AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 22377 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKidMAADCity  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1500#post_24750318

Can anyone help me out and share their calibrated settings for the 8550?
See page 30 for a nice set of base settings.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Don't know if anyone noticed, but the HU9000 65in is now selling for $4300! Amazon is also having a 6% back in rewards on I think all 4k sets - amounts to some nice savings.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24757059

Don't know if anyone noticed, but the HU9000 65in is now selling for $4300! Amazon is also having a 6% back in rewards on I think all 4k sets - amounts to some nice savings.

It seems to be selling for $4299 everywhere...

$700 price drop in a few weeks...

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callsign_Vega  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24756774

Don't think DP to HDMI 2.0 adapters will come out for quite a while. So until GPU's come out with native HDMI 2.0, won't be able to use 4K at 60 Hz with these beautiful sets.

As for the upscaling, its quite true that not listing what resolution they were running to test the input lag numbers is quite deceiving. Of course if it is a 1080p signal, there will be quite a delay added to up-process. I'd really love to know what native res at 60 Hz input lag would be like. If it's two frames or less, I'd be all over a HU9000 set.

I played a few games in 4k on the HU9000 with my PC(Titan) and it looks great but 30FPS keeps me from playing any more. I will wait until there are video cards with 2.0 support or an adapter. FWIW, I didn't experience any noticeable lag when playing with my PC(input labeled as PC(game mode)).

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24757059

Best Buy has it for $4,300 and seems to be advertising 10% in rewards with this purchase for a limited time.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Has anyone else heard about the HU87000? Just read this on consumer reports - published a month ago though.

"Later this spring Samsung will also offer 55- and 65-inch models in a lower-priced curved-screen HU87000 UHD series, but prices haven't yet been finalized. These sets are just 1.2 inches deep with ultrathin bezels, and they'll include LED backlights with software-based local dimming. Like the UH9000-series sets, the HU8700 models come with the One Connect box."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/new-samsung-uhd-tvs-offer-more-4k-content-and-lower-starting-prices/index.htm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I'm not using a video card... I'm using the CPU onboard graphics. I just now plugged the Denon HDMI output cable into my OLD TV just to verify what works. All three of my sources (HTPC, Cable box, blu-ray player) are all ROCK SOLID. The new TV is solid on the cable box, drop-outs every few seconds with the blu-ray, and no signal at all with the HTPC. Now I need to figure out if it is my particular unit of the TV, or the model HU8500 design itself. Any ideas on that front?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24757977

Has anyone else heard about the HU87000? Just read this on consumer reports - published a month ago though.

"Later this spring Samsung will also offer 55- and 65-inch models in a lower-priced curved-screen HU87000 UHD series, but prices haven't yet been finalized. These sets are just 1.2 inches deep with ultrathin bezels, and they'll include LED backlights with software-based local dimming. Like the UH9000-series sets, the HU8700 models come with the One Connect box."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/new-samsung-uhd-tvs-offer-more-4k-content-and-lower-starting-prices/index.htm

This is the only recent article mentioning it and other models. This one says it's possibly going to be delayed or canceled

http://hdguru.com/leaked-new-samsung-uhd-4k-tv-models-priced-from-999/#more-13776

·
Registered
340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24758448

This is the only recent article mentioning it and other models. This one says it's possibly going to be delayed or canceled

http://hdguru.com/leaked-new-samsung-uhd-4k-tv-models-priced-from-999/#more-13776

Yea seems a bit odd to add another 4k model with a curve in-between the 9000 and the 8550. Would make more sense in 2015 when I assume 4k will be much more common.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzari  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24758486

Yea seems a bit odd to add another 4k model with a curve in-between the 9000 and the 8550. Would make more sense in 2015 when I assume 4k will be much more common.

It's more likely that they canceled it, to me it didn't make any sense. A better model to have between the two would've been a flat screen model exactly like the HU9000 giving people a choice between the curve or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for your input.

In case this may help someone else:

I tried connecting direct from sources to the tv. HTPC, no go. Cable box, yes. Blu-ray, in and out.

Found the problem though...

I had the HTPC screen res. set to 3840x2160 (recommended by Windows). Why did it say that? I think it saw, through HDMI, that the new 4k tv was hooked up (through my Denon AVR).

I switched screen res to 1920x1080. Boom, fixed! HTPC output looks great AND blu-ray output is now rock solid. Cable signal still rock solid, looks great.

The last issue was to get the TV smart hub apps (Netflix, youtube, etc.) able to send the audio BACK to the Denon AVR via the HDMI ARC connection, othewise I would not have sound using those apps (tv speakers are OFF).

There is a menu setting for audio output on the tv setup that must be set to 'Receiver', but that choice was disabled. Found out I had to set 'HDMI Control' to 'ON'. It was off.

Now, everything is good to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche948  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1530#post_24755990

So after spending several nights last week hacking through all 52 pages of this forum and reading all the background on all the praise and grumbling on the HU8550 i acted on an impulse today and became a test monkey. fingers crossed on no vertical banding, no damage, and no other glitchyness. I can live with the lag as this is my main floor show off panel to watch upconverted CFL games (GO RIDERS!!!). i can live with the bottom light bleeding since it's only software dimming and i am sure its gonna be way better blacks than '05 samsung LCD 32" or my '09 KDX? 46" LED bravia. As long as i don't get a glaring halo blaring at me in the middle of the screen i am easy to please.

i'll be gaming with my old school ps3 on AC4 black flag on the bravia so lag is no issue for me, most i'll do is probably screen mirror my coleco emulator on my samsung s3 phone to this baby. ridiculous i know but like i said i am easy to please.

