AVS Forum banner

13481 - 13500 of 14636 Posts

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Instead of Samsung's past practice of offering an 'equivalent' model or full refund, wonder if field replacement of capacitors by their techs will become a routine fix for bad boards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The fact that a failure has occurred is not what angers me here, yes it sucks but these things happen. What is beyond unacceptable to me is the fact that Samsung is unable and unwilling to provide critical replacement parts for a flagship product, their most expensive TV at time of release, for a reasonable time after it was discontinued. For that reason alone my F8500 will be the last Samsung product of any kind I will buy.
I totally agree with you. This is my last Samsung TV as well. Just the principle of the thing.

·
Premium Member
18,274 Posts
Interesting articles you linked to. Thanks

Sounds very much like the manufacturers play dumb until they know for sure that you're not going away and are aware that you have the law on your side. ...provided that your state's lemon law covers it. Unfortunately, mine doesn't.

I wonder which state's lemon law you go by if you're buying off the internet?

....and what would be reasonable compensation? I don't think a 15% discount coupon for a future display is much use. If the object of the law is to make manufacturers carry replacement parts and they don't, I'd like to see manufacturers be require to refund your full purchase price. Then they might figure out a way to make a few spare boards.
Trouble is that what little laws there are regarding this, there is zero compliance by the manufacturers and zero enforcement from the government. You'd need a lawyer to force the manufacturer's hand, and even then it's a moot point since they don't maintain an inventory of replacement parts for TVs that are more than one year old, if that.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Trouble is that what little laws there are regarding this, there is zero compliance by the manufacturers and zero enforcement from the government. You'd need a lawyer to force the manufacturer's hand, and even then it's a moot point since they don't maintain an inventory of replacement parts for TVs that are more than one year old, if that.

Yeah...but the manufacturers are walking a tight rope.

All it takes is one lawyer with the initiative to organize a class action suit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I totally agree with you. This is my last Samsung TV as well. Just the principle of the thing.
I didn't mean just tv's, I won't buy another Samsung product period. While there's obviously limits to how much I can control that statement given that like all large companies Samsung also manufacturers components used by other companies in their products, after this experience anything branded Samsung is a non-starter for me.

Reactions: damazeen

·
Registered
16 Posts
I didn't mean just tv's, I won't buy another Samsung product period. While there's obviously limits to how much I can control that statement given that like all large companies Samsung also manufacturers components used by other companies in their products, after this experience anything branded Samsung is a non-starter for me.
I hear ya! I had a terrible experience with LG over a fridge I'd bought about 10 years ago. I swore off their brand there and then and still LG free. If OLED prices come down and the kinks in the tech are ironed out, I still wouldn't buy LG. Even knowing they will probably get a part of my money for the panel they built for X Y and Z brands leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Samsung as a corporation seems to be hell bent on becoming number 1 by cutting corners and not putting in the effort that the Japanese companies used to do. They never mention their tech, only their sales figures and even then it is only in the amount of units sold be it tv's or phones or washing machines etc. If they were a person, I'd say they have an inferiority complex. :D

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
first of all, you have to pull the back cover off of the TV and get the number off of the board. There is usually a white sticker or a number on the board itself. just google this number and you will find a bunch on ebay and elsewhere. Some suppliers, like shopjimmy, offer returns, some do not. These are usually used parts taken from working sets (with cracked screens, etc.) I usually photograph the board and then load the photo in to my computer so that I can compare the new board and numbers exactly side by side. Good luck. I received my replacement boards yesterday and will be installing one at a time this morning and hopefully get the F8500 fired up!
Thanks for the informed advice. Ill do just that. I wont be able to get to opening the F8500 up till probably next Sunday. Ill keep posting updates on the thread as I progress.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Instead of Samsung's past practice of offering an 'equivalent' model or full refund, wonder if field replacement of capacitors by their techs will become a routine fix for bad boards.
I think I speak for many here who would actually prefer that, as I would have loved to keep my F8500, as much as I like the LG OLED that replaced it.

Samsung as a corporation seems to be hell bent on becoming number 1 by cutting corners and not putting in the effort that the Japanese companies used to do. They never mention their tech, only their sales figures and even then it is only in the amount of units sold be it tv's or phones or washing machines etc. If they were a person, I'd say they have an inferiority complex. :D
That's because those Japanese companies are now either gone or in severe financial distress.

The world has shown they don't care about technology or quality, they just want the latest "features" at the lowest price. If it breaks, there's a warranty, if out of the warranty period, well heck, a "replacement" is cheap (as most customers buy based on "What's the cheapest 65" TV you have, I'll take THAT one.")

Samsung doesn't care if they've lost your business as they've sold 2500 low-cost, low quality TVs in the time it took you to express that you won't purchase from them any longer.

