AVS Forum banner

14301 - 14320 of 37284 Posts

·
Registered
9,516 Posts
I am about 90% sure that optical can only carry PCM (stereo) from the built in apps. The only way to get 5.1 would be to connect a 3rd party player (roku, ATV, etc) directly into the the sonos with the optical cable. Does any TV actually send 5.1 with the optical cable?

That is the only good thing about ARC, if you can get it working, and newer TVs. While it may not be the lossless kind, you can send 5.1, ATMOS, etc.
You can't send Atmos. Or DTS:X. Just up to 5.1, the formats we had in 1998 when DVD launched.

OCB is the One Connect Box. Where you plug in the HDMI cables for the TV. What I would do in your case is run HDMI from your devices into the OCB and then run an Optical cable or HDMI cable (plugged into HDMI port 4) from the OCB to the Receiver. Just understand that you will not have HD audio if you go this route. Just DD 5.1 and DTS.
Quite.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, I've tried all three. Same deal.

It's not my first rodeo. I spend days/weeks tweaking TVs. I'm pretty much a vet at getting things right, outside of color accuracy which I just find good settings to mess with online. Contrast/brightness, I'm usually dead on with what most of everyone else uses, and that's just by sight.

As I said, if Games on XB1 do HDR right, and apps, SDR, PS4 Pro all do HDR right, but I have JUST the problem with 4K Blu Rays in HDR (NOT SDR), then obviously something is up.

When you go to the dashboard, and it shows the small image of the movies playing, they look perfect. It is as SOON as you go back to fullscreen, that it visually changes in an instant to murky, ugly, garbage.
I remember stumbling across something on Reddit about this - possibly. Not sure if it's the same issue you're having but it's worth a shot:

"It seems like the "Dynamic Range" setting is wrong, but only when playing a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with HDR enabled. If I change the HDMI input "Dynamic Range" from "Auto" to "Limited" in the TV settings, it seems to look like it should, but that's only when playing a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with HDR enabled. It should be noted that when the XB1S input is set to "Limited", that messes up everything else from the XB1S (streaming, games, etc.), making it darker than it should be. So it would have to be changed only while watching a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with HDR enabled from the XB1S."

·
Banned
425 Posts
I remember stumbling across something on Reddit about this - possibly. Not sure if it's the same issue you're having but it's worth a shot:

"It seems like the "Dynamic Range" setting is wrong, but only when playing a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with HDR enabled. If I change the HDMI input "Dynamic Range" from "Auto" to "Limited" in the TV settings, it seems to look like it should, but that's only when playing a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with HDR enabled. It should be noted that when the XB1S input is set to "Limited", that messes up everything else from the XB1S (streaming, games, etc.), making it darker than it should be. So it would have to be changed only while watching a 4K UHD Blu-Ray with HDR enabled from the XB1S."
Interesting find. Which setting are you using for Dynamic Range while watching 4K blu ray in HDR - Auto or Limited?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

Pretty sure I tried all manner of setting variations, but I'll try this next chance I get.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting find. Which setting are you using for Dynamic Range while watching 4K blu ray in HDR - Auto or Limited?
I'm actually not sure. We're holding the Xbox One S back for Christmas but I did open it up to test everything out. I will take a look again tonight though.

Although, after I posted that statement from Reddit, I'm not sure how much sense it made. I'm not sure if the settings that guy was talking about was from the Xbox perspective or the TV. And not even sure what TV he's using.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Pretty sure I tried all manner of setting variations, but I'll try this next chance I get.
I haven't been in this thread as much lately so haven't been following your issue from beginning but thought I'd ask....you have the ECO settings all disabled, right? That can play tricks with the backlight.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Here's another possible fix for the Xbox One S Blu Ray app acting up:

The only movie that I've had that didn't work was my first copy of Stat Trek: Into Darkness that wouldn't play at all. Replaced it at Best Buy for a new copy which worked without any issues.

I have found that the BluRay app can get mad if it doesn't shut down cleanly. I always quit and restart it before loading a movie and that usually addresses it. Every now and again I'll have to restart the Xbox. It especially doesn't like to resume the app if the app was suspended and then the console went into standby. (I think the HDR switching may be a factor as well, but haven't noticed it enough to be sure, I know sometimes the app WONT start HDR and I have to kill it or bounce the Xbox to make it work again).

