AVS Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 37300 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've seen this tv on sale on different sites online. All brand new and free shipping. I'm talking $400-$500 cheaper. I wonder if Best Buy will price match that much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YMMV, mine was willing to price match one of the online stores that had the 9000 for $2495, but wanted tax instead of out the door. So I passed since if I had gone that route there was another local electronics store selling it at $2499.99. So worth trying if you are serious about it.

I have no idea how to do it on the Harmony remote, but on the regular remote, press "123", then select the info icon (the "i" with a circle). You should then see some text in the upper left corner. If the second line is "2160" then you are in UHD; if it says "1080" then you're just watching regular HD.
Was that on the list of things you sent to bluewhale1 frisbfreek? Might be useful to new users and thanks for taking the ball and helping out.

·
Registered
829 Posts
YMMV, mine was willing to price match one of the online stores that had the 9000 for $2495, but wanted tax instead of out the door. So I passed since if I had gone that route there was another local electronics store selling it at $2499.99. So worth trying if you are serious about it.

Was that on the list of things you sent to bluewhale1 frisbfreek? Might be useful to new users and thanks for taking the ball and helping out.

I just came from the 24hour Best Buy here in the city and sales rep said they only price match big corporate companies not online dealers. Don't know if he knows what he's talking about or things changed. I'll try my local one tomorrow.

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey guys - I just purchased a 65" Samsung KS8000. Great TV. I am looking to hook up my new Vizio Soundbar (model # SB4551-D5) via an optical cable to Samsung's "connect all" attachment.

My question is - will the use of an optical cable be less desirable then an HDMI Arc setup in terms of sound quality? I do not own a blu-ray player and the only media device hooked to my soundbar would be the TV. Can someone check the specs on my soundbar and ensure the TV can appropriately channel sound through an optical cable? Much help would be appreciated. I included the vizio link below. The reason I dont want to use an HDMI Arc connection is because I am having the sound drop out and connectivity issues.

Did you get this all working good? What is your remote situation for controlling volume? I'm considering the same setup!
With optical you cannot pass through audio codecs such as DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD. Also I had issues with ARC. It didn't always work and would randomly change source. In the end I switched off ARC and used an optical cable from TV to my AV amp. As Netflix only outputs DD 5.1 this works fine for me.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Thanks, I have seen some like that, so perhaps there are some other brands still available at normal prices. I assumed the back had to be secured to a wall so I never looked into them. So the base plate is heavy enough to counter the TV mass?

I found this one for $200 http://www.whalenfurniture.com/category/entertainment/group/tv-stands/54-3-in-1-tv-stand-bbxl54nv

The manual states you attached safety cables to wall to prevent tipping forward. Does yours need that - does it seem tippy without a secure tether?
No tethering since the upright and the base are of a heavy solid build quality and its of a very unique design. The stand you found is a nice find for $200 and free shipping. They may ship to store free for you to pick up. ** This way if the box is crushed you can reject it. Did you check for stock already available in your local store?

SAFETY FIRST should always be your first concern. That pic of it does not look like a 65 inch is mounted on it. So it could be tippier with a 65.
No big deal just install a couple of tether straps if its going against a wall. I rent so wall mounts are usually not an option for me. I dont like looking up anyway at a wall mount. I prefer eye level or close to it.

I dont recommend that type of stand to be used free standing like mine is. Ikea furniture is currently in a major lawsuit as some of their chest of drawers when you open more drawers then one tend to fall over and injure and have killed kids.

Even if you dont have kids . . . someone visiting with kids they could climb onto a shelf and without tether straps it could fall forward. Same goes for furniture and especially those high wire rack systems that are popular in kitchens, garages etc. like this one n my utility room:

** see my post # 2693 above for the way best buy allows their truckers and clerks to destroy shipping boxes containing electronics. They also put a huge hole in the bottom of a large home theater box I bought from them a week earlier. I don't find this treatment with amazon. Its like that video last year of a fedex or UPS guying throwing someones flat screen over their fence and into their yard. My experience is Best Buy treats your electronics in the same fashion! Amazon . . . shipping and delivery they treat packages like kid gloves.

Pic below of my utility room rack and its simple tether:

Attachments

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just came from the 24hour Best Buy here in the city and sales rep said they only price match big corporate companies not online dealers. Don't know if he knows what he's talking about or things changed. I'll try my local one tomorrow.

Don't even bother asking a best buy clerk a question. They will always give you an answer and its wrong most of the time. Been this way for many years as they dont want to pay for anyone qualified like most places now.