I was really only planning to look at the 65" and gock at it to the salesman and have small talk on tech talk of the new ones coming. But they offered me the 310W samsung sound bar with sub and blu-ray player with the 75" 8550 for $4500 + tax so i acted on the impulse of being able to forego waiting 16 months for it to get to the price and now i am another 75" HU8550 test monkey waiting for shipment.

Fingers crossed on getting a half decent panel with no crazy issues.

thanks for all the info on setup and recommended settings and things to watch out for on the test drive!
Can I ask when is your shipping date as I am looking for the 75" 8550 as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszilla  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24757879

Best Buy has it for $4,300 and seems to be advertising 10% in rewards with this purchase for a limited time.

Home Shopping Network has it for $3,999.95 plus $150.00 S&H (hsn.com) It is listed as model UN65HU9000F, so not sure if it is exactly the same, but the specs looked the same to me. My local BB would not price match, but not a word said about the models being different. I think HSN has a 30 day return policy.

·
Registered
30 Posts

they haven't officially put the order in yet, it goes into the system tomorrow morning; they had told me they expect to see them second week of june; 3rd week at the latest if there some global shipping delay.

NCIX showed the tv going with the same blu-ray, and soundbar pack going for $5999 + tax + shipping. 

I feel happy about getting the tv with the 6500 blu-ray (although i see the player is almost completely useless based on reviews on this forum), the 550 soundbar package, a monster articulating wallmount, 3 year warranty, and the old style samsung skype camera all for $5600 tax in delivered. 

really hoping for no halos or vertical bands....

·
Registered
26 Posts

Hey guys,

I am new here, but I have been following the forums for TV advice for a long time.

Anywho, today I just picked up a Samsung UN55HU8550 at my local Navy Exchange on Yokosuka Navy Base in Yokosuka, Japan. I live off base and have internet through a company called So-net. So far it seems pretty nice, although I haven't even really had a chance to test it out a whole lot yet...here is why:

I cannot get the darn thing to download the "Smart HUB" at all. It keep giving me an error stating that "My internet is not stable." I have tried multiple things such as connecting directly to my modem, changing my internet settings, etc, but no luck. I also even tried Samsung support, but I am sure we all know how much help that was (none) and so now I come to you guys and gals for help.

If this is the wrong place for me to ask this, please let me know, but I figured since it's the "Official" thread for this TV maybe I could get some help. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm on the verge of buying a new TV and thought I'd get some opinions.

Usage is going to be Cable TV, Blu-ray, Streaming Video (Netflix, etc), gaming on Xbox One, Wii U, 360. Probably hook it up to my PC as well which I game on.

I have a couple connections that can get me a good deal. One connection is someone who will get the Samsung friends and family price, the other is someone who can get one particular model at a wholesale price.

I'm considering the following models based on price/availability:

65HU8550

75HU8550

65F8000

75F8000

Any advice? I've included my in progress photoshop mock-up. Everything is to scale. I'll be sitting 11-12 feet from the tv.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24760033

Hey guys,

Usage is going to be Cable TV, Blu-ray, Streaming Video (Netflix, etc), gaming on Xbox One, Wii U, 360. Probably hook it up to my PC as well which I game on.

I have a couple connections that can get me a good deal. One connection is someone who will get the Samsung friends and family price, the other is someone who can get one particular model at a wholesale price.

65HU8550

75HU8550

65F8000

75F8000

Any advice? I've included my in progress photoshop mock-up. Everything is to scale. I'll be sitting 11-12 feet from the tv.

Looks beautiful. I would get the biggest you can. I sit about 6 feet from a 65" screen and could go bigger haha.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pfhor  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24759898

Hey guys,

I am new here, but I have been following the forums for TV advice for a long time.

Anywho, today I just picked up a Samsung UN55HU8550 at my local Navy Exchange on Yokosuka Navy Base in Yokosuka, Japan. I live off base and have internet through a company called So-net. So far it seems pretty nice, although I haven't even really had a chance to test it out a whole lot yet...here is why:

I cannot get the darn thing to download the "Smart HUB" at all. It keep giving me an error stating that "My internet is not stable." I have tried multiple things such as connecting directly to my modem, changing my internet settings, etc, but no luck. I also even tried Samsung support, but I am sure we all know how much help that was (none) and so now I come to you guys and gals for help.

If this is the wrong place for me to ask this, please let me know, but I figured since it's the "Official" thread for this TV maybe I could get some help. Thanks!
I'd make an appointment with your Carrier Provider of Network/WiFi to test for those inconsistencies and perhaps your lacking security keys to connect to your provider as the Smart Hub must interface with it to work properly as the TV is not delivering streams without the proper interface conduit. Let them know the message consistently says your internet is unstable so they may troubleshoot the event. Often security keys or lack thereof can interfere with it becoming operational and Samsung is helpless to resolve events that occur at the Carrier/Provider. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrawst  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1560#post_24760033

Hey guys,

65HU8550

75HU8550

65F8000

75F8000

As an owner of a 65F8000 from last year I absolutely would not go with it in 2014 unless my budget were restricting me but if I had to choose I'd go 75" now as the price is far less than it was a year ago for 75". Getting Friends/Fam pricing I'd aim for 4K hands down at 75". My choice from THESE would be 75HU8550 but I'm seeing outstanding feedback from Sony 4K 2014 panels and it's upscaling improvement over 2013. Good Luck and if your budget and HT can handle 75" I'd aim for 2014 4K especially if you have Netflix streaming. Good Luck!

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV  /t/1522081/official-samsung-4k-hu8550-and-hu9000-thread/1530#post_24754997

When you are spending $5,000 of your own money on a TV - you can "obsess over [any] crazy things" you want!

Yes you can, however when everything out there for about the same size and price has the same anomalies it is pointless unless you pick a different technology .

1561 - 1580 of 22377 Posts