AVS Forum banner

14261 - 14280 of 37263 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I have a similar setup but with a Denon S720W AVR. When the Denon goes to TV Audio (Denon has TV Audio Switching set to to On), audio from my KS800D automatically uses the ARC HDMI cable. Is there a setting in your Marantz to tell it to use HDMI ARC instead of optical?
Just to piggy back on this, if you have a harmony you want that "TV Audio Switching" turned off. I know it was causing my audio to always go to that input regardless of my settings.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Optical can carry a 7.1 setup. The question is will you be using an Xbox, PS4, 4K bluray player, or any other HDR 4K device in the future? If so then those devices will need to be plugged directly into the OCB and then use ARC or Optical for audio. If you are not using those devices then you can run everything through your receiver and use ARC or optical for audio on the Smart TV apps.

Edit: I'm not completely sure the TV will pass 7.1 channels. It may downgrade them to 5.1 In any case, the only media that has 7.1 channels would be a Bluray. In which case you for sure would want to use HDMI for audio as that is lossless and sounds much better. You would then want to make sure you are running the bluray player directly to the receiver. If you run it to the OCB and then use ARC or Optical for audio you would lose HD audio.
but has it been confirmed that the Samsung TV can pass 5.1 or greater via optical? I know optical itself is capable of that, but ARC and Optical are sometimes crippled by TVs if they are the source.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Optical can carry a 7.1 setup. The question is will you be using an Xbox, PS4, 4K bluray player, or any other HDR 4K device in the future? If so then those devices will need to be plugged directly into the OCB and then use ARC or Optical for audio. If you are not using those devices then you can run everything through your receiver and use ARC or optical for audio on the Smart TV apps.

Edit: I'm not completely sure the TV will pass 7.1 channels. It may downgrade them to 5.1 In any case, the only media that has 7.1 channels would be a Bluray. In which case you for sure would want to use HDMI for audio as that is lossless and sounds much better. You would then want to make sure you are running the bluray player directly to the receiver. If you run it to the OCB and then use ARC or Optical for audio you would lose HD audio.
Yes i have the xbox one s and plan on eventually picking up the ps4 pro to use also. Not sure what OCB means , but i am guessing i'd have to run a optical cable from each of them to the receiver ? I did not want to go the hdmi route from the receiver to Tv as i will not be able to get hdr that way. My previous Tv i was using hdmi from each device into the receiver and only 1 hdmi was coming from the tv to receiver. Now i figured id just go optical from tv to receiver so i have no problems but i am hoping 7.1 will still work.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I bought this tv last week. I have my Pioneer receiver plugged up to the ocb. My comcast x1 box, xbox 1, and htpc are connected to the receiver. Then an hdmi goes out to the ocb. After being on with customer support for over an hour last week they rest the tv couple of times and movie mode came up. Now it is back to not showing movie. Only Dynamic and Standard. Also game mode wont show up. I have been on with them for an hour again, and they are saying that the tv decides what mode is best for whatever is connected to the tv. $1500 top of the line 4k tv and you can not tell it what to do. Someone have any ideas???
You'll probably have the same problem with any external HDMI switching device (receiver, switch, video processor, etc.). For the TV's universal remote functions to work, it has to "see" whatever is connected via HDMI and then memorizes that device for that input. By switching inputs externally, you are in effect hotplugging a new device into the OneConnect Box where it has another device memorized and it doesn't read that new EDID. Samsung doesn't give us the option to turn off the universal remote functions, so for now you'll either have to live with it or plug your HDMI devices separately into the box, using it as your HDMI switch.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes i have the xbox one s and plan on eventually picking up the ps4 pro to use also. Not sure what OCB means , but i am guessing i'd have to run a optical cable from each of them to the receiver ? I did not want to go the hdmi route from the receiver to Tv as i will not be able to get hdr that way. My previous Tv i was using hdmi from each device into the receiver and only 1 hdmi was coming from the tv to receiver. Now i figured id just go optical from tv to receiver so i have no problems but i am hoping 7.1 will still work.
OCB is the One Connect Box. Where you plug in the HDMI cables for the TV. What I would do in your case is run HDMI from your devices into the OCB and then run an Optical cable or HDMI cable (plugged into HDMI port 4) from the OCB to the Receiver. Just understand that you will not have HD audio if you go this route. Just DD 5.1 and DTS.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I just got the ks8000 today and hooked it up with Sonos like you mentioned.
I have a Hulu account so I played some content through it (build it app on smart tv) and i DID NOT get surround sound (5.1). Can you direct me to some 'test' I can do to verify that my setup is correct for surround sound ? I have heard that Netflix (built in app) has 5.1 audio ... would this be a good 'test' ??
Hulu Plus streams content at a 720p HD video resolution with stereo audio only (no Dolby Digital 5.1 or better)
Netflix 4K streams mostly with Dolby Digital Plus.

