AVS Forum banner

6341 - 6360 of 14636 Posts

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the theory behind 200+ hours of flashing colors on this TV, and is it necessary?

Also, do these things really run that hot? If it does, is that per design, or is this something that ends up affecting the life expectancy of these TVs?

I'm trying to determine if this would be a good replacement for my 55XBR8, but I don't want to have to bother with a lot of steps, before I can use the TV.
The theory behind running slides for 200 hours is to age phosphors equally before calibration. If you do not wish to calibrate, you don't need to do that. I did not do that, but after 300 hours, had my tv professionally calibrated anyways.

Yes, plasmas run hot. Some manufacturers use fans, other use heat sinks to reduce heat. Samsung uses heat sinks. I added a fan to the back of my F8500 just to keep it running cooler. Heat, next to power surges, are the greatest enemies of any device and will shorten the lifespan.

Don't let that scare you. I still have my Pioneer 5020 and it is going strong after 6 years. I would expect my Samsung to last just as long.

·
Registered
20,250 Posts
The point of the slides is to evenly wear the phosphors to prep the set for calibration. The more evenly worn the better and more consistent the calibration can be. Also these first few hundred hours are where the phosphors "change"(shift) the most. If you don't plan on pro or meter calibration then there is no "need" to run slides. People here go through extra steps for peace of mind and to prep for calibration. You'll have hundreds of thousands of people who don't do anything.

All plasmas generate heat, it's the nature of the technology. Has no effect on LE unless it is malfunctioning.

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts
The slides are ran to break in a plasma TV to age the phosphorus on the screen . Some people believe in break in and some do not, like myself .

These units run a little hotter than a LED but nothing that will cause harm to the unit.

You can plug it in and use it, you will be fine. This is a great unit overall, and for the price the best choice. The XBR-65X950B FALD LED is over double to cost of this Samsung 64" .

·
Registered
906 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies guys!

Regarding the higher heat, would there be any concerns with wall mounting this unit, if all the heat is directed out of the back of the unit? I should say more specifically with mounting it on a stand with a wood back like the JSP Jazzy model?

·
Registered
20,250 Posts
People mount plasmas all the time. You just want to be sure to have clearance behind above and below the TV for ventilation

Sent from my Flip Phone using DOS

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi guys,

Long time since I've been on this forum (since my last panasonic plasma was bought 5 years ago, has been a terrific TV) and I'm now in the market for a new plasma as I've finished my basement. In the process of building my ultimate "man cave" and am a huge sports fan. I want to stick with plasma based on everything I've read regarding LED's and watching sports. I'm still in the process of hunting around seeing if I can find any panasonic plasmas that are left out there but I'm not having any luck which leads me to the 8500. A couple of quick questions:

1) I've read about the buzzing of these sets, and that the 60 inch models (I'm thinking of going with a 64 inch) are apparently the worst for this, has this improved at all as the manufacturer continues to build them? I feel like buzzing from the TV would drive me insane, but not sure the trade off to LED to get no buzzing is worth it

2) What are the main differences between the F5500 and the F8500 models? I don't care about smart TV or any of those features, my main concerns are picture quality for sports and the buzzing

Any opinions or comments are much appreciated, thanks
I bought a 51 inch 8500 in Feb. and I hear nothing. My two previous plasmas were a Panny 700 in 2007 and a Panny G25 in 2010 and I did hear a very slight buzz with them but I would not worry about buzzing in making your decision. IMO.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone ever had their set turn off by itself? I've had mine for 4 months now and it's happened twice. I turn it back on and all looks OK when I do.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Has anyone ever had their set turn off by itself? I've had mine for 4 months now and it's happened twice. I turn it back on and all looks OK when I do.
Do you have auto protection turned on? Under System, Screen Burn Protection. I have mine set to off. You only need it if you plan to have a static image display for a long time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do you have auto protection turned on? Under System, Screen Burn Protection. I have mine set to off. You only need it if you plan to have a static image display for a long time.
Thanks. But I have auto protection turned off. Both times it shut off was while I was watching a Blu Ray movie.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Pardon my ignorance, but what's the theory behind 200+ hours of flashing colors on this TV, and is it necessary?
Is it necessary? Probably not. Will it hurt? No. My idea behind it is to age the pixels evenly at the very start of their life when they're most sensitive to luminance decay. Then again, the phosphors in a plasma may not have the initial luminance decay like the phosphors in CCFL lamps or other things I've had first hand experience with.

Also, do these things really run that hot? If it does, is that per design, or is this something that ends up affecting the life expectancy of these TVs?
I felt the back of my panel which has been on for over 12 hours straight running the "break-in" video to find the hottest spot and then measured it with a IR thermometer and it was like 103F. The panel is on its stand out in the open in a room that's about 68F.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Is it necessary? Probably not. Will it hurt? No. My idea behind it is to age the pixels evenly at the very start of their life when they're most sensitive to luminance decay. Then again, the phosphors in a plasma may not have the initial luminance decay like the phosphors in CCFL lamps or other things I've had first hand experience with.

I felt the back of my panel which has been on for over 12 hours straight running the "break-in" video to find the hottest spot and then measured it with a IR thermometer and it was like 103F. The panel is on its stand out in the open in a room that's about 68F.
Attach the fan above the vents over the hot spot. Temp max is usually 84F.

·
Vendor
26,699 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bluray player

Just received my 60F8500 last week.The bluray player I have is going upstairs and any suggestions on what I should buy as I only use it about 2-3 a month? Would like a OPPO but I do not use it enough. THANKS

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Just received my 60F8500 last week.The bluray player I have is going upstairs and any suggestions on what I should buy as I only use it about 2-3 a month? Would like a OPPO but I do not use it enough. THANKS
Since the majority of blu ray players out there play blu rays equally well, there are plenty of name brands on Amazon for less than $100, including 3D players. Samsung has several under $100.

·
Registered
225 Posts
First time plasma tv owner. Received my 64F8500 yesterday. Am overall very impressed with image quality: blacks are the blackest I've ever seen and colors and detail are also amazing. Also have not had any issue with buzzing.

One thing I am concerned about is a slight amount of uneven lighting on the left side of the screen. I noticed this on the very first blu ray I watched. It is only apparent on very light images. Especially images of the daytime sky.

Have attached a screenshot. Screen is slightly darker from the left edge to past the pause icon. It is more noticeable than the screen shot would indicate. Especially noticeable when the image is being panned from one side to the other.

Is this a common issue with plasmas? Will it likely improve after the set is broken in?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

6341 - 6360 of 14636 Posts