AVS Forum banner

3141 - 3160 of 37300 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Guess I'm not the only one with a Vudu launch issue. I really love the speed at which you can switch between OTA and apps on this television, but they really need to get these bugs fixed. It's embarrassing. I updated my TV to 1114, but Samsung doesn't seem to tell you what their updates fix or add.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Guess I'm not the only one with a Vudu launch issue. I really love the speed at which you can switch between OTA and apps on this television, but they really need to get these bugs fixed. It's embarrassing. I updated my TV to 1114, but Samsung doesn't seem to tell you what their updates fix or add.
Vudu is aware of the issue with the Vudu app and is working with Samsung on a fix. Here is the link to the Vudu forum discussing the problem..

https://forum.vudu.com/showthread.php?948482-Samsung-KS8500-Can-t-Connect&p=1290502#post1290502

Glad I had someone point that out to me because I was getting ready to exchange it this weekend. My buddies tv has the vudu app working fine but he hasn't done any updates on the tv for the last 3 weeks since his new house didn't have internet connected.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is it just me or does HDR+ seem to create the 'soap opera' effect? I've got those settings turned off, but when I enable HDR+ it seems to come back as a part of that setting.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is it just me or does HDR+ seem to create the 'soap opera' effect? I've got those settings turned off, but when I enable HDR+ it seems to come back as a part of that setting.

Can you check that AutoMotion Plus is turned off specifically for HDR+? The TV treats HDR+ as a totally separate mode, so turning off AutoMotion Plus in Movie mode will not carry over to HDR+. You'll need to explicitly turn it off again in HDR+.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just got my KS8000 set, really looks amazing overall with all content. Although I had one concern that I noticed. When booting up the Xbox One I noticed on the green startup screen it looked slightly pixelated in the corners, as well as on some stationary load screens in game. Looks great when actually playing. I use the Xbox One in game mode and calibrated to the best of my ability. So is the slightly pixelated look just because of the TV being 4K and upscaling or something? Very new to all this. Please share some insight.
IMO game mode just isn't worth it from a picture quality standpoint. All (or most) of the processing is stripped to deliver the fastest response, and since you're dealing with a native 1080p or worse image from the console, you're seeing the TV upscale without any enhancements to compensate for the non-native resolution. My experience with game mode is that it's just a glorified torch mode - I much prefer gaming in movie mode with appropriate PQ settings applied. You're likely just seeing the result of upscaling. I'd love for someone else to post the settings they find best in game mode.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing a TV from Amazon. Mainly in terms of "panel lottery" - if you've gotten any thing from amazon, has the quality control been OK? Is there a definite lottery for the KS8000 series? Searching this thread the opinions on that seem pretty mixed.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Agreed, it is an excellent user experience when it works! I've been good since 1114, but not sure why others continue to have the issues that I also had prior to 1114. Other potential differences could be the DNS entry which I changed many, many times to try to solve the problem prior to 1114 plus I put my TV in my router's DMZ. I was desperately trying to solve the SmartHub issues. Now that everything is working very smoothly, I'm afraid to change anything including whatever Samsung does in their next firmware change!

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
answers here
Need info on

1) calibration and where links are
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sam...s8000/settings
2) How to engage HDR
will activate itself when HDR material is played
3) How to engage and uses of HDR+
settings-picture-special viewing mode
4) Sources of 4K and HDR
http://demo-uhd3d.com/
5) How to turn off lit Samsung logo
settings somewhere.. cant remember but its there
6) How to check for firmware updates
settings somewhere.. cant remember but its there
7) How to reboot stuck apps
2 - From what I've read on here, you have to enter the app while in movie mode and when you start playing an HDR video, check the picture --> expert settings and make sure back light is maxed out (20 I believe)
3 - As others have pointed out, it is believed that HDR+ is a setting to "upscale" non HDR content to look like HDR content. Also, many people think it actually makes HDR content look better.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has had experience purchasing a TV from Amazon. Mainly in terms of "panel lottery" - if you've gotten any thing from amazon, has the quality control been OK? Is there a definite lottery for the KS8000 series? Searching this thread the opinions on that seem pretty mixed.
Too lazy to re-type my experience, so shamelessly providing some links to my previous posts:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-59.html#post44709569
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-64.html#post44774009
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-80.html#post45001538

I could not be happier with my experience with Amazon. It is important to make sure you are buying from Amazon itself and not a 3rd party vendor.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No dice. Still being throttled.

Tested PC and got 176mbps down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't call that throttling. That's a limitation of the TV. Wireless is a faster option if you are connected to an AC router, but it's still limited to the power of the TV which significantly less than a PC.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My old 65" Hu8550 did have better sound but it was definitely a thicker set. these KS8000 sets are so thin it's crazy. Looking at your pics I would say something is up with the PQ on the KS. looks like their is film over the screen. Before I sold the HU8550 I had them side by side and even back then with the old firmware the KS was more vivid (both in movie mode)
Wow, it is hard to believe , that anyone that listens to the "noise" made by the sets speakers , is really interested in sound quality. Seriously, the sound quality is similar to a '60 s transistor radio.

Cheers

·
Registered
535 Posts
I wouldn't call that throttling. That's a limitation of the TV. Wireless is a faster option if you are connected to an AC router, but it's still limited to the power of the TV which significantly less than a PC.
Wireless is faster than ethernet? Since when and in what parallel universe? I have a Wireless AC router but the TV's wireless signal is wishy washy at best.

·
Registered
52 Posts
2 - From what I've read on here, you have to enter the app while in movie mode and when you start playing an HDR video, check the picture --> expert settings and make sure back light is maxed out (20 I believe)
3 - As others have pointed out, it is believed that HDR+ is a setting to "upscale" non HDR content to look like HDR content. Also, many people think it actually makes HDR content look better.

I wish that the KS8000/8500 was a little more consistent in notifying you when it is playing HDR content. When you play a HDR movie from a USB device, it pops a nice message in the top corner saying "HDR Content playing from USB device". But when you play HDR content from Amazon Video or Netflix, it just switches. No notification at all that it is playing HDR content.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wireless is faster than ethernet? Since when and in what parallel universe? I have a Wireless AC router but the TV's wireless signal is wishy washy at best.
In this universe. Wireless AC is faster than Wired 100mb (range dependent of course). This TV does not have Gigabit. Lookup those speed comparisons yourself. As for proof on this TV, take a gander. Speed tests done thru Netflix app. Wireless router is in the same room as my TV-

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
In this universe. Wireless AC is faster than Wired 100mb (range dependent of course). This TV does not have Gigabit. Lookup those speed comparisons yourself. As for proof on this TV, take a gander. Speed tests done thru Netflix app. Wireless router is in the same room as my TV-
You have to be kidding me.... this TV doesn't have gigabit ethernet? That is stupid. I have wireless drop out issues with this TV when I first got it so I ran an ethernet and haven't had issues since. While I have zero issues buffering I just wanted to check the speed the TV gets and this is how my "issue" developed. Tomorrow morning when the Wife is sleeping I'll tinker around with WIFI and see the speed differences.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Have an aging LG NAS that has a built-in DLNA media server. My KS8000 sees it as a media device but can pull up none of the media files. Other devices in the house can see media - can I assume it's an age difference between the TV and this now-unsupported device and/or changes to DLNA protocol? I don't have an issue with putting up another media server and just running the LG as NAS-only for the rest of its unnatural life, but just looking for confirmation that that's my issue - or am I missing some setting somewhere with the KS8000?
I think a NAS on the LAN is not supported on this TV. The user manual says certain files can be played but only using via USB.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Too lazy to re-type my experience, so shamelessly providing some links to my previous posts:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-59.html#post44709569
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-64.html#post44774009
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2387466-official-samsung-ks8000-ks8500-owners-thread-80.html#post45001538

I could not be happier with my experience with Amazon. It is important to make sure you are buying from Amazon itself and not a 3rd party vendor.
I have purchased two sets via Amazon Prime and both were pretty seamless.
However I never had to return or exchange.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yeah, VUDU apparently is plaguing not only Samsung. I'd read some scuttlebutt about it in the P Series before I decided on the 8000. Hope they get it worked out before I get my flat screen next week.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've seen this tv on sale on different sites online. All brand new and free shipping. I'm talking $400-$500 cheaper. I wonder if Best Buy will price match that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3141 - 3160 of 37300 Posts