AVS Forum banner

3881 - 3900 of 6256 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
After MUCH research, I'm thinking very seriously about the C630 but I'm concerned about the panel lottery.

1. Is there a general consensus as to which panel is the better of the two? If so, which one is better and why?

2. If I buy from a B&M store, is there a way of knowing which panel is in the TV BEFORE taking it home? In otherwords, is there something on the OUTSIDE of the box that designates which panel was used? I can't imagine a store letting you open boxes until you find the right panel.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 69
After MUCH research, I'm thinking very seriously about the C630 but I'm concerned about the panel lottery.

1. Is there a general consensus as to which panel is the better of the two? If so, which one is better and why?

2. If I buy from a B&M store, is there a way of knowing which panel is in the TV BEFORE taking it home? In otherwords, is there something on the OUTSIDE of the box that designates which panel was used? I can't imagine a store letting you open boxes until you find the right panel.
Yes, the panel number is listed on the big white sticker that has the model number on it, in the bottom lefthand corner of the sticker... it doesn't say 'version', but underneath a barcode, it'll say AA01, SQ01, etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 69
Thank you very much Hollis. Am I correct in thinking that I want the SQ panel?
Beats me. Some people say the SQ panels were more prone to bleeding/banding/flashlighting, but have better off-angle viewing and black levels, while other say that the A panels are sharper and give a better sweet-spot image and are more uniform, but are a little weaker in other areas. Personally, I'd like to have both an S and A panel side by side in my home to compare. I wonder if even then I'd be able to tell a difference.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I posted this in the calibration forum but it is probably better here. I got the LN46C630 AA06 TV about a week ago and I have a few questions/comments:

I am still trying to adjust the settings, and I am using the disc I burned from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19419370 but I do have a few questions.

So far I have just been using this to watch HD TV. I have not had a chance to play any blu rays for an extended period of time. Here are my questions/comments.

The left 1/3 or so of the TV seems brighter in dark scenes. It also looks like detail is lost there. People's hair specifically looks smudgy/blotchy. I am not very far from the center of the TV.

The picture seems jumpy/jittery sometimes. I am not sure what the difference between smooth, clear and standard are, on Auto Motion Plus, so I am having a hard time deciding on which if any are ideal. I still see blocking/artifacts (not sure what it is called) sometimes when there is movement, normally when the scene is up-close. The manufacture says No Blur, maybe I don't know what that is, because I seem to see blur.

When I used the calibration disc I tried it on Movie and Standard. For the blue screen color on movie I had to increase the color to 51, but on Standard I had to decrease the color to 35. Is this normal when they both started at 50?

Should I set the screen size to Screen Fit instead of 16:9? It looks like Screen Fit displays more picture. I tried this on the calibration disc and on a Disney blu ray TV setup.

The manual is not very helpful in describing what Film Mode and the Auto Motion Plus settings actually do, or why you would want one over the other.

Any advice would be appreicated.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 /forum/post/19441822

I posted this in the calibration forum but it is probably better here. I got the LN46C630 AA06 TV about a week ago and I have a few questions/comments:

I am still trying to adjust the settings, and I am using the disc I burned from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19419370 but I do have a few questions.

So far I have just been using this to watch HD TV. I have not had a chance to play any blu rays for an extended period of time. Here are my questions/comments.

The left 1/3 or so of the TV seems brighter in dark scenes. It also looks like detail is lost there. People's hair specifically looks smudgy/blotchy. I am not very far from the center of the TV.

The picture seems jumpy/jittery sometimes. I am not sure what the difference between smooth, clear and standard are, on Auto Motion Plus, so I am having a hard time deciding on which if any are ideal. I still see blocking/artifacts (not sure what it is called) sometimes when there is movement, normally when the scene is up-close. The manufacture says No Blur, maybe I don't know what that is, because I seem to see blur.

When I used the calibration disc I tried it on Movie and Standard. For the blue screen color on movie I had to increase the color to 51, but on Standard I had to decrease the color to 35. Is this normal when they both started at 50?

Should I set the screen size to Screen Fit instead of 16:9? It looks like Screen Fit displays more picture. I tried this on the calibration disc and on a Disney blu ray TV setup.

The manual is not very helpful in describing what Film Mode and the Auto Motion Plus settings actually do, or why you would want one over the other.

Any advice would be appreicated.

