AVS Forum banner

14221 - 14240 of 37300 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Just bought a KS8500 for my basement. Want to get a real good sound system but don't have it pre-wired for 5.1, so I'm looking at the sonos 5.1 setup, 2 Play 1's with sub and the playbar.

What is the easiest way to set up this? I'm not that savvy with this stuff, I want it to be true 5.1. I will have DirecTV, Apple TV, PS4, and 4K Blu Ray player hooked up to it. Will a simple optical cable hooked up to the sound bar do the trick? Don't want to put the 1700 into the sound system if im not going to be able to get true 5.1 with my setup.

Thanks for any and all advice
Sonos is great for the play bar and sub, but I wouldn't count on a reliable 5.1 set up. Your only option with the playbar is an optical connection, and I am not sure if the Samsung can pass 5.1 via optical? Hopefully someone else can chime in. Even so, you are going to most likely be limited to DD+ at best.

The set up you are mentioning is not that far from $1700. I honestly think you should look into a 3.2.1 set up with atmos speakers to try and help with the "surround" feel. I have a 3.2.2 (left, right, center, 2 subs, and 2 Atmos speakers on top of the L/R speakers) set up for a room I cannot add rear speakers in and it sounds damn good. Much better than any sound bar

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
There is nothing wrong with using dynamic contrast. i usually keep it on medium. honestly use what you like not what some1 else here does. all that matters is what you like and what looks good to you.
Theres not 1 person here who is god of tvs.
He's using the "Dynamic" picture mode, not the "Dynamic Contrast" setting within one of the modes.
You're right it's all personal preferences, and he's right to feel a tinge of shame :p:D (IMHO LOL)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got mine all set up and loaded 1152. I am very sensitive to motion lag, judder, etc.

I can confirm with Comcast and auto motion plus set to off there is no judder watching anything (live tv, DVR recordings, on on demand). Even custom and both blur and judder set to 0 has horrible judder. However off and there is none.
What are pushing to the tv from the X1 box, 720P, 1080I, or 1080P?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hello guys. A few days ago, my stepfather bought a KS8500 and an XBone One S for 4K Blu Ray playback.

No matter what settings on the TV or XBox, 4K Blu Ray playback is extremely washed out and dim, upon putting the XBox One Blu Ray app in fullscreen. If I hit the center button to go to the XBox dashboard, you can see the 4K Blu Ray playback playing perfectly with inky blacks, and proper colors. But once I fullscreen, PQ goes to crap.

Any thoughts?

HDR gaming, and REGULAR Blu Ray both play 100% perfectly. It is JUST 4K Blu Ray, with or without HDR that gets all washed out and messed up.

edit: I'd have to turn off HDR everytime we wanna watch a movie, and lower the brightness by 10 just to get the equivalent of everything else in SDR on the XB1 S.

Is this a problem with the TV or the XBox?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Make sure you set the TV's "HDMI UHD Color" setting to ON for the input your PS4 Pro is connected to.

Manually set the PS4 to output YUV 4:2:0

For "Game Mode", you will have to manually turn up the TV's "Brightness" and "Contrast" settings. (It will be automatic in "Movie" and "Standard" picture modes.)

Richard
You can't just keep the PS4 in Auto?

·
Registered
243 Posts
For non-HDR games (only), you can set it to RGB 4:4:4 if you want.

Just remember to set the TV's "HDMI Black Level" setting to "Normal" to match.

Or you can simply leave it on YUV 4:2:0 all the time (or try the "Auto" setting if you want).

It's up to you. Your choice!

:)

Richard
I have my original PS4 hooked up to my new KS8000. I'm playing Uncharted 4 in 1080p HDR.

Does anyone know the correct settings for this situation?
The original PS4 doesn't have YUV settings, only RGB at FULL, LIMITED, or AUTO.

Right now, I'm running the PS4 in RGB "Auto", and the KS8000 HDMI Black Level in "auto" as well.
Uncharted 4 mostly looks good, but in some areas it just looks too dark, like blacks are being crushed.

If I switch the PS4 to RGB Full, and the HDMI Black Level to "Normal", the image is much brighter, but I think unnaturally so.

What is the magic combination here that is technically correct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi guys,

Since 2 weeks, I'm the proud owner of an EU KS7500 (= US KS8500).

I'm fully satisfied, except for one thing : I can't play MKV or MP4 10bit videos, whether from the PC using Samsung Smart View or from an External USB HDD. "The selected file is currently not supported"
I tried different encoding in h264 and h265, and as long as it's 10bit it won't play... but play fine if I encode in 8bit.

HDMI UHD COLOR is "on" for the 4 HDMI

10bit HDR movies play fine.