Reactions: King Richard

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
What do you mean by turn HDR off? In the Xbox, or on the TV? On the TV, HDR is only enabled when you feed it HDR content. I don't believe you can manually turn it off or on. Or did you mean the processing feature "HDR+"?

Do you have HDMI UHD Color enabled in your TV settings for the HDMI port in which your Xbox is connected?
You can turn HDR off on the Xbox Settings.

The TV does HDR fine on the PS4 Pro, apps, and on the XBox GAMES. It is only with 4K Blu Rays on XB1 that HDR is completely botched. I would say the Xbox is at fault, but I plugged it into my LG C6 Oled in my room, and HDR is working fine there. It is only on the KS8500 that it is completely washed out, and if you lower brightness to make black levels look proper, the image is incredibly dim and dull. I essentially always have to disable HDR to watch 4K Blu Rays with any sort of quality, though I'm stuck with SDR that way. He bought the XB1 for 4K Blu Ray and HDR, now he's stuck with one of those, because the TV and the XB1 don't play nice.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I bought this tv last week. I have my Pioneer receiver plugged up to the ocb. My comcast x1 box, xbox 1, and htpc are connected to the receiver. Then an hdmi goes out to the ocb. After being on with customer support for over an hour last week they rest the tv couple of times and movie mode came up. Now it is back to not showing movie. Only Dynamic and Standard. Also game mode wont show up. I have been on with them for an hour again, and they are saying that the tv decides what mode is best for whatever is connected to the tv. $1500 top of the line 4k tv and you can not tell it what to do. Someone have any ideas???
Your HTPC is telling the TV that the HDMI port you are using for everything is a PC and is switching to PC mode and disabling movie mode. Change the video card settings to output YCBCR 4:2:0

Edit: You will also have to change HDMI source label to something other than PC.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OCB is the One Connect Box. Where you plug in the HDMI cables for the TV. What I would do in your case is run HDMI from your devices into the OCB and then run an Optical cable or HDMI cable (plugged into HDMI port 4) from the OCB to the Receiver. Just understand that you will not have HD audio if you go this route. Just DD 5.1 and DTS.
Ty i'll give it a try when it arrives , is the ocb a separate box that comes with the ks8000 or is it built into the tv itself ?

·
Banned
425 Posts
You can turn HDR off on the Xbox Settings.

The TV does HDR fine on the PS4 Pro, apps, and on the XBox GAMES. It is only with 4K Blu Rays on XB1 that HDR is completely botched. I would say the Xbox is at fault, but I plugged it into my LG C6 Oled in my room, and HDR is working fine there. It is only on the KS8500 that it is completely washed out, and if you lower brightness to make black levels look proper, the image is incredibly dim and dull. I essentially always have to disable HDR to watch 4K Blu Rays with any sort of quality, though I'm stuck with SDR that way. He bought the XB1 for 4K Blu Ray and HDR, now he's stuck with one of those, because the TV and the XB1 don't play nice.
That seems strange. I don't have an Xbox One S yet, although I am considering getting one. But I haven't heard anyone else having this problem with 4K blu ray discs.

Which movies have you tried?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
is the line going down the middle of the screen an issue or is it normal? Thank you
I barely see something like that on my 65 inch but not my 55 inch when it is Off and I look at an unnaturally extreme angle like your photos. I think it's a physical merging of panel material for a larger screen, but I could be wrong.

Do you see it at typical viewing angles when watching TV? I don't and have forgotten all about it until reading your post.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
That seems strange. I don't have an Xbox One S yet, although I am considering getting one. But I haven't heard anyone else having this problem with 4K blu ray discs.

Which movies have you tried?
Revenant and Expendables 3. ALso tried a couple of regular Blu Rays. Regular Blu Rays, and the 4K Blu Ray in SDR work perfect.

14261 - 14280 of 37263 Posts