Clear = Low AMP (High Blur setting/Low Judder setting)

Standard = Medium AMP

Smooth = High AMP (Low Blur setting/High Judder setting)

There's also a Custom setting which allows you to adjust the Blur/Judder settings. It's kind of confusing but basically, the higher the Blur setting, the less blur you'll see. The higher the judder setting, the more soap opera effect you'll see. So which setting you choose is all personal preference.

Film Mode activates the set's de-interlacer. I won't get into the technical details here, but it's only really useful for interlaced material (DVD's) and film source material broadcasts. Doesn't affect BluRay. I have it set to Film1.

If your BluRay player is set to output 24hz (so you can view the movie as it was intended to be viewed), then you should probably turn off AMP when watching BluRay since with AMP on, not only will the film not look like it was intended to look, but AMP can introduce artifacts/blurring into the picture. So I keep AMP off when viewing BluRay material, and keep it on Clear for regular tv viewing, and smooth or Custom 10/4 for high def sports.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDDawg /forum/post/19442062

Clear = Low AMP (High Blur setting/Low Judder setting)

Standard = Medium AMP

Smooth = High AMP (Low Blur setting/High Judder setting)

There's also a Custom setting which allows you to adjust the Blur/Judder settings. It's kind of confusing but basically, the higher the Blur setting, the less blur you'll see. The higher the judder setting, the more soap opera effect you'll see. So which setting you choose is all personal preference.

Film Mode activates the set's de-interlacer. I won't get into the technical details here, but it's only really useful for interlaced material (DVD's) and film source material broadcasts. Doesn't affect BluRay. I have it set to Film1.

If your BluRay player is set to output 24hz (so you can view the movie as it was intended to be viewed), then you should probably turn off AMP when watching BluRay since with AMP on, not only will the film not look like it was intended to look, but AMP can introduce artifacts/blurring into the picture. So I keep AMP off when viewing BluRay material, and keep it on Clear for regular tv viewing, and smooth or Custom 10/4 for high def sports.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. That helps with those settings. I don't know why the manual couldn't explain it like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
mathieuy

I don't know why, but sometimes (rare) Samsung can put AUO or CMO panel inside and SQ sticker on the right side of TV =), it is confirmed.

At the same time you can get AA sticker and Samsung panel. Possibly it may happen by mistake.

There is another way to check what panel is inside of TV, on the back (top right side) through ventilation area you can see another sticker straight on the panel.

If the code starts from LTF**** - then it's a samsung panel.

T***** = AUO

CN***** = CMO.

You say that there is SQ01 code on the back of the matrix(panel) or back of the TV? They usually put this type of sticker only on the outside.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieuy /forum/post/0

Audio Lip sync problem with C610.

And when I saw the 650, wow... The matte VS glossy screen I think.. Ok, glossy reflect everything, but the picture is amazing compare to 610. My opinion.

Yeah, actually I forgot about that one. That was one of the first thing I noticed too. However, it may have been possibly due to amp. To be honest, i completely forgot about it. Perhaps it was due just due to amp or a recent fw upgrade fixed it. In any case, it's obviously not an issue any more, if I've forgotten about it.

As for going to a 650, can't say I blame you. I've seen it since and it does have a bit more pop. However, lighting in my room would be too reflective.

The minor banding, I've learned to live with and truthfully, it's not really that noticeable. I'm just very picky, but I really only see it during football.

Anyway, I'm satisfied for the price.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
So packed it up, exchanged it (another sq01 panel--that's all the local store has), hooked it up, no band on left, but same size nasty even slightly darker blue band on right! Recorded some hockey, called the wife in, asked her to look at picture, after 30 seconds, sure nuff she says--"What's that?"

Do you see a blue or green line when you watch a standard def program that is widescreen near the bottom edge of the picture?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygen_ /forum/post/0

mathieuy

I don't know why, but sometimes (rare) Samsung can put AUO or CMO panel inside and SQ sticker on the right side of TV =), it is confirmed.

At the same time you can get AA sticker and Samsung panel. Possibly it may happen by mistake.

There is another way to check what panel is inside of TV, on the back (top right side) through ventilation area you can see another sticker straight on the panel.

If the code starts from LTF**** - then it's a samsung panel.

T***** = AUO

CN***** = CMO.

You say that there is SQ01 code on the back of the matrix(panel) or back of the TV? They usually put this type of sticker only on the outside.

Hi, I checked In the ventilation and I didn't find any sticker here... I checked the left and right side... Weird

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDDawg /forum/post/19440343

Banding, clouding, flash-lighting have been common issues with LCD's for a long time across all manufacturers makes and models, regardless of the cost of the set. It's the nature of the beast.

