AVS Forum banner

31801 - 31820 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
They don't come and take your TV away tho. You get to keep your TV. So when a new model is released, you instantly get 33% of the old TV off the new TV. And keep your old one. Which you might be able to sell for 50% of the cost. On a $2000 TV you instantly get $660 off. If you sell the old one for half, that's $1000. If you are buying another $2000 TV, you are effectively paying $340 out of pocket for the newest TV, two years later. Am I understanding this wrong? Or doing the math wrong?
When I read it, it seemed clear to me they were taking the old tv back, much like their phone upgrade program. The more I read it though, the less clear I am on that. If you're correct and you do get to keep the old TV when you upgrade, then I agree, this isn't a bad deal for the consumer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
P.S I am still waiting for Samsung engineers and Vudu to come up with a firmware fix for the Pixelated VUDU UHD streaming. Been down since Christmas. Bah Humbug.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, you are correct. Im not sure what everyone else is complaining about. Its a pretty sweet deal.
Paying MSRP only to get 33% of it back as a credit 2-years later on another purchase at MSRP.

When you consider:

1. Samsung TVs, especially in 2017, have outrageous MSRPs for what they are offering.
2. Major retailers usually always have any one particular TV lower than MSRP, even during non-sale periods.
3. Sale periods offer even more savings over and above the "street" price that you will always find the TV listed at.
4. Certain retailers (Best Buy in the US, for instance) do allow you to use coupons for additional savings on top (I always get a 10% off one item coupon during my birthday month, for example, with hardly any restrictions for use).
5. Most retailers, if not all, offer a certain % back with a free rewards program.
6. If you really wanted to finance, almost every retailer has their own credit card, with 0% interest for a set term.

It's a rather poor deal considering you can likely do better on the purchase off of the top, and you aren't locked in to purchasing another Samsung TV (also at MSRP) to see the savings in 24-months.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Paying MSRP only to get 33% of it back as a credit 2-years later on another purchase at MSRP.

When you consider:

1. Samsung TVs, especially in 2017, have outrageous MSRPs for what they are offering.
2. Major retailers usually always have any one particular TV lower than MSRP, even during non-sale periods.
3. Sale periods offer even more savings over and above the "street" price that you will always find the TV listed at.
4. Certain retailers (Best Buy in the US, for instance) do allow you to use coupons for additional savings on top (I always get a 10% off one item coupon during my birthday month, for example, with hardly any restrictions for use).
5. Most retailers, if not all, offer a certain % back with a free rewards program.
6. If you really wanted to finance, almost every retailer has their own credit card, with 0% interest for a set term.

It's a rather poor deal considering you can likely do better on the purchase off of the top, and you aren't locked in to purchasing another Samsung TV (also at MSRP) to see the savings in 24-months.
^^^
Also when you consider you have to PAY for the privilege to upgrade any potential savings would be moot, even if there were any savings. Right now the MSRP for a 65" Q9 is $6000 with a sale price of $3500, even if you got a full 33% (they aren't guaranteeing the amount, only UP TO 33%) then you would be looking at paying $4020. Not much of a deal at all, is it?

·
Registered
711 Posts
When I read it, it seemed clear to me they were taking the old tv back, much like their phone upgrade program. The more I read it though, the less clear I am on that. If you're correct and you do get to keep the old TV when you upgrade, then I agree, this isn't a bad deal for the consumer.
http://www.samsung.com/us/tv-upgrade/

Right at the top of the site, under How It Works, is one of the four bullet points: "Enjoy. You can enjoy the latest Samsung TV and keep your current one." It might not be an amazing deal, but I don't think it's one that leaves you behind either. And certainly not worthy of outrage. If you plan on selling your old TV you will likely come out a bit ahead. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

^^^
Also when you consider you have to PAY for the privilege to upgrade any potential savings would be moot, even if there were any savings. Right now the MSRP for a 65" Q9 is $6000 with a sale price of $3500, even if you got a full 33% (they aren't guaranteeing the amount, only UP TO 33%) then you would be looking at paying $4020. Not much of a deal at all, is it?
If one is willing to wait for a sale price (not sure how long the Q9 has been out?) then for sure better deals are to be had. If you are one of those people that want the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out (I'm not one of those!) will you get those sale prices right off the bat? I suspect not. It all depends on the situation I suppose. I don't think this offer is good for everyone, but in certain scenarios I don't see it being a bad thing. I won't be signing up for this, but it will probably make sense for some people. There's nothing wrong with having choice.

