AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 2352 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice, I saw it at best buy, and it looked very similiar to the A650, but the blacks were clearly better.

How is the AMP function? Does it work better now?

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevega44 /forum/post/16087767

How is the AMP function? Does it work better now?

That's what I want to know. I know the PQ is gunna be outstand, even if it has the same PQ of 2008. Is AMP any better though?

·
Registered
7 Posts
No point in the "XX" in the thread title if you put the size in there anyway haah, take out the 46 part my friend.

I work at BestBuy out in NewYork and the new 650 seems to have a nice picture on dynamic/vivid mode in the store, but of course thats no test to how it will hold up at home in standard mode or while calibrated. I would like to see it ISF calibrated first to really compair...The new 650 has an ugly V shape bottom to it, it looks kinda goofy in my opinion. I have the a650 and I love it, id say pick that up for the cheeper price tag if you still can whether than paying 2x for the B model...That is unless you wana goto the Luxia [led backlit] models..those are sexyyy

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVW /forum/post/16088281

That's what I want to know. I know the PQ is gunna be outstand, even if it has the same PQ of 2008. Is AMP any better though?

What was wrong with the AMP on the A650? Mine had no problems with it at all.

·
Registered
133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r /forum/post/16087951

Awesome! Are you able to some input lag testing with it? Specifically while in Game Mode?

http://tft.vanity.dk/

Oh yeah, any flash-lights?

Tons....I bought a 46 B650 and kept it for a couple of hours till it got dark and I could test it.Great picture till the Clouds roll in all over the place and flashlights on all 4 corners. Plus the new wiggelets suck. Very slow. I was hoping you could watch internet video like sonys internetlink. No such luck.

I took it back that day and got another XBR6. Thats a great set. No defects or worries.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Shouldn't this just be the B650 thread? Anyways, I'll be getting my set Tuesday now, after some shipping problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just picked up the LN-40B650. I had a LN40A750 (Which I am giving to my sister). I'll give you my honest opinion right after I get it calibrated tomorrow. I am also getting my Pioneer Elite 111fd Calibrated as well, so I hope there is no Plasma vs. LCD war in here. I'll post the results here for the LCD after calibration. I have not had a chance to mess around with the settings, but so far, no halo effect (which I had like crazy on the A750!). However, the viewing angle is still horrible
Just a few degrees off from center and it starts to get washed out. Ah well.. Also, I noticed that the black levels are a little better than the A series. To be continued......

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r /forum/post/16088512

There is nothing wrong with auto motion plus on your TV but keep in mind AMP was improved on the 2008 A650 series over the 2007 71F series....

The B series of 120/240Hz sammies are supposed to have 4 AMP settings instead of just 3 and setting #4 is supposedly a custom(izable) setting.....naturally, there is mucho excitement and curiosity concerning this fact

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r /forum/post/16088512

I see tons of artifacting (halo, triple ball, etc) which is just errors in it's frame interpolation method. I dunno why but more so than general PQ, my eye catches this stuff and it bothers me to no end. It's getting better every year and this will be samsung's 3rd generation of doing frame interpolation and I'm hoping they've cleaned it up even more...

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee /forum/post/16089531

There is nothing wrong with auto motion plus on your TV but keep in mind AMP was improved on the 2008 A650 series over the 2007 71F series....

The B series of 120/240Hz sammies are supposed to have 4 AMP settings instead of just 3 and setting #4 is supposedly a custom(izable) setting.....naturally, there is mucho excitement and curiosity concerning this fact

Yes, there is a custom AMP setting where you can adjust both the level of motion blur and judder reduction. You adjust on a sliding scale from 0-10.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 /forum/post/16088880

Tons....I bought a 46 B650 and kept it for a couple of hours till it got dark and I could test it.Great picture till the Clouds roll in all over the place and flashlights on all 4 corners. Plus the new wiggelets suck. Very slow. I was hoping you could watch internet video like sonys internetlink. No such luck.

I took it back that day and got another XBR6. Thats a great set. No defects or worries.

Thanks. The flashlights & clouding was the exact reason why I returned my 46A650. Guess I'm still stuck with my old 27" tube crt until the Vizio 551 comes out. That is, if the Vizio even gets good ratings.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful /forum/post/16089008

Shouldn't this just be the B650 thread? Anyways, I'll be getting my set Tuesday now, after some shipping problems.

Well, it should be the LNXXB650 thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all...

Just got my LN-40B650 as well as my LN40A750 calibrated by Kevin Miller (Who was great, BTW). Initial impressions...

LN40B650 color temps were way too high out of the box. The readings were all around 11K and Kevin had to adjust them down to 6500. Comparing the post calibrated TVs, the B650 had better black levels, less clouding and blooming than the A750 (not by much though). Also, the B650 had no halo effect (around the outer rims of the tv). On the A750, it was horrible!! Picture quality on the B650 was a little better, probably due to the higher contrast ratio. Motion wise, both were about the same, and they both still suffer from the LCD viewing angle problem. Cosmetically, I hate the fact that the B650 has the "chin" again. The A750 looks better in my opinion. Also, the speakers are still better on the A750.

Conclusion,

The B650 is a great TV. However, is it worth the extra $$ over the A750? I'm not too sure. Picture-wise, they are pretty similar, but if better black levels and slightly better PQ are important to you, then get the B650. Otherwise, stay with the A series until you can get something considerably better.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the B650. I'll be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drool6 /forum/post/16104781

Hi all...

Just got my LN-40B650 as well as my LN40A750 calibrated by Kevin Miller (Who was great, BTW). Initial impressions...

LN40B650 color temps were way too high out of the box. The readings were all around 11K and Kevin had to adjust them down to 6500. Comparing the post calibrated TVs, the B650 had better black levels, less clouding and blooming than the A750 (not by much though). Also, the B650 had no halo effect (around the outer rims of the tv). On the A750, it was horrible!! Picture quality on the B650 was a little better, probably due to the higher contrast ratio. Motion wise, both were about the same, and they both still suffer from the LCD viewing angle problem. Cosmetically, I hate the fact that the B650 has the "chin" again. The A750 looks better in my opinion. Also, the speakers are still better on the A750.

Conclusion,

The B650 is a great TV. However, is it worth the extra $$ over the A750? I'm not too sure. Picture-wise, they are pretty similar, but if better black levels and slightly better PQ are important to you, then get the B650. Otherwise, stay with the A series until you can get something considerably better.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the B650. I'll be happy to answer them.

Amount of flash-lighting on your B650?

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drool6 /forum/post/16104781

Hi all...

Conclusion,

Could you post some pics of your set? Im curious of the off angle wash out.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvidiot /forum/post/16105110

Could you post some pics of your set? Im curious of the off angle wash out.

Off angle washout is still as bad as my A750, unfortunately....

·
Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34dl1n3r /forum/post/16104990

Amount of flash-lighting on your B650?

I'll have to look at that one more carefully, but inital impressions are that they seem to suffer the same amount as the A series... i'll confirm once I get the proper test source material....

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff909 /forum/post/16088880

Why didn't you bring it back and try a different set?? Maybe it was a bad one...

Does the KDL-46XBR6 have internet linking like the B650??

Also how is the off angle viewing compare between the two??

Is there as much control over Motion settings with the XBR6??(the B650 has a AMP Slider control in increments 1-10)

Come one Jeff you had the two in your house, give us some details lol

1 - 20 of 2352 Posts