Here's an exemple of an anime that won't play :

Code:
General
Unique ID                      : 182457382130502253331546670270137472799 (0x8944037A1B8AB317BC43B73A553B971F)
Complete name                  : F:\[KamiFS]_Dragon_Ball_Super_-_016_(720p x264)_[10bit]_[F07C75EE].mkv
Format                         : Matroska
Format version                 : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                      : 500 MiB
Duration                       : 23mn 24s
Overall bit rate               : 2 987 Kbps
Encoded date                   : UTC 2015-10-25 16:48:33
Writing application            : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
Writing library                : libebml v1.3.1 + libmatroska v1.4.2
Attachements                   : arial.ttf / ariblk.ttf / Candara.ttf / Candarab.ttf / Candarai.ttf / Candaraz.ttf / OpeningKaraoke[font].ttf / tt0009m_.ttf / tt0503m_.ttf
DURATION                       : 00:23:11.810000000
NUMBER_OF_FRAMES               : 655
NUMBER_OF_BYTES                : 89565
_STATISTICS_WRITING_APP        : mkvmerge v8.3.0 ('Over the Horizon') 64bit
_STATISTICS_WRITING_DATE_UTC   : 2015-10-25 16:48:33
_STATISTICS_TAGS               : BPS DURATION NUMBER_OF_FRAMES NUMBER_OF_BYTES

Video
ID                             : 1
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : High [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 6 frames
Codec ID                       : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Width                          : 1 280 pixels
Height                         : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 23.976 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 10 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Writing library                : x264 core 146 r2538 121396c
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=6 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=5 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=81 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=62500 / vbv_bufsize=78125 / crf_max=0.0 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60
Language                       : Japanese
Default                        : Yes
Forced                         : No

Audio
ID                             : 2
Format                         : AAC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                 : LC
Codec ID                       : A_AAC
Channel(s)                     : 2 channels
Channel positions              : Front: L R
Sampling rate                  : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode               : Lossy
Delay relative to video        : 9ms
Language                       : Japanese

Text
ID                             : 3
Format                         : ASS
Codec ID                       : S_TEXT/ASS
Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Sub Station Alpha
Compression mode               : Lossless
Language                       : English

Menu
00:00:00.054                   : en:00:00:00.054
If anyone has a solution, I'ld be really grateful :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
So trying to get some potential ideas to try to fix my apparently not working HDMI ARC. It was working before yesterday as I was able to get 5.1 sound out of my TV to my Sony HT-SS730. But after I hooked up my PC with 2 HDMI(1 to TV and one to the Sony receiver) it somehow stops working. I am not getting any sound from the TV to the receiver, stereo or otherwise, and receiver isn't showing any indication that its receiving anything from the TV. I even tried a reset of the TV and it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried the receiver separately with the PC and it is still working.

I've read earlier posts in this thread about somehow HDMI1 with cable setup box there might somehow cause some issue. Not sure why it wasn't doing it before but I might try that. I might also try plugging the cable into the receiver and use the receiver to control non-4K switching. Outside of that though I am out of ideas...

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have my original PS4 hooked up to my new KS8000. I'm playing Uncharted 4 in 1080p HDR.

Does anyone know the correct settings for this situation?
The original PS4 doesn't have YUV settings, only RGB at FULL, LIMITED, or AUTO.

Right now, I'm running the PS4 in RGB "Auto", and the KS8000 HDMI Black Level in "auto" as well.
Uncharted 4 mostly looks good, but in some areas it just looks too dark, like blacks are being crushed.

If I switch the PS4 to RGB Full, and the HDMI Black Level to "Normal", the image is much brighter, but I think unnaturally so.

What is the magic combination here that is technically correct?
RGB Full on the PS4 and HDMI Black Level Normal is correct and should stop the black crush. There's no need for a YUV option on the standard PS4 since there's enough bandwidth to carry full RGB over HDMI. 10 bit 4:4:4 RGB with HDR @ 60hz would require more bandwidth than HDMI High Speed can handle, so the Pro falls back to 4:2:0 YUV to get 10 bit 4k to the set.

Reactions: King Richard

·
Banned
425 Posts
Hello guys. A few days ago, my stepfather bought a KS8500 and an XBone One S for 4K Blu Ray playback.

No matter what settings on the TV or XBox, 4K Blu Ray playback is extremely washed out and dim, upon putting the XBox One Blu Ray app in fullscreen. If I hit the center button to go to the XBox dashboard, you can see the 4K Blu Ray playback playing perfectly with inky blacks, and proper colors. But once I fullscreen, PQ goes to crap.

Any thoughts?

HDR gaming, and REGULAR Blu Ray both play 100% perfectly. It is JUST 4K Blu Ray, with or without HDR that gets all washed out and messed up.

edit: I'd have to turn off HDR everytime we wanna watch a movie, and lower the brightness by 10 just to get the equivalent of everything else in SDR on the XB1 S.

Is this a problem with the TV or the XBox?
What do you mean by turn HDR off? In the Xbox, or on the TV? On the TV, HDR is only enabled when you feed it HDR content. I don't believe you can manually turn it off or on. Or did you mean the processing feature "HDR+"?

