AVS Forum banner

31001 - 31020 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
And you're helping perpetuate this garbage by posting it on a very popular forum....
He's posting it while at the same time pointing out how bad it is, if people can't use basic comprehension skills while reading the post then that's on the reader.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
He's posting it while at the same time pointing out how bad it is, if people can't use basic comprehension skills while reading the post then that's on the reader.
Perhaps the OP could have made his personal comments on the videos YouTube page, rather than advertising the video here.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Perhaps the OP could have made his personal comments on the videos YouTube page, rather than advertising the video here.
The OP was contributing to a previous discussion about the difficulty of average users tweaking the TV settings properly, the video was to accentuate his point. I think we should let this topic rest so we don't get ourselves in trouble from moderators.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
We did, but I think this is reliant on the BBC updating the iPlayer app to support our sets which I do not think they have done yet (they may not know that this set now supports it). Someone needs to contact them??

Panasonic has some 2015 models supported :mad:
I certainly will, but it can't just be me, please can all of us UK folk get to it?

I don't think the TV supports HLG.
Good news: we know, for a fact, that it does. Many of us have successfully played both test HLG clips from usb sticks, as well as HLG content from YouTube.

We even know as much detail as this: it was firmware 1165.1 from Sat 25 Feb 2017 which added the support.

I've seen the thing about YouTube HLG but isn't that not a direct HLG clip it's wrapped in YouTubes VP9 codec?.
Unavoidable technobabble follows :(

HLG is just the EOTF. YouTube's VP9 Profile 2 codec, which is very efficient and used for their 4K streams, supports both types of HDR: the "PQ" based (as used in HDR10), and "HLG" based.

In short, our TVs support 3 completely different EOTFs:
  1. Gamma, as used for SDR content
  2. PQ, as used in HDR10
  3. HLG, as used for HDR content which doesn't need metadata
The codec being used for any of the clips played back isn't relevant; HLG support is built in at a very low level as I hope you can see.

Very disappointed would like to have watched this in HDR.
I too am disappointed that it's not YET supported, we need to persuade the BBC to get their finger out.

They currently list all the Samsung 2017 models.

Hmm, perhaps the fly in the ointment could be Samsung's fault. This is because Samsung, stupidly, refuses to admit in public that it supports HLG. Absolutely refuses to issue a single public statement on the subject. See the long-running argument on this thread.

ps. That so-called "calibration" idiot on YouTube. I know who it is without even looking. I used to correct all the misinformation via YouTube comments. The result was very frustrating:
  • He wouldn't read, acknowledge or reply
  • His acolytes would argue back, or just drown good information with masses of noise
  • He'd create another new video to "reply" with a new set of errors and spread a new round of misinformation
  • Worst of all, more and more acolytes would appear, praising him, asking for his advice as if he knew what he was talking about when it's as plain as your nose that he doesn't
The only sane response is to give up and leave him to it. His acolytes are welcome to wallow in bad advice, as long as they don't try and spread it here where we try to help :)

(But, nothing wrong with giving a "thumbs down" to all his videos. We're not far away from getting more "thumbs down" than "thumbs up" for some of them. Maybe that might give him pause for thought.)

pps. Important! To all UK users with a BBC iplayer account: They are running a survey at bbc.in/newhome so please can as many people as possible fill it in and request support for HLG on the "SAMSUNG TV 2016 JAZZM TIZEN" models.

·
Registered
706 Posts
One of the things I was discussing with the US office a while back was how they would overcome the connectivity issues in order to enable a new Evo Kit to work with the 2016 and 2017 sets. There was some disagreement as to which models from each each year the kit would work with, and of course whether such a kit would provide any significant upgrade in performance based on the limitations of the panels. As of this writing, nothing has been decided, and there doesn't seem to be much support from the South Korean headquarters for a new kit.
Argh. Between eARC and ASTC 3.0 alone, that would be a massive improvement!

·
26,161 Posts
I think we should let this topic rest so we don't get ourselves in trouble from moderators.
Thank you. Yes, we did get a couple of report posts from the discussion.