·
Registered
771 Posts
http://www.samsung.com/us/tv-upgrade/

Right at the top of the site, under How It Works, is one of the four bullet points: "Enjoy. You can enjoy the latest Samsung TV and keep your current one." It might not be an amazing deal, but I don't think it's one that leaves you behind either. And certainly not worthy of outrage. If you plan on selling your old TV you will likely come out a bit ahead. I don't see how this is a bad thing.

If one is willing to wait for a sale price (not sure how long the Q9 has been out?) then for sure better deals are to be had. If you are one of those people that want the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out (I'm not one of those!) will you get those sale prices right off the bat? I suspect not. It all depends on the situation I suppose. I don't think this offer is good for everyone, but in certain scenarios I don't see it being a bad thing. I won't be signing up for this, but it will probably make sense for some people. There's nothing wrong with having choice.
The point is that with the Samsung program you don't get sale price, you pay the full MSRP. So I could go to Best Buy right now and pay $3500 for a Q9 but if you went through the Samsung program you'd pay $6000, then in two years your next $6000 TV would get discounted to $4020 where I would again pay $3500 (assuming these prices stayed the same for the next two years). So you can see where I pay $7,000 for two TVs you pay $10,020 for the same two TVs.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The point is that with the Samsung program you don't get sale price, you pay the full MSRP. So I could go to Best Buy right now and pay $3500 for a Q9 but if you went through the Samsung program you'd pay $6000, then in two years your next $6000 TV would get discounted to $4020 where I would again pay $3500 (assuming these prices stayed the same for the next two years). So you can see where I pay $7,000 for two TVs you pay $10,020 for the same two TVs.
Where does it say you pay full MSRP? I got a great deal on this tv on Samsung.com a little over a year ago. Price was slashed way less than MSRP. And if can do EPP and qualify, it would be even better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
584 Posts
Attempted to return call to Samsung, Office of The President, US operations and entered the extension left on my VM. After ringing for a while got message, "No mailbox is available for the person you have tried to reach." Tried it 3 times with same result.

Tried again without entering the extension several times. Robot says searching for a manager and fails and then gives option to leave a VM. I left a VM.

The main phone number is 888-480-5675 and maybe if we all called it someone might notice.

If I do get through, I am going to talk to them about the following broken promises for 2015 and 2016 TVs.

HDR10Plus
HLG-Directv
HDR game mode fix
Evolution Kits
Smart Things home automation

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
^^^
Not to mention that it keeps you perpetually in debt. That is what is most insidious and evil about it. Whilst there might be some canny people who save, there will be many more vulnerable people ensnared by it and find themselves much worse off.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Here's some more good news to the upgrade program that I found buried in the terms and conditions:

"Paying more than sixty-six (66)% of your applicable Financed Amount before you upgrade will reduce both the balance of the Financed Amount that remains outstanding on your Financing Account and the amount of Upgrade Credit you will receive. Your Upgrade Credit cannot exceed the unpaid balance of the Financed Amount for the Initial Device or 33% of the Financed Amount, whichever is less. Therefore, if you pay-off your balance or pay more than 66% of the Financed Amount before you upgrade, the amount of your Upgrade Credit may be zero or less than 33% of the cost of the Initial Device."

"Samsung reserves the right to substitute, change, cancel or add to any part of these Upgrade Terms at any time, including terminating the Upgrade Program or modifying these Upgrade Terms. In the event the Upgrade Program is terminated, you will still be responsible for any outstanding balances due under the terms of your Samsung Financing Program Account Agreement."

So if you are good at paying your credit cards off early then that actually hurts you in this, it's not a credit towards a future TV it's a credit off what you owe. It can also be canceled anytime they wish, and then no credit to you.

Reactions: dejanh

·
Registered
31 Posts
Samsung Support today said 2016 SUHD tv's will not receive the HDR10Plus update. He explained that only "2017 models, 2016 UHD and QLED will receive the HDR10Plus update". Some of you may have already known but this is news to me. Does anyone here have any experience with an LG OLED55B7? How does it compare/differ from the Samsung ks8000/800D? Thanks.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Where does it say you pay full MSRP? I got a great deal on this tv on Samsung.com a little over a year ago. Price was slashed way less than MSRP. And if can do EPP and qualify, it would be even better.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I was going by what @MMcCraryNJ posted, even if you don't pay full MSRP this program seems shady at best.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Samsung Support today said 2016 SUHD tv's will not receive the HDR10Plus update. He explained that only "2017 models, 2016 UHD and QLED will receive the HDR10Plus update". Some of you may have already known but this is news to me. Does anyone here have any experience with an LG OLED55B7? How does it compare/differ from the Samsung ks8000/800D? Thanks.
Samsung support often don't know what they're talking about. The biggest issue I take with this statement is, why would they update the 2016 ku models but not the 2016 ks higher end models? Not to say I believe we are getting the update, at this point I'll believe it when I see it on my TV.