Best Buy price matches Amazon. But Amazon is getting sneaky. Their Prime sale this last Tues they threw out a loss leader for an entry level new model. 2016 Sammy 55 inch 4k smart tv for like $649. They went fast. But the kicker is its now "their own model number" that sammy makes especially for amazon, so best buy will never match unless its the exact same model. I doubt they will ever match a one day sale either.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/price-match-guarantee/pcmcat290300050002.c?id=pcmcat290300050002

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/best-amazon-prime-day-deals-2016-n607396

I think you can also set a text alert to notify you from amazon when a deal started on sales like their prime special day. Or when an items price drops.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had the issue where Smarthub would not load at all sometimes. On a lark I went into expert settings in the system area and set smarthub to load when the set turns on. Worked flawlessly. After a few start ups I set the option back so that smarthub does not load on startup but now I get smarthub to load instantly on demand. Give that a shot.
I'd been having the same problem ever since firmware 1112 messed things up. I've tried every "fix' suggested to this point on the forum, and nothing had worked. This time, your method seems to have done the trick! Thank you!

·
Registered
52 Posts
How did you make the web page black mine is white and wish it was reverted like yours?

Under systems settings (one of the bottom two icons), there's an option for HIGH CONTRAST. It's OFF by default, which gives you a white background in the Web Browser. Turn it ON and it will turn the background for the Web Browser app black or inverse. The brightness on this TV makes it hard to use the white background (for me anyways) to do web browsing for any extended period of time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had this set (65ks8000) for about a week now. I'm running the rtings settings and the PQ for streaming, bluray, and ps4 (on game mode) have all been outstanding. I don't seem to have any light bleeding or any other common issues (fa01 panel, 6xx serial number). However, I have been really disappointed with directtv PQ. I'm starting to think this has something to do with my setup as directtv looks great on the panny plasma this was replacing and the 60" sony led I have in another room. I'm running the 8000 on one of the c61 wireless boxes. All resolution formats are checked, and today I switched it to Native which seems to have helped quite a bit, but still not perfect. The issue is that the picture seems grainy, somewhat washed out, and blurry (especially faces). Also, as I was watching The Open this morning I received a notification from the tv along the top with the message "The current input resolution is low. Please check the resolution of the source device". It went away after 30 seconds or so. I've adjusted every setting I can find. The auto clean view cleans up some of the noise, but it results in a loss of detail, and doesn't really help the washed out look.

Do I need the newer c61k boxes to get better quality? Does this need to be hooked to the main hr44 (or do I need to upgrade to hr54)? Is there some setting on the current directtv box I'm missing?

FYI, I have read the first 70 pages of this thread, so I apologize if the answer lies somewhere between here and there. You all have provided a great deal of information that have helped me quite a bit so far.

·
Registered
535 Posts
So far, what I can conclude is that if your KS8500 is Ethernet hard-wired (like mine), the TV will not throttling the connection. Mine is getting the max for my Verizon FIOS plan (75/75mbps). See the attached results for bandwidthplace.com and the Netflix network check.

Wired connection can actually be faster than wireless since 1) it does not have the encryption overhead that a wireless connection does. For a wired network, it's straight data from the router to the TV. When a wireless network is involved, the router has to encrypt the packets first, sends to the TV, which then decrypt the packets before it is usable. 2) Additionally, all wireless devices shares the same Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you have 4 wireless devices connected to your (say 300mbps) Wireless router, it is split between all 4, so on average, you might end up with a 75mbps throughput per device. This is oversimplifying things since you also have to consider whether the other devices are idle or active....etc.
The Dallas server for bandwidth place is garbage. I just disconnected the ethernet cable that is plugged into my TV and plugged it into the my MacBook Pro and it gave me 50% of my speed. I then switched to the trusty SpeedTest.net site and it gave me what I'm used to. I'm sure this is part of my problem right here.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd been having the same problem ever since firmware 1112 messed things up. I've tried every "fix' suggested to this point on the forum, and nothing had worked. This time, your method seems to have done the trick! Thank you!

Glad to help. Had to re-do it once, but other than that works great!

·
Registered
203 Posts
These settings were virtually all from rtings.com .HERE: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

My HU8550 sharpnesses are at 80-85 and look fine.... no artifacts.

The brightness is at 45. Made a typo in that post. Sorry.

Thank you for your suggestions. Will try them.

Hey, I think you're the loose leg guy, like me. I had to move the set to get to the back and decided to try the electrical tape idea to prevent the leg from falling out. I tried one small piece at the top of the leg...and the fit was so tight that I'd be forcing the leg on. Must be a fractional tolerance. I tried the same tape on the very bottom of the leg post and that worked great. Since it's so low down there will be no issue getting the tape out even if it some how comes off next time I need to remove the leg, which will probably be never.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I've had this set (65ks8000) for about a week now. I'm running the rtings settings and the PQ for streaming, bluray, and ps4 (on game mode) have all been outstanding. I don't seem to have any light bleeding or any other common issues (fa01 panel, 6xx serial number). However, I have been really disappointed with directtv PQ. I'm starting to think this has something to do with my setup as directtv looks great on the panny plasma this was replacing and the 60" sony led I have in another room. I'm running the 8000 on one of the c61 wireless boxes. All resolution formats are checked, and today I switched it to Native which seems to have helped quite a bit, but still not perfect. The issue is that the picture seems grainy, somewhat washed out, and blurry (especially faces). Also, as I was watching The Open this morning I received a notification from the tv along the top with the message "The current input resolution is low. Please check the resolution of the source device". It went away after 30 seconds or so. I've adjusted every setting I can find. The auto clean view cleans up some of the noise, but it results in a loss of detail, and doesn't really help the washed out look.

