my experience but it is possible. Also if you have your receiver processing the video as well it could cause those kind of issues which i have run into and was my case. My Denon, unbeknownst to me, was set to upscale to 4k as was my Bluray player. Havoc ensued. :confused: finally figured it out after a while. Yes you have to use the TVs Netflix App as well as view the 4k content to get 4k. To see what resolution you are getting press Info on your remote when playing a movie in Netflix.

Reactions: joeyvaz

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just read in another thread that there could be a few people who have run into screen degradation when using a player to upscale to 4k vs the TV upscaling because perhaps both were upscaling; meaning the Oppo is upscaling and then the TV is trying to upscale the upscale. I don't know about that since it hasn't been my experience but it is possible. Also if you have your receiver processing the video as well it could cause those kind of issues which i have run into and was my case. My Denon, unbeknownst to me, was set to upscale to 4k as was my Bluray player. Havoc ensued. :confused: finally figured it out after a while. Yes you have to use the TVs Netflix App as well as view the 4k content to get 4k. To see what resolution you are getting press Info on your remote when playing a movie in Netflix.

Onkyo AVR is set to pass through video unmolested. I've always had it set up this way. But I am definitely going to turn off the 4k upscale in the Oppo when I get home this evening and see if the blinking stops. This will be with the 1.4a cables. New cables and mount will be here on Friday. Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hi,
I have the panel version HS01 on my 60" 8550. Is this version one of their best?

Also called Samsung about the upscaling...I have the Samsung BD-F7500 Bluray and the HU-60"-8550. They told me to leave them both on, that would be the best way...is this true??

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
The panels starting with H are sharp panels from what I've read, and I would say they are the second best panels u could get (the ones starting with T being the best)

Another question regarding blu ray players guys
Don't think the sony 6200 has come out into shops here in Australia but the 5200 is out

So still not sure what is the best "budget" blu ray player out of those two sonys and. The panna 360

Any other ones make the list ????

Cheers

2661 - 2680 of 22377 Posts