AVS Forum banner

14821 - 14840 of 22338 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
How much of a difference is there between the 8550 and the 8700. I had to return my 8550 due to it turn off randomly and I saw that the 8700 is on sale. I was wondering if it would be any real upgrade or the only difference is that the 8700 is curved? Do all 8700 have Samsung panels and the golf chip or it is the same as the 8550? Thank you.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
How much of a difference is there between the 8550 and the 8700. I had to return my 8550 due to it turn off randomly and I saw that the 8700 is on sale. I was wondering if it would be any real upgrade or the only difference is that the 8700 is curved? Do all 8700 have Samsung panels and the golf chip or it is the same as the 8550? Thank you.
I have 8700 with golf PQ is excellent

Attachments

Reactions: chuckf1

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 55hu8550 with the TH02 novatek and have a significant level of light bleed and flash lighting. Already considering returning for the hu9000 but I'm not a big curve set fan. TV will be a week old tomorrow. I originally had purchased the Sony x850b but returned that for the Sammy 8550.
Same here started out with the 850b. Then had the 8550 but was a little disappointing as far as clarity compared to sony. The 9000 trumps both and also has cinema black for wide screen movies. While the 9000 isn't as clear, the depth enhancer and improved colors give a much more comparable picture to sonys, and will get better with the upgrade box in may. If u can afford it, DO IT. While watching tv u really don't even notice the curve, u sorta get used to it.
Well now my 8550 is randomly turning itself off. I'm calling Best Buy in the morning to see if they will let me exchange it for the 9000 (of course I'll eat the price difference).
If money weren't a concern I'd get a Sony x950 but $3k for the 9000 is pushing my budget.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'll try doing this again...
Please don't be sore at me for asking this question.
Im not very good with computers but I tried getting panel version codes. Too much information. kinda got lost. I will just simply ask what version should I reject Friday when my new 65 8550 gets delivered from an authorized dealer. If not a good panel I will simply return it and get it credited to the brick and mortar store.

Sorry for bugging you smart people.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'll try doing this again...
Please don't be sore at me for asking this question.
Im not very good with computers but I tried getting panel version codes. Too much information. kinda got lost. I will just simply ask what version should I reject Friday when my new 65 8550 gets delivered from an authorized dealer. If not a good panel I will simply return it and get it credited to the brick and mortar store.

Sorry for bugging you smart people.
It's best to set up your TV and see if any issues exist. There is not a single panel to avoid. Use these setting to dial in your set initially and watch a nice BluRay movie:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1522081-official-samsung-4k-hu8550-hu9000-thread-223.html#post28910850

I hope you enjoy your TV!

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Well now my 8550 is randomly turning itself off. I'm calling Best Buy in the morning to see if they will let me exchange it for the 9000 (of course I'll eat the price difference).
If money weren't a concern I'd get a Sony x950 but $3k for the 9000 is pushing my budget.
If u can swing the extra cash you won't be disappointed. But others on here have had the same issue with it turning on and off, on my 2 samsung 4ks it never happened to me knock on wood.

·
Registered
270 Posts
As a tech head I feel you 100%. The one connect box has already been confirmed to do it for 2015 by Samsung..Plus u get Tizen and all the tweaks that come with new 4k engine...:D
Samsung also "confirmed" 4:4:4 chroma support for 4k/60Hz signals and that's a lie if you have the Novatech chipset.

With my BBB complaint, before I returned my 8550, Samsung's reply was that it works "as intended." I was told "some color information is lost in the translation from YCbCr to RGB."

Of course, that's a horseshit reply, because the GTX 970 and 980 video cards most easily used to prove this flaw, output RGB by default, NOT YCbCr.

Samsung needs to lose a few million dollars over this.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
IMO the 8700 is a step up. It does have a higher motion rating and according to my friend who works at Pauls tv, the curve panel samsung uses on the 8700&9000 (the 7250 uses a different curved panel) is better for contrast.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Samsung also "confirmed" 4:4:4 chroma support for 4k/60Hz signals and that's a lie if you have the Novatech chipset.

