AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are from the movie A walk among the Tombstones using my S5 cellphone

Please post your movie photos from your Samsung F8500 :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,302 Posts
What's the point? Crappy small cell phone pics viewed on an LCD PC monitor don't nearly convey how the image looks in person. All your pics look like standard definition ;)

The local news on my 19" LCD TV on my desk look way better than the pics you just posted. Just sayin . . . . :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the point? Crappy small cell phone pics viewed on an LCD PC monitor don't nearly convey how the image looks in person. All your pics look like standard definition ;)

The local news on my 19" LCD TV on my desk look way better than the pics you just posted. Just sayin . . . . :D
Yeah, I know… they all came out crappy! lol

Will try to get my Canon working once again as soon as it comes back from the shop so I can take some photos. ;)

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I know these threads are totally useless if you take them seriously, but I kind of like seeing what scenes everybody uses to test their displays.

some shots from fifth element

Oblivion

Tron

if the kuro guys can do it for 20000 posts, we should be able to get a couple pages

Reactions: Latinoheat

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know these threads are totally useless if you take them seriously, but I kind of like seeing what scenes everybody uses to test their displays.

some shots from fifth element

Oblivion

Tron

if the kuro guys can do it for 20000 posts, we should be able to get a couple pages
Awesome photos!! Tron is one of my favorite movies in terms of black and white contrast. :D

What camera are you using? Or which hosting site are you using to upload the photos?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Have to agree with Randy on this one, pics to show the quality of PQ is pointless. You can take pictures of a crappy LED TV and have them look great with OLED black levels.

Now having said that, if you are going to start a picture thread to try and show off a display you need to at least come with better pictures then something that looks like it was taken with a 5 year old cell phone.

The only thing the pictures in the first post make me want to do is stay away from an F8500. :(

Thank you to fierce for the save.

Also might want to think of changing the name of the thread to unofficial. LOL

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Awesome photos!! Tron is one of my favorite movies in terms of black and white contrast. :D

What camera are you using? Or which hosting site are you using to upload the photos?

Thank you :)
canon t3i, just uploaded to facebook

Even with a great camera, its difficult to truly convey the picture quality of any tv.

S5 tap'n
absolutely. it took forever for me to figure out what settings to change, and even after my 'best efforts' I'm still either crushing black details or white details. the camera just can not match the contrast of the display. I haven't even started to mess with greyscale settings on the camera either, haha

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
canon t3i, just uploaded to facebook

absolutely. it took forever for me to figure out what settings to change, and even after my 'best efforts' I'm still either crushing black details or white details. the camera just can not match the contrast of the display. I haven't even started to mess with greyscale settings on the camera either, haha
I still don't see the point. Even if you tweak your camera to take the perfect picture odds are our monitors will crush blacks, clip whites or have colors completely off plus if everything else was perfect in a perfect world our monitors would have to match the contrast levels of the actual display we are trying to represent in the picture otherwise with all other things being perfect, even then it would still not be a true representation.

So basically, it comes down to a why bother spending the time to take the perfect picture?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I still don't see the point. Even if you tweak your camera to take the perfect picture odds are our monitors will crush blacks, clip whites or have colors completely off plus if everything else was perfect in a perfect world our monitors would have to match the contrast levels of the actual display we are trying to represent in the picture otherwise with all other things being perfect, even then it would still not be a true representation.

So basically, it comes down to a why bother spending the time to take the perfect picture?
just for fun.

it's just as useless to post my calibration settings for others to use, but those threads are very popular too.

the only time there's really any 'purpose' is if i'm taking pics of two displays at the same time, then i can use it to point out relative differences. otherwise, nobody is trying to show how good the display is, really. most displays can look phenomenal in pictures, and no picture will ever look better than your display. i think we all realize this, but if we start criticizing every thing we do in this hobby, half the threads in here will end up getting axed...

it's the basic rule of the internet, as long as it's not hurting anybody, if you don't like it, just move along. when somebody posts one pic of a f8500 and another of an oled or kuro and says 'see, here's proof that the f8500 has better blacks', then by all means, that's when you step in to prevent some poor noob from believing it. but as long as we're just posting screen shots, i don't see the harm.

PS, i spent the effort to learn how to use the camera, not to take better pics of my tv. my theory was that if i took a pic of a screenshot, and then compared the pic i took to the original, both displayed on the f8500, then it would exaggerate and point out the things i 'changed' when i took the photo. and i crushing blacks, am i adding a red tint, etc. i learned a lot about my camera from this exercise, which has helped me take better photos of my room, car, or whatever else i might like to take 'quality' photos of.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
just for fun.

it's just as useless to post my calibration settings for others to use, but those threads are very popular too.

the only time there's really any 'purpose' is if i'm taking pics of two displays at the same time, then i can use it to point out relative differences. otherwise, nobody is trying to show how good the display is, really. most displays can look phenomenal in pictures, and no picture will ever look better than your display. i think we all realize this, but if we start criticizing every thing we do in this hobby, half the threads in here will end up getting axed...

it's the basic rule of the internet, as long as it's not hurting anybody, if you don't like it, just move along. when somebody posts one pic of a f8500 and another of an oled or kuro and says 'see, here's proof that the f8500 has better blacks', then by all means, that's when you step in to prevent some poor noob from believing it. but as long as we're just posting screen shots, i don't see the harm.

PS, i spent the effort to learn how to use the camera, not to take better pics of my tv. my theory was that if i took a pic of a screenshot, and then compared the pic i took to the original, both displayed on the f8500, then it would exaggerate and point out the things i 'changed' when i took the photo. and i crushing blacks, am i adding a red tint, etc. i learned a lot about my camera from this exercise, which has helped me take better photos of my room, car, or whatever else i might like to take 'quality' photos of.
I don't see no harm in it and you take some great pictures. I was just curious why you were spending the time tweaking the camera to try and capture an accurate picture which will be un-accurate to everyone else viewing it.

Also, I have seen people many times look at pics in these forums and think WOW, what a great picture a certain TV has. The good thing is at least if they were to buy an F8500 based on pictures they would end up with a great TV were some other TV's I would feel bad for them. But I also look at the pics in the first post and say damn, what a washed out picture the F8500 has, don't see the hype about this plasma.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I don't see no harm in it and you take some great pictures. I was just curious why you were spending the time tweaking the camera to try and capture an accurate picture which will be un-accurate to everyone else viewing it.

Also, I have seen people many times look at pics in these forums and think WOW, what a great picture a certain TV has. The good thing is at least if they were to buy an F8500 based on pictures they would end up with a great TV were some other TV's I would feel bad for them. But I also look at the pics in the first post and say damn, what a washed out picture the F8500 has, don't see the hype about this plasma.
yeah, i'm kind of a noob with DSLR's so this was my 'project' to help gain some experience and knowledge in its operation.

and i totally agree with what you're saying, but let's be honest, it's unlikely somebody 'silly'(i don't want to be rude) enough to buy a tv based on somebody else's pics would be looking at plasma these days anyway... seems like 'that person' would be all over a 4k seiki or something :p

the only thing i would read into it personally, is that it's not often you see a dedicated screen pics thread for a crappy tv. the only other one i'm familiar with is the kuro actually. but maybe that's my naivety.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Any way to look up the number of hours on these?

Anything to watch out for when shopping?
Press Mute 7 3 7 Enter on the remote with the TV on (You might have to try a few times to get the timing down). MRT is panel time in hours. Turn the TV off to exit the menu.

Googled...Answer came up on this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts