AVS Forum banner

37381 - 37400 of 37452 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just an update on my repair issue. After over a week of PM's with Samsung and assurances that they would fix the issue, today I received a callback that Samsung cannot find one of their centers that are close enough to me to do the repair. Essentially they said go find someone else and pay for it yourself.

I am still looking into options. Sadly I might have to plead my case to my local Costco. I'm still within the 2 plus 2 period with them but Citi is trying to wiggle off the hook. Honestly, Costco is faultless in this situation.
Is Samsung offering to reimburse you for the repair?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you guys notice this? Samsung advertised life time warranty on this model? I bought this TV in 2016, I noticed burn ins ( I didnt know what was a burn in, so I mentioned "spots and lines") within 6 months and I was lazy and didn't report till the 13th month. Samsung sent a technician (3rd party of course) and he literally charged me $70 for analysis and gave me a quote for $1600

Fast forward 3 years, I see the "Life time warranty" on their website, I call customer support and it took them 1 hour to agree to fix my screen. I also requested for compensation as they lied to me about the issue not being covered under warranty the first time and since I had to live with a defective screen or 3 years. I was told that they cannot do anything and have to get it repaired. I also reached out to BBB, after which I got email from the " Presidents office". You guys check out the conversation for yourselves, attached the whole gmail conversation. In short this was the conclusion

"Samsung will not compensate for the 3 years customer spent with the defective/problematic TV, which Samsung didn't repair after a complaint 3 years back, even though it was supposed to be repaired under warranty"

But look at the way the "Voice of the CEO" spinned it around to convince their short coming. Never touching Samsung ever again

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you guys notice this? Samsung advertised life time warranty on this model? I bought this TV in 2016, I noticed burn ins ( I didnt know what was a burn in, so I mentioned "spots and lines") within 6 months and I was lazy and didn't report till the 13th month. Samsung sent a technician (3rd party of course) and he literally charged me $70 for analysis and gave me a quote for $1600

Fast forward 3 years, I see the "Life time warranty" on their website, I call customer support and it took them 1 hour to agree to fix my screen. I also requested for compensation as they lied to me about the issue not being covered under warranty the first time and since I had to live with a defective screen or 3 years. I was told that they cannot do anything and have to get it repaired. I also reached out to BBB, after which I got email from the " Presidents office". You guys check out the conversation for yourselves, attached the whole gmail conversation. In short this was the conclusion

"Samsung will not compensate for the 3 years customer spent with the defective/problematic TV, which Samsung didn't repair after a complaint 3 years back, even though it was supposed to be repaired under warranty"

But look at the way the "Voice of the CEO" spinned it around to convince their short coming. Never touching Samsung ever again

month.Samsung View attachment 3069789

View attachment 3069788
How do you want to be compensated?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Never seen burn in on a VA Panel, and this one looks more like a backlight distribution layer issue (humidity or heat deformation). Burn in is normally very distinct with HUD or channel logo outlines.. not "blotches"

If Samsung still honors under "burn in" good for you though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never seen burn in on a VA Panel, and this one looks more like a backlight distribution layer issue (humidity or heat deformation). Burn in is normally very distinct with HUD or channel logo outlines.. not "blotches"

If Samsung still honors under "burn in" good for you though
Can this be repaired?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Looks like they ordered a panel for replacement. Any idea on why this happens? I saw this after 6 months
As said further above could be heat,moisture,impact. I am not an expert on KS8000 series failures, but Samsung or the service techs could have better ideas (but probably won't tell you wink)

·
Registered
765 Posts
HBO Max app audio quality. Comments appreciated.
I realize not that many people are still active on this thread but I thought I would relate my little experiment.
I usually listen to my older Denon 1610 at about -15 for streaming movies, about -20 on Blu-Rays. Whenever I use the onboard HBO Max app I need to set it around zero to -5 and there is no 5.1 only DTS NEO 2.5. It sounds just awful.

