AVS Forum banner

37421 - 37440 of 37452 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
90% of my usage on smart tv is youtube tv/plex/netflix/hbo max/prime video

I only need to resort to using fire stick 4k for nfl network app for Redzone or some international TV networks i get off of Kodi

I really see no need to use external streaming device as samsungs 2016 smart platform is very similar in speed to fire stick 4k, if any current app becomes out of date for the platform or if i ever feel the need for speed I will splurge for shield tv.

I got the new chromecast with google tv for free with youtube tv subscription, but I hate the remote, it might be worst smart remote I have seen in terms of ergonomics.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
90% of my usage on smart tv is youtube tv/plex/netflix/hbo max/prime video

I only need to resort to using fire stick 4k for nfl network app for Redzone or some international TV networks i get off of Kodi

I really see no need to use external streaming device as samsungs 2016 smart platform is very similar in speed to fire stick 4k, if any current app becomes out of date for the platform or if i ever feel the need for speed I will splurge for shield tv.

I got the new chromecast with google tv for free with youtube tv subscription, but I hate the remote, it might be worst smart remote I have seen in terms of ergonomics.
Nvidia Shield is terrible on the KS. It over processes the video and make everything look extra crunchy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with the 4k feeds on the built-in Fubo app? 100% fail rate, despite working on other clients.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What Picture Mode are you using when viewing SDR and HDR content?
For HDR, Game mode...I think exclusively. I've now used it with a PS4 pro, and just the past 2 days on an AppleTV 4k (attached it to an HDMI port that was already setting game mode for a steam link)

For SDR both game mode on those platforms, and I think "normal mode" whatever it's called, for my TiVo Bolt (for both over-the-air content, and streaming I've used it for).

Sounds like you just want to justify your own settings.
It's 20 or nothing for HDR. The TV automatically knows what to do when set to 20 in HDR in terms of tone mapping and etc. Anything under 20 will not dynamically adjust to HDR and will just act as a static setting.

I just want to know what the heck is going on, and how the heck I'm supposed to set stuff. if setting it below 20 disables the mode, then I want to know that, but do you know for sure? I mean I haven't read that anywhere else, and setting is incredibly confusing if that's the case, I mean that would mean "20" should just be automatic, it would mean that shouldn't be a setting at all if that's what needs to be selected and even 19 disables it.

It would at least make more sense to me if 20 were preferred, but that setting just that's the maximum brightness, and any number you said it to is still otherwise giving you the correct effect, just not as extreme brightness differences. But you're saying it actually disables it?

Apple + can only be installed on a 2018 or later tizen model. Did Disney + ever get their app to run 4k HRD on the KS series? (My tv is now offline and I use a roku for streaming).
supposedly it does...it's 7.7GB/hour max which seems to mean "4K" at least with Disney+ (even though the hardware should easily support it, the PlayStation 4 Pro does NOT support HDR nor I think 4K with Disney+, and Max is out at 4GB/hour).

I just got an Apple TV 4K, and the sole HDR content of tried so far is the first episode of the Mandalorian season 2, and it looked better, the HDR effect looked better than I saw last year running S1 on my TV... Though it's possible S2 is just being done better (doesn't seem surprising to me) or I'm misremembering from last year. It seems to switch to HDR though as I recall.

Why are you guys still using the built in apps for streaming?
Do you not find it too slow?
The Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen is amazingly fast. A few months ago I purchased the new Chromecast with Google TV and it isn’t bad either. Not as fast as the Fire TV but still faster than the built in apps.

the speed seems fine, my issues are more that it's missing tons of programs I want to use.

Nvidia Shield is terrible on the KS. It over processes the video and make everything look extra crunchy!

after seeing tons of people recommended, I did a ton of research before buying a device, and it sounds like actually The Shield does a pretty bad job at color accuracy and what not. It sounds like basically the people who recommend it are really just doing so because they have one specific need, and it's really not that great for General usage. I've also seen multiple reports that the Chromecast with Google TV does not do HDR10 correctly at all...it may be that that's only the case in certain programs, as one person is explicitly talking about Disney+, and said if I'm recalling correctly that support for either Google or Disney acknowledged that. reports like that or the main reason I went with an Apple TV instead of a Chromecast with Google TV, because right now my only "need" for 4K + HDR10 on a streaming device is Disney+.

Hopefully in the future I'll be using other things as well, but for now that's my only usage for it, and I'm paying for Disney+, so I sure as heck want it to look as good as it can! I'm not a fan with everything with the Apple TV (both Disney+ and peacock are a little bit buggy and various ways... though they seem a bit buggy in different ways on every single platform I've tried them on). if nothing else though based on my single show I watched on it in 4k + hdr10, Apple TV 4K does seem to do a good job with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a new issue I've never run across before. You know how you click the center button on the remote (which normally functions as "select") command to do the same thing?it pulls up an overlay of it slides down from the top of the screen? That overlay tells you the resolution it's running at, the framerate it's running at, and whether it's in HDR or not? From a universal remote, you can use an "info" button command to do the same thing?

Well, it's always worked for me on every device I've tried it with, but I just hooked up my Apple TV 4K, and I can not get the info panel to slide down from the top... I hit the center button on my Samsung remote and nothing happens, I hit the info button on a universal remote, and nothing happens. Switch inputs to my TiVo and both start working again just fine.

I can still go into picture and adjust all the settings, it's clearly switching to HDR and HDR content, but I cannot get that info panel to slide down, and I find it handy to check what it's set for. I actually first tried to because I'm noticing the screen blackout before and after episodes of The Clone Wars, despite that not being HDR, and from all appearances not switching to HDR... That means I'm suspecting it's switching to 24 FPS mode, and I wanted to verify that from the TV, and discovered that it just will not work.

I think typically when I switch inputs it also has that info panel slide down from the top when it first reaches the input and establishes an HDMI link. Like I switch back to my TiVo and it has that thing slide down briefly and tell me it's 4K 60FPS...but when I switch to my Apple TV 4K, it doesn't have that slide down. I even tried disabling CEC again on my TV, thinking maybe that was somehow doing it (like maybe the select thing was being sent to the Apple TV rather than the TV itself accepting it as a command), but it didn't seem to have any effect.

has anyone seen anything like this? Does anyone know what's going on or how to get it to work? It's plugged in to HDR port 1, though I don't think that should matter, and I THINK the info panel worked fine when I used this port with my steam link previously.

·
Registered
723 Posts
My TV is starting to drive me nuts - it's kind of my own fault (explained in a bit), but this is crazy!

I cut DirecTV for cost reduction and the ability to get a more flexible setup (I have a combination of Fubo and Channels DVR, with a ton of different clients).

With DirecTV - once they updated their client box with HLG, every HDR feed triggered my setup to go to HDR. It looked awesome.

I am pulling my hair out with the multitude of clients i have, and NONE OF THEM work. I'm almost sure it's because of HLG and the lack of DV on the Samsung, but it's starting to drive me absolutely nuts, to the point of hoping the damn thing dies.

Below is all on Fox/FS1 feeds, as that's the only broadcast 4K available to me at the moment:
Fubo on an appleTV 4K: Washed out colors, no HDR flag on TV
Fox/ app on an apple TV 4K: Colors better, but still no HDR flag on TV
Same for 4K Fire stick, although i need to revisit.
Roku was unwatchable in testing this weekend: jerky video, still no HDR flag
Fubo Rizen app: every 4k feed fails to load <-- this one is particularly annoying, as i bet it would work, too

i know the main culprit here is HLG, as non-HLG HDR triggers everything fine, but man, this is nuts. The AppleTV is the most annoying, because it clearly should be able to support HLG, but just doesn't. Hopes are that a refresh in March fixes this - who knows...

Sorry - needed to vent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I find it annoying that discovery plus app can't be installed on 2016 tizen platform, why did they draw line in the sand at 2017, its the first time i have seen this from a big launch app, Apple plus and Disney plus did not make the same mistake
To be honest the old tizen is barely usable anymore but I still use it for Youtube, Sling and the Samsung TV interface...moving forward I use a FireTv for everything else until the TV gets replaced.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Whats up with this new update? 1243? When i go to update the software update and self diagnois is grayed out and i cant select them.

Also, anyone have issues when turning hdmi uhd color on it will scramble the picture when using my xbox? It did it with my one s, one x and now series x. Then older systems i would just have to not turn on HDR until after the game launched and it would fix the situation but on my series x it doesn't work... just get static screen cutting in and out until i turn off hdmi uhd setting

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whats up with this new update? 1243? When i go to update the software update and self diagnois is grayed out and i cant select them.

Also, anyone have issues when turning hdmi uhd color on it will scramble the picture when using my xbox? It did it with my one s, one x and now series x. Then older systems i would just have to not turn on HDR until after the game launched and it would fix the situation but on my series x it doesn't work... just get static screen cutting in and out until i turn off hdmi uhd setting
1243 is not available in the U.S., yet hopefully it will drop soon and somenone in Europe will give us a review if its a an improvement from 1242 or a downgrade. Not sure why your software update and self diagnois is grayed out. I'd try a reset but with you having issues with uhd color as well, maybe your unit is going bad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1243 is not available in the U.S., yet hopefully it will drop soon and somenone in Europe will give us a review if its a an improvement from 1242 or a downgrade. Not sure why your software update and self diagnois is grayed out. I'd try a reset but with you having issues with uhd color as well, maybe your unit is going bad.
It is 1243, my tv says version 1243 just updated today. My tv actually turned off after the update.. i assume it was after the update its set to auto update. I couldn't get my tv to turn back on until I unplugged the power cord from the back of the tv.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Let us know what other features or settings Samsung pulls from the set with this update. I'm running 1242.0 and the TV is no longer the one I originally bought since most of its interface features are slowly disappearing. And the picture needs constant attention.

Samsung seems to think that they can force me from what can be a perfectly gorgeous set to a new crap one (Do Not Buy until 2023 or after) by making my KS8000 a "dumb monitor".

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

37421 - 37440 of 37452 Posts