AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many are receiving this player for free with their new Samsung 3D TV's. As such, soon a critical mass of owner's will appreciate having a place to share their experiences together.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-...d/BD-C5900/XAA

Can anyone comment on picture quality? I've been trying to compare mine to a Sony S370, S570, and Samsung BD-C6900 I have laying around and must admit I'm not seeing any night & day differences except that the Sony of course supports 24p output of DVDs and thus appears smoother when there's motion on screen. Granted it is subtle but I have trained myself to notice this so -- it's noticeable to me. Also, the BD-C5900 is quite a bit slower (in every way) than its elder brother -- the C6900 -- and of course it's also slower (also in every way) than the Sony S*70-series. I prefer the Sony remote. The Samsung plays back more non-standard content than the Sony, though, which is important to me. Just sharing my experiences -- more later, as time and experience permits.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Can you update us with any tips on the 5900? I just ordered a pn58c8000 panel that comes with one. I'm particularly interested in using USB file playback... so tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
391 Posts
I also received the 5900 as part of a starter pack with my PN63C8000 plasma. Try as I might, I can't determine the differences between the 5900 and 6900. The only spec difference I can find is that the 6900 has built-in memory. What does that get you? Does the memory contribute to the better speed performance reported for the 6900?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course, there's the lack of built-in wireless with the C5900. And it's definitely a bit slower. I wouldn't call it a slow player, just not as fast as the latest generation from Sony, e.g.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddle /forum/post/19228148

I also received the 5900 as part of a starter pack with my PN63C8000 plasma. Try as I might, I can't determine the differences between the 5900 and 6900. The only spec difference I can find is that the 6900 has built-in memory. What does that get you? Does the memory contribute to the better speed performance reported for the 6900?

I haven't been able to find what the disadvantaged are to having no built in hard drive either. My concern is that it could be used when streaming (like Netfilx), as a buffer, but I can't find any evidence to support that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 /forum/post/19228307

Of course, there's the lack of built-in wireless with the C5900. And it's definitely a bit slower. I wouldn't call it a slow player, just not as fast as the latest generation from Sony, e.g.

When you say 'slow' are you referring to the BR load time? anything else?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Has anyone played a 3D Disc of any type (S3D, S3DR, 2D-3D) Movie or Game on this C5900?

Does it come with the 3D Play ability out of the box, or does it need Firmware updates like the Sony S-x70's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'd like to have this BD player be the clock in my console. I've set the time on it. Has anyone found a way to have it display the time constantly, or at least when it isn't in use?

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe /forum/post/19266942

It has the ability for 3D out of the box. I did update my firmware after initially testing it.

Thank you for that info.

Has anyone played 3D on it yet?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi fellow BD-C5900 owners,

I opened up the player today, removed the heatsink from the main chip, and -- lo and behold -- Broadcom BCM7633YKFEBG. Looking at the PCB of my BD-C5900, I see it says at the bottom:BD-C5900/C6800 BCM7633 Rev 01 2010-04.

So I would hazard to guess but perhaps the BD-C5900 & BD-C6800 use the same video solution? This would mean the BD-C6900 truly is beating to its own drum, since it uses a different chip, the SDP93 "Barcelona", evidently produced by Samsung themselves.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm amazed at the 5900s ability to play a MKV file from a flash stick in media play (video). It looks awesome! I do have one question though. I occasionally detect micro frame drops or stuttering. They are barely detectable. Is there an adjustment for that somewhere? I don't want to mess up any default settings for BR or DVD, which is working perfect.

Could those frame drops be from the cheap flash stick that I'm using or can it be corrected in a setting somewhere. Has anyone found one USB device to work better than others?

·
Registered
1 Posts
tornadog,

I called Samsung Friday, The gal I spoke to said I had to use the Samsung (WIS09ABGN) wireless adapter. Went to buy one from Fry's. But having trouble connecting it to my network.

If anybody can help with this problem, it would be appreciated.

I was also told, that I only needed one Wireless adapter. I purchased the UN55C7000 3D TV. TV connected fine.

I did purchase two adapters, One for each unit. Still can't connect the Disc player to the network.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzme /forum/post/19329157

i'm amazed at the 5900s ability to play a mkv file from a flash stick in media play (video). It looks awesome! I do have one question though. I occasionally detect micro frame drops or stuttering. They are barely detectable. Is there an adjustment for that somewhere? I don't want to mess up any default settings for br or dvd, which is working perfect.

Could those frame drops be from the cheap flash stick that i'm using or can it be corrected in a setting somewhere. Has anyone found one usb device to work better than others?

+1

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

when I search for the difference between c6900 & c5900, I found that c5900 is 2.1 channel audio out. Does it mean it can only send 2.1 audio out to my home theater ? where as c6900 could send 7.1 audio out.. I believe it will make significant difference when I play blu-ray disks.. please advise..

1 - 20 of 109 Posts