Let's move on.....

thanks

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I certainly will, but it can't just be me, please can all of us UK folk get to it?

pps. Important! To all UK users with a BBC iplayer account: They are running a survey at bbc.in/newhome so please can as many people as possible fill it in and request support for HLG on the "SAMSUNG TV 2016 JAZZM TIZEN" models.
Sent a tweet earlier to @samsungtv and filled in the survey!

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts

I put this on Avforums so hopefully we can get more onboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello everyone,

long time lurker here, finally registered. Idk if this has been talked about already, but how do I stop my PS4 from turning on everytime I turn on the TV? It's really annoying me.
If you don't care about using your PS4 to control your TV or vice-versa, turn off the HDMI Device Link function in your PS4:

Settings > System > Enable HDMI Device Link UNCHECKED

If you don't want to use your TV to control other devices, have other devices control your TV, or use ARC over HDMI, then turn off Anynet + (aka HDMI-CEC) on your TV:

Menu button > Expert Settings > Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) OFF
The way I solve this is by switching to another source (TV tuner in my case) after turning off the PS4, and then turning the TV off. If I leave the source as the PS4 and then turn the TV off, the PS4 will turn on automatically the next time I turn the TV on.

It's annoying, but ARC and CEC work great for me so I don't want to give that up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ps. That so-called "calibration" idiot on YouTube. I know who it is without even looking. I used to correct all the misinformation via YouTube comments. The result was very frustrating:
  • He wouldn't read, acknowledge or reply
  • His acolytes would argue back, or just drown good information with masses of noise
  • He'd create another new video to "reply" with a new set of errors and spread a new round of misinformation
  • Worst of all, more and more acolytes would appear, praising him, asking for his advice as if he knew what he was talking about when it's as plain as your nose that he doesn't
The only sane response is to give up and leave him to it. His acolytes are welcome to wallow in bad advice, as long as they don't try and spread it here where we try to help :)
Yes, I thought that too - I briefly subscribed to his channel, but once I realised the utter nonsense there, he was gone - he's undergone at least one name change too.

pps. Important! To all UK users with a BBC iplayer account: They are running a survey at bbc.in/newhome so please can as many people as possible fill it in and request support for HLG on the "SAMSUNG TV 2016 JAZZM TIZEN" models.[/SIZE]
Filled in the survey last night, and marked the app itself as poor because of the lack of support - I very much doubt BBC iplayer engineers are unaware our sets support HLG, they do after-all have some very VERY knowledgable people in their ranks who know their tech. I suspect it's probably Samsung here playing a bit of sophistry by only allowing the 2017 sets to be supported, a la YouTube 4K (and you know what I'm fully waiting for the day that Samsung remove that app from the TV as 'no longer supported' - wouldn't be the first time they've pulled that move).

·
Registered
272 Posts
I put this on Avforums so hopefully we can get more onboard.
I don't live in the UK but can understand the importance of completing this survey. I would still like to complete the survey just in case this app (or a newer one) becomes availlable in the Netherlands in the future with the correct support for our television.

If possible can someone post the correct answers?

I dont know what to answer with questions like:
2 When you launch BBC iPlayer does the screen look similar to one of the images below?

3 Please tell us about your TV device.
Your TV device details can be found in the BBC iPlayer App by going to Settings/Settings & Help/ Help/ System Information. And then take a note of the details that appear next to the Device field (see the image below)

Haven't gotten to the rest of the questions yet :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Any update on the hdr update for gaming, and how do I know if hdr is enabled when using the xbox one s?
I'd like to know this as well. Does the TV still pop up a dialog box that tells you there is HDR content or was that eliminated in a firmware patch at some point?

Destiny 2 updated to HDR, but I never saw anything on my TV. The last time I saw the notification was playing The Last of Us on PS4 Pro, but that was earlier in the Spring.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'd like to know this as well. Does the TV still pop up a dialog box that tells you there is HDR content or was that eliminated in a firmware patch at some point?

Destiny 2 updated to HDR, but I never saw anything on my TV. The last time I saw the notification was playing The Last of Us on PS4 Pro, but that was earlier in the Spring.
The HDR banner has indeed been removed but I read last night that Destiny 2 HDR update doesn't work on PS4 Pro. This is up to Bungie to fix.

31001 - 31020 of 37175 Posts