I inserted a Roku 4K stick and it was better by quite a bit, I set it at -15(streaming WW1984) to get the volume I wanted. I just received a FireTV stick for Christmas and tried it with WW1984 and not only did -20 meet my volume needs it registered on my Denon as DTS which I'm pretty sure is actual 5.1 and not simulated like DTS NEO 2.5. Not only that but it played in HDR while the others did not.

I'm guessing we're out of updates on this TV so improving the HBO Max app is impossible, correct?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I realize not that many people are still active on this thread but I thought I would relate my little experiment.
I usually listen to my older Denon 1610 at about -15 for streaming movies, about -20 on Blu-Rays. Whenever I use the onboard HBO Max app I need to set it around zero to -5 and there is no 5.1 only DTS NEO 2.5. It sounds just awful.

I inserted a Roku 4K stick and it was better by quite a bit, I set it at -15(streaming WW1984) to get the volume I wanted. I just received a FireTV stick for Christmas and tried it with WW1984 and not only did -20 meet my volume needs it registered on my Denon as DTS which I'm pretty sure is actual 5.1 and not simulated like DTS NEO 2.5. Not only that but it played in HDR while the others did not.

I'm guessing we're out of updates on this TV so improving the HBO Max app is impossible, correct?
I’m a little amazed there is a HBO Max app at all, to be honest. So I think you are probably correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys! Newcomer here and just wanted to ask. I have a chance to buy 55'' KS8000 (KS7000 here on Europe) for around 300€ (365$). The TV has been used mainly for gaming and watching movies though it's been unused for some time now (bought november 2016). The question is, is the TV good consideration in 2020? I don't care about HDMI 2.1, I just want a TV that is capable showing that beautiful 4K HDR with wide colors. This particular unit has a good panel (pretty much no backlight bleed, decent blacks etc.) even though it is still edge lit... So should I pull the trigger and buy it or maybe consider Sony XH950H (999€) or Samsung Q80T (899€) both on sale rn? I mainly use TV for shows/movies and console/pc gaming mostly on my monitor.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I was on the same thoughts that the updates were done till I learned that the JS series (2015 model) just got a firmware update on Sept 28,2020. Not sure what the update did or fix but still surprising that a 2015 tv got a firmware update in 2020.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi guys! Newcomer here and just wanted to ask. I have a chance to buy 55'' KS8000 (KS7000 here on Europe) for around 300€ (365$). The TV has been used mainly for gaming and watching movies though it's been unused for some time now (bought november 2016). The question is, is the TV good consideration in 2020? I don't care about HDMI 2.1, I just want a TV that is capable showing that beautiful 4K HDR with wide colors. This particular unit has a good panel (pretty much no backlight bleed, decent blacks etc.) even though it is still edge lit... So should I pull the trigger and buy it or maybe consider Sony XH950H (999€) or Samsung Q80T (899€) both on sale rn? I mainly use TV for shows/movies and console/pc gaming mostly on my monitor.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm still quite happy with mine, never an issue. As long as viewing angle is not an issue in your layout I'd go for it. Rtings.com had it at an excellent rating of 8.2 overall and for movies and an 8.4 for HDR movies. Those ratings are, for all purposes, the same as those others you're looking at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm still quite happy with mine, never an issue. As long as viewing angle is not an issue in your layout I'd go for it. Rtings.com had it at an excellent rating of 8.2 overall and for movies and an 8.4 for HDR movies. Those ratings are, for all purposes, the same as those others you're looking at.
I appreciate your opinion. I did read about the firmware 1242 making the picture worse (brightness, blacks, colors) than 1241. Is this true? Unfortunately the seller has already updated the TV.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I appreciate your opinion. I did read about the firmware 1242 making the picture worse (brightness, blacks, colors) than 1241. Is this true? Unfortunately the seller has already updated the TV.
I don't use any testing equipment but 1242 didn't cause any change that I could see.

37381 - 37400 of 37452 Posts