AVS Forum banner

5201 - 5220 of 6316 Posts

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Joining the club tonight... BB had a deal for the 40" 7000, 6900 BR player, 3D started pack and the wireless USB dongle for the TV...

It really was too good to pass up... for a bakers dozen in c notes, I couldn't resist...

I'm sure it will be an upgrade to my 4 year old 40" Sony fluorescent back lit, 60Hz 1080p LCD... and this whole package cost me about half of what I paid just for the set back then....

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnicognate /forum/post/19704206

Try a backlight of 10/11 and a brightness of 42/43.

As long as you have all the other bits set up right, like the dark settings and smart led, this will be plenty bright enough even in a very bright room. It will also make any flash lighting go away.

Just want to confirm that with certain settings the flashlight problem will go away? My 55" has it in all 4 corners. Samsung changed the display twice with no luck and I gave up. Was there also a post stating that you could wipe or rub it away using a cloth on the screen applying firm pressure? Either way, very disappointed and knew I should have stayed with plasma.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corona91719
Just want to confirm that with certain settings the flashlight problem will go away? My 55" has it in all 4 corners. Samsung changed the display twice with no luck and I gave up. Was there also a post stating that you could wipe or rub it away using a cloth on the screen applying firm pressure? Either way, very disappointed and knew I should have stayed with plasma.
I don't have any flashlighting on mine, but it's a 46 not a 55. It may be that it's more evident on the 55. There are posts about loosening the screws to reduce the problem but frankly I'm not convinced that having spent several thousands of ones local currency on a tv any kind of DIY should be necessary. Personally I'm not a fan of plasmas but if you can't get the tv to do what you want then I guess you need to go for what you are happy with.

There are definately compromises with these sets to get them so ultra slim but I'm pretty happy with mine these days.

Has anyone else out there got a 55C8000 and can confirm they have no flashlighting?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnicognate /forum/post/19718839

Has anyone else out there got a 55C8000 and can confirm they have no flashlighting?

I purchased my 55C8000 at BB Dec 20, 2010 and have not seen these effects. When the screen goes black with just a white text title in the center, the screen is uniformly deep black.

The only issue I had with the TV was the "soap opera" effect (sorry, don't know the technical name). After reading this forum I changed settings to:

Auto Motion Plus (AMP) : Off

LED Motion Plus: Off

Now I have a smooth cinema motion on all sources.

My only minor gripe is the screen is very reflective. May need to add drapes over our window blinds to completely block the light hitting the screen. I'll see after I get the wall mount installed with the screen tilted down a little.

Ed

·
Registered
8,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/18221868

We have the Samsung UN46C7000 with no 3D glasses.

Just a question/comment...

Just got my 40" 7000..

The box is the same except for one weird thing..

Where this box say "Allshare" mine has a logo that says Clear 720 Motion Rate" (the Allshare logo is on the right of that...)

And mine has no ToC logo...

·
Registered
7 Posts
We recently purcahsed a new UN55C8000 and are having an intermittent "blinking" issue that occurs while watching cable TV or Blu-ray. The screen will go black for 2-3 seconds, then the picture will reappear. During that time, audio is still present.

I see that this issue was mentioned earlier in this thread. Are there any other fixes other than exchanging the TV for another one (e.g., firmware update)?

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myelin /forum/post/19720881

We recently purcahsed a new UN55C8000 and are having an intermittent "blinking" issue that occurs while watching cable TV or Blu-ray. The screen will go black for 2-3 seconds, then the picture will reappear. During that time, audio is still present.

I see that this issue was mentioned earlier in this thread. Are there any other fixes other than exchanging the TV for another one (e.g., firmware update)?

It's an issue that, understandably, gets moaned about quit a lot on this and other forums. So far there seems to be no fix for it. The only advice I can offer is, as someone else recommended, video your tv (assuming you have or can borrow a camera ) so that you can actually show an engineer the problem when he turns up. Otherwise you can guarantee that he'll sit there for 20 mins and the tv will behave perfectly.

Sorry, I appreciate that really doesn't help much. From experience though, I can confirm that for all their fault Samsung don't seem to argue much about swapping out large chunks of your set or the whole thing if necessary.

The only one technical thing I could recommend is to try swapping your main input source to a different input on the tv I.e. If you mainly watch satellite tv connected throu hdmi port 1, try swapping it to hdmi port 3 and see if it still blinks as much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good idea, Omni. We have the warranty plan from BB, so perhaps that along with video evidence will prompt them to replace the TV outright.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwsc11
Talked to Samsung support this morning.

Unplugging the TV from the wall outlet and plugging it back in after a minute fixed the issue.

I will have to wait and see if it happens again in the future. Doesn't make me feel good that it happened at all. I don't want to be unplugging the TV all the time to do a reset.

If anybody has seen this before, let me know.
Well, the repair guy came out today and fixed my TV. I watched what he was doing. He opened up the set. Unscrewed the three PCA boards, and replaced the whole display. Put the PCA boards back in and we fired up the TV, and it worked. That's the good news.

The bad news is that after he left I watched TV for 10min. and it failed again. Same symptoms as before. I have sound, but the picture is all messed up. All I get are the weired horizontal lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yja5gwfLR4

I am now talking to Samsung to see if I can just exchange the whole set.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cam someone explained to me what 'Game Mode' does exactly? Been messing around with it on my 360.

I know it changes some of the audio settings. I would like to know what video settings change.

