AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 6257 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems time to start a thread dedicated to the 2010 Samsung C6xx series CCFL LCD TVs.


I've just gotten my LN40C630 panel today. So far pretty good.


Seems the C630 has a semi-matte panel, as opposed to the Ultra Clear Panel of the C650.


Off-angle viewing is decent, but not perfect. Black levels are decent. Overall the picture seems crisp with plenty of pop.


Here are some pics to get us started. Sorry for the poor image compression. I guess imgur isn't the best sharing service.


Slimmed down box:


Some OTA and Ratatouille on Blu-ray


Remote:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread! Looking forward to hearing others impressions and I'll be giving mine as well in a few weeks. I ordered my LN46C630 last night from Amazon and I should have it in about a week and a half.


Congrats on your new TV, Looks beautiful in those off screen pics!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 /forum/post/18302195


What do you have attached cable or sat.,?

That was comcast coax directly in without a set top box. I just picked up an HD DVR from comcast, though. Here are a few shots of Watchmen on HBO.


This shot was taken from 2 feet away, you can see some light bleed on the corners. This is not visible from a normal viewing distance of 4-6 feet:




This second shot is the same still taken from about 6 feet away with the camera zoomed in. The bleed/flashlighting from the previous pic is much less noticeable, and it's even less noticeable to my eyes. I can't tell what set'll look like in a dark room, but I'll know in a few hours.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,470 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I have a Samsung 32a550. I am looking to upgrade to either a Sony ex500 or the Samsung 630/650. Can you tell me if the screen fit mode has any cut off if you are switching between hd channels like sci fi, espn, and then watch the non hd channels like normal abc,cbs or even the standard sci fi channel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 /forum/post/18302441


Thanks for the pictures. I have a Samsung 32a550. I am looking to upgrade to either a Sony ex500 or the Samsung 630/650. Can you tell me if the screen fit mode has any cut off if you are switching between hd channels like sci fi, espn, and then watch the non hd channels like normal abc,cbs or even the standard sci fi channel?

There's a picture size mode that doesn't crop the picture at all, if that's what you're asking about. I'm using the standard 16:9 mode, which does have a little bit of overscan, which I'm just used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I was about to pull the trigger on a B630 today, when I saw that the C630 is out... so I'm once again considering my options. The increase in contrast would be nice, the set is going in a sunny room.


(I want to post a link, so this is my third post... please ignore)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell /forum/post/18302587


the C650 has a refresh rate of 120 Hz, right?


looking at page 57 of the manual ( http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...01Eng-0212.pdf ), it reads:




Hopefully this doesn't mean what I think it means... everywhere else online states 120 Hz. Hopefully I'm mis-understanding, mis-reading, or it's an error in the manual.

From page 19:


"Auto Motion Plus 120Hz (Off / Clear / Standard /

Smooth / Custom / Demo): Removes drag from fast

scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clearer

picture.

✎✎ If noise occurs on the screen, please set the

Auto Motion Plus 120Hz to Off. If Auto Motion

Plus 120Hz is Custom, you can set up the

Blur Reduction, Judder Reduction or Reset

manually.

✎✎ If Auto Motion Plus 120Hz is Demo, you can

compare the difference between on and off

modes.

Blur Reduction: Adjusts the blur reduction level from

video sources.

Judder Reduction: Adjusts the judder reduction level

from video sources when playing films.

Reset: Reset the custom settings.

■■ Auto Protection Time (2 hours / 4 hours /"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Here's something strange. Does the stand of the c630 have a red "touch of color" going though it? The C630's are supposed to be grey, but the online pictures show the stand as having a distinct red bar going through it...see below....



I think it's not there. Can anyone who owns one of these chime in to verify that the stand is in fact all black and not red?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle /forum/post/18302875


Here's something strange. Does the stand of the c630 have a red "touch of color" going though it? The C630's are supposed to be grey, but the online pictures show the stand as having a distinct red bar going through it...see below....



I think it's not there. Can anyone who owns one of these chime in to verify that the stand is in fact all black and not red?

Just checked - LN40C630 - the stand is all black. I even shined a flashlight on it to make sure. It's a really minimalistic looking tv, which is nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle /forum/post/18302875


Here's something strange. Does the stand of the c630 have a red "touch of color" going though it? The C630's are supposed to be grey, but the online pictures show the stand as having a distinct red bar going through it...see below....



I think it's not there. Can anyone who owns one of these chime in to verify that the stand is in fact all black and not red?

I have the 46C630, and there is no red in the base.


However, when I got it, the part of the base you slide the TV in was crooked. I had to unscrew the whole thing and straighten it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beancroc /forum/post/18302984


I have the 46C630, and there is no red in the base.


However, when I got it, the part of the base you slide the TV in was crooked. I had to unscrew the whole thing and straighten it out.

What are your thoughts on the 46C630? Care to share any impressions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
anyone have the c650 yet? feel free to post your experience lol returned the 46b750 and looking at the 46c650. also, anyone know if these new models still have the auto dimming in dark scenes that CAN-NOT be turned off? Really looking to get the c650
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
jars,


looks like you are going to be bombarded with questions since you started the thread



TV looks great though. Thanks for the pictures. The PQ on Blu Ray and even HD looks great.


Which blu ray player do you have?


I agree with the poster who says the remote doesnt look as nice as last years. I am returning a B610 for one of these and the remote was nice on it. Not that its a big deal really. A remote shouldnt factor into the decision for a TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendermd /forum/post/18302653


From page 19:


"Auto Motion Plus 120Hz (Off / Clear / Standard /

Smooth / Custom / Demo): Removes drag from fast

scenes with a lot of movement to provide a clearer

picture.

✎✎ If noise occurs on the screen, please set the

Auto Motion Plus 120Hz to Off. If Auto Motion

Plus 120Hz is Custom, you can set up the

Blur Reduction, Judder Reduction or Reset

manually.

✎✎ If Auto Motion Plus 120Hz is Demo, you can

compare the difference between on and off

modes.

Blur Reduction: Adjusts the blur reduction level from

video sources.

Judder Reduction: Adjusts the judder reduction level

from video sources when playing films.

Reset: Reset the custom settings.

■■ Auto Protection Time (2 hours / 4 hours /"

That's what I've read everywhere else... then how does one explain the 60 Hz on page 57? I'm hoping it's a typo or something out of date.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
The pricing on the C630 & C650 is really perplexing me. How can the newer model, with slightly better specs, be cheaper than last year's model?


Possibilities:

- Samsung has lowered its costs to make this model (panel?)

- There is a quality issue with the C-line that justifies them being cheaper than the B line (again, panel?)

- LCD, as a market, is on its way out and Samsung is taking its last shot while it can (which is about to be taken over by LED, OLED, etc... could these be much cheaper in the near future?). Should this be the case, don't expect a D version...

- These models are new, so Samsung has discounted the initial deliveries to create buzz (unlikely)

- Samsung has to get rid of inventory (unlikely since they're new, but not impossible) - the company needs cash, it believes that demand will be low, etc.


Thoughts? Other explanations?


As mentioned previously, I'm really tempted by the C630. Going to test one in a store this weekend, if I can find a place that has them.
 
1 - 20 of 6257 Posts
Top