With my BBB complaint, before I returned my 8550, Samsung's reply was that it works "as intended." I was told "some color information is lost in the translation from YCbCr to RGB."

Of course, that's a horseshit reply, because the GTX 970 and 980 video cards most easily used to prove this flaw, output RGB by default, NOT YCbCr.

Samsung needs to lose a few million dollars over this.
Yeah I split a gut when someone said "I checked with Samsung, so here's the truth."

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have 8700 with golf PQ is excellent
Those pictures look gorgeous. Can you share your settings, please. I want to try them, mine is not caliberated.

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Those pictures look gorgeous. Can you share your settings, please. I want to try them, mine is not caliberated.
backlight 10
contrast 95
brightness 45
sharpness 21
colour 53

Advanced settings

colour space native(wider colour gamut)
gamma +1

picture settings
warm 2
digital clean auto
mpeg filter auto

Reactions: celestica

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If you set is powering off/on on its own, disable the quick start mode... That fixed my issue...

·
Banned
6,246 Posts
Reactions: celestica

·
Registered
38 Posts
Forgive me for being a noob but I just purchased the HU8550 65" and got it going. I have a few questions which I am sure has been covered in the 500 pages on here (which I have read a lot, lol)

1. I'm getting ready to hang on wall and mount it but this tiny 3' or 4' power cable will not be long enough. So in searching and talking to BB they said it wont pass fire code even if it was long enough going into the wall. Where do I get a fire code 15' power cord for this TV? I see some on amazon but I don't think they meet this code. I did see some inwall power kits but hearing not even these are in code either.

2. I know how to run my sound from directv to AV receiver which sounds awesome but if I want to use only the TV speakers they sound like in a can......maybe from the rear speakers causing this. I see you can change some sound options on this TV but appears this is only for running sounds from TV back to the AV receiver. Can I not change the sound with the internal speakers? And is this normal to sound like its coming from a tin can?

Thank you in advance
Bizkit

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone knows if the price of the 78" hu9000 would likely drop anymore? I'm thinking of getting it, right now it's $5,999 but I would wait if it might drop soon. Otherwise I was thinking of placing the order.

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Hey guys I'm wondering if anyone knows if the price of the 78" hu9000 would likely drop anymore? I'm thinking of getting it, right now it's $5,999 but I would wait if it might drop soon. Otherwise I was thinking of placing the order.
IMO it won't drop any more. It will still be available most of the year online, and if they drop it anymore it could hurt their sales of 2015 tvs as anyone would choose a 78 inch hu9000 for 5 grand over the 65 js9000 for the same ( well, most anyways lol)

·
Registered
163 Posts
backlight 10
contrast 95
brightness 45
sharpness 21
colour 53

Advanced settings

colour space native(wider colour gamut)
gamma +1

picture settings
warm 2
digital clean auto
mpeg filter auto
Thank you, what about white balance, can it stay auto...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Forgive me for being a noob but I just purchased the HU8550 65" and got it going. I have a few questions which I am sure has been covered in the 500 pages on here (which I have read a lot, lol)

1. I'm getting ready to hang on wall and mount it but this tiny 3' or 4' power cable will not be long enough. So in searching and talking to BB they said it wont pass fire code even if it was long enough going into the wall. Where do I get a fire code 15' power cord for this TV? I see some on amazon but I don't think they meet this code. I did see some inwall power kits but hearing not even these are in code either.
You can't run an extension cord in wall. It needs to be romex. You can use something like http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=INWALLKIT%2DWHT to do what you want. You'd run a cord to the inlet, romex from the inlet to the outlet behind the wall, then an extension cord to the tv.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been reading the forums about the new 2015 tvs but there is so much info to go over and remember, is the hu9000 similar to the js9000 just without quantum dots and hdr?

14821 - 14840 of 22338 Posts