** Full Disclosure, I am a software developer for Microsoft, however I am in in no way affiliated or involved with the Xbox team (I work on Office 365). All statements I make solely reflect my own views and not those of my employer. **
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=12815969&postcount=852

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had two 65KS8000 units purchased direct from Samsung.com. The first unit had the rear panel and front bezel coming undone. The second unit had dead pixels, wavy frame and back panel coming off. I've ordered a third, but feel like I'm probably going to get more of the same. Does anyone have a 65" that has a straight frame when viewed from above and no dead pixels? I thought about the KS9000, but rather not pay a $400 premium (EPP Pricing) for a better frame since the picture is pretty much indistinguishable.
I ordered my 60 from them (EPP) and it was perfect. I just ordered my brother a 65 and did the white glove delivery service, I hope it doesn't have these issues. The tracking number shows TV 60" Samsung...which is wrong, so im hoping thats just an error.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Has anyone actually opened a ticket with Samsung re: HDR in Game mode not having its own settings, a la Movie and Standard?

Reactions: CarpeNoctem

·
Registered
23 Posts
DirecTV and KS8000

For those of you with KS8000 and DirecTV, I have a 65" on the way with the standard DirecTV HD receiver. From reading some of the posts, it sounds like the majority of you are disappointed with the picture quality, like stepping back SD/HD. Is it really that bad? I don't have plans to upgrade my DirecTV to 4K until it makes sense to do so. I realize it's some channels and not every person on here, but I'm also like some of you who aren't excited about a new TV if most programming comes from DirecTV and PQ gets worse. I want my Walking Dead, sports, and more to be great.

BTW, I have a fantastic Samsung 52" 1080p LCD right now. Eight years old but I wanted something bigger and w better apps.

Thanks all. Great thread!

·
Registered
435 Posts
For those of you with KS8000 and DirecTV, I have a 65" on the way with the standard DirecTV HD receiver. From reading some of the posts, it sounds like the majority of you are disappointed with the picture quality, like stepping back SD/HD. Is it really that bad? I don't have plans to upgrade my DirecTV to 4K until it makes sense to do so. I realize it's some channels and not every person on here, but I'm also like some of you who aren't excited about a new TV if most programming comes from DirecTV and PQ gets worse. I want my Walking Dead, sports, and more to be great.

BTW, I have a fantastic Samsung 52" 1080p LCD right now. Eight years old but I wanted something bigger and w better apps.

I have the 4k Box from DirecTV and that thing always drops audio out. sucks; made me want to downgrade it to the regular HD receiver but yeah seems like both aren't that good. Weird though that regular HD receiver I have in my bedroom (1080p) never has any issues.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've had two 65KS8000 units purchased direct from Samsung.com. The first unit had the rear panel and front bezel coming undone. The second unit had dead pixels, wavy frame and back panel coming off. I've ordered a third, but feel like I'm probably going to get more of the same. Does anyone have a 65" that has a straight frame when viewed from above and no dead pixels? I thought about the KS9000, but rather not pay a $400 premium (EPP Pricing) for a better frame since the picture is pretty much indistinguishable.
My 65ks8000 (purchased from Adorama, thru Newegg) was delivered (after a 100—mile trip, laying flat in the bed of a pickup!) late yesterday afternoon. After reading all the posts relating to various cosmetic problems, I am thrilled that it appears to be perfect!

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

I'm very happy with DirecTV Genie DVR to my KS800D 65 and 55 inchers.

I don't think a majority of users have issues. I think a majority of the people who do have issues post more about them than the people that are happy.

Check that your TV Video output settings from the DVR have 1080p unchecked and Native set to Off for best results. Also, adjust AMP per suggestions in this forum.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So trying to get some potential ideas to try to fix my apparently not working HDMI ARC. It was working before yesterday as I was able to get 5.1 sound out of my TV to my Sony HT-SS730. But after I hooked up my PC with 2 HDMI(1 to TV and one to the Sony receiver) it somehow stops working. I am not getting any sound from the TV to the receiver, stereo or otherwise, and receiver isn't showing any indication that its receiving anything from the TV. I even tried a reset of the TV and it doesn't seem to do anything. I tried the receiver separately with the PC and it is still working.

I've read earlier posts in this thread about somehow HDMI1 with cable setup box there might somehow cause some issue. Not sure why it wasn't doing it before but I might try that. I might also try plugging the cable into the receiver and use the receiver to control non-4K switching. Outside of that though I am out of ideas...
weird, unplug the Xfinity X1 cable box from HDMI 1 to HDMI 3, delete what was at the HDMI 1 and relearn what is at HDMI 3, and now my receiver works properly....:confused:

Not gonna jinx it...it works now...lol

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
A new app "TV Plus" appeared today. It installed and moved itself to first place in line without asking me. Looks like a better gui for fandango, but it can do dts.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My 65ks8000 (purchased from Adorama, thru Newegg) was delivered (after a 100—mile trip, laying flat in the bed of a pickup!) late yesterday afternoon. After reading all the posts relating to various cosmetic problems, I am thrilled that it appears to be perfect!
Bought mine directly at Best Buy store. Took it home myself and it was in perfect condition. Never really trust anything being shipped. That's just me.

14301 - 14320 of 37284 Posts