AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 37300 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
You have to be kidding me.... this TV doesn't have gigabit ethernet? That is stupid. I have wireless drop out issues with this TV when I first got it so I ran an ethernet and haven't had issues since. While I have zero issues buffering I just wanted to check the speed the TV gets and this is how my "issue" developed. Tomorrow morning when the Wife is sleeping I'll tinker around with WIFI and see the speed differences.
I had an ethernet cable connected as well until a Samsung remote app called myTifi started offering the ability to turn the TV on thru the network if connected wirelessly. I never had a problem streaming video wired or wireless, but the Xfinity Sampler app would not play conistently without freezes and breakups. I tested my network options and discovered the speed differences. The Xfinity app just sucks a little less than the Vudu app.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I had an ethernet cable connected as well until a Samsung remote app called myTifi started offering the ability to turn the TV on thru the network if connected wirelessly. I never had a problem streaming video wired or wireless, but the Xfinity Sampler app would not play conistently without freezes and breakups. I tested my network options and discovered the speed differences. The Xfinity app just sucks a little less than the Vudu app.
Strange, I don't use Vudu so can't speak to that, but my Xfinity UHD Sampler app works flawlessly. No freezes, glitches or anything.

·
Registered
890 Posts
2 - From what I've read on here, you have to enter the app while in movie mode and when you start playing an HDR video, check the picture --> expert settings and make sure back light is maxed out (20 I believe)
3 - As others have pointed out, it is believed that HDR+ is a setting to "upscale" non HDR content to look like HDR content. Also, many people think it actually makes HDR content look better.
I downloaded a LG HDR Clip "Chess" and put it on an USB hard drive. My KS8000 was not in Movie mode and it played in HDR (with a pop up message saying it now plays in HDR). At least from the USB port, your TV does not need to be in Movie picture mode. I will do some test from the HDMI port (via the UHD player).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not picky about sound. Both my HU8550s have good sound natively (with no sound bar, no external amp, no external speakers), so one would think that the KS800D is capable for producing sound as least as good as the HU8550. If I can make this KS sound and video at least as good as the HUs, I'll keep it.
I have both KS8000 and LG UH8500. If you value the TV speaker sound quality, I would suggest LG UH8500. It has Harman Kardon designed audio and the TV actually sounds good without external speakers. Picture quality is quite good too, but the color is not as pop as KS8000. KS8000 sound is poor just like most of the TV out there, but that picture is hard to beat. The 4K looks great, the HDR looks stunning. Your old HU8550 may be good, but you really cannot compare 2014 non-HDR set to 2016 HDR set.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Me, too. If the selection won't load after a few tries, I go to Settings for Netflix, Help, and then reload Netflix. That always works and doesn't take as long as it sounds, but it's not why we bought new TVs, is it? :(
I have that issue sometimes. All I need to do is hit the back button and then play the video again.

·
Registered
528 Posts
KS8000/KS8500 FAQ
Updated: December 15, 2016
Latest change: Updated firmware version. Updated methods to check resolution. Hopefully more to come.

Prologue
First time readers: It is recommended that you read the rtings.com review of the KS8000 TV, as it is very detailed and thorough. You can find it here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000

Disclaimer: The contents of this FAQ are merely a consolidation of recommendations and answers to questions provided by contributors to this thread. They should by no means be taken as gospel. In the end, you should use your TV the way you want to use it.

Existing readers: If you would like to add content to this FAQ, please PM me with the actual text to include or a link to a post to reference.

Samsung E-Manual: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...0504171541226/ENG_US-JZATSCK-1.1.7-160504.pdf

Pre-purchase questions
Q: What is the difference between the KS8000 and KS8500?
A: The KS8000 is flat while the KS8500 is curved.

Q: What's the difference between the KS8000 and KS800D?
A: They are basically the same, except the KS8000 has a chrome bezel while the KS800D has a gray bezel, and is only sold at Costco. The KS850D is the Costco version of the KS8500.