Do I need the newer c61k boxes to get better quality? Does this need to be hooked to the main hr44 (or do I need to upgrade to hr54)? Is there some setting on the current directtv box I'm missing?

FYI, I have read the first 70 pages of this thread, so I apologize if the answer lies somewhere between here and there. You all have provided a great deal of information that have helped me quite a bit so far.
I have DIRECTV and have a Genie HR44 and a couple older DVRs. I've found with my previous Vizios and with the Samsung that it's best to ONLY have 1080i checked as a resolution with Native On, as you have. Try that and see if it helps.

Also, try the Special Viewing Mode HDR+. It's preferred by many on this forum for most content except dark room movie (Movie mode settings from rtings.com) and gaming (Game mode). I've lowered the backlight setting a bit from 20 to 10 for my viewing preferences.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Im excited to see how well the KS8000 handles 4K with the game mode enabled on one of the new Xbox One S consoles that supports 4k that is releasing in a few months. The system is going to upscale all the games to 4K which make getting a 4K tv very tempting and im hoping the known stuttering people meantioned is just a pc setting and that the xbox will run well with it in 4k game mode. Ill wait it out this tv should be around for sell for another what 8-12 months?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hey, I think you're the loose leg guy, like me. I had to move the set to get to the back and decided to try the electrical tape idea to prevent the leg from falling out. I tried one small piece at the top of the leg...and the fit was so tight that I'd be forcing the leg on. Must be a fractional tolerance. I tried the same tape on the very bottom of the leg post and that worked great. Since it's so low down there will be no issue getting the tape out even if it some how comes off next time I need to remove the leg, which will probably be never.
My legs are tight, but one of the TVs is not! Which leg is loose? The right one as you face the panel ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Added.

ALL: I've been updating and re-organizing the content of that post. In particular, I started a "workarounds" section, where I'll post tried-and-tested fixes. Please PM me if you would like me to explicitly add something (and please provide the text).

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I had the issue where Smarthub would not load at all sometimes. On a lark I went into expert settings in the system area and set smarthub to load when the set turns on. Worked flawlessly. After a few start ups I set the option back so that smarthub does not load on startup but now I get smarthub to load instantly on demand. Give that a shot.
A few days ago I turned SmartHub auto load to on. I haven't had the loading issue since.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My legs are tight, but one of the TVs is not! Which leg is loose? The right one as you face the panel ?

Left as you face the panel. As to the TV frame, there is a small issue where the bottom of the back frame is not completely tight to the bezel section of the frame. I have that issue too, more left than right. Visually, there is a fractional gap (maybe 1-2mm) and physically there is a bit of play. Most would not notice the issue. A google search shows at least one or two other cases, including a UK model. I played around with the loose area and it has no impact at all on the screen.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Our good family friend is an authorized Sony salesman at our local Best buy. He said the exact same thing in terms of price matching. Best Buy will not honor online dealers such as Abes of Maine, etc- as they have been caught and known to practice 'bait and switch' tactics or selling the European version of a TV instead of the stateside. They will however match other authorized Samsung dealers such as Amazon, Walmart, etc and you'll quickly notice they are all either equally priced or within single dollars from one another. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have no idea how to do it on the Harmony remote, but on the regular remote, press "123", then select the info icon (the "i" with a circle). You should then see some text in the upper left corner. If the second line is "2160" then you are in UHD; if it says "1080" then you're just watching regular HD.
Hello,
I think it was mentioned earlier but how do I know if my KS8000 is playing Ultra HD content? I am watching Breaking Bad (again!) but this time on Ultra HD using Netflix. I use Harmony remote and sound is connected through my Denon X2300 AVR through optical cable. I read about HDR+ in comments posted earlier and turned that setting on.

But the question still remains. I keep reading about an option where I can see the quality of the video but I can never get to it...

Thanks for your help.
On the Harmony remote, Click the Devices button, select the TV, and then press the info button. On the Harmony Elite, I believe there is even a way to add the (Device/TV/Info) command to your screen while still in your Watch TV activity screen. I just got my Elite (upgrading from a One) and am still playing with it but that is how I was able to get info on mine.

3201 - 3220 of 37300 Posts