AVS Forum banner

37401 - 37420 of 37456 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Game mode is where most people have the issue with 1242. The Blacks are not as deep as they were 1241.
That explains it. I don't game and never use other than movie mode

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I have two 65” ks8000’s.
One with 1241 firmware..
And a second with 1242 firmware.

The one with 1241 looks excellent and has fantastic dimming/blacks.

The second with 1242 looks like garbage with local dimming / black levels...

Same settings on both. I’ll post pictures when I get some time.

Has anyone noticed this?
That stinks. I’m on an earlier firmware and don’t wanna update to 1242.

Does anyone know of any website that archives older firmware?

Or does anyone still have the USB stick they used to update to 1241 so they can send me the files please?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've loved this TV since 2016, but haven't used a whole lot of HDR content on it, and I'm sort of confused about how I'm supposed to set it, and even what HDR is supposed to DO.

I normally have the backlight set to 3 out of 20 on SDR content. Somehow I got the idea that you're supposed to leave it on 20 for HDR...actually RTINGS says that, at least for games?

So far I've seen Jessica Jones in HDR some years back, and I thought it looked noticeably better, like the purples really pop from the screen and look more colorful. (The built in DIsney+ app doesn't seem to be doing much of anything with HDR that I can tell.) The best HDR content I've seen by far was Infamous: Second Son, running on a PlayStation 4 Pro. The game looks amazing in SDR, but in HDR the superpowers look bonkers, they look otherworldly, it's a night and day difference, and don't look like anything I've ever seen before. other games seem to do almost nothing with HDR, like Nino Kuni 2 had maybe one location in the game that seem to be a bit better with HDR, otherwise it seemed the same, just brighter.

I just started Days Gone today, which has me again wondering how I'm actually supposed to set this. 20 is just really bright, plus I'm worried about using more power and wearing out my back lights... I mean I know LEDs and LCDs are the most resistant to wearing out of any display technology we've ever had, but still. It ends up kind of too bright anyway.

For the first time, I've been playing it with hdr on, but with the backlight set to 3 the way I normally have it for SDR content (and which is plenty bright for me). The end result looks possibly identical to me. if there's any difference it's pretty subtle.

how am I supposed to be setting this? is there a difference for what I should be doing with HDR in games, versus like when I get my Apple TV 4K in a few days here and try to use it with Disney+? if I have it hdr on, but the backlight set to 3 is it doing anything at all?

all this HDR stuff is honestly the most confused I've ever been with display Technologies in my entire life LOL

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've loved this TV since 2016, but haven't used a whole lot of HDR content on it, and I'm sort of confused about how I'm supposed to set it, and even what HDR is supposed to DO.

I normally have the backlight set to 3 out of 20 on SDR content. Somehow I got the idea that you're supposed to leave it on 20 for HDR...actually RTINGS says that, at least for games?

So far I've seen Jessica Jones in HDR some years back, and I thought it looked noticeably better, like the purples really pop from the screen and look more colorful. (The built in DIsney+ app doesn't seem to be doing much of anything with HDR that I can tell.) The best HDR content I've seen by far was Infamous: Second Son, running on a PlayStation 4 Pro. The game looks amazing in SDR, but in HDR the superpowers look bonkers, they look otherworldly, it's a night and day difference, and don't look like anything I've ever seen before. other games seem to do almost nothing with HDR, like Nino Kuni 2 had maybe one location in the game that seem to be a bit better with HDR, otherwise it seemed the same, just brighter.

I just started Days Gone today, which has me again wondering how I'm actually supposed to set this. 20 is just really bright, plus I'm worried about using more power and wearing out my back lights... I mean I know LEDs and LCDs are the most resistant to wearing out of any display technology we've ever had, but still. It ends up kind of too bright anyway.

For the first time, I've been playing it with hdr on, but with the backlight set to 3 the way I normally have it for SDR content (and which is plenty bright for me). The end result looks possibly identical to me. if there's any difference it's pretty subtle.

how am I supposed to be setting this? is there a difference for what I should be doing with HDR in games, versus like when I get my Apple TV 4K in a few days here and try to use it with Disney+? if I have it hdr on, but the backlight set to 3 is it doing anything at all?

all this HDR stuff is honestly the most confused I've ever been with display Technologies in my entire life LOL
One of the main points of HDR is to give you brighter highlights. Setting your backlight to 20 will allow the TV to do that; in regular scenes without bright highlights like [reflections of] the sun or fire, it shouldn’t be utilizing the full brightness capability. If you set the backlight to 3 in HDR you will be totally missing out on all of that.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Read the PDF on post 1 of this thread for guidance.....

·
Registered
64 Posts

20 is too bright for me, but 3 seems way too dim. I use 16 for HDR and it is plenty bright. It would really depend on the ambient brightness of the viewing environment, I suppose.

·
Registered
49 Posts
One of the main points of HDR is to give you brighter highlights. Setting your backlight to 20 will allow the TV to do that; in regular scenes without bright highlights like [reflections of] the sun or fire, it shouldn’t be utilizing the full brightness capability. If you set the backlight to 3 in HDR you will be totally missing out on all of that.
if I set it to 20 with HDR, is it like automatically adjusting the brightness (since the TV supports like zones) so that not every area is 20 all the time? Like maybe some areas are five and others are 15, or whatever, even though the setting is 20? Like does it set the maximum brightness level, but the TV isn't always pegged at that? Or is it just using the LCD panel itself to block most of the light?

(Worst case scenario, at least it looks just fine with hdr on but the backlight set to 3, like there's nothing wrong with the image at all, and I guess I might be getting higher colored up maybe)

·
Registered
49 Posts
20 is too bright for me, but 3 seems way too dim. I use 16 for HDR and it is plenty bright. It would really depend on the ambient brightness of the viewing environment, I suppose.
Hmm, well in terms of actual brightness, 3 is plenty bright for me (it's worth noting as you're well aware this TV is gloriously bright, I think it's the brightest TV I've ever used, and way brighter than OLEDS and whatnot, which is fantastic!). But obviously at the same time I don't want to miss out on HDR effects.

I've just never heard this explained well what exactly it's doing, and why you want it set bright or whatever.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hmm, well in terms of actual brightness, 3 is plenty bright for me (it's worth noting as you're well aware this TV is gloriously bright, I think it's the brightest TV I've ever used, and way brighter than OLEDS and whatnot, which is fantastic!). But obviously at the same time I don't want to miss out on HDR effects.

I've just never heard this explained well what exactly it's doing, and why you want it set bright or whatever.
Sounds like you just want to justify your own settings.
It's 20 or nothing for HDR. The TV automatically knows what to do when set to 20 in HDR in terms of tone mapping and etc. Anything under 20 will not dynamically adjust to HDR and will just act as a static setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Still wondering if anyone has the 1241 firmware update saved on a usb stick or their desktop. I would be SUPER grateful if you could send me a zip of the files. 😍

·
Registered
5 Posts
I find it annoying that discovery plus app can't be installed on 2016 tizen platform, why did they draw line in the sand at 2017, its the first time i have seen this from a big launch app, Apple plus and Disney plus did not make the same mistake

·
Registered
44 Posts
I find it annoying that discovery plus app can't be installed on 2016 tizen platform, why did they draw line in the sand at 2017, its the first time i have seen this from a big launch app, Apple plus and Disney plus did not make the same mistake
Apple + can only be installed on a 2018 or later tizen model. Did Disney + ever get their app to run 4k HRD on the KS series? (My tv is now offline and I use a roku for streaming).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Why are you guys still using the built in apps for streaming?
Do you not find it too slow?
The Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen is amazingly fast. A few months ago I purchased the new Chromecast with Google TV and it isn’t bad either. Not as fast as the Fire TV but still faster than the built in apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37401 - 37420 of 37456 Posts