Q: How wide are the stands on this TV?
A: The stands on the 55" TV is 44" apart, and there is only one position. The 65" TV has 2 options on where to position the stands. One position is 39" apart, while the other is 52" apart. We have yet to get confirmation on stand positions for the 49" and 60" TVs.

Q: What is the input lag of this TV?
A: Input lag in Game mode is around 20 ms. PC mode lag is closer to 40 ms. Other modes have around 100 ms, although this may depend on how much post-processing you turn on.

Q: Can I play video files from a USB drive?
A: Yes, you can connect a USB drive to the TV and play video files straight from the drive. Confirmed playable file formats include avi, mp4, and mkv.

Wall mounting
Q: Is there any guidance on how to wall mount the TV?
A: @The_Donster has written a good post on suggestions here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...00-ks8500-owners-thread-144.html#post45786297

Settings
Q: Where can I find some recommended calibration settings for this TV?
A: Rtings.com has some recommendations here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings. It is recommended that you further tune settings to your tastes.
Also, it is recommended that you turn off the Eco options (Settings --> System --> Eco Solution, turn off Eco Sensor, Energy Saving Mode, and Motion Lighting).

Q: Ok, I tried using the Rtings.com settings, but things still look bad. What do I do?
A: Here is a description of the various display settings as well as what they control; there is likely one or a combination of settings you can change to improve your picture. @King Richard also has an even more detailed post on picture settings; they are for Samsung's last generation TV but most of them still apply. He also gives better recommendations on how to calibrate each setting.

Picture Mode: These are high level modes that change all of the settings in the "expert settings" menu. Changing expert settings in one picture mode will not affect the settings in other picture modes. Usually, you should see 4 options here: Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Movie. Only Standard and Movie modes can engage a special "HDR mode" (see below). If you only see two options (Standard and Dynamic), then you are in a special "PC mode". To exit PC mode, press Home --> Source --> (highlight your input) --> press up (to select "^") --> Edit --> select something *other than* PC under "Device Icon" --> OK. See the "Connecting a PC" section for more information.

Special Viewing Mode: These are special modes that override the Picture Mode. Turning one of these on will disable selection of any other picture mode, regular or special. Options are Sports, Game, and HDR+. Game mode will reduce the input lag to around ~20 ms, at the cost of disabling certain settings. HDR+ mode will apply special processing to output 10 bit color. See the "HDR" section for more information.

Under Expert Settings:
Backlight: This controls how bright the LED backlights are. It will control how bright your TV is. If your TV looks dark, turn this up. If your eyes feel like they are being seared off, turn this down. Light bleed will be more prominent at higher Backlight settings. There is no real recommended value here, as it highly depends on your viewing conditions (e.g. ambient light) and personal preference.

Brightness: This controls the black level of the display. Having this too high makes your blacks look gray or "washed out". Setting this too low will cause "clipped" blacks, where you lose detail in dark and shadow areas. Recommended values: 40-45 (rtings.com: 45)

Contrast: This controls the white level of the display. Having this too low gives you a dimmer, less intense picture. Traditionally, having this too high will produce "crushed" or "clipped" whites, where you lose detail in bright areas. However, most KS8000 TVs don't have this problem. Recommended values: 80-100 (rtings.com: 100)

Sharpness: This applies a sharpening filter to the image to bring out edges in an image. In all modes outside of PC mode, any value above 0 will apply this filter. You will likely start seeing sharpening artifacts if this value is above 20. Recommended values: 0-20 (rtings.com: 0). In PC mode, the recommended value is 50, which is the true image. Higher values will apply a sharpening filter, while lower values will apply a blurring filter.

Color: This controls the color saturation of your image. You probably don't need to change this. Recommended value: 50. Higher values will cause loss of definition on brighter areas, while lower values will cause the image to look dull.

Tint (G/R): This applies a teal or magenta tint to the image. You probably don't need to change this. Recommended value: G50/R50.

Apply Picture Settings: If you set this to "All Sources", any settings change will get applied to all of your input sources. If you set this to "Current Source", a change to settings will only apply to the current input source. Recommended setting: Current Source

Digital Clean View: This applies a noise reduction/smoothing algorithm to the image. If you see too much grain in your image, you can turn this to Auto, although the image might then look too smooth. Recommended setting: Off

Auto Motion Plus: These settings attempt to reduce motion blur and judder. If you see too much blur in fast-moving scenes, try turning this on/higher. Higher values (or setting this to Auto) will introduce the "Soap Opera Effect" (SOE). Some people like SOE, while others don't. Recommended setting: Custom; Blur and Judder reduction: 0-3 (rtings.com: Off)

Smart LED: This controls localized dimming in your backlight. Turning this on will allow for deeper blacks when there are both dark and bright parts to the image. Recommended setting: High

Film Mode: This makes frame transitions smoother on interlaced sources (the i in 1080i). If you see interlace effects, turn this to Auto1.

HDMI UHD Color: Turning this on for your input source allows both HDR and 4k with 4:4:4/4:2:2 chroma at refresh rates higher than 30Hz (4k with 4:2:0 chroma at 50/60Hz should work with this off). If your input has HDR or is at 2160p resolution with anything higher than 30Hz, YOU MUST TURN THIS ON for that input. If you are not, then you can leave it off.

HDMI Black Level: This changes the mapping of colors when your input is RGB. It is disabled if you are receiving a signal in YCbCr. If you don't know what any of this means, you should probably just move along. If your source is outputting "RGB Limited", then you should set this to "Low"; if your source is outputting "RGB Full", then you should set this to "Normal". Setting this to "Auto" will typically not be smart enough to detect what type of RGB your source is outputting. For more information, see @King Richard's post here.

Dynamic Contrast: This applies special post-processing to increase contrast of the image. This behaves very differently when receiving SDR vs. HDR content. For SDR content, it is recommended that you set this to Off or Low, as higher values will cause loss of definition in dark/bright areas. For HDR content, Dynamic Contrast will make the image brighter. For HDR, recommend values are Low or Medium; Off will likely make the image too dark, while High may make the image too bright.

Color Tone: This changes the color tone or temperature of the image. Settings closer to Cool will apply more blue to the image, while settings closer to Warm2 will apply more red to the image. Warm2 is the setting that most accurately reproduces what a director intends for you to see, although this may look too red for some. For more information, @King Richard writes a good post here.

White Balance: This gives you the ability to make more detailed calibration changes to your TV. However, these values are very specific to each TV, and if you don't have special calibration gear, you should probably leave these alone. Recommended values: 2 point: 0; 10 point: Off. Rtings.com publishes the calibrated values FOR THEIR SPECIFIC TEST UNIT, but they do not recommend using them.

Gamma: This adjusts the gamma correction for the TV. If you don't know what this is, you should probably leave this alone. Recommended value: 0

RGB Only Mode: Uh... I don't know why they even put this in. Leave this Off.

Color Space: This changes the color gamut of your picture. For SDR content, setting this to "Native" will make your colors more saturated, although this might look off. For HDR content, you can use either "Native" or "Auto".

Q: How do I turn off the Samsung Logo light at the bottom of my screen?
A: Systems --> Expert Settings --> Light Effect --> Off

Q: My TV seems to change brightness automatically even when I don't change anything. What's going on?
A: Your Eco Solution settings are probably on. You can turn them off by going to System --> Eco Solution --> set Eco Sensor & Motion Lighting to Off.

Q: My TV is always dark, even when I turn Backlight to max. Is something broken?
A: You likely have Energy Saving Mode on. Turn it off by going to System --> Eco Solution --> set Energy Saving Mode to Off.

Connections
Everyone's components and personal preferences are different, but here are some things you may want to consider if you need help deciding how to connect your various components to the TV vs. a receiver (AVR):
  • The KS8000 is able to do audio passthrough via optical or HDMI+ARC. However, audio passthrough on the KS8000 only supports up to Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS. If you require higher quality sound (e.g. Master Audio) or more channels (e.g. 7.1 or Dolby Atmos), the audio should connect straight to your receiver.
  • If you want to do 4k video passthrough to your KS8000, ensure that your receiver supports 4k resolution. If not, then you need to connect your 4k content directly to the TV.
  • The TV is able to save video profiles per source/app. If you want to take advantage of this capability, you need to connect those components to the TV's One Connect Box (OCB).
  • If presented on a choice between outputting RGB or YCrCb to the TV, it is recommended that you use YCrCb.

Q: I'm trying to connect a component that can output 4k, but it's saying I can't get HDR, 4:4:4 chroma (see below for what this is), or 60Hz. How do I get this working?
A:You need to turn on HDMI UHD Color for your specific HDMI input.

Q: My TV occasionally shows a black screen for a second. What's wrong?
A: Chances are you are using a bad HDMI cable, particularly if you are trying to view 4k @ 60Hz with 4:4:4 chroma and/or your cable is longer than 15 ft. Look for "Premium HDMI Certified" cables. See this thread for more details/help: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...-support-4k-60hz-4-4-4-chroma-deep-color.html

4k and UHD
Q: How do I watch 4k/UHD content?
A: Unfortunately there are no networks in the US that are broadcasting any channels in 4k, so you will need to resort to use other means. If you are streaming, be sure you have a fast enough internet connection! You need a minimum of 30-50 Mbps. If you have adequate connection speed, here are some options:
  • Netflix app: Be sure that you must be on the highest subscription tier (4 devices, 4k enabled). The Netflix app should have a dedicated category for 4k content.
  • Amazon app: You need to watch the UHD versions of the shows (not the regular HD versions). You can either find these shows by scrolling down (possibly a lot, maybe ~15 categories down) to the 4k/UHD sections, or you can search with the text "4k".
  • Youtube app: Search for keyword "4k" or "UHD".
  • Other sources also provide 4k rentals (Amazon, M-Go, DirecTV, UltraFlix, etc.).
Some non-streaming options:
  • UHD Blu-ray player: There are several devices that can play UHD blu-rays. Examples include the Samsung UBD-K8500, Panasonic DMP-UB900, and XBox One S.
  • Download UHD content, copy to a USB drive, and plug the USB drive into the One Connect box.
This list is just to get you started. We won't be providing an exhaustive list of every app or method to watch 4k content.

Q: How can I verify that I'm watching content in 4k?
A: This varies by source. Note that 4k content may be downgraded to lower resolution due to your connection speed!
  • Netflix: There is no current way to check the resolution in Netflix. Note that the "info" button method no longer works.
  • Amazon: Press the middle button (inside the circle) on your remote; on the lower left side, "Ultra HD" should be highlighted in bold.
  • Youtube: In the top level page, click the left arrow to bring up the menu --> Settings --> Show Video Info. This will now turn on a box with a lot of information, including the video resolution. You can now display/hide this info box by selecting "More Options" to the left of the progress bar and choose the bug icon ("stats for nerds").
  • Videos from a USB drive: Press the center or play button, which should bring down the progress bar at the top. It should state the resolution of the video.

HDR
Q: Where can I find HDR content?
A: Good list: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...ailable-4k-hdr-titles-will-updated-often.html
Outside of Netflix and Amazon, you can also download HDR content and play it from a USB drive.

Q: How do I watch HDR content?
A: You must make sure you are watching HDR content. See above for a list of HDR content.
  • For Netflix and Amazon, you need to be watching the 4k/UHD versions. See above for how to watch 4k/UHD content.
  • You can also watch videos from a HDR-compatible blu-ray player (over HDMI) or from an external USB drive. You should get a message stating "A HDR video is playing" if watching HDR content through USB or HDMI. If you are watching HDR over HDMI, you MUST turn HDMI UHD Color to "On" for your HDMI source.
  • It is recommended that you use HDR mode to watch movies.

Q: What is HDR mode, and how do I use it?
A: HDR mode is a separate mode specifically for HDR content. You cannot explicitly select the mode, but the TV switches to it automatically.
  • As of firmware version 1114: To enable HDR mode, you must be in Movie mode. If you are in Movie mode, the TV automatically switches to HDR mode when you start watching HDR content.
  • As with other modes, HDR mode has a separate set of settings. If you are in HDR mode and change a setting, the TV will remember it and use it the next time you watch an HDR video.
  • The default Backlight setting for HDR mode is 20 (max).
  • You will have NO explicit notification that you are watching HDR content (or HDR mode is enabled) if watching from Netflix or Amazon.
  • Assuming you did not change the HDR mode Backlight setting from its default, the best way to tell if HDR mode is enabled is that your Backlight setting will change from your regular Movie mode value to 20.
  • Alternatively, you can see how the picture changes with Dynamic Contrast settings. With SDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will often darken the image, while with HDR content, a higher Dynamic Contrast setting will brighten the image.

Q: What is HDR+ mode?
A: HDR+ mode is a special viewing mode released in the 1111/1112/1114 firmware updates. You can enable it by going to Picture --> Special Viewing Mode --> HDR+. When watching non-HDR content (SDR), it scales the color space to track Rec. 2020 spec to simulate higher dynamic range. When Color Space is set to Auto, it also applies a Samsung color enhancing algorithm. This algorithm also works when watching HDR content. The higher quality the source material, the better HDR+ should work.

Q: What are the recommended settings when in HDR/HDR+ modes?
A: To fully take advantage of HDR/HDR+ modes, Backlight should be at 20 (max) so that highlights are bright. When watching HDR content with HDR+ mode, Color Space should be set to Auto. It is also recommend that Dynamic Contrast be set to Low or Medium.

Q: What do all of these color terms even mean?
A: @King Richard has written a good post describing various color terms here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-h...conceptions-still-prevail-3.html#post45036746

Q: I want to hook this up with an Xbox One S/Playstation 4 Pro. Will HDR work in Game mode?
A: Yes, HDTVTest confirmed (source) that HDR works in Game mode with the firmware update 1131.

Connecting a PC
Q: I've been reading about PC mode, but I can't find it. What is it and how do I enable it?
A: PC mode activates 4:4:4 chroma subsampling when you connect a computer to the TV. You can turn it on be manually setting the input type to PC (select the "input icon" on the SmartHub --> select the "up symbol" of your input --> Edit --> select "PC" --> OK). If you don't set PC mode, you may be running on 4:2:2 chroma, which will blur certain colors.

Q: Chroma what?
A: For a good explanation of what chroma subsampling is, look here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...official-4-4-4-chroma-subsampling-thread.html

Q: How do I know if I'm running 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 chroma subsampling?
A: This link is a good guide: http://www.geeks3d.com/20141203/how...-chroma-subsampling-used-with-your-4k-uhd-tv/

Q: Ok, I verified that I'm running PC mode. Why do things still look blurry?
A: Unlike other modes where Sharpness of 0 is the "unprocessed" setting, Sharpness of 50 is the unprocessed setting in PC mode.

Workarounds
Q: Help, my app froze! What do I do?
A: Press and hold the back button for 5 seconds. That should force kill most apps.

Q: Help, my SmartHub is not responsive or very slow! What do I do?
A:
I had the issue where Smarthub would not load at all sometimes. On a lark I went into expert settings in the system area and set smarthub to load when the set turns on. Worked flawlessly. After a few start ups I set the option back so that smarthub does not load on startup but now I get smarthub to load instantly on demand. Give that a shot.
Q: I selected a 4k video on Youtube, but why is it only playing HD?
A: First, some videos are falsely advertised as 4k. You can't do anything about those videos. For legitimate 4k videos, the Youtube app sometimes shows the HD version if there is an advertisement before it plays. To watch the 4k version, simply restart the video (exit out of the video and re-select it).

Q: I see light bleed on my TV. Is there anything I can do to fix it?
A: All edge-lit TVs will have a bit of light bleed. For the KS8000, you should likely only see light bleed when viewing in a dark room. Turning down your Backlight setting can reduce light bleed. Alternatively, you can add some bias lighting. There are many posts on bias lighting in this thread; for more info, please do a thread search.

Other
Q: What is the most recent firmware version?
A: As of the update date above, it is 1154. The latest update enabled HDR capability in YouTube. Note that different regions may have different firmware versions.

Q: Wait, that's it?? You didn't answer my question!! OMG my life is over, what do I do?
A: Relax, it's just a TV! After taking a few breaths, check the Questions and Answers section of the Rtings.com review here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000. They answer a lot of questions too! If you still can't find your answer, feel free to post it in this forum.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,167
@ frisbfreek I updated the first page.(Please double check) If we could maybe give frisbfreek the info and have him update his post then i can copy and paste it to the first page. (That way I don't have to try to look in several different places to add stuff.
Also big thanks to frisbfreek for for doing this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
@ frisbfreek I updated the first page.(Please double check) If we could maybe give frisbfreek the info and have him update his post then i can copy and paste it to the first page. (That way I don't have to try to look in several different places to add stuff.

Also big thanks to frisbfreek for for doing this.

Yup, looks good. Thanks @bluewhale1!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Making headway on my final setup.

First pic is the mess of cables I had to deal with since I cant stuff them in a cabinet as this sanus stand is out in the open.
Returned the first plastic cable management box I got as it was $24.95 and too small and worth about $3.

Today my 2nd idea arrived which was a black plastic $18 portable file box.

https://www.amazon.com/Storex-Porta...468449591&sr=8-6&keywords=black+portable+file

Cut out a hole on the right side to pass the power strip cable out of and a 2nd hole in the back to accept the cables coming out of the bottom hole of sanus stand's upright.

Wire tied the extra cable lengths inside the box and now everything is organized and easy to get to inside the box.

The box sitting there now is a lot neater than the mess of cables as in the first pic.
Just a few more stray cables to run inside the upright and I'm done.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,093 Posts
I downloaded a LG HDR Clip "Chess" and put it on an USB hard drive. My KS8000 was not in Movie mode and it played in HDR (with a pop up message saying it now plays in HDR). At least from the USB port, your TV does not need to be in Movie picture mode. I will do some test from the HDMI port (via the UHD player).

I agree, on my ks9800 you get hdr in all modes. The settings don't snap in standard but it's probably a glitch, its definitely still HDR. I've found though that movie mode is a little dark no matter what settings I use. Standard/dynamic/hdr+ are all brighter than movie mode.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Q: What is HDR+ mode?
A: HDR+ mode is a special viewing mode released in the 1112/1114 firmware updates. You can enable it by going to Picture --> Special Viewing Mode --> HDR+. When watching non-HDR content (SDR), it scales the color depth to track Rec. 2020 spec (i.e. HDR color). When Color Space is set to Auto, it also applies a Samsung color enhancing algorithm. This algorithm also works when watching HDR content.

Q: What is the most recent firmware version?
A: As of July 13, 2016, it is version 1114.
The most up to date firmware in the UK is 1111. This introduced HDR+. We got this around 23rd June. Nothing since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys - I just purchased a 65" Samsung KS8000. Great TV. I am looking to hook up my new Vizio Soundbar (model # SB4551-D5) via an optical cable to Samsung's "connect all" attachment.

