AVS Forum banner

24761 - 24780 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
So I read on Rtings that on the new 2017 Samsung TV's, HDR in PC mode isn't working. Something to do with their new Tizen based software overhaul on the new sets.
LINK?! You can't just post that kind of stuff without a reference!

I kind of doubt they will try to upgrade the software of the KS8000 to be like those - but just in case I am turning Auto Update off for the time being.
There won't be a firmware upgrade to turn a 2016 model into a 2017 model. Of course you are always free to wait for others to get firmware upgrades first, if it worries you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ditched traditional TV stands for this! Now I can rotate the TV and get the perfect viewing angle regardless of where I am in the room! problem solved!

/QUOTE]

---

What is the brand and model for this stand? I like it!

VIVO TV cart...model TV03E. Its the best packaged, easiest to assemble, highest quality piece of metal I've ever purchased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Absolute agree, but figure it's 2017. Gigabit is the new 'norm' vs. 100 mbps. The same probably could've been said 10 years ago when people were buying 100 mbps NIC vs. 10BaseT NICs...

100 Mbps will do everything that a smart TV can perform. The $1.59 amount is trivial (I have no idea how much the chipset really costs), but I'm pretty sure Samsung could afford it. Instead of discounting my 65" by $520, discount it $518 instead.
I agree as well from a consumer standpoint, just put 1Gb in there and be done with it. From a design standpoint tho, I can easily see reasons for leaving it out. They will need to cut costs wherever they can to reach their price point, and I'm sure it's not only the LAN port where they chose parts that were a few cents cheaper. I know the $1.59 you quoted is an arbitrary amount that you probably aren't that far off on. But let's say they made 1 million units. Times that by $1.50 and that's a whole $1.5 million dollars in saving, or PROFIT. And that's just on one product line. If I was on the design team for this TV and speccing out parts, I'd go with 100Mb as well since, for 99+% of users, having more than 100Mb would be completely irrelevant. Their reasoning is only speculation on my part, so I guess my point is that at the end of the day, 100Mb or 1Gb is mostly irrelevant.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a very clean wired network with all cabling cat6 and high quality switches What other explanation would the buffering while streaming 4K directly from my iPhone be? As soon as I switch to AC it streams perfectly. The 4K video from the iPhone must be just beyond the limits of 100Mbps. My AC connection is 6x that bandwidth. Of course for internet streaming the wired 100Mbps was keeping up without issues.
A quick Google search shows iphone 4K video to have a bitrate of about 47Mbps. I saw one report of 53Mbps for a complex scene. I haven't checked any of the 4K files on my iphone, but assuming that's typical of 4K video and you are streaming the file off your iphone without transcoding to a higher bitrate for some reason, your 4K video is only using half the bandwidth of 100Mbps and "theoretically" should stream to your TV just fine. Youtube 4K video seems to take roughly 50Mbps so if you can stream 4K youtube without issue, you should be able to stream 4k video from your iphone without issue. In real life tho, what you "should" get and what you "do" get are sometimes not one and the same. Long story short tho, 4K video from an iphone isn't "just beyond the limits" of 100Mbps. No idea what's getting in the way, but if going wifi works better for you, that's a nice easy solution!

Reactions: King Richard

·
Registered
61 Posts
A quick Google search shows iphone 4K video to have a bitrate of about 47Mbps. I saw one report of 53Mbps for a complex scene. I haven't checked any of the 4K files on my iphone, but assuming that's typical of 4K video and you are streaming the file off your iphone without transcoding to a higher bitrate for some reason, your 4K video is only using half the bandwidth of 100Mbps and "theoretically" should stream to your TV just fine. Youtube 4K video seems to take roughly 50Mbps so if you can stream 4K youtube without issue, you should be able to stream 4k video from your iphone without issue. In real life tho, what you "should" get and what you "do" get are sometimes not one and the same. Long story short tho, 4K video from an iphone isn't "just beyond the limits" of 100Mbps. No idea what's getting in the way, but if going wifi works better for you, that's a nice easy solution!
must also remember h265 encoding. can cut the size and Mbps quite a bit while still have good quality. so far i've seen it can cut to almost around 50% in everything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What is the best way to deal with Samsung's support? I opened a service request last week and they are sending me a new OCB (even though I told them the issue isn't with the OCB) because apparently they have to send that first before sending a tech out. It was supposedly sent out Saturday and I was told I would receive tracking information within 24 hours but haven't. I am now getting the runaround and being told there isn't even a service request open for my TV. I recall someone awhile ago saying there is a higher level of support that you should be talking to but that it isn't easy to get to. Any help/hints would be great.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Actually a steady 15Mps data stream will do 4K just fine. Netflix recommends 25Mps to be sure you do not blame them if your streaming is not solid at 15 Mbps.

Cheers

·
Registered
301 Posts
Can someone tell me how I can reinstall apps on this set? I'm having issues with Plex (cant move down off the top menu bar to select through my library and pick something to watch) and amazon (video stuttering every few seconds) apps, and in the past I just reinstalled them and this seemed to fix the issue. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I did it, so if someone could remind me, that would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hdr

Hello, I'm about to play some 4K HDR Movies (mkv. from HDD). My question is, do I have to turn on HDR+ function on TV in order to play movies with HDR or should I leave it on OFF? Thank you

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Hello, I'm about to play some 4K HDR Movies (mkv. from HDD). My question is, do I have to turn on HDR+ function on TV in order to play movies with HDR or should I leave it on OFF? Thank you
Read the first post for lots of good info.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Can someone tell me how I can reinstall apps on this set? I'm having issues with Plex (cant move down off the top menu bar to select through my library and pick something to watch) and amazon (video stuttering every few seconds) apps, and in the past I just reinstalled them and this seemed to fix the issue. Unfortunately, I don't remember how I did it, so if someone could remind me, that would be great. Thanks!

I believe you need to go I to the app store and then move to the My Apps tab. I believe it is in there somewhere but I am not at home to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Hold down select on app in store. It's in our owners guide found on post 1.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Been playing around with settings, and I sorta like HDR+mode for SDR. After I put LED Clear Motion on, there aren't distractingly bright parts. Now the question is, can I make the TV default to HDR+ to only SDR and stay to my non HDR+ mode settings to HDR? It currently either defaults to HDR+ for everything or nothing.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Been playing around with settings, and I sorta like HDR+mode for SDR. After I put LED Clear Motion on, there aren't distractingly bright parts. Now the question is, can I make the TV default to HDR+ to only SDR and stay to my non HDR+ mode settings to HDR? It currently either defaults to HDR+ for everything or nothing.
Short answer no. HDR+ will stay on until you turn it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has an ever so slight concave bend at the middle as well. Think of it as a "bonus feature"
Mine does too. Only time I notice it is if the screen is very very dark and the blinds are open. The image isn't affected at all, just the reflection of the individual blinds have a slight wave in them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Look Quick
I don't think this one has been asked before. When you turn off your set, and the screen goes to black from the top and the bottom, it looks to me that some text briefly is displayed before the screen goes all black. Has anyone caught what it says, or am I nuts?

24761 - 24780 of 37175 Posts