AVS Forum banner

2861 - 2880 of 37300 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Received my 55" KS8000 (model AA02) yesterday. Out of the box the picture quality isn't blowing me away. I did some streaming on my roku and the picture quality didn't look as HD as my old 40" 1080p Samsung. I did some gaming which looked solid and watched one blu-ray movie. Still not sold on this TV and the supposed upscaling that improves picture quality. I primarily use a Playstation 4 for blu-rays and gaming. Any settings recommendations?
I remember the out-of-box settings were horrible. Try the settings from here http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings, particularly for Sharpness and Auto Motion Plus and see if that is more pleasing to the eye.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Received my 55" KS8000 (model AA02) yesterday. Out of the box the picture quality isn't blowing me away. I did some streaming on my roku and the picture quality didn't look as HD as my old 40" 1080p Samsung. I did some gaming which looked solid and watched one blu-ray movie. Still not sold on this TV and the supposed upscaling that improves picture quality. I primarily use a Playstation 4 for blu-rays and gaming. Any settings recommendations?
I got the 55KS8000 to replace my ageing Samsung HD TV. I was blown away by the picture quality out of the box!

Try these for config info

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

and this

My son has a PS4 and just plays using whatever setting I leave the TV on. Always looks great and no apparent lag.

Reactions: The_Donster

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with the Smart Hub not loading at all? I press the home button a few times and their is no response. Even once it finally loads it's incredibly slow.

Any solutions?
Make sure you are on firmware 1114 and see if that helps. If that alone doesn't help, try also turning both autorun smart hub and load last app to OFF.

Those are my settings and my response times are immediate from Smart Hub and the apps. Plus, the apps don't freeze anymore for me.

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Without any detailed calibration, try "special viewing mode" HDR+. Many, including myself, find it pleasing to the eye. Make sure you are on firmware 1114 and report back with your thoughts...

Updated firmware and switched to HDR+. Does look better but I'm currently watching an older film on blu-ray. Would the HDR+ picture mode work well with console gaming?

Reactions: Terminader

·
Registered
528 Posts
Updated firmware and switched to HDR+. Does look better but I'm currently watching an older film on blu-ray. Would the HDR+ picture mode work well with console gaming?
I use Game Mode for console gaming -- it gives better input lag (20ms instead of 40ms). Also, you can/should customize your settings per source (set Apply Picture Settings to Current Source and tweak away). You can still change settings for Game and HDR+ mode as well; for example I use different Dynamic Contrast settings for HDR+ vs. Movie mode.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't know why people expect a better picture due to upscaling. In fact, it degrades the picture by introducing artifacts and/or bringing out the imperfections in the broadcast. The best picture will always be when the TV is displaying its native content. This TV upscales well compared to others on the market but it will never make a 1080 picture look better. What this TV does do well is displaying 4K content, HDR content, inky blacks, very bright brights, and excellent color. I suggest turning down the sharpness to 0. Turning motion blur to 0. And turning off Digital Clean View. You can search back in this thread for my other settings if need be. Also, try streaming from the native apps on the TV as well. Especially 4K content.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Does anyone else have a problem with the Smart Hub not loading at all? I press the home button a few times and their is no response. Even once it finally loads it's incredibly slow.

Any solutions?
Yes, since 1112. My plan tonight is to remove my cable box pairing with the remote. It seems that the smarthub loads thumbnails of current cable content. This may be whats causing the slow down when first opening the hub.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Make sure you are on firmware 1114 and see if that helps. If that alone doesn't help, try also turning both autorun smart hub and load last app to OFF.

Those are my settings and my response times are immediate from Smart Hub and the apps. Plus, the apps don't freeze anymore for me.

Terminader do you have your cable box paired with the remote and does it load thumbnails for currently playing channels?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yes, since 1112. My plan tonight is to remove my cable box pairing with the remote. It seems that the smarthub loads thumbnails of current cable content. This may be whats causing the slow down when first opening the hub.
Had this issue as well. Did a reset and it resolved the issue entirely. Thumb Nails are not the issue/problem.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hey Guys,

Long time reader, first time poster. My 10 year old Samsung DLP died after years of faithful service. I could have fixed the color wheel but decided it was time for a new TV. After doing my research, I narrowed it down to the KS8500 or the x930D.

Eventually I went with the KS8500 from Costco about 3 weeks ago just because it was at the time almost $800 cheaper than the x930d. I really like the intuitively of the Tizen interface and how you can switch back and forth between programming easily but Sony's Android seems to have a ton of apps and future proof maybe (?).

It's been a few weeks and I don't know what it is but when I'm watching my KS8500 my eyes sort of hurt and I've been getting headaches. I've NEVER had any problems like this with the DLP or even my LCD monitors and I watch/play for hours at a time. I don't know if I'm sensitive to LED . . . or if it's the curve or I need to adjust my settings. I do feel like my eyes need to focus more when there's faster motion happening and I did read from random googling that some people might be a little more sensitive to LED TVs due to the flickering?

