AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 37263 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what I've read, only Game Mode gives 20ms lag, the other modes are 40ms. Game Mode with 4k @ 60hz gives weird jutter effects. This is independent of any other effects you have on/off. Unless you are going to be running dual GTX 1080 GPUs though, I doubt you'll be able to push that framerate and resolution. I have zero personal experience with this, as I don't have the budget for that kind of gaming powerhouse.
I planned to get the new Xbox One S that supports 4k @60hz while its games are only 1080p the actual xbox will output at [email protected] simply letting the xbox upscale the games. I also wanted to future proof for the xbox coming out next year thats support true 4k gaming. So weird Judder huh? How was this noticed? Someone played some 4k @60hz games and notice it?
We are in the exact same boat.It is the Scorpio we might need to worry about. This was noticed while pc gaming 4K 60hz in game mode. Look for posts from betterdavid. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm occasionally having the same issue with my Fire TV. I *think* it has something to do with the Fire TV turning itself off after a certain length of inactivity? Not sure, though. Haven't had the issue in the last few days.

From personal experience make sure you are putting the fire tv to sleep before switching inputs. My Denon would automatically switch inputs to the Fire tv as it would wake itself up if it wasn't put to sleep. Once we started ensuring it was fully asleep the issue stopped. Ymmv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dogarm

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you figure a way to program you Samsung remote to work your yahmaha receiver yet, in having the same problem, it even funds my receiver model but still won't work.
No I did not get it to work with the receiver even though it finds my model. I just use a Harmony remote anyways and it works great.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
HDR missing from Amazon on TV app all of a sudden?

Was going to finish watching the man in the high tower, and I looked pretty bland and boring. Checked the movie picture settings, and the contrast and brightness are at my normal levels. Anyone else seeing this lately? I'm not getting any HDR from Amazon anymore I don't believe. Netflix I get with Marco Polo, and of course UHD discs are good, Amazon screw the pootch again? There hasn't been an update recently on the TV at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I bought the tv at Frys and tried to return it because I no longer want it. Unfortunately the back panel is coming off. About 6 inches is hanging off. Frys refused to take it back. There's absolutely no way I did that myself. I handled this $2,000 with extreme care when I unboxed it, set it up, and then reboxed it. Must've came defective.

What are my options? Frys said I had to call Samsung and fill out some form and send the tv to them or something. Not sure what the guy was trying to say. All I heard was he said I would have to send the tv to Samsung and pay the shipping myself. I'd prefer not to do that since it's $300+ to ship it. What can I do to return it and get a full refund? I only have about 10 days before my return period ends.

Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got to excited when I read this post, and then I noticed that you are on a 49KS9000. Unfortunately, that doesn't offset my (and others) complaints regarding both of the 65" KS versions. Unless the new firmware update fixed it! The last one that I tried was 1103.

The wait continues?
I didn't know that this issue was specifically related to the 65" KS versions. Actually, it doesn't make sense to be honest. Why would this occur only on those sizes, not on the others?

Have you ever tested game mode in 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 chroma?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I bought my Sony 48" W600B TV in 2014 its a low-mid range tv and even tho I do love it im looking at a jumping in spot for 4k, thought this might be it, the 4k @ 60hz game mode problems you speak of? What are they? On any tv I use I always disable the extra features, I hate the soap opera effect with a passion. Maybe it will perform better with [email protected] for someone not using any of the advanaced features? I also usaully use a low level backlight.
When playing PC games in [email protected], there will be some stuttering in game mode, but only if you have chroma subsampling set to 4:2:0 in GPU drivers. Fortunately, there is no point in doing so anyway. Granted, I have a KS9000, but I don't see why this would not apply to a KS8xxx. I haven't seen any KS8xxx owner confirm this issue with chroma set to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, so unless that happens, I'm sticking to my opinion that this is a non-issue, at least for PC gamers. Now what it will be like on the upcoming consoles is merely speculation. It may not be an issue at all for they might be using RGB instead of YCbCr.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Was going to finish watching the man in the high tower, and I looked pretty bland and boring. Checked the movie picture settings, and the contrast and brightness are at my normal levels. Anyone else seeing this lately? I'm not getting any HDR from Amazon anymore I don't believe. Netflix I get with Marco Polo, and of course UHD discs are good, Amazon screw the pootch again? There hasn't been an update recently on the TV at all.
Yes, HDR is again missing from the TV's Amazon app. You can still get it via the Samsung K8500 Blu-ray player if that interests you.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah I heard that too. But if you have access to corporate perks through your job, samsung directly sells it for $1219.99. Which puts me in a bind as I am looking at the Vizio P and the KS8000 being right about the same price. lol