Do you have HDMI UHD Color enabled in your TV settings for the HDMI port in which your Xbox is connected?

·
Registered
333 Posts
probably not the right place to ask but does any1 know why the psvr won't not pass HDR? pretty sure its a ps thing and not the tv. but after all the talk of how great the tv is for 4k, amazing how much fun the psvr is and only does 1080p.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Not the connect box? It automatically asked me to browse files and didn't recognize. Won't the same thing happen if I connect USB to back of tv....won't it automatically recognize the flash drive?
I have always done it from one of the USB ports in the OCB (one connect box). The port on the back of the TV isn't easily accessible to me.

I believe that it'll work whether the USB drive is formatted FAT32 or NTFS. I'm not sure whether I have done a firmware upgrade from an NTFS drive, but I have watched downloaded demo videos from one.

What you have on your desktop isn't really a folder; its a Zip (compressed) archive. That's transparent to you, except when you copy a file or folder out of it: the PC has to decompress it, so it takes much longer than a regular file copy.

This is probably spelled out elsewhere, but I'll try again:

Download the firmware file. (You already have that.)

Insert a USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 2GB in the PC. If it's not blank, delete everything on it or do a quick format. (I doubt that's necessary, but do it anyway.)

Open the TV's downloaded firmware file.

Drag (copy) the 'image' folder to the flash drive. (It's a gigabyte or so, so it may take a while.)

Safe eject the USB flash drive. (Or not. It probably doesn't matter.)

Insert the flash drive into one of the USB ports in the OCB.

Go to settings support, software update. Do the 'update now' thing. If you have a USB drive attached, you'll be asked whether you want to search the drive for updates. Say 'yes'.

That should do it.

Or, just wait days, weeks, or months for an over-the-air firmware update. You may find that other in your region get an update long before you do. I don't know why Samsung works that way; I suppose that it may be due to the capacity of their servers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry in advance if this is the wrong thread for this question.

I was hoping to pick up the 65" at Costco for the usual reasons. In the last few days it's gone from "Out of Stock" to not listed on their site. Based on past experience with Costco and product life cycles, what are the odds it's going to reappear in the near future? Or should I just throw in the towel and pick it up elsewhere? Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
sonos 5.1 / KS8000

Connect everything to the TV's OneConnect Box.

Run an optical cable to your SONOS PLAYBAR.

Set the TV's audio output to "bitstream".

Richard
I just got the ks8000 today and hooked it up with Sonos like you mentioned.
I have a Hulu account so I played some content through it (build it app on smart tv) and i DID NOT get surround sound (5.1). Can you direct me to some 'test' I can do to verify that my setup is correct for surround sound ? I have heard that Netflix (built in app) has 5.1 audio ... would this be a good 'test' ??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tried out this TV last weekend, but ran into some serious audio glitches while playing 4K content through the TV's built-in Amazon Prime Video smart app. While playing Dolphins (4K HDR) the audio would pop, and stop playing all together. While playing Neon Demon (4K) the audio would stop for a brief second every few minutes.

Is this a common problem with the TV, or is the app? I just want to make sure it's not my HDMI cable (which was a pain to install through the wall), or my pre-amp.

TV is connected by HDMI 4 (ARC) to Marantz AVR 7702 mkII, with a high speed Luxe 40 foot HDMI cable from Monoprice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello folks,

I've got the 55" KS8000 couple of weeks ago. Amazing with PS4 Pro, Xbox One S and Blu-Ray. Amazing.

However, Dish in 1080i was a complete disaster. I upgraded my Dish equipment to Hopper 3 and 4K Joey. Still the worse image I've seen on any of my TVs since 2007. The 4K Joey says it is outputting 1080i, the KS8000 confirms it, but what my eyes are seeing on my screen is definitely at 480p DVD level. After playing a lot with settings, found out that lowering contrast to 50-60s and bumping Backlight to 10-13 (at night, dark room) helps a little. All Dish HD channels that used to look great on my old 50" Vizio M502-b1 (1080p) now look like a 480p DVD on the KS8000.

I've seen people saying here and other forums that regular HD channels look amazing this set. Am I'm missing something here? Should I call a Dish technician to check on my installation or only solution is to switch from Dish?

(I tried to use search on this topic, found no answer)

I have Dish and I was noticing same thing. Grainy picture. I turned on HDR+ picture mode and seemed to help a lot with dish channels. Might want to give it a try

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
probably not the right place to ask but does any1 know why the psvr won't not pass HDR? pretty sure its a ps thing and not the tv. but after all the talk of how great the tv is for 4k, amazing how much fun the psvr is and only does 1080p.
The root cause is the process unit of the ps vr: it's not able to pass through the HDR signal, but it's still able to pass through the 4k signal. So, there's no solution for HDR, unless Sony will release a new process unit box. So far the "middle" solution is an HDMI switch, but there's a lot of issue using that (see psvr reddit or neogaf forum for other infos)

14221 - 14240 of 37300 Posts