edit: rereading this I see what the Samsung support guy said. "2017 models, 2016 UHD and QLED will receive the HDR10Plus update"

So all the 2017 models get it, cool. Of the 2016 models; the UHD and QLED will get it but not the SUHD.

QLED is the 2017 rename of the 2016 SUHD, so he basically incorrectly called the 2016 quantum dots "Qleds", and they will get the update. Then he said the 2016 SUHD models won't get the update thereby contradicting himself. I rest my case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Samsung support often don't know what they're talking about. The biggest issue I take with this statement is, why would they update the 2016 ku models but not the 2016 ks higher end models? Not to say I believe we are getting the update, at this point I'll believe it when I see it on my TV.

edit: rereading this I see what the Samsung support guy said. "2017 models, 2016 UHD and QLED will receive the HDR10Plus update"

So all the 2017 models get it, cool. Of the 2016 models; the UHD and QLED will get it but not the SUHD.

QLED is the 2017 rename of the 2016 SUHD, so he basically incorrectly called the 2016 quantum dots "Qleds", and they will get the update. Then he said the 2016 SUHD models won't get the update thereby contradicting himself. I rest my case.
Again, I am only repeating what i was just old over the phone my a Samsung Customer service rep, although i see your point, my interpretation is that he was referring to "QLED" as the Q series sets. I have a KS800D SUHD. I agree, it makes perfect sense to all of us that the higher end sets would receive this update over the lower end models. This is why i asked him again if my specific set would eventually receive this update. He simply replied "no, I'm sorry. As stated in the press release last year, only those mentioned will receive it and that includes some the 2016 UHD models".
Don't shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Again, I am only repeating what i was just old over the phone my a Samsung Customer service rep, although i see your point, my interpretation is that he was referring to "QLED" as the Q series sets. I have a KS800D SUHD. I agree, it makes perfect sense to all of us that the higher end sets would receive this update over the lower end models. This is why i asked him again if my specific set would eventually receive this update. He simply replied "no, I'm sorry. As stated in the press release last year, only those mentioned will receive it and that includes some the 2016 UHD models".
Don't shoot the messenger.
Yes. Not shooting you at all and agree that he was tying himself in knots. Thankyou for the information. It is something in the press release which we all missed at the time, but I did spot the inconsistency last week when quoting it on their EU forum for the BBC iplayer HLG scandal, something else they are trying to wriggle out of.

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-and-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-experience-with-updated-open-standard-hdr10.html
"All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update."

The Samsung 2016 range was:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/article.php?id=1460114926&subaction=showfull

SUHD USA: KS9800 KS9500 KS9000 KS8500 KS8000
SUHD Europe: KS9800 KS9500 KS9000 KS8000 KS7500 KS7000
UHD+HD Europe: KU66 KU65 KU64 KU61 KU60 K6 K55 K51

(This thread's models I have shown in bold)

Does this mean that the UHD/HD models weren't even sold in America?

However, "Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update." can be read in two ways.
  1. Samsung’s 2016 Ultra High Definition TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update."
  2. Samsung’s 2016 "UHD"-branded range of TVs, and not the "SUHD" range, will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update."
I choose to read it the first way.

Samsung choosing to name a "range" of TV by the same name as the "class" of TV may prove to be their downfall if it goes to court. They are trying to wriggle out of a promise by redefining the English Language. If they wanted to mean "range", they should have said "range". But they did not do this!

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
The upgrade program is trash. Musician had a very good break down in the sek3500 thread of the fine print. 1 very important aspect is that you have a certain selection to choose from when using it. You do not get to pick any tv you want. It must be in their list. It's trash.

·
Registered
584 Posts
A SUHD tv is just a subset of the larger set of UHD tvs.

Arguing otherwise is fatuous.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Apparently, we see now how Samsung will try to weasel out of their promise to us. This is probably in the form of a note cooked up by some very stable genius and hastily taped on all the poor schlobs cubicles.

I hope it goes to court.

31801 - 31820 of 37175 Posts