Sad, but true.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Someone in another thread had also mentioned techs replacing three "small" capacitors on the Y-main , but he didn't know which ones. What's confusing is different repairs for what the naked eye perceives to be the same fault. In my case , the difficulty to start up the tv after switching it off for a minute. An immediate restart and it fires right up. From what I've managed to glean from the internet some people have had their y boards replaced, or their panels replaced, or 3 capacitors replaced. I'm beginning to lean towards the heat build-up theory. Perhaps this TV does need a few fans to help move the heat out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
first of all, you have to pull the back cover off of the TV and get the number off of the board. There is usually a white sticker or a number on the board itself. just google this number and you will find a bunch on ebay and elsewhere. Some suppliers, like shopjimmy, offer returns, some do not. These are usually used parts taken from working sets (with cracked screens, etc.) I usually photograph the board and then load the photo in to my computer so that I can compare the new board and numbers exactly side by side. Good luck. I received my replacement boards yesterday and will be installing one at a time this morning and hopefully get the F8500 fired up!
I replaced the power supply board on my F8500 and this did not solve the problem (I will keep the board as a future backup). After some research online, I decided to order both the upper and lower Y-Buffer boards at $50 each. Most techs apparently recommend replacing both buffer boards and the Y-Main (sustain) boards at the same time, and since I already had a replacement Y-board, I decided to go ahead and replace all three. I will post as soon as I install them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I replaced the power supply board on my F8500 and this did not solve the problem (I will keep the board as a future backup). After some research online, I decided to order both the upper and lower Y-Buffer boards at $50 each. Most techs apparently recommend replacing both buffer boards and the Y-Main (sustain) boards at the same time, and since I already had a replacement Y-board, I decided to go ahead and replace all three. I will post as soon as I install them.
According to this, 5 rapid flashes means Module Protection and may point to a problem with your logic board.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
According to this, 5 rapid flashes means Module Protection and may point to a problem with your logic board.
The front panel LED was a series of double flashes, and I remember that the logic board was a series of single flashes, which points to the X or Y board. Thanks you for this resource :)

Reactions: damazeen

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK, so I received both replacement Y-buffer boards for my 60F8500 today, and installed them along with the replacement Y-Main board that I had ordered previously (according to some techs, it is recommended to replace all three at the same time) While I was comparing all of the boards to the originals for verification, I finally found a blown capacitor in the original Y-Main board. It was one of the small blue capacitors located next to one of the heat sinks, and reads R.331K 1 KV. I was pretty happy that I had found a problem finally, and after reconnecting all of the boards and expecting success I plugged the TV in and I still have a fault code :( When plugged in there is a steady red LED on the front panel, then when powered on with the remote the front panel red LED flashes a single flash, then a short and a long flash, twice, then five double flashes, which continues indefinitely. The green logic LED on the Main Input board (mother, HDMI) flashes five double flashes and then stops. I have replaced the power supply board (which 'clicks' each time the green logic LED flashes), the Y-main board, and both Y-buffer boards. I have a replacement X-main board on hand which I have not swapped out yet, as it has a X-sub board attached to it and I am waiting to get more information before proceeding. According to the Samsung service Bulletin provided by Damazeen, the double-flash error code indicates "temperature protect". Does anyone have a clue as to how I should proceed from here? Is this "temp protect" error something that can be reset in the service menu?

·
Registered
104 Posts
OK, so I received both replacement Y-buffer boards for my 60F8500 today, and installed them along with the replacement Y-Main board that I had ordered previously (according to some techs, it is recommended to replace all three at the same time) While I was comparing all of the boards to the originals for verification, I finally found a blown capacitor in the original Y-Main board. It was one of the small blue capacitors located next to one of the heat sinks, and reads R.331K 1 KV. I was pretty happy that I had found a problem finally, and after reconnecting all of the boards and expecting success I plugged the TV in and I still have a fault code :( When plugged in there is a steady red LED on the front panel, then when powered on with the remote the front panel red LED flashes a single flash, then a short and a long flash, twice, then five double flashes, which continues indefinitely. The green logic LED on the Main Input board (mother, HDMI) flashes five double flashes and then stops. I have replaced the power supply board (which 'clicks' each time the green logic LED flashes), the Y-main board, and both Y-buffer boards. I have a replacement X-main board on hand which I have not swapped out yet, as it has a X-sub board attached to it and I am waiting to get more information before proceeding. According to the Samsung service Bulletin provided by Damazeen, the double-flash error code indicates "temperature protect". Does anyone have a clue as to how I should proceed from here? Is this "temp protect" error something that can be reset in the service menu?
Perhaps it's the main board...? Pretty soon I'll have nearly every replacement board for this TV! There was the blown capacitor on the Y-Main board, and I wonder if that has damaged the main board or wiped the eeprom?... Help! ughhh!

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Perhaps it's the main board...? Pretty soon I'll have nearly every replacement board for this TV! There was the blown capacitor on the Y-Main board, and I wonder if that has damaged the main board or wiped the eeprom?... Help! ughhh!
Sorry to hear about what you're going through.

Last night, my 8500 did the blinking red light thing. Had to unplug it and start over. It booted correctly then.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So, I'm all-in now. Just ordered the Main board, and the X-buffer board (that one was only $20) That is every board in this TV, except for the insignificant ones, like IR/remote control , Bluetooth, and Sound boards that run along the bottom of the unit. I am throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks! Total expense is $420, not including a few bucks for shipping, and once this puppy is back up and running (it WILL be back up and running...!) I will have a bunch of spares! Bummer is, I will surely have lost my calibration once I change out the Main board (maybe I wrote the numbers down somewhere?...)

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
So, I'm all-in now. Just ordered the Main board, and the X-buffer board (that one was only $20) That is every board in this TV, except for the insignificant ones, like IR/remote control , Bluetooth, and Sound boards that run along the bottom of the unit. I am throwing stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks! Total expense is $420, not including a few bucks for shipping, and once this puppy is back up and running (it WILL be back up and running...!) I will have a bunch of spares! Bummer is, I will surely have lost my calibration once I change out the Main board (maybe I wrote the numbers down somewhere?...)
Hey as long as you get her back and running...who knows when you cal again it might be even better!

13481 - 13500 of 14636 Posts