AVS Forum banner

14241 - 14260 of 37301 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I just got the ks8000 today and hooked it up with Sonos like you mentioned.
I have a Hulu account so I played some content through it (build it app on smart tv) and i DID NOT get surround sound (5.1). Can you direct me to some 'test' I can do to verify that my setup is correct for surround sound ? I have heard that Netflix (built in app) has 5.1 audio ... would this be a good 'test' ??
I am about 90% sure that optical can only carry PCM (stereo) from the built in apps. The only way to get 5.1 would be to connect a 3rd party player (roku, ATV, etc) directly into the the sonos with the optical cable. Does any TV actually send 5.1 with the optical cable?

That is the only good thing about ARC, if you can get it working, and newer TVs. While it may not be the lossless kind, you can send 5.1, ATMOS, etc.

I love the way the sonos soundbar sounds, but not having HDMI really limits connectivity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just got the ks8000 today and hooked it up with Sonos like you mentioned.
I have a Hulu account so I played some content through it (build it app on smart tv) and i DID NOT get surround sound (5.1). Can you direct me to some 'test' I can do to verify that my setup is correct for surround sound ? I have heard that Netflix (built in app) has 5.1 audio ... would this be a good 'test' ??
I'm pretty sure Hulu doesn't output audio in 5.1...nor video in 1080p.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am about 90% sure that optical can only carry PCM (stereo) from the built in apps. The only way to get 5.1 would be to connect a 3rd party player (roku, ATV, etc) directly into the the sonos with the optical cable. Does any TV actually send 5.1 with the optical cable?

That is the only good thing about ARC, if you can get it working, and newer TVs. While it may not be the lossless kind, you can send 5.1, ATMOS, etc.

I love the way the sonos soundbar sounds, but not having HDMI really limits connectivity.
Thanks for reply. I am planning to get a ps4 pro, so if i connect optical cable to ps4 will i get 5.1 on my home theater ?

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Thanks for reply. I am planning to get a ps4 pro, so if i connect optical cable to ps4 will i get 5.1 on my home theater ?
Yes. Connect the PS4 optical cable directly into the Sonos and you will get 5.1 from the PS4 apps/games/movies you play.

Just to be 100% certain the optical cable on the Samsung TV cannot push 5.1 try a movie on Vudu. Those should 100% have at least 5.1 audio.

·
Registered
62 Posts
UN65KS8000 doesnt display Movie Mode

I bought this tv last week. I have my Pioneer receiver plugged up to the ocb. My comcast x1 box, xbox 1, and htpc are connected to the receiver. Then an hdmi goes out to the ocb. After being on with customer support for over an hour last week they rest the tv couple of times and movie mode came up. Now it is back to not showing movie. Only Dynamic and Standard. Also game mode wont show up. I have been on with them for an hour again, and they are saying that the tv decides what mode is best for whatever is connected to the tv. $1500 top of the line 4k tv and you can not tell it what to do. Someone have any ideas???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. Connect the PS4 optical cable directly into the Sonos and you will get 5.1 from the PS4 apps/games/movies you play.

Just to be 100% certain the optical cable on the Samsung TV cannot push 5.1 try a movie on Vudu. Those should 100% have at least 5.1 audio.
I read somewhere that 5.1 can be pushed through optical cable on samsung tv (Samsung customer care said that)

So may be because I have only tried HULU (built in app) which does not support 5.1 audio, I am not getting any..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anyone know if the Samsung smart remote can control a Roku streaming stick? I just picked up this TV (55") and love the new remote control but I can't get it to control the Roku. I don't think it's possible, but wanted to confirm with you guys. Thanks!
If you haven't figured it out already, the smart remote will not control a Roku Streaming Stick because the Stick uses RF and the Samsung remote only speaks IR. You should be able to use a Harmony hub, which I am going to try tonight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
question about the HDMI-CEC capability between my KS8000 set and my Marantz SR6008 receiver. I have my receiver's output ARC port connected to HDMI 4 ARC on the TV. My Cox cable box is connected to HDMI 1 (CBL/SAT input). HDMI CEC is enabled on the receiver. When I go into the smart hub menu and change my speaker to HDMI audio, my receiver turns on automatically but it seems to also automatically switch my receiver input to "TV Audio". That "TV Audio" is an optical input on the receiver. I thought that since I connected the HDMI to ARC ports, I should be able to get audio from the HDMI.

