AVS Forum banner

13621 - 13640 of 37175 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I need some help. Debating whether i should get the 60inch or 55inch the only thing holding me back from 60 is the sharp panel, but from what it seems there arent really any diffrences. What is the consensus here on these panel differences?
I have the 60 and it's fantastic. Slight slight slight light bleed along the bottom but look at it this way, I returned 5 other tvs (different brands) before this one because I'm so picky so if I could live with this small small bleed, anyone can. Trust me.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just got off the phone with Netflix. Really nice helpful guy. Seems as though according to rtngs.com when you are watching a regular4k non hdr program and then you switch to an hdr program the tv is supposed to switch from standard mode to hdr+ automatically. Mine not doing that. Have to switch manually myself in settings. Netflix said it is they're issue and he was reporting it. Hopefully Netflix will update this for it to work properly. Anybody else having this glitch?
Check that. The modes are switching automatic now. Went from hdr Netflix back to time warner and it changed down to standard mode and vice versa. Cooool!

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
Strongly considering getting a 49" KS8000 (since it appears to be the top reviewed ~$1k 4K tv with proper HDR/WCG support) this weekend to replace my 2012 32" 1080p panel. I just have a few questions to settle my nerves a bit :)

- Is 49" a good size for a viewing distance of ~4.5 feet? The different calculators seem to give different answers
- From what I understand, the AA02 version seems to be the least likely to be problematic, is this correct?
- How well does this model behave in low light? Is the blooming effect from the edge lighting distracting? (I watch a lot of stuff at night)
- Does the upscaling place tolerably nice with SD content (for older stuff in my media library)? If not, would watching such content scaled down via player controls help (stretched less)?

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of easily accessible 4k/HDR content at the moment, so I'm pondering whether or not to hold off on picking up a 4k blu ray player (and am a bit hesitant to upgrade at all, but I'm getting a PS4 pro so I figure now is as good a time as any)

(questions somewhat reposted from elsewhere, in the interest of getting answers if possible before the sales expire)

Thanks! If anyone has any other random recommendations I'm happy to hear them too!
4.5 feet? Based on the criterion that the eye should be barely able to resolve the pixel spacing, that would be about 37". No one sits that close, unless the TV is on a desk, used as a computer monitor. 52" would be good.
I doubt that the panel type matters much. I'm happy with my FA01 (Samsung).
I haven't done low light. (Room lights are always on.) Whether the blooming would be distracting may have more to do with you than the set.
I use the TV for UHD Blu Ray, Blu Ray, and DVD. The latter two are upscaled by a Samsung UBD-K8500. I'm satisfied by all three. I haven't used HDR+ so far.

If you're looking for a low price on a UHD player, this is the lowest I've heard of:

https://www.nfm.com/DetailsPage.aspx?productid=47118815

(Philips BDP7501 for $100US). No idea how long that price is good for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Different calculators and different posts in this forum seem to suggest different things regarding distance. My TV lives off to the right from my computer in my bedroom. I watch stuff / play games on it (while doing actual work/web surfing/etc on my computer monitor which is much smaller). What do you mean by 52" would be good? (If you mean screen size, for the KS8000 its 49 or 55 -- I was thinking the 49 because of the savings and because it would be a little easier to rotate it a bit to improve the viewing angle from my desk)

Regarding the rest: Thanks for the info. I guess there's no knowing with the light bloom (unless someone else offers their own experience on that) but I guess its probably ok (I hope). If the upscaling for DVD content seems good to you that's a big relief (I have many years 480p/i content that I'd hate to render unwatchable).

Regarding the UHD Blu Ray player: Hmm, interesting. Considering the relatively small number of titles available at the moment I'm considering holding off a few months on that, but I'm not sure. Amazon *was* running a good deal on the samsung UBD-K8500 but they seem to have ended that.

[edit] I totally should have properly quoted your response, sorry!

·
Registered
934 Posts
My HDMI Black Level setting is greyed out coz right now not watching anything over hdmi
I'm only watching Netflicks, Hulu and over the air antenna
I cut the cable somewhat :)
I'm curious what type of antenna you are using? I'm mainly watching BD's/Games on my One and then using the streaming services through the tv apps, but wouldn't mind watching local stuff occasionally on my tv if I can get something that will pick up channels down here in the valley where I live in Washington State.

Just got off the phone with Netflix. Really nice helpful guy. Seems as though according to rtngs.com when you are watching a regular4k non hdr program and then you switch to an hdr program the tv is supposed to switch from standard mode to hdr+ automatically. Mine not doing that. Have to switch manually myself in settings. Netflix said it is they're issue and he was reporting it. Hopefully Netflix will update this for it to work properly. Anybody else having this glitch?
HDR+, like Sports and Game mode has to be enabled by you, the owner. So it isn't HDR+ that gets enabled, but HDR. I also believe you still have to be in a specific picture mode for HDR content to kick in with the television apps. I've got mine in Movie mode, even when I'm gaming on my Xbox One. The problem with Netflix is they don't have much in the way of HDR content compared to Amazon's original programming. I'm sorry to sound like I'm busting your chops lmartinijr1. I'm just tired of seeing owners calling HDR HDR+. They aren't the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Another note: cnet doesn't seem to like the KS8000 very much, they prefer the (ignoring the Sony X930D on account of price) Vizio P due to its better local dimming (and thus better behavior in low light). I am put off by the Vizio's weird controls and lack of a tuner, but that gives me some pause.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Another note: cnet doesn't seem to like the KS8000 very much, they prefer the (ignoring the Sony X930D on account of price) Vizio P due to its better local dimming (and thus better behavior in low light). I am put off by the Vizio's weird controls and lack of a tuner, but that gives me some pause.
I'd take reviews with a grain of salt. I can tell you I personally had the same apprehension with the Vizio and I have a 47" E Series in our bedroom that we still love. I was originally looking at the 70 or 75" of last years M Series for my Sanctum. Then I had to take a break and in that time the P Series came out and I was back to the drawing board. Like you, I'm not fond of the casting. I don't know if they've improved thing, but it was buggy when I was looking. There are also some former owners who switched over to the KS8000 here they could help you out better there. All I know is I kept coming back to it and in the end, I loved the versatility of my 65" television.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, first time poster here.
I picked one of these up a few days ago and have finally found some settings that I am moderately settled with. I am finding the light bleed and black level on this set really disappointing compared to the 1080p Bravia it has replaced in my gaming setup.
I am still in two minds about taking it back as right now I have have a problem that I can't seem to resolve which is kind of a deal breaker
The problem I have is that when in gaming mode playing side scrolling games, the motion blur is terrible. Motion plus completely fixes this when outside of game mode but not having game mode on causes horrendous unplayable input lag, particularly on 1080p or 720p content that is being scaled up.
Is there any way to get the anti blur function working in game mode?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm curious what type of antenna you are using? I'm mainly watching BD's/Games on my One and then using the streaming services through the tv apps, but wouldn't mind watching local stuff occasionally on my tv if I can get something that will pick up channels down here in the valley where I live in Washington State.

HDR+, like Sports and Game mode has to be enabled by you, the owner. So it isn't HDR+ that gets enabled, but HDR. I also believe you still have to be in a specific picture mode for HDR content to kick in with the television apps. I've got mine in Movie mode, even when I'm gaming on my Xbox One. The problem with Netflix is they don't have much in the way of HDR content compared to Amazon's original programming. I'm sorry to sound like I'm busting your chops lmartinijr1. I'm just tired of seeing owners calling HDR HDR+. They aren't the same.
It's automatically now switching back and forth according to the source so I guess it's doing what it's supposed too. Happy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd take reviews with a grain of salt. I can tell you I personally had the same apprehension with the Vizio and I have a 47" E Series in our bedroom that we still love. I was originally looking at the 70 or 75" of last years M Series for my Sanctum. Then I had to take a break and in that time the P Series came out and I was back to the drawing board. Like you, I'm not fond of the casting. I don't know if they've improved thing, but it was buggy when I was looking. There are also some former owners who switched over to the KS8000 here they could help you out better there. All I know is I kept coming back to it and in the end, I loved the versatility of my 65" television.
Yes, I would definitely like their impressions, particularly with regard to performance in low light (since I tend to do a lot of movie watching / game playing at night, with lights low or off). The light bloom problem is making me really quite apprehensive. It feels like none of the affordable panels this holiday season are without a particular serious flaw (The Vizio seems to have a couple, particularly the tablet interface weirdness). Part of me wants to wait for the next generation (and when they're on sale!) and hope they are without similar *serious* flaws. But at the same time I feel like that would be a waste of video game prettiness potential.

(Of course, if it turns out that the panel performs fine in low light and the reviewers are just being overly judgemental, that would be great :))

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, I would definitely like their impressions, particularly with regard to performance in low light (since I tend to do a lot of movie watching / game playing at night, with lights low or off). The light bloom problem is making me really quite apprehensive. It feels like none of the affordable panels this holiday season are without a particular serious flaw (The Vizio seems to have a couple, particularly the tablet interface weirdness). Part of me wants to wait for the next generation (and when they're on sale!) and hope they are without similar *serious* flaws. But at the same time I feel like that would be a waste of video game prettiness potential.

(Of course, if it turns out that the panel performs fine in low light and the reviewers are just being overly judgemental, that would be great :))

Please see my post above. I'm not particularly pleased with it as I game in low light and have to keep the backlight at 5 max to deal with the light bleed issues. It also has serious blur issues in game mode that I can't seem to remedy

·
Registered
658 Posts
Couple of questions....have time warner here in NYC. When I change sources screen will display channel resolution...only when I change the source it pops up for a second....anyway I can get the resolution info manually on screen? Also notice my hdmi input for my Apple TV keeps changing its source name to pic....anyway I can fix that? I did change my Apple TV resolution from 1080 up to its max resolution....could that be the reason it's reading it as a pic source? Thanx.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does anyone have the KS8000D? I'm curious how much darker and thicker the bezel is in comparison to the regular KS8000. My local Costco doesn't have it on display so I'd greatly appreciate seeing it :)

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Not sure if this is appropriate to post here but considering it's supposedly a really good showcase for 4K HDR, Batman vs Superman UHD BD is on sale on Best Buy for $9.99: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-includes-digital-copy-ultimate-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray-2016/5092905.p?skuId=5092905

I'm not sure if it's a price error since it's the only UHD that's at that price, but I'd grab it asap if you have a UHD player ( which you really should if you want to take full advantage of this awesome TV! )
I have it, and yes it's good. The HDR-popping that has actually impressed me the most is the first 20 minutes of "Man of Steel". (Which is effectively part 1, with BVS DOJ being "part 2" of the same story.) . All the LASER weapons are HDR-tastic! As LASER light should be! :D

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Correct. HDR will work in Game, Movie and Standard moves. And in the last two, it will also remember its own set of settings to save you changing the backlight/contrast manually.

If we've now got Netflix confusing HDR+ (the "try to make this SDR content look like HDR" mode) with real HDR, it's going to get worse :eek::mad:

I tend to do a lot of movie watching / game playing at night, with lights low or off). The light bloom problem is making me really quite apprehensive. It feels like none of the affordable panels this holiday season are without a particular serious flaw
[...]
But at the same time I feel like that would be a waste of video game prettiness potential.

Here's mine showing that pattern in the dark, if it helps. The light at the bottom is the "Samsung" logo (I left it lit on purpose).

Remember that test images are designed to make tiny flaws as visible as possible to help the calibration engineer.

It's a great TV.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Couple of questions....have time warner here in NYC. When I change sources screen will display channel resolution...only when I change the source it pops up for a second....anyway I can get the resolution info manually on screen? Also notice my hdmi input for my Apple TV keeps changing its source name to pic....anyway I can fix that? I did change my Apple TV resolution from 1080 up to its max resolution....could that be the reason it's reading it as a pic source? Thanx.
Figured it out. Changed the resolution on the Apple settings back to1080p now source name stays Apple.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Correct. HDR will work in Game, Movie and Standard moves. And in the last two, it will also remember its own set of settings to save you changing the backlight/contrast manually.

If we've now got Netflix confusing HDR+ (the "try to make this SDR content look like HDR" mode) with real HDR, it's going to get worse :eek::mad:

Here's mine showing that pattern in the dark, if it helps. The light at the bottom is the "Samsung" logo (I left it lit on purpose).

Remember that test images are designed to make tiny flaws as visible as possible to help the calibration engineer.

It's a great TV.
I have no blooming either. Great tv ditto.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Curious that the 60KS8000 has BD Wise and the 65KS8000 doesn't have BD Wise. I'm wondering if the panel is why one has it and the other does not.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Does anyone have the KS8000D? I'm curious how much darker and thicker the bezel is in comparison to the regular KS8000. My local Costco doesn't have it on display so I'd greatly appreciate seeing it :)
If that Costco has the 850D, the 800D bezel will look exactly like it, just curved instead of flat. It's sort of a gunmetal grey and almost completely disappears when actually watching something.

13621 - 13640 of 37175 Posts