Don't go looking for these issues. If you don't see them under your normal viewing conditions, be it watching movies & sports or gaming, then it shouldn't be an issue. I've seen many on these forums who never knew they had it, went looking for and found it, and returned their set only to then find the new set had worse problems that did effect their viewing enjoyment.

Excellent advice.

I'd add that it can be good to be sure that a set you might be thinking of returning has the latest firmware installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieuy /forum/post/19444582

Hi, I checked In the ventilation and I didn't find any sticker here... I checked the left and right side... Weird

mathieuy

Sticker is usually seen through ventilation (inside) at top left side if you're looking from the back. Did you try to locate it with a flashlight?

Sometimes people say they can't find it, if it is so then the only other way to identify panel is to go to service menu.

To do that you should sequentially press info-menu-mute-power within 1-2 seconds with TV turned off. I don't know if this method works on American sets. (you can also try MUTE-1-8-2-POWER ON).

On the first page of menu you should find type string:
http://5690.iz.piccy.info.nyud.net/i...6/605690/3.jpg

For example you have 40A1UF0C code:

40 - Inch

A - Vendor(A:Samsung, D:CMO, L:AUO, I:CPT, P:ChiLin, Q:IPS alpha)

1 - Panel frequence (6:50/60Hz, 1:100/120Hz, 2:200/240Hz)

U - Panel(A:AntiGlare, T:TN U:Ultra Clear)

F - Resolution (F:FHD, H:HD, U:UD)

0 - Panel 1st/2nd (1st:0, 2nd:1…)

C - BLU(BackLight Unit) C:CCFL, L:LED, E:Edge LED

Just don't change any parameters in service menu you don't understand.

Good luck!

·
Registered
867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxygen_ /forum/post/19446460

mathieuy

Sticker is usually seen through ventilation (inside) at top left side if you're looking from the back.

I believe that applies to TVs of 40 inches or less. Out of curiosity I checked my 46C650 and there is no visible sticker behind the upper vents.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotust /forum/post/19432428

I dont know if this is allowed here but if anyone wants I am selling my LN46B630 on Ebay item #180581702809 at no reserve.

I dont want to spam you guys. but one day left with the price at 465$ no reserve.

-Shawn

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDDawg /forum/post/19442062

I noticed some very odd interlacing going on while watching the scrolling text on ESPN the other day... it was stuttering occasionally, and would split like it was being RE-interlaced, so after some poking around, I determined that it was Film1 mode that was doing it. Likewise (although you probably shouldn't do this anyway), both Film1 and Film2 would create some odd stuttering on the scrolling 'noteboard' in Rock Band 2 (which is a pretty good way to check for motion issues). Turning it off alltogether made things nice and smooth again.

I checked both my 40C630 and 55C630, and they behaved the same way. It amazes me how some of these settings can muck things up so much (AMP, Film Mode, ECO sensor) especially when they're turned on by default.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got the LN46C630

I had my regular sony dvd player hooked up via the component cables. The quality when watching any regular, meaning non bluray dvds was very bad. Made me not want to watch any of mine.

I went out and purchased a Samsung BD c6500 Blu Ray player and hooked it up via hdmi cable to take advantage of the upconverting but the standard dvds look pretty pathetic. Is this normal?

Blu rays look great. I'm just wondering what every else is seeing in terms of quality of the picture on regular dvds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this TV for a while and have been very happy with it. I do have an issue I'm not really sure how to resolve. I recently set up a computer to use for internet video and such. I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable and standard mini stereo plug. Everything works great. However, every time I turn off the TV, when I start it back up, the TV won't pick up the video signal from the computer. If I simply unplug the cable from the back of the PC and replug it in, everything is working instantly.

Does anyone have any reason this might be happening? The computer is definitely not going into sleep or suspend or anything similar and can be accessed by other computers on the network into as well. Other sources don't seem to have this problem.

·
Registered
867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureSpiderman /forum/post/19450417

I've had this TV for a while and have been very happy with it. I do have an issue I'm not really sure how to resolve. I recently set up a computer to use for internet video and such. I'm using a DVI-HDMI cable and standard mini stereo plug.

Which TV model are you referring to?

Is the computer a PC as you say, or is it a Mac?
Quote:
If I simply unplug the cable from the back of the PC and replug it in, everything is working instantly.

Does it recognize the PC if you switch to another source and then back to the computer source without re-plugging the cable?

3881 - 3900 of 6256 Posts