AVS Forum banner

4401 - 4420 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
So the best way to go is to get an optical cable. Does that pass bitstream to the AVR so that if it has ATMOS encoding it will pass through?

Also, 99% of the time I'm only using the TV as a video player with all sources going through my AVR. What do you have to do to switch from just streaming the video from my AVR to the TV to streaming the video and audio from my TV to the AVR (ARC).
I did a Google search and it seems optical cannot even carry Dts master or true HD. However, Don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't think my 2008 receiver Has an ARC HDMI port. Does that mean the tv apps won't be able to pass sound back to the receiver through Cec HDMI? If not, I'll have to get a crappy optical cable, haha

·
Registered
393 Posts
I haven't seen many posts from ps4 gamers so not a large sample to go by. only been reading here for 3-4 days. I guess if they are happy there isn't as much reason to post. I've never seen motion blur on any TV so I don't even know what it looks like. Hopefully all my worrying will be for naught and I will be pleasantly surprised and super happy gaming on my new TV come Friday.
I've been playing Batman Arkham Knight on PS4 mostly since I got my 55" and it looks very nice in game mode. No problems here.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Why would I want an 8000 over a Sony 65-830D?

I have narrowed down to these and hoping maybe someone here made the same choice from my 2.

KS8000 = VA Panel 830D = IPS Panel. That should be all the reason you need to choose the KS8000 over the 830D. If you want your blacks to be gray then by all means choose the Sony.

Edit: I'm not sure if you mean the 930D or the 850D. If its the 930D that is a VA panel and if I could afford to pay the extra $1000 difference when I was shopping these sets I would have gone with the Sony 930d

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
So the best way to go is to get an optical cable. Does that pass bitstream to the AVR so that if it has ATMOS encoding it will pass through?

Also, 99% of the time I'm only using the TV as a video player with all sources going through my AVR. What do you have to do to switch from just streaming the video from my AVR to the TV to streaming the video and audio from my TV to the AVR (ARC).
Return audio from TV , either by ARC or optical will only be DD 5.1 or DTS - it will not pass ATMOS.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If your AVR does not support ARC, then yes, the crappy optical is the only way to get the DD5.1 from the TV.
Hmmm, I currently launch all the apps from my ps4. Are there any worthwhile apps on the tv that are not on ps4? Or any other reason to use the tv apps over ps4? Since there is hardly anything 4K on Netflix and Amazon, I would be maybe be better off launching those through my ps4 via HDMI (like I do now) if they have any Dts master or true HD.

·
Registered
398 Posts
KS8000 = VA Panel 830D = IPS Panel. That should be all the reason you need to choose the KS8000 over the 830D. If you want your blacks to be gray then by all means choose the Sony.

Edit: I'm not sure if you mean the 930D or the 850D. If its the 930D that is a VA panel and if I could afford to pay the extra $1000 difference when I was shopping these sets I would have gone with the Sony 930d
Yes Typo, Sony 930D ... I can get for $400 more.

Samsung 9000 vs 930D?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hmmm, I currently launch all the apps from my ps4. Are there any worthwhile apps on the tv that are not on ps4? Or any other reason to use the tv apps over ps4? Since there is hardly anything 4K on Netflix and Amazon, I would be maybe be better off launching those through my ps4 via HDMI (like I do now) if they have any Dts master or true HD.
I get 4K streaming from TV YouTube app. For 1080p streaming, there are no advantage other than using one less device.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm not getting it to work also, under 4k tv info i get this. Popped in Deadpool and i get this notification also.

I get the same thing saying TV doesn't support HDR10 video. Content won't be shown in HDR. I get this on both Xbox One S's I purchased and tried directly to my TV also thinking it was my receiver.

Man I hope this gets fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I get the same thing saying TV doesn't support HDR10 video. Content won't be shown in HDR. I get this on both Xbox One S's I purchased and tried directly to my TV also thinking it was my receiver.

Man I hope this gets fixed.
xenokai mentioned you have to enable UHD Color on the HDMI input through the TVs settings, ended up fixing the problem.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes Typo, Sony 930D ... I can get for $400 more.

Samsung 9000 vs 930D?
Personally I would go with Sony for better motion handling. I really like it on my parents 850C. The 9000 isn't much of an upgrade over the 8000 and I personally couldn't justify the cost. If I were you I would look at both the KS8000 and the 930D and make a decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just received my second 55" KS8000 after returning one for the same issue. I've turned off AutoMotion Plus in settings, but after turning the tv off and then back on again, AutoMotion is present again. It still says it's off in the settings, however I can tell the difference and there's definitely a low level soap opera effect happening. The only way I've been able to fix the issue is by power cycling the tv (unplugging for a minute then turning it back on). The problem comes back as soon as I turn the TV off and on again normally.

Is anyone else experiencing this? After two televisions, my best guess is that it's a firmware issue (I'm on 1121). I've tried running the tv with all my devices unplugged and the problem persists. Also done a factory reset. I personally can't stand motion smoothing. Would rather have tons of judder than unnaturally smooth motion.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I was thinking when I buy a ks8000/8500 at the end of august that I would ditch my old wired sony surround and get a sound bar. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
What is "old wired sony surround"? If you are replacing decently sized bookshelf or floorstanding speakers, a soundbar often won't produce better sound. What are your goals? Do you value a clean setup over sound quality, or vice versa? Also, is your TV using stock stands or on a mount? If you use the stock stands, you only have 3.3" of clearance at most for a soundbar, which means the woofers on your soundbar will be smaller, and sound quality is generally proportional to woofer size.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I realize the normal $1k price difference, but I am able to get the Sony for only $400 more.

I believe the Sony has better up-scaling and I would love to keep the 3d in play, but I really want the TV with the best picture.
Gaming is not a priority for me, so if I take this out of the comparisons, they become very equal in scores. I do not have a theater so the TV is watched during the day, but mostly at night, when I can turn off the lights.

Basic TV first, then sports and movies ( streaming and Blu Rays) are equal as my main uses.

When I get down to two TVs I remove price as a factor. If I am willing to buy either, I want the best quality. Is the 9000 hands down even better?

Most employees at Best Buy and other high line store pick the Sony and I am not sure if there is a motive.
I find that Best Buy employees are heavily biased toward Sony TVs, so much so that they were recommending the 850D over the KS8000.

As for 930D vs KS8000, I echo the comment that you should view both in store. Numbers-wise they are relatively comparable, although each TV likely has their own quirks. If you agree that they are comparable though, then I would save the $400. I wouldn't bother with going with the 9000, as the difference is not that big.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Input lag is 21ms in game mode. Does using the HDMI UHD color feature increase lag? Any thoughts? Just wondering cause I like the low input lag but want to play in 4K upscaling with the Xbox One S.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Just received my second 55" KS8000 after returning one for the same issue. I've turned off AutoMotion Plus in settings, but after turning the tv off and then back on again, AutoMotion is present again. It still says it's off in the settings, however I can tell the difference and there's definitely a low level soap opera effect happening. The only way I've been able to fix the issue is by power cycling the tv (unplugging for a minute then turning it back on). The problem comes back as soon as I turn the TV off and on again normally.

Is anyone else experiencing this? After two televisions, my best guess is that it's a firmware issue (I'm on 1121). I've tried running the tv with all my devices unplugged and the problem persists. Also done a factory reset. I personally can't stand motion smoothing. Would rather have tons of judder than unnaturally smooth motion.
Have you tried AutoMotion set to Custom with subsettings at 3, 3 and Off? That works for me and some others.

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I find that Best Buy employees are heavily biased toward Sony TVs, so much so that they were recommending the 850D over the KS8000.

As for 930D vs KS8000, I echo the comment that you should view both in store. Numbers-wise they are relatively comparable, although each TV likely has their own quirks. If you agree that they are comparable though, then I would save the $400. I wouldn't bother with going with the 9000, as the difference is not that big.
Yes... I posted about this best buy phenomenon either in this thread or another one about using 4k TVs for gaming. For some strange reason it's like entering the "sony twilight zone" when you ask Best Buy employees about the X850D. I had different sales people on two different levels (both upstairs and downstairs) tell me that they all owned the X850D at home and it was the best thing EVAR!!! XD

I was considering going with a X930D, because it would have been a VA panel, but I believe the input lag on that thing is rated at approx 70ms? which is a huge no no for gaming.

I can't say I've had the same experience as you. (with auto motion plus coming back on by itself) Motion handling on the KS8500 for me has been very good when streaming from apps within the TV itself. Netlix streaming is all I've tried so far. Watched Marco Polo in UHD, with AMP (auto motion plus) on and off, TV remembers my settings, etc.

Personally I would go with Sony for better motion handling. I really like it on my parents 850C. The 9000 isn't much of an upgrade over the 8000 and I personally couldn't justify the cost. If I were you I would look at both the KS8000 and the 930D and make a decision.
Yeah man, I agree with Sony being great on motion handling. I've had Sonys before and they all did well with fast action, the X850D I tested was also good with motion. Actually was hoping to get an X850C, but my local best buy only had a scratched up floor sample. I was thinking about getting an X930D, but when I found out the input lag was horrible on that TV I didn't.

I discovered that the KS8500 may suffer from what I've researched to be 3:2 pulldown stutter, and I think it's something that exists in many other TVs as well. This is only really noticeable when cranking auto motion plus settings to max. You'll get smooth frames for 5 seconds, a hiccup (microstutter) for a fraction of a second then smooth frames for 5 seconds again, then rinse and repeat. This only happens when watching video through some kind of software player on my PC. I haven't tested watching blu-rays from my PS4 yet. (I probably should) So far I've either been watching movies with AMP completely switched off or maxed out with a combination of SVP (motion interpolation software) running active in my software players for maximum soap opera effect. I like it sometimes... LMAO.

I Never get microstuttering from PC gaming, so I think it's a matter of source material and how the TV handles content that is of a different framerate vs. the refresh rate of the source?

I figure that the TV is probably just fine because I never get stuttering from watching Netflix. Haven't tried Amazon streaming yet.

I will say that out of all TVs I've owned the Samsung is the only one that can get both UFOs to run smoothly on this test: http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates
My older Sony 1080p TVs and the Sony X850D can only make one of the UFOs smooth, with the other one juddering using any/all combinations of motion processing settings.

Have you tried AutoMotion set to Custom with subsettings at 3, 3 and Off? That works for me and some others.

Sent from my Samsung S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Hmm.. Going to give that a shot tonight.

4401 - 4420 of 37175 Posts