AVS Forum banner

29401 - 29420 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question thoughtfully and quite extensively. I love how my picture looks with HDR+
So do I but I suggest you lower the backlight.

My HDR+ with SDR settings are:

Backlight: 14 (you may want to dial that down even further)
Brightness: 46
Contract: 86
Sharpness: 15 (personal taste may want to reduce or turn to 0)
Colour: 50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom - Blur 8, Judder 5, LED Clear Motion: Off
Smart LED: High
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Colour Tone: Warm1
Gamma: 0
Colour Space: Native

·
Registered
78 Posts
So do I but I suggest you lower the backlight.

My HDR+ with SDR settings are:

Backlight: 14 (you may want to dial that down even further)
Brightness: 46
Contract: 86
Sharpness: 15 (personal taste may want to reduce or turn to 0)
Colour: 50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Custom - Blur 8, Judder 5, LED Clear Motion: Off
Smart LED: High
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Colour Tone: Warm1
Gamma: 0
Colour Space: Native
Thanks Blenky. Im going to lower the backlight as well. At 20, sometimes I'm like Yikes! Thats bright.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Anybody watched the new Star Trek on Netflix? Its advertised on Netflix as HDR. When I play it (on both my TV and my Samsung UHD Blu ray player) it is definitely HDR but only 1080P (Mbps maxes out at 5.53).

Never seen a standard HD show in HDR before.
Netflix's Daredevil is HDR, but I don't believe it's 4K.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I go to the Color Button, button, right below the power pip and then scroll over to the i in a circle/info and it will pop up a frail block of text in the upper left corner. If the, I don't remember what the topic is, but if it shows 2160 (I think) you're 4K. It'll also give you some other info. And you have to press the info "button" again to get it to go away. It does not work for all the apps and does different info stuff depending on what you are having the remote control. But I have seen it do it in a good many of the apps.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I go to the Color Button, button, right below the power pip and then scroll over to the i in a circle/info and it will pop up a frail block of text in the upper left corner. If the, I don't remember what the topic is, but if it shows 2160 (I think) you're 4K. It'll also give you some other info. And you have to press the info "button" again to get it to go away. It does not work for all the apps and does different info stuff depending on what you are having the remote control. But I have seen it do it in a good many of the apps.
I did that last night watching "The Defenders", which is also HDR. I don't remember seeing any resolution info in the popup, and I was specifically looking for that. But you're right, I did have to hit the circled "i" again to make it go away.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I did that last night watching "The Defenders", which is also HDR. I don't remember seeing any resolution info in the popup, and I was specifically looking for that. But you're right, I did have to hit the circled "i" again to make it go away.
As soon as this killer techno spa music stops and I become coherent again, I'll look and post what to look for.

Think pretty colors . . . .

OK. I've stopped drooling . . .

(it will not let me post a picture) (and it was such a pretty picture)

This was on Daredevil (I had the logo and everything . . . )

00:00:00/00:00:000
Video: 15.26 Mbps / 2160
Audio: English / 5.1 (PRIMARY)
TimedText: Off (PRIMARY)

Save

·
Registered
934 Posts
Picture-wise, I don't notice a change, but it seems they fixed the low sound volume issue that the last firmware had. I would go ahead and update it.
Damn, knew I forgot something, but in my defense I did post about it in another post :D

I believe it debuted in the States last night on CBS
Yes and shown on Netflix in the UK Mondays. 1080p HDR - woot.
Yeah, but it is basically a teaser to try and get people to subscribe to their streaming service @jconjason. I ended up recording it on the downstairs DVR. Well, you guys have that going for you @blenky :p What'd you think?

Yeah, it and the rest of the Marvel Knights are 4K HDR @Rolls-Royce. Watched S2 EP 12 of Daredevil last night. Whenever I'm in doubt I click on the 123 button on the remote and click i to check the resolution. Sadly it takes a minute for it to kick up to 2160 on mine :(

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I watched it via my Samsung UHD bluuray. Info button displays resolution and Mbps

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Damn, knew I forgot something, but in my defense I did post about it in another post :D

Yeah, but it is basically a teaser to try and get people to subscribe to their streaming service @jconjason. I ended up recording it on the downstairs DVR. Well, you guys have that going for you @blenky :p What'd you think?

Yeah, it and the rest of the Marvel Knights are 4K HDR @Rolls-Royce. Watched S2 EP 12 of Daredevil last night. Whenever I'm in doubt I click on the 123 button on the remote and click i to check the resolution. Sadly it takes a minute for it to kick up to 2160 on mine :(
Watched the first ep so far. It was OK - bags of potential.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
As soon as this killer techno spa music stops and I become coherent again, I'll look and post what to look for.

Think pretty colors . . . .

OK. I've stopped drooling . . .

