AVS Forum banner

37061 - 37080 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
HBO MAX is not exta cost for HBO subscribers. Also, it doesn't appear the the KS8000 is on the list of TVs with native apps supporting HBO Max.

I have the AT&T unlimited plus plan which includes free hbo and a bill credit for DirecTV (which I subscribe to). My plan now says that it includes HBO Max and I was able to log into the service.

The KS8000 has an HBO Max app and I was able to sign into it. On most platforms, HBO just updated their HBO Now app to Max. Anyways, the app was updated on my KS8000 but the icon never changed from HBO Now to HBO Max. I found the app through the App Store and noticed I already had it installed but the icon was wrong. Icon is fine on my other Samsung TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rolls-Royce

·
Registered
3 Posts
KS8000 has developed a noticable red tint

Hey there fellow KS'ers,

As stated in the title my TV has developed a major red tint in all sources. I don't remember when this began or of it was gradual or sudden, but It's definitely here to stay. All my settings are default and I even factory reset, but alas nothing works. I now have to constantly fiddle with the white balance to get some semblance of white back, but I am never satisfied with the color presentation seeing as I don't have any professional calibrating equipment.

Is my panel screwed? Does anyone have a similar issue and can this be fixed apart from white balance tweaks?

I added some pictures to illustrate the insane amount of red. My camera does exaggerate the tint but it is def noticable:(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey there fellow KS'ers,

As stated in the title my TV has developed a major red tint in all sources. I don't remember when this began or of it was gradual or sudden, but It's definitely here to stay. All my settings are default and I even factory reset, but alas nothing works. I now have to constantly fiddle with the white balance to get some semblance of white back, but I am never satisfied with the color presentation seeing as I don't have any professional calibrating equipment.

Is my panel screwed? Does anyone have a similar issue and can this be fixed apart from white balance tweaks?

I added some pictures to illustrate the insane amount of red. My camera does exaggerate the tint but it is def noticable/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
I added some pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hey there fellow KS'ers,

I added some pictures to illustrate the insane amount of red. My camera does exaggerate the tint but it is def noticable:(

That doesn’t look like a panel issue but more of an issue with either a chipset, cable or input (maybe your one connect cable or box is going bad). Have your tried all of the HDMI ports? Does the issue happen with internal apps? I would try to rule out whether the issue is specific to an HDMI port, cable, one connect box etc. Also, since the issue is with colors what happens when you change the color space from auto to native?

·
Registered
504 Posts
My KS8000 auto-updated last night to version 1242 which has been on the web for awhile. So far all seems good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My KS8000 auto-updated last night to version 1242 which has been on the web for awhile. So far all seems good.

1242 seems to have killed Disney+ for me. There was a strange error message at first, and now there is a message stating that Samsung is working with Disney to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine seems like black levels have raised (grayish) for me.

People were complaining about that in the Samsung forums, but I thought the issues were limited to the 9000/9500 series. I guess the 8000 is having the same problem with 1242 firmware. :frown:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Mine seems like black levels have raised (grayish) for me.

Haven’t noticed that. What picture mode are you using and what do you have local dimming set to? I’m using movie mode with local dimming set to high and dynamic contrast set to low for SDR (dynamic contrast high for HDR).

1242 seems to have killed Disney+ for me. There was a strange error message at first, and now there is a message stating that Samsung is working with Disney to resolve the issue.
I don’t use the app on my KS8000 often but I know the app was recently updated on my other Samsung TVs as well as my ATV4K. If they are working on an update hopefully it brings 4K HDR to the KS8000 version of the app.

EDIT: I receive the same message with Disney+ when I go to the app in the App Store about it being temporarily unavailable on 2016 sets and working with Disney to resolve this issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a KS8000 NA model and from the UK forums, 1242 seems to affect the backlight on KS9800 models as well as breaking Disney+.

1242 is now showing as an available update on my TV. Even though there are no reported issues on my model, I don't want to take the risk of having any issues so I've disconnected the Wifi/Ethernet from my TV. Samsung TVs will still update even if you have auto-update disabled, if Samsung deems the update required.

Noticed 1242 is available on the NA site. Downloading it now.

Download complete. No idea what is new but it did not brick the set. Yipee!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
That doesn’t look like a panel issue but more of an issue with either a chipset, cable or input (maybe your one connect cable or box is going bad). Have your tried all of the HDMI ports? Does the issue happen with internal apps? I would try to rule out whether the issue is specific to an HDMI port, cable, one connect box etc. Also, since the issue is with colors what happens when you change the color space from auto to native?

Thanks for the reply dude.
Yeah I have done a huge amount of testing and unfortunately it is present in all sources and apps. For instance some pics I sent were from the internal yt app and others were from hdmi input. They all show the red tint. Changing color space also doesn't help. Neither does unplugging all cables and leaving the tv for an extended amount of time, changing hdmi cables, factory resetting tv.

The weird thing i I don't remember the red appearing suddenly, I just noticed it someday. Which makes me indeed wonder what kind of problem this is. Can panels gradually change tint? Did some firmware or something **** up the software? No idea lol.

Anyway I notified the retailer of the issue and although I don't have any factory warranty anymore luckily I can appeal to the "legal warranty" law here in The Netherlands, which states that any product should look and work as intended for an amount of time depending on the kind of product and the price. Kinda neat. So I'm curious if they'll accept the tv without any hassle. Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 65KS8000 has also updated to 1242 and now all inputs have backlight breathing in HDR, before I had no breathing in Movie Mode.

I played a couple of old Samsung HDR demo files (via DLNA) and they all "breathe" now. Backlight is set to 20 and Dynamic LED to "high"

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a KS8000 NA model and from the UK forums, 1242 seems to affect the backlight on KS9800 models as well as breaking Disney+.

1242 is now showing as an available update on my TV. Even though there are no reported issues on my model, I don't want to take the risk of having any issues so I've disconnected the Wifi/Ethernet from my TV. Samsung TVs will still update even if you have auto-update disabled, if Samsung deems the update required.
Disconnecting from Internet won't work for people who use any of the streaming features of the TV.

I did get the prompt to install 1242 even with Auto Update off, but there was an option to not install the update. So it's not forced. I'm on 1241 currently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A testament to how great this TV has been that almost four years after release there is still a relatively active discussion on this forum!
Hello Blenky, I've got a KS8000 where the brightness appears to be pulsating between "Standard" and "Dynamic" mode.
(like every 3 or 4 seconds) Is this condition what some of you are describing as "backlight breathing?" It seems to happen
intermittently and when it starts, I cannot seem to stop this "hiccuping" between the brightness intensities.

I get it whether we are watching live TV (Comcast/Xfinity) or recorded programs from the DVR or streaming content from the
TV's internal APPs (Netflix and Prime) - puzzling and frustrating - any light which you (or any others) might be able to shed
on this would be greatly appreciated - I am absolutely NOT a "techie."

Thank You

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hello Blenky, I've got a KS8000 where the brightness appears to be pulsating between "Standard" and "Dynamic" mode.
(like every 3 or 4 seconds) Is this condition what some of you are describing as "backlight breathing?" It seems to happen
intermittently and when it starts, I cannot seem to stop this "hiccuping" between the brightness intensities.

I get it whether we are watching live TV (Comcast/Xfinity) or recorded programs from the DVR or streaming content from the
TV's internal APPs (Netflix and Prime) - puzzling and frustrating - any light which you (or any others) might be able to shed

Thank You
@dr.jim.b

read two posts above

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
A testament to how great this TV has been that almost four years after release there is still a relatively active discussion on this forum!

Thank You
The breathing effect I get is not as dramatic you describe. I refer to the effect you get when HDR scene is bright. After a few seconds you can see it darken a little bit. It's not that much on my set but once you see it you can never unsee it. TBH I've long stopped worrying about it as I'm used to it now!

·
Registered
62 Posts
FWIW I don't experience the backlight breathing in Standard mode, so if it's bothering you it might be worth switching to that. I find the actual picture differences from Movie mode to be minimal.

37061 - 37080 of 37175 Posts