Model - un46c6300

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Had someone tried GT5 in 3D in a C7000 series? which GT5 3D settings did you have: "parallax, convergence"... any idea?; game mode "On" is fine for 3d gaming with a PS3?

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bought a UN40C7000 (along with the Shrek Starter Pack and a 3D Blu-ray player) from Amazon tonight (might return it for a 8000 series though).

Looked over the thread and tried search but can't find a answer to this question, but if it has been answered I apologize.

Looked on Samsung.com and looked at the manual and saw that the screws for the wallmount need to be M8. Ok, but what length do they need to be?? I would rather buy them ahead tomorrow and not have to go out once the TV shows up.

Thanks in advance, and again I apologize if it has been answered.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion25 /forum/post/19724895

Hi all,

Had someone tried GT5 in 3D in a C7000 series? which GT5 3D settings did you have: "parallax, convergence"... any idea?; game mode "On" is fine for 3d gaming with a PS3?

Thanks

Played it on a 46C8000 and must say it's simply stunning. I put the 3d optimisation ( can't remember the exact GT5 name for it ) to 5. Tried it at 10 but to much crosstalk. I've left the convergence at 0 for now. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what it does.....

Just as a point of note, have you set the ps3 up as an anynet device? It then automatically selects that input when you turn it on and will turn off if you turn the tv off. It also comes up on your inpu listing as "playstation 3" rather than just "game". I wish my sky box would work that well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I have the 55" C8000 and noticed that every 20 to 30 power on cycles, the the tv will not turn on. I have to unplug the tv to reset it and plug it back in and the tv will power on normally. The tv is only 2 months old.

Has anyone else noticed this same issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
With the new fw what are you guys using for 3d settings. I find that optimization of -1 is the best with me having to adjust the 3d view point each time I play a video

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello! I am trying to decide between the UN55C8000 and the PN58C8000 and wanted to get some input from owners here. I think I might be leaning toward the LED because I am afraid of image retention issues (I've never owned a plasma before), but I downloaded the owners manual for the LED and it has a warning about image retention as well--is this a valid concern, or more Samsung protecting themselves? I do play a fair amount of games. Also, how is the lag or response time on this TV, especially when compared to a plasma? I know there is a game mode that is supposed to help, but how much does it compromise the picture? The owners manual states that you may notice some picture degredation.

In Cnet's initial review of the LED tv, I believe they stated that they couldn't get it to properly handle 1080p24 content correctly--has this been fixed via firmware update?

How much more crosstalk do you get on the LED vs the plasma?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really value the input from owners and experts on this forum! Plus, this thread is so long it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for.

·
Registered
276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova /forum/post/19726225

Hello! I am trying to decide between the UN55C8000 and the PN58C8000 and wanted to get some input from owners here. I think I might be leaning toward the LED because I am afraid of image retention issues (I've never owned a plasma before), but I downloaded the owners manual for the LED and it has a warning about image retention as well--is this a valid concern, or more Samsung protecting themselves? I do play a fair amount of games. Also, how is the lag or response time on this TV, especially when compared to a plasma? I know there is a game mode that is supposed to help, but how much does it compromise the picture? The owners manual states that you may notice some picture degredation.

In Cnet's initial review of the LED tv, I believe they stated that they couldn't get it to properly handle 1080p24 content correctly--has this been fixed via firmware update?

How much more crosstalk do you get on the LED vs the plasma?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really value the input from owners and experts on this forum! Plus, this thread is so long it's hard to find exactly what you're looking for.

That IS a lot of questions

No worries, these things aren't cheap so it helps to ask around. I'll start by admitting that I am not entirely impartial. Personally I don like plasmas. I think the pictures are dull,the sets are to big and that plasma is old tech and won't be around much longer. I know there are lots of people who will disagree with that but I suspect a large number of them will be plasma owners. As you've probably guessed I have an LED C8000.

As I type my son is using it to play need for speed on a PS3 and I am not aware of any lag at all. This is playing in normal mode, not game mode. He also has GT5 and frankly I don't see how the picture can get much better. No lag, amazing pictures.

Not sure where this issue about 1080p 24 came from but it's completely untrue. As long as you have a blu ray player that outputs 24fps the tv will handle it fine. I've never had a problem and the display setting confirms it's running 1080p, 24fps.

Image retention is also not an issue on led tv's unless you want to leave the same image up for about 3 years.

Crosstalk is a contentious issue. All tv's have it but, as I have said before, it is very movie specific. Some have loads, some have none. GT5 in 3D has quite a bit if you get the settings wrong. You can set these in the tv and in the game. Get the combo right and it's superb.

Personally I think the led tv gives a bright, vibrant picture that plasmas can't match. The blacks are also superb and I would find it hard to see that a plasma could be any better. I have, however, never owned a plasma so these comments are based on what I have seen in stores and we all know how badly these can be set up so my views are probably unfair.

If you are into games, you must try a 55C800 and GT5 in 3D if you get a chance, it wll blow your socks off.

Hope some of that helped.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnicognate /forum/post/0

Just as a point of note, have you set the ps3 up as an anynet device? It then automatically selects that input when you turn it on and will turn off if you turn the tv off. It also comes up on your inpu listing as "playstation 3" rather than just "game". I wish my sky box would work that well

how do you do this? i tried going into the anynet setup but it doesn't detect my PS3.

5201 - 5220 of 6316 Posts