(it will not let me post a picture) (and it was such a pretty picture)

This was on Daredevil (I had the logo and everything . . . )

00:00:00/00:00:000
Video: 15.26 Mbps / 2160
Audio: English / 5.1 (PRIMARY)
TimedText: Off (PRIMARY)

Save
That's what I saw, as well. I think the lack of an "X NNNN" after the 2160 was what screwed me up...:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My KS8500 updated to firmware version 1203 recently. Now the TV cannot see the input from my Roku Premier Plus unless I first reboot the TV (hold power button down).
Try rebuilding the connection as if the Roku was brand new to the system. By this, I mean turning off the TV and Roku, disconnecting the cable, turning the TV on and then off to try and reset the input, reconnecting the cable and then powering on the TV followed by the Roku. You want them to do the initial discovery and handshake all over again.
Rebuilding the connection had no effect. I also tried changing the output of the Roku to 1080p then moving the HDMI cable to the next port on the One Connect box. This also had no effect on the original issue.

Is there a setting on the TV I could change?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Rebuilding the connection had no effect. I also tried changing the output of the Roku to 1080p then moving the HDMI cable to the next port on the One Connect box. This also had no effect on the original issue.

Is there a setting on the TV I could change?
You could try renaming that input. If you select the input then scroll up to "edit", it gives you a list of names such as PC, Blu-Ray Player, etc. It's more than just a name change. For instance, renaming the input to "PC" puts the set in PC mode. Conversely, renaming the input from "PC" to "Blu-Ray Player" puts the set back into regular video modes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am desperately seeking help. I finally managed to pick up a KS8000 and I tried using the recommended settings listed here over and over. I think I am doing something wrong here.

Taking it out of the box, I watched a 4K HDR on YouTube and was blown away. I currently have an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro hooked up to it.

Following the recommendations, the tv is dark and yellowish
If I change the color tone to standard, the yellow whites become whiter. It also looks better when the backlight is at 20 (100%) at all time.

On my Xbox, I played rocket league (1080p no HDR) and it looked really good at 20 backlight. I played Forza horizon 3 (1080p with HDR) and it also looked good. To matters worse, I have the new white dashboard and apparently, I should be blind with the 20 backlight.

On the PS4 I played the last of Us (1800p with HDR) and everything looked oversaturated (too bright) … the players seemed to bright.

I am really troubled by this. Everyone is stating 20 backlight is blinding with non HDR and that does not seem to be the case with me. I am also very new to HDR, what is the best contact I can download to see it. The YouTube videos are amazing (the colors stand out) but I am not sure if this is HDR or simply being 4K.

Current Settings
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 50
Tint G50/R50
Smart led high
UHD color on.
Dynamic Contrast High.
Color tone Standard.
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto

·
Registered
771 Posts
I am desperately seeking help. I finally managed to pick up a KS8000 and I tried using the recommended settings listed here over and over. I think I am doing something wrong here.

Taking it out of the box, I watched a 4K HDR on YouTube and was blown away. I currently have an Xbox One S and PS4 Pro hooked up to it.

Following the recommendations, the tv is dark and yellowish
If I change the color tone to standard, the yellow whites become whiter. It also looks better when the backlight is at 20 (100%) at all time.

On my Xbox, I played rocket league (1080p no HDR) and it looked really good at 20 backlight. I played Forza horizon 3 (1080p with HDR) and it also looked good. To matters worse, I have the new white dashboard and apparently, I should be blind with the 20 backlight.

On the PS4 I played the last of Us (1800p with HDR) and everything looked oversaturated (too bright) … the players seemed to bright.

I am really troubled by this. Everyone is stating 20 backlight is blinding with non HDR and that does not seem to be the case with me. I am also very new to HDR, what is the best contact I can download to see it. The YouTube videos are amazing (the colors stand out) but I am not sure if this is HDR or simply being 4K.

Current Settings
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Color 50
Tint G50/R50
Smart led high
UHD color on.
Dynamic Contrast High.
Color tone Standard.
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto
If you think the TV isn't bright enough try turning Dynamic Contrast off. For Movies color tone being set to Warm2 is supposed to be the most accurate representation of the source as to what the director wanted you to see, but for games I don't think it matters. Beyond that, it's your TV so whatever you're happy with as far as the settings. They're called "recommended" settings, after all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is likely the problem because it is not done by default on these or most/all HDR TVs:

Unless you did the following, you will not be receiving HDR signal from external devices, like your consoles:

In the TV's section:

Picture -> Expert Settings -> HDMI UHD Color -> make sure the setting is "on" for the HDMI input # that you are using on the TV for that device. If using a AVR for the device make sure the HDMI input # on the TV for the AVR is "on" for this setting.
All HDMI UHD Color are on.

29401 - 29420 of 37175 Posts