At Costco and Fry's the price is about $1,400 representing a small decrease since last week.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
When playing PC games in [email protected], there will be some stuttering in game mode, but only if you have chroma subsampling set to 4:2:0 in GPU drivers. Fortunately, there is no point in doing so anyway. Granted, I have a KS9000, but I don't see why this would not apply to a KS8xxx. I haven't seen any KS8xxx owner confirm this issue with chroma set to 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, so unless that happens, I'm sticking to my opinion that this is a non-issue, at least for PC gamers. Now what it will be like on the upcoming consoles is merely speculation. It may not be an issue at all for they might be using RGB instead of YCbCr.
So you got rid of the judder thats been reported? Was the user who reported the stuttering before using 4:2:0 as well? Isnt 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 the most commonly used anyway? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tested in 4:4:4 HDR mode and it had stuttering. I actually had to go out of my way and move my computer across the room to do that because the long HDMI cable that I had wouldn't pass 4:4:4 HDR. So I bought a new, short cable, got 4:4:4 working and still had stutter.

It might be possible that the TV was reporting that in error, so if anyone else with the 65KS8000 or KS8500 can test in an apples to apples scenario, that would be pretty helpful.

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
I wouldn't consider buying from these guys - there are several complaints against them with the BBB and several online reviews that note bait and switch tactics being used by them. More than likely you will not get the TV at that price if you tried to buy.

Unauthorized dealers do not have to follow UPP guidelines. All sorts of risks, including the return policy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tested in 4:4:4 HDR mode and it had stuttering. I actually had to go out of my way and move my computer across the room to do that because the long HDMI cable that I had wouldn't pass 4:4:4 HDR. So I bought a new, short cable, got 4:4:4 working and still had stutter.

It might be possible that the TV was reporting that in error, so if anyone else with the 65KS8000 or KS8500 can test in an apples to apples scenario, that would be pretty helpful.
I tried the same today. I also had to bring my pc closer to the tv because the long hdmi cable only allowed me to do 4:2:0 in 8bpc (and 12bpc :confused:). With short hdmi cable I was able to do 4:4:4 but only in 8 bpc. The tv switched automatically to PC mode with these settings, so I couldn't select hdr+ manually. I was also able to do 4:2:2 in 10bpc (8bpc and 12bpc were also available) and with this settings I was able to select HDR+ but the videos weren't playing in true HDR. Just this fake one that only turns brightness and dynamic contrast to max.

What video card are you using ? I've got GTX 970 and Windows PC. Were you able to output 4:4:4 in 10bpc ? How did you enable HDR ?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried the same today. I also had to bring my pc closer to the tv because the long hdmi cable only allowed me to do 4:2:0 in 8bpc (and 12bpc :confused:). With short hdmi cable I was able to do 4:4:4 but only in 8 bpc. The tv switched automatically to PC mode with these settings, so I couldn't select hdr+ manually. I was also able to do 4:2:2 in 10bpc (8bpc and 12bpc were also available) and with this settings I was able to select HDR+ but the videos weren't playing in true HDR. Just this fake one that only turns brightness and dynamic contrast to max.

What video card are you using ? I've got GTX 970 and Windows PC. Were you able to output 4:4:4 in 10bpc ? How did you enable HDR ?

Why did the HDMI cable length come in to effect? I am planning on running a 50 foot HDMI cable from my office to my living room (using wall outlets) for when I want to play something off my PC in my living room.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Boosted my time warner internet speed from their standard 15 mbps up to 30 mbps after I set up my tv two weeks ago.

I had read here and saw on netflix's website that they recommend a speed of 25 mbps. I also boosted my netflix plan to their high speed HD (& 4 screen viewing up from 2) plan for $11.99 a month.

Then I noticed Amazon only recommending minimum speed of 15 mbps.

I only boosted the TW speed so as to see what 4K streaming looks like after setting up the TV.

Since there is not enough 4K content out there yet I can't see spending another $20 a month with TW if I dont have too. I downgraded my TW plan back to their standard 15 mbps.

So far, I see no difference in pic quality and 4k content appears to run the same.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Why did the HDMI cable length come in to effect? I am planning on running a 50 foot HDMI cable from my office to my living room (using wall outlets) for when I want to play something off my PC in my living room.
I've heard that cables over 25 feet experience some signal loss but it's something I read about 2 years ago. Not sure if that's still the case but I would probably do some research and see what others recommend on long cable runs.

·
Registered
934 Posts
2441 - 2460 of 37263 Posts