Does this mean I would have to run an optical cable in addition to the HDMI cable connected to ARC in/out? Is there any way to get the TV to switch to the HDMI 1 port on the receiver? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
question about the HDMI-CEC capability between my KS8000 set and my Marantz SR6008 receiver. I have my receiver's output ARC port connected to HDMI 4 ARC on the TV. My Cox cable box is connected to HDMI 1 (CBL/SAT input). HDMI CEC is enabled on the receiver. When I go into the smart hub menu and change my speaker to HDMI audio, my receiver turns on automatically but it seems to also automatically switch my receiver input to "TV Audio". That "TV Audio" is an optical input on the receiver. I thought that since I connected the HDMI to ARC ports, I should be able to get audio from the HDMI.

Does this mean I would have to run an optical cable in addition to the HDMI cable connected to ARC in/out? Is there any way to get the TV to switch to the HDMI 1 port on the receiver? Any suggestions?
I have a similar setup but with a Denon S720W AVR. When the Denon goes to TV Audio (Denon has TV Audio Switching set to to On), audio from my KS800D automatically uses the ARC HDMI cable. Is there a setting in your Marantz to tell it to use HDMI ARC instead of optical?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I picked up this sucker last week and I'm totally loving it. I currently am using an Xbox One S for to get my 4K fix. One thing I noticed last night while messing around in the settings of the Xbox One Display settings is that I had color depth set to 8 bits. I can choose 10 bit and 12 bit. I changed it to 10 bit and I felt like color improved quite a bit while I was watching Batman vs Superman. The image seemed crisper too. Should this be set at 10 bit? Will 12 bit even make a difference on this set?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Happy Holidays All , I just pulled the trigger today on the 65'' KS8000 , really excited to get it. I have a question that may have been answered , i have been reading through the thread and cant seem to find it. I have a 7.1 Surround Setup & Onkyo receiver , I believe it is 4k capable but not hdr so i plan on just running a Optical via the TV'S port and to the receiver rather than going hdmi cable. Will i still be able to get 7.1 Sound doing it this way via all inputs ? I'd much rather do this than run hdmi through the receiver . Thank you

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

You need to assign HDMI audio to the TV Audio input on the receiver. It's in the settings. I have Denon not Marantz but they all work the same.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Happy Holidays All , I just pulled the trigger today on the 65'' KS8000 , really excited to get it. I have a question that may have been answered , i have been reading through the thread and cant seem to find it. I have a 7.1 Surround Setup & Onkyo receiver , I believe it is 4k capable but not hdr so i plan on just running a Optical via the TV'S port and to the receiver rather than going hdmi cable. Will i still be able to get 7.1 Sound doing it this way via all inputs ? I'd much rather do this than run hdmi through the receiver . Thank you
Optical can carry a 7.1 setup. The question is will you be using an Xbox, PS4, 4K bluray player, or any other HDR 4K device in the future? If so then those devices will need to be plugged directly into the OCB and then use ARC or Optical for audio. If you are not using those devices then you can run everything through your receiver and use ARC or optical for audio on the Smart TV apps.

Edit: I'm not completely sure the TV will pass 7.1 channels. It may downgrade them to 5.1 In any case, the only media that has 7.1 channels would be a Bluray. In which case you for sure would want to use HDMI for audio as that is lossless and sounds much better. You would then want to make sure you are running the bluray player directly to the receiver. If you run it to the OCB and then use ARC or Optical for audio you would lose HD audio.

14241 - 14260 of 37301 Posts