So here's my question . . . I noticed that rtings.com showed 16ms response time for motion blur for the Samsung vs 10ms for the x930d. I'm not sure if it's the flicker that's causing it but the review also does say that for the Sony:

"The response time of the pixels is pretty quick, which means motion blur is not a problem. This TV isn't flicker-free, unfortunately (all other Sony TVs we reviewed in the last few years were), and this is more noticeable at a lower backlight level. The frequency of the flickering is high, though, so it isn't as noticeable as PWM on Samsung TVs."

So could that be what's causing the headaches with the Samsung? Would I find that maybe my eyes and head wouldn't as much if I went to the Sony x930d due to less motion blur?

Thanks guys!
I finally got my set today so I may be able to answer your question. The 16ms response time is so low that it shouldn't be inducing any kind of headache - the difference between that and 10ms should be effectively imperceptible 99.9% of the time. And those numbers are frankly pretty low.

I did notice while playing around with my settings that there is an Auto Motion Plus setting called LED Clear Motion. Had no idea what it did so I turned it on. The flicker instantly gave me a headache. I could not turn it off fast enough - I still have a headache ten minutes later. Rememebered your post and thought I'd mention this in case you'd turned on the setting and left it that way. I'm normally not too sensitive to flicker but that setting made me want to vomit.

Aside from that, though, loving this TV so far.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Love this TV so far. Had to make a few adjustments out of the box but so far, so good. I'm impressed by the contrast and I haven't even viewed any HDR content yet. In regular daylight this thing is excellent. Happy to say I have very, very minimal light bleed at the top, but am sitting a little lower than average so it is understandable. Looks like I got an AA02 panel. Got a great price on it so I am very happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
So not sure if anyone cares or remembers, but I had written many posts back about how my UN65KS8000 was awesome and didn't have any light bleed or banding issues, however it did suffer from 10 dead pixels. I wouldn't notice the dead pixels from a distance, however up close they stood out to me. Anyways, I was debating on getting Samsung to replace the panel, knowing the risk of potentially getting one that had light bleed and banding issues. I decided to roll the dice.

Anyways, a Samsung authorized technician by the name of Jose from Williston TV came by today and did an amazing job of replacing the panel. I was able to do a quick inspection while he was still here and didn't notice anything wrong at the time. However after he left I was able to discover ONE stuck pixel (I don't think it's a dead pixel since it's got a glossy color to it and not pitch black). So here's my question, is it worth the hassle to try to have them come back replace a brand new panel for just one pixel or should I just live with it? Other than that the panel seems to be flawless so far, no noticeable light bleed or banding issues, but then again I haven't had ample time to inspect for that.

Also, another thing I noticed was that the silver bezel on the bottom of the screen is a bit detached from the TV on the right side. See the attached photos. The first photo is of the left side of the bezel which is completely fine (that's just tape wrapping that hasn't been removed yet). The second pic though is of the right side and it kind of bothers me that the bezel is slightly detached. I tried applying pressure to get it to stick, but it keeps popping back out. What do you guys think? Call and complain or live with the one stuck pixel and try to superglue the bezel down?

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
Unplug the tv while it's still on. Leave unplugged for a few minutes. Plug back in. Should turn on by itself and most likely will fix the smart hub issue..
Good advice! This worked for me.
Tried this, and it did nothing, but glad it worked for you. Was super pissed it didn't work and had to do my 3rd reset since owning it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So not sure if anyone cares or remembers, but I had written many posts back about how my UN65KS8000 was awesome and didn't have any light bleed or banding issues, however it did suffer from 10 dead pixels. I wouldn't notice the dead pixels from a distance, however up close they stood out to me. Anyways, I was debating on getting Samsung to replace the panel, knowing the risk of potentially getting one that had light bleed and banding issues. I decided to roll the dice.

Anyways, a Samsung authorized technician by the name of Jose from Williston TV came by today and did an amazing job of replacing the panel. I was able to do a quick inspection while he was still here and didn't notice anything wrong at the time. However after he left I was able to discover ONE stuck pixel (I don't think it's a dead pixel since it's got a glossy color to it and not pitch black). So here's my question, is it worth the hassle to try to have them come back replace a brand new panel for just one pixel or should I just live with it? Other than that the panel seems to be flawless so far, no noticeable light bleed or banding issues, but then again I haven't had ample time to inspect for that.

Also, another thing I noticed was that the silver bezel on the bottom of the screen is a bit detached from the TV on the right side. See the attached photos. The first photo is of the left side of the bezel which is completely fine (that's just tape wrapping that hasn't been removed yet). The second pic though is of the right side and it kind of bothers me that the bezel is slightly detached. I tried applying pressure to get it to stick, but it keeps popping back out. What do you guys think? Call and complain or live with the one stuck pixel and try to superglue the bezel down?
The bezel sticking out would bother me. The tech should have checked his work. As for the stuck pixel you can sometimes fix them. Go to youtube on the TV and play this video for a while.

Edit: This video is better

2861 - 2880 of 37300 Posts