AVS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 14673 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm curious if its just me or my tv but it seems most posted settings have Color Tone set at Warm2, I myself find I like Standard better, reason being warm2 tints whites where Standard gives me the whitest whites (Cool as we all know gives us a blue tint which again isn't pure white to me).

These 2 photos have warm2 and Standard.. Sorry photo quality isnt' the best, I took it with my phone but I think you can see the tinting I'm speaking of, I don't even have to list which is which

Thoughts??

·
Registered
200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/30#post_23373878

Maybe you just re-updated again with 1103. Does your tv show that 1104 is loaded?

Yep it says 1104 is loaded.

·
Coyote Waits
27,251 Posts
Blessed are the Smart Threads.

May this be one of the smartest.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373910

I'm curious if its just me or my tv but it seems most posted settings have Color Tone set at Warm2, I myself find I like Standard better, reason being warm2 tints whites where Standard gives me the whitest whites (Cool as we all know gives us a blue tint which again isn't pure white to me).

These 2 photos have warm2 and Standard.. Sorry photo quality isnt' the best, I took it with my phone but I think you can see the tinting I'm speaking of, I don't even have to list which is which

Thoughts??]

im somewhat in the same camp. as much as ive tried to go with warm2, not much time passes and im switching back to warm1. i find it gives great whites without being too blueish. at least on regular programming. netflicks and blurays depends... generally i stay on warm1 tho.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373910

Thoughts??
Hey Pinger. Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about!! For over a month, I had preferred the Standard color tone to the others....Out of the box, Standard is my preference. I think the reason it's not the preferred color tone to the master calibrators is that I don't think a proper calibration to the baseline, "Rec. 709", can be made using the "standard" color tone. (help me out guys, if I'm not correct here). Not until I was able to incorporate some of the cals uploaded by other forum members (Pie, Elvamir to name a couple) did I see a big improvement to the 8500's picture using "warm 2". I haven't used warm1, as ljmart, states he uses. I may try that out too......above all, whatever color tones pleases the viewer the most, regardless if it does/doesn't meet standards, should be their choice!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373921

+1

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
^so, pie, when are you going on tour?!!

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/30#post_23373467

It's odd that nobody has seen any change with the update. So we have no idea what it does. I still haven't gotten it yet...waiting for the OTA version.

One thing that's never been mentioned, the quality of the built-in camera. I was stunned by how good that little thing looks on my 64" 8500! The clarity and color is far better than I would have thought. Of course I have no idea what I'll do with it!
Ken:

The update is supposed to fix wi fi connection issues. Some of the units would drop the wireless connection momentarily. One of my sets experienced that problem. I thought it was a bad wi fi adaptor but apparently there was a bug in the firmware.

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/30#post_23373876

A word of caution. Kevins calibration was done to an earlier version of firmware. FW 1103, Samsung made some changes to the core levels, so the calibration becomes inaccurate.
Luckily (?) I'm in Australia, and we are still on 1101.0. You guys have had more firmware updates than I've had hot dinners!

Still - good point for all the USA owners...

I'm going to attempt to get mine calibrated in the next month or two. Just need some more hours up and see if we are going to get any firmware updates that affect picture quality.

BTW - Even on v1101 I haven't seen any brightness pops in 2D content. I do on occasion in 3D. I don't think I would have noticed it until my son pointed it out

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/30#post_23373661

the camera in the pouch message is gone.
That is strange because I have version 1104 installed and still get the pop up message about the camera. Honestly this doesn't bother me.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373979

^so, pie, when are you going on tour?!!

HAH!
That made me chuckle. It would probably be a long drive, I'm in Ontario Canada.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23374027

That is strange because I have version 1104 installed and still get the pop up message about the camera. Honestly this doesn't bother me.

Do you have any of the camera related apps still turned on?

·
Registered
18,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373921

+1

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23374048

Yeah, good point! If you have camera/motion control still "on" with your camera tucked away in its pouch, I would expect samsung to tell you with a pop up window.......check for that guys......

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23374048

Great advice, I disabled my motion control and no more camera messages.

Thanks Pie

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23374145

They really did 'fix' the message to appear when it should appear and only then.
Samsung finally "got it right"...Alleluia!!

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373949

Hey Pinger. Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about!! For over a month, I had preferred the Standard color tone to the others....Out of the box, Standard is my preference. I think the reason it's not the preferred color tone to the master calibrators is that I don't think a proper calibration to the baseline, "Rec. 709", can be made using the "standard" color tone. (help me out guys, if I'm not correct here). Not until I was able to incorporate some of the cals uploaded by other forum members (Pie, Elvamir to name a couple) did I see a big improvement to the 8500's picture using "warm 2". I haven't used warm1, as ljmart, states he uses. I may try that out too......above all, whatever color tones pleases the viewer the most, regardless if it does/doesn't meet standards, should be their choice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/60#post_23373972

Pinger, I too find warm2 uncalibrated too high in the reds.

Once calibrated, everything just works properly and warm2 looks 100% real.

That all makes prefect sense,

I haven't plugged in posted calibrated Color space, white balance & 10pt whites since the updates started rolling out so maybe I'll give some newer ones out next week (heading out of town for the weekend).

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
^ Chris, I think there was a growing consensus to leave the bickering over different makes on the original thread as it is not an 'owners thread'.

Ultimately all that means is that I have another thread to check :/

At least it will neaten things up

61 - 80 of 14673 Posts