My question is - will the use of an optical cable be less desirable then an HDMI Arc setup in terms of sound quality? I do not own a blu-ray player and the only media device hooked to my soundbar would be the TV. Can someone check the specs on my soundbar and ensure the TV can appropriately channel sound through an optical cable? Much help would be appreciated. I included the vizio link below. The reason I dont want to use an HDMI Arc connection is because I am having the sound drop out and connectivity issues.

Did you get this all working good? What is your remote situation for controlling volume? I'm considering the same setup!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I could not be happier with my experience with Amazon. It is important to make sure you are buying from Amazon itself and not a 3rd party vendor.
Sounds pretty awesome - did you purchase any kind of protection plan? im just worried about (potentially) getting a bad screen ie light bleed or something and have to go through a return process. Glad everything went well for you. The KS8000 is available for 24 month 0% financing so that's why I'm leaning toward amazon for my purchase.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can someone explain the difference between the color space settings of auto and native? I found native to look much better for the most part, with HDR content being the exception. Auto looks better for real HDR content.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Making head way on my final setup.

First pic is the mess of cables I had to deal with since I cant stuff them in a cabinet as this sanus stand is out in the open.
Returned the first plastic cable management box I got as it was $24.95 and too small and worth about $3.

Today my 2nd idea arrived which was a black plastic $18 portable file box.

https://www.amazon.com/Storex-Porta...468449591&sr=8-6&keywords=black+portable+file

Cut out a hole on the right side to pass the power strip cable out of and a 2nd hole in the back to accept the cables coming out of the bottom hole of sanus stand's upright.

Wire tied the extra cable lengths inside the box and now everything is organized and easy to get to inside the box.

The box sitting there now is a lot neater than the mess of cables as in the first pic.
Just a few more stray cables to run inside the upright and I'm done.

I am looking for a stand that will hold a 65 inch KS8000. What stand is that? It looks great. I thought those type of stands had to be held to a wall for support - it will hold a 65 inch TV on its own?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am looking for a stand that will hold a 65 inch KS8000. What stand is that? It looks great. I thought those type of stands had to be held to a wall for support - it will hold a 65 inch TV on its own?
They can still be found on the net. model: Sanus PFFP2B
I bought mine off craigs list for around $250 like new. I drove down a few exits on the thruway to meet the guy and picked it up. They used to list for $1200.

Originally it held my 50 inch panny plasma (a few tv's ago). A 50 inch flat screen was the largest available for a decent price (probably 8 yrs ago) at the time hence the stands specs saying for 30-50 inch screens. (and that plasma was a heavy monster) it supports up to 150 lbs and the 65 inch 8500 i have on it now only weighs around 50 lbs.

I had it stored under my bed past 3 years and forgot it was still there. Put it together to sell in a garage sale and it looked so sharp that I took it upstairs and mounted the 8500 on it. Was able to take the 8500 off the credenza I first put it on and taking that credenza out of the living room really opened the room up aesthetically.

Here are the specs: http://salestores.com/sanuspffp2bt.html#.V4ba9lezX8s

Here is one for $800, but they can be found for $200 like on CL or ebay
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?350385_g10e

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
They can still be found on the net. model: Sanus PFFP2B
I bought mine off craigs list for around $250 like new. I drove down a few exits on the thruway to meet the guy and picked it up. They used to list for $1200.

Originally it held my 50 inch panny plasma (a few tv's ago). A 50 inch flat screen was a big TV at the time hence the specs saying for 30-50 inch screens. (and that plasma was a heavy monster) it supports up to 150 lbs and the 65 inch 8500 i have on it now only weighs around 50 lbs.

I had it stored under my bed past 3 years and forgot it was still there. Put it together to sell in a garage sale and it looked so sharp that I took it upstairs and mounted the 8500 on it. Was able to take the 8500 off the credenza I first put it on and taking that credenza out of the living room really opened the room up aesthetically.

Here are the specs: http://salestores.com/sanuspffp2bt.html#.V4ba9lezX8s

Here is one for $800, but they can be found for $200 like on CL or ebay
http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?350385_g10e
Thanks, I have seen some like that, so perhaps there are some other brands still available at normal prices. I assumed the back had to be secured to a wall so I never looked into them. So the base plate is heavy enough to counter the TV mass?

I found this one for $200 http://www.whalenfurniture.com/category/entertainment/group/tv-stands/54-3-in-1-tv-stand-bbxl54nv

The manual states you attached safety cables to wall to prevent tipping forward. Does yours need that - does it seem tippy without a secure tether?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I wouldn't call that throttling. That's a limitation of the TV. Wireless is a faster option if you are connected to an AC router, but it's still limited to the power of the TV which significantly less than a PC.

So far, what I can conclude is that if your KS8500 is Ethernet hard-wired (like mine), the TV will not throttling the connection. Mine is getting the max for my Verizon FIOS plan (75/75mbps). See the attached results for bandwidthplace.com and the Netflix network check.

Wired connection can actually be faster than wireless since 1) it does not have the encryption overhead that a wireless connection does. For a wired network, it's straight data from the router to the TV. When a wireless network is involved, the router has to encrypt the packets first, sends to the TV, which then decrypt the packets before it is usable. 2) Additionally, all wireless devices shares the same Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you have 4 wireless devices connected to your (say 300mbps) Wireless router, it is split between all 4, so on average, you might end up with a 75mbps throughput per device. This is oversimplifying things since you also have to consider whether the other devices are idle or active....etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wow, it is hard to believe , that anyone that listens to the "noise" made by the sets speakers , is really interested in sound quality. Seriously, the sound quality is similar to a '60 s transistor radio.

Cheers
Haha... thats what I keep saying to myself when I see these posts about how bad the speakers may or may not be!

Who spends $2000-2500 for a new tv without plans for a soundbar or home theater setup with an amp and 5 speakers with a sub woofer starting around $350-400 for a decent sounding starter system?

Here is one I originally bought for my daughters house at best buy.
Sounded great:
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-4...23&sr=8-1&keywords=yamaha+home+theater+system

Sound bars like the vizio's are really cheap and start around $169!
and come with a wireless sub too:

https://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3821...id=1468457892&sr=1-1&keywords=vizio+sound+bar

To spend that kind of money on a samsung and listen to its built in speakers you are already in way over your head!

·
Registered
900 Posts
KS800D settings. HU8550 audio & video still better than the KS800D

I have both KS8000 and LG UH8500. If you value the TV speaker sound quality, I would suggest LG UH8500. It has Harman Kardon designed audio and the TV actually sounds good without external speakers. Picture quality is quite good too, but the color is not as pop as KS8000. KS8000 sound is poor just like most of the TV out there, but that picture is hard to beat. The 4K looks great, the HDR looks stunning. Your old HU8550 may be good, but you really cannot compare 2014 non-HDR set to 2016 HDR set.

Cannot compare ? For my OTA viewing, I can compare and have.

Spent three hours today on this KS800D and my two HU8550. Wrote down all the settings on the three sets. The KS800D now has 75% of the quality of the HU8550 55" and 65% of the quality of the 60: HU8550.

KS800D ISSUES
1. Sound not as good as the HU8550
2. Whites are not white
3. Motion vibration or stuttering, which is not present in the HU8550. Movement occurs in steps, and is not smooth like the HU8550
4. Artifacts in white letters (pix taken)
5. Blacks are not as black as the HU8550
6. Colors not as vibrant as HU8550, and rising the Color to 100 does not completely cure this. Flesh tones slightly orange.

QUESTIONS
1. How to make the blacks blacker?
2. How to make the whites whiter ?
3. How to reduce or eliminate white lettering artifacts?
4. How to reduce or eliminate video stuttering?

CURRENT SETTINGS KS800D

Movie
Bright 18-23
Contrast 100
Sharp 70
Col 58
Tint 48/52
DCV off
AMP off
SLED high
Film mode off
DC High