AVS Forum banner

12561 - 12580 of 19658 Posts

·
Registered
4,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkninja67 /forum/post/12212977

I think Frys is safe seeing how the Big River is comparable in the ratings and everyone here seems to have little issues with them.

Everyone except one in the 71's owners thread because he was pissed big time with amazon and Eagle.

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekro /forum/post/12207604

Hello all,

I very recently purchased the Philips 42PFL7422D from Costco, and for the most part have been very happy.

My Philips set has pretty bad clouding/flashlight issues. It bothers me most when I am watching DVDs that have the letterboxes present, as the light seeps in through the corners, or when while gaming on a really dark screen like on Gears of War, as there is also clouding going on towards the center of the screen.

Can any of you guys that own the Sammys chime in, as any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had a Vizio 52" LCD from Costco and the backlight leakage was horrid. The uniformity was very very bad as well, some call it clouding - call it what you will, it was bad. I am going to return the Vizio back to Costco (just have to load it in the car) and keep the Samsung LNT5265F I got from the rainforest place. It is the same price since it was free shipping and no tax. No brainer!

Cheers and good luck on your decision

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had my 4665 for just about a week today and last night I had 2 sound dropouts where the channel 5 OTA program lost audio for about 30 seconds.

my sony which was tuned to the same channel 5 OTA progarm at the same time did NOT lose any sound. is this happening with anyone elses 65 series??

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've read through this thread regarding the HDMI Handshake/Dropout issues and was curious if anyone has experienced this with a 4061F that has the following board/software/firmware version:

MODULE: T-TULPAUSC-1007, DATE:

MICOM: T-TULPAUSS-1011,

ACL: T-TUPAUSG-1005

KERNEL:

According the serial numbers of "P9" this should be a Sept 2007 build date.

What I am experiencing are very fast flashing rows of green (and possibly white) pixels....band may cover the whole width of the screen for a row or two or not. Flashes very quickly and occurs quite INFREQUENTLY.

This is watching via a TW HD Cable box and will occur on signals less than 1080p (as well as 1080i).

I also have an upconverting DVD player on the second HDMI port (haven't noticed it here, but have been watching CABLE more than DVDs right now). Plus this is quite infrequent in it's occurrence.

I may try switching the cables (different cable seemed to solve the issue for one poster out here) or maybe it's the weight of the cables (have to try port-savers then).

Just wanted to ask out here why I'm testing it out since it's not occurring all the time and if it is an issue with the set (maybe not even an HDMI Handshake effect) I still have some time to return it for an exchange.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo_Proxy /forum/post/12214690

I've read through this thread regarding the HDMI Handshake/Dropout issues and was curious if anyone has experienced this with a 4061F that has the following board/software/firmware version:

KERNEL:

What I am experiencing are very fast flashing rows of green (and possibly white) pixels....band may cover the whole width of the screen for a row or two or not. Flashes very quickly and occurs quite INFREQUENTLY.

This is watching via a TW HD Cable box and will occur on signals less than 1080p (as well as 1080i).

I also have an upconverting DVD player on the second HDMI port (haven't noticed it here, but have been watching CABLE more than DVDs right now). Plus this is quite infrequent in it's occurrence.

I may try switching the cables (different cable seemed to solve the issue for one poster out here) or maybe it's the weight of the cables (have to try port-savers then).

Just wanted to ask out here why I'm testing it out since it's not occurring all the time and if it is an issue with the set (maybe not even an HDMI Handshake effect) I still have some time to return it for an exchange.

Anyone else see this?

Thanks

I've had my 4061 (P9) for a little over a month now and its been fine. I haven't seen anything like you have described.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob /forum/post/12215357

I've had my 4061 (P9) for a little over a month now and its been fine. I haven't seen anything like you have described.

Thanks....

I'm thinking it may be the connection, possibly the cable and will test out another one....I DO have until the beginning of next month for a return so I have some time.

Just wanted to ask around a bit since this was a replacement for a JCV 42X688 that I had (and liked) for about a week and the picture started to get vertical lines of pixels/wide color bands then the screen would start flashing colors all over (quite rapidly too) but that was on ALL input signals (Cable box over HDMI and DVD over Component)....CC no longer stocked that on in-store and not wanting to wait for delivery, possibly from the manufacturer, I went with the slightly smaller samsung....

Thing I personally liked about JVCs design (that some don't) was the downward facing HDMI ports...much less stress on them from the weight of the cable.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo_Proxy /forum/post/12214690

KERNEL:

Anyone else see this?

Thanks

If the rows of white/green appear near the top of the picture, you may be seeing the closed caption data. Try changing the P-Size to 16:9 and see if this goes away.

If you see this on DVD's/HD-DVD's/BR's, or if you see this with HDMI, or if the rows are at the middle of the screen instead of the top, then the problem is not closed-caption data.

It could be a very bad HDMI cable also, if that's the connection you are using.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting my new 4661 today!!! But, I have a quick question... if I go through and make all the calibrations and then unplug it (as I may have to move it shortly) will all the settings disappear???

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy111 /forum/post/12216099

I'm getting my new 4661 today!!! But, I have a quick question... if I go through and make all the calibrations and then unplug it (as I may have to move it shortly) will all the settings disappear???

No, the settings are in flash memory.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a Pioneer DV-575A hooked up via component 1 and the PQ was unwatchable. It's set to 1080P. I am using settings from "Post 1500".

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsg /forum/post/12212425

I ordered the 4665f sunday, and was told they would be getting more in today. Just got an email today from frys saying they do not know when they will be getting more in (this was after I called yesterday and was told they would be getting a new stock on 11/18. Im thinking about cancelling but no one can touch the price. Also not in a big hurry for the tv, so I guess I can wait

Their web site says they're in stock today.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Wolf /forum/post/12217708

I have a Pioneer DV-575A hooked up via component 1 and the PQ was unwatchable. It's set to 1080P. I am using settings from "Post 1500".

Anyone else have this problem?

Something is not right. The Pioneer DV-575A does not upconvert, and no player upconverts via components. So nothing is at 1080p.

You need to play with output formats on your Pioneer DVD player to make sure it is doing the right thing.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clau /forum/post/12215836

If the rows of white/green appear near the top of the picture, you may be seeing the closed caption data. Try changing the P-Size to 16:9 and see if this goes away.

If you see this on DVD's/HD-DVD's/BR's, or if you see this with HDMI, or if the rows are at the middle of the screen instead of the top, then the problem is not closed-caption data.

It could be a very bad HDMI cable also, if that's the connection you are using.

Thanks Clau....I have another cable I can switch out off the DVD player (temporarily) and have one on order from monoprice.

It's not the CC info...I see that in Just Scan mode in the upper LHS of the picture as a small green line or a dashed-dotted line along the top when it doesn't fill the screen. That was expected.

These fast flashing pixels are near the bottom 1/3 of the picture from an HDMI connection.

If it occurs with the new cable (and then the port savers installed) I'll just exchange the unit (since it was bought at CC and I have until next month to do the exchange). If it is the set, at least this occurred early on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For anyone that has ordered online and had the set shipped to them, how many dead pixels did you have?

Also how many dead pixels does it take for samsung to do a warranty exchange?

·
Registered
947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderboy111 /forum/post/12176018

Which Belkin PureAV do you have??? Not sure if I need a power conditioner or just a good surge protector.

I personally would start with a good surge protector. However, in the past I've had problems with ground loops. Also, since I have a PC in this mix, I have a UPS and power conditioner. The power conditioner is an earlier version of the "Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF30". The UPS is an earlier version of the "Belkin PureAV Home Theater Battery Backup with AVR Technology".

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo_Proxy /forum/post/12217901

Thanks Clau....I have another cable I can switch out off the DVD player (temporarily) and have one on order from monoprice.

It's not the CC info...I see that in Just Scan mode in the upper LHS of the picture as a small green line or a dashed-dotted line along the top when it doesn't fill the screen. That was expected.

These fast flashing pixels are near the bottom 1/3 of the picture from an HDMI connection.

If it occurs with the new cable (and then the port savers installed) I'll just exchange the unit (since it was bought at CC and I have until next month to do the exchange). If it is the set, at least this occurred early on.

If the flashes always occur at the same place, it's probably not the cable.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECdaze /forum/post/12218254

I personally would start with a good surge protector. However, in the past I've had problems with ground loops. Also, since I have a PC in this mix, I have a UPS and power conditioner. The power conditioner is an earlier version of the "Belkin PureAV Home Theater Power Console PF30". The UPS is an earlier version of the "Belkin PureAV Home Theater Battery Backup with AVR Technology".

Ground loop problems can be solved without any power center or power console. A significant percentage of ground loop problems is caused by the cable box not being well grounded to the house ground.

For the price of some of these "power centers", you can run a dedicated circuit from the electric panel to the HT location. Guess which is more effective.

12561 - 12580 of 19658 Posts