AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if we will be so lucky as to have D-Nice or Chad drop us a starting reference however this is what I have so far for my 2D settings,

PN59D6500, going for a more natural image.

Cell Light 20

Contrast 68

Brightness 48

Sharpness up to you

Color 45

Tint G/R G52-R48

HDMI Low. Gamma I believe I have set to +1.

Some very good depth to this image.

-------------------------------------------------------

Here are the settings I am currently using after trying pretty much everything out there.

Give these a shot if you haven't (credit to Varkeast),

Mode Movie

Peak White 35ftL

Cell Light 15

Contrast 94

Brightness 65

Sharpness 10

Color 48

Tint 50/50

Black Tone off

Dynamic off

gamma -1

RGB Only off

Flesh Tone off

Edge Enhance off

Motion Light off

xvYcc off

Color Tone warm2

Digital Noise off

mpeg Noise off

Color Space

Red_r 78

Red_g 75

Red_b 50

Green_r 100

Green_g 16

Green_b 0

Blue_r 18

Blue_g 22

Blue_b 37

Yellow_r 14

Yellow_g 29

Yellow_b 43

Cyan_r 100

Cyan_g 48

Cyan_b 36

Magenta_r 37

Magenta_g 100

Magenta_b 49

White Balance

r-offset 24

g-offset 22

b-offset 26

r-gain 21

g-gain 26

b-gain 28

10-point

r1 0

g1 1

b1 -1

r2 3

g2 2

b2 -1

r3 4

g3 3

b3 -1

r4 3

g4 3

b4 0

r5 3

g5 3

b5 1

r6 4

g6 4

b6 0

r7 3

g7 3

b7 1

r8 1

g8 3

b8 -1

r9 -2

g9 -2

b9 -6

r10 -3

g10 -2

b10 -3

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDjavaherian /forum/post/20239849

Is there any reason why this thread hasn't received any additional comments? I'm sure plenty of people are calibrating their D6500's.

How did the settings work for you? I tried 60 on color left 50/50 on Tint and dialed in the advance by pushing Blue to max. Sean202 gave me his colors and they worked well so I added them in the original post since these are easier to start with.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDjavaherian /forum/post/20240489

Thanks. I really don't have a good eye yet, but I tried your original settings and they seemed nice. Maybe a little dim?

Thanks again.

If you are used to LED\\LCD these would probably appear dim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiteng /forum/post/20241219

I wonder why I can't change my HDMI setting. It is shaded out set on normal.

This depends on source. I imagine you are on your cable box?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,

Just found this thread. I just got the pn59d6500.

Anyone got some calibration numbers for this particular model they like?

What would you run for break in vs after break in?

Thanks in advance,

chilecayenne

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi all, can anyone confirm on an improvement in PQ on the D6500 vs the D550 (59/64"). Not bothered with internet on tv but will spend extra if there truly is an image processing improvement. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilecayenne /forum/post/20369291

Hello,

Just found this thread. I just got the pn59d6500.

Anyone got some calibration numbers for this particular model they like?

What would you run for break in vs after break in?

Thanks in advance,

chilecayenne

I have been anxious to see calibration numbers as well. Bummer CNET already reviewed the Panasonic GT30 but hasn't touched Samsungs Plasma models. For break in you could follow DNICE slides he has out for the Kuro. For settings I am not sure, I didn't break mine in however I notice the picture has gotten visibly better once settling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbaddeley /forum/post/20369555

Hi all, can anyone confirm on an improvement in PQ on the D6500 vs the D550 (59/64"). Not bothered with internet on tv but will spend extra if there truly is an image processing improvement. Thanks.

I do not think you would ever notice a difference if you were looking side by side. I do not think you can deny there are less reflections on the 6500 and that to me is worth the extra in addition to the fact that with the 6500 you can get 5 movies and 2 glasses.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon /forum/post/20369842

I have been anxious to see calibration numbers as well. Bummer CNET already reviewed the Panasonic GT30 but hasn't touched Samsungs Plasma models. For break in you could follow DNICE slides he has out for the Kuro. For settings I am not sure, I didn't break mine in however I notice the picture has gotten visibly better once settling.

I do not think you would ever notice a difference if you were looking side by side. I do not think you can deny there are less reflections on the 6500 and that to me is worth the extra in addition to the fact that with the 6500 you can get 5 movies and 2 glasses.

Thanks for the reply.

Ok..I watched a stones concert dvd right off after getting it. I've got the break in slides running now, will try to do for most of afternoon..but willl want to watch some movies tonight with the new 'toy'.

I just set it to the factory default for movie. Settings are kinda high for that tho?

Looked like contrast was 95

Cell 18

Brightness 55

Sharpness 20

Color 50

Tint G50 R50

I set gamma to +1 just to see if a difference.

I'm guessing this can't hurt for break in....hoping for movies with no bars, etc...should be ok?

Man..is there a site out there that explains what all these settings do and how they interact? I looked into the advanced menu and WOW....tons of choices, all of which I have NO idea what they do.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrandon /forum/post/20369842

the D550 is much more reflective.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The D550 is a mirror and suited for bat caves only *at least if you are as sensitive to reflections as I am. D7000 is way better for that, but I am still thinking of replacing my two sets of white blinds in our family room. And then there's that fairly glossy white ceiling.

·
Registered
81 Posts
TheBrandon, did you get a replacement D6500 after returning your first one, or did you get a different model?

I tend to see folks setting their brightness around 40-50 with gamma +1. I have gamma on my D6500 set at 0, a and brightness can't go below 60-62 without losing shadow detail. I wonder if it's better to set gamma +1 and decrease the brightness a bit. Will try that out. Otherwise, my settings are pretty similar to yours in the original post, as a result of my own eyeballing and testing with the AVS 709 disc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just ordered my first plasma! Thanks for the information about the D-Nice slides for the Kuro. I've got them and the instructions on how to run them, but I was wondering if anyone can share settings for the break-in process?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I too am a fan of the +1 gamma. I have been testing out brightness levels between 45-53ish. The +1 gamma keeps the blacks black and brings out the shadow level great. At least on my 59" 6500.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Bump...

I will be picking this TV up next week in the 59". How long do you guys recommend running the sets on "xxxx" mode before calibrating them to your liking?

·
Registered
116 Posts
^^^I think I've consistently seen about 100 hours mentioned on here before guys recommend having it professionally calibrated. As long as you don't do anything extreme, I don't think calibrating it earlier does any "harm". You might just have to tweak it again as the panel gets broken in, hence why it isn't worth paying someone to do it until your panel is "ready".

Slightly off-topic, but this is the closest thing we have to a 6500 plasma thread.

Is anyone still having issues with the firmware? I put it off since everyone had to do the "code" to get their TVs to work again, and I just remembered it is out there. Did Samsung ever update it to make the upgrade go smoothly?

I think I've finally run my 6500 long enough to try some of the settings from here and the 7000 thread, but I should probably take care of the firmware before I go through changing things just to have it get reset.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just got the 59d6500 the other day. Haven't had time to set it up yet, but can't wait!! Anyone have some calibrated settings that look really good?? How do the settings from the d7000/8000 look on the 6500?? This is my first plasma, going from a 52a650 lcd.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts