AVS Forum banner

14461 - 14480 of 14656 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have looked thru the seperate thread herein on avsforum about certain failures of f8500 plasma sets. Maybe as a senior i have not noticed the five blinks of red light upon command on. Interal emanual references loose power cord. I've checked that. Is there much to worry about ? Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My Samsung PN64F8500 finally failed about a month ago after a couple of years with of the Y-sustain board power on issues. It would work sometimes for months without a problem, then would refuse to start. I gave up and replaced it with the LG C8 in May.

I took the back off the PN64 but didn’t see any obvious blown capacitors. Even tested them with the multimeter. I ordered replacement 25 volt 10 uF capacitors but chickened out soldering it myself. Called the local service guy who clipped off the 3 old offending capacitors and tack soldered on the new ones in 15 minutes for the $75 service call. The Samsung started up on the first try and is working great again. It cost less to fix it than hiring someone to haul it off!

I am done with Samsung. Samsung service and tech support denied thee was a problem, despite their own service bulletins describing the fix. They didn’t want to help. Can’t believe that 3 - $0.60 capacitors caused this many problems. If I had known it was this easy I would have fixed it years ago rather than suffer through the issue.

So much for the 2013 “King of HDTVs” .

Reactions: cockatiel

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Samsung PN64F8500 finally failed about a month ago after a couple of years with of the Y-sustain board power on issues. It would work sometimes for months without a problem, then would refuse to start. I gave up and replaced it with the LG C8 in May.

I took the back off the PN64 but didn’t see any obvious blown capacitors. Even tested them with the multimeter. I ordered replacement 25 volt 10 uF capacitors but chickened out soldering it myself. Called the local service guy who clipped off the 3 old offending capacitors and tack soldered on the new ones in 15 minutes for the $75 service call. The Samsung started up on the first try and is working great again. It cost less to fix it than hiring someone to haul it off!

I am done with Samsung. Samsung service and tech support denied thee was a problem, despite their own service bulletins describing the fix. They didn’t want to help. Can’t believe that 3 - $0.60 capacitors caused this many problems. If I had known it was this easy I would have fixed it years ago rather than suffer through the issue.

So much for the 2013 “King of HDTVs” .
KingofKaty, I may have just joined the club. Been having issues, but they always resolved after unplugging TV for awhile. Today, no red light, no clicking, no picture, and no sound. My plasma is dead! The lack of a red indicator (power) light normally tells me that its possibly the power supply board, but I'm not sure. Prior to your replacement of the 3 capacitors on the Y-sus board, did you still have a red indicator light? Could the capacitor issue really shut down the whole TV?

PS. Where did you order the capacitors from as I might need to do the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
KingofKaty, I may have just joined the club. Been having issues, but they always resolved after unplugging TV for awhile. Today, no red light, no clicking, no picture, and no sound. My plasma is dead! The lack of a red indicator (power) light normally tells me that its possibly the power supply board, but I'm not sure. Prior to your replacement of the 3 capacitors on the Y-sus board, did you still have a red indicator light? Could the capacitor issue really shut down the whole TV?

PS. Where did you order the capacitors from as I might need to do the same.
Yes, my red light in the lower left corner always worked. If I held down on the power on button with the remote the light would slowly then rapidly flash. The repairman who fixed my TV said that sometimes the soldering on the main power board go bad. He pulled out my power board and flipped it over to check. You should also check the main fuses. Thee are 2 of them about 2” long, white, and come off the wiring block that leads to the power cable. The Y service board has some test spots to check incoming voltage. There is a service bulletin from Samsung that tells you how to check for the Y board capacitor issue.

I got the ceramic capacitors from Mouser Electronics. Made by TDK. 25 volt DC 10 uF. They were $0.60 each plus $7.99 shipping.

Good luck with your TV!

Reactions: clerici79

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great job!
Unfortunately my 60" went dark this week. Based on some comments, it appears its the power supply board and capacitor issue. Anyone know a good TV repair guy in New Jersey specifically Morris County that can help me out with this??? Where can I buy the Board and capacitors? I really dont want to downgrade to any other TV... Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unfortunately my 60" went dark this week. Based on some comments, it appears its the power supply board and capacitor issue. Anyone know a good TV repair guy in New Jersey specifically Morris County that can help me out with this??? Where can I buy the Board and capacitors? I really dont want to downgrade to any other TV... Thanks in advance!
Can't help on a repair shop, but you will need a used/repaired power supply board (Bn44-00602A) and the capacitors found at:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TDK/FA20X7S1H106KRU06?qs=/ha2pyFadujcyOxVJ1%2BOCPw8otOVEd0CzQLn8QUpsLUShMNMNCRqDNdiy44VI0kV

·
Registered
590 Posts

shopjimmy.com seems to be out of the power supply board, but there's a mail-in repair service on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mail-in-Repair-Service-For-Samsung-BN44-00602A-for-PN60F8500-1-YEAR-WARRANTY/332287646873?epid=1923962013&hash=item4d5de31c99:g:clIAAOSwIjJZVrfx

When I replaced the capacitors on my 64F85000 Y-sustain board, I just removed the board and took it and the capacitors to a local guy who does general electronic repairs, and he did the job for $50. However, the last that I looked, there were also mail-in repair services for that board on eBay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
More unfortunate news- i had a repair guy diagnose the issue and turns out a fuse/circuit on the main board blew up. He's not very optimistic that it can be repaired and I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort.

·
Registered
447 Posts
More unfortunate news- i had a repair guy diagnose the issue and turns out a fuse/circuit on the main board blew up. He's not very optimistic that it can be repaired and I'm wondering if it's even worth the effort.
Does he have your 60" or just the board? DO you know the fellow/shop?

Most of these shops understand the resale of the boards and/or the resale of these 'displays' so unless I had the utmost confidence in the fellow/shop I might do some more research into the issue.

I had my 64" F8500 repaired with just caps and the diagnostics were pretty cut and dried. I'd repair if reasonable but what is reasonable?

I'm 17K hours into mine and repaired at 11K IIRC and I'd probably repair this one again 'if reasonable'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does he have your 60" or just the board? DO you know the fellow/shop?

Most of these shops understand the resale of the boards and/or the resale of these 'displays' so unless I had the utmost confidence in the fellow/shop I might do some more research into the issue.

I had my 64" F8500 repaired with just caps and the diagnostics were pretty cut and dried. I'd repair if reasonable but what is reasonable?

I'm 17K hours into mine and repaired at 11K IIRC and I'd probably repair this one again 'if reasonable'.
He has both. I found him via angie's list and had great reviews and A grade so I think he's being straight with me. He did more research and eventually found someone that claims they can fix it. The total cost would be about $450 if repaired. If it cant be repaired then he'd charge around $100 to re-install the original board and he'll drop the tv back off. I was hoping to get some more feedback to help me decide what to do next. here are some pics he sent me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
He has both. I found him via angie's list and had great reviews and A grade so I think he's being straight with me. He did more research and eventually found someone that claims they can fix it. The total cost would be about $450 if repaired. If it cant be repaired then he'd charge around $100 to re-install the original board and he'll drop the tv back off. I was hoping to get some more feedback to help me decide what to do next. here are some pics he sent me.
As much as I like my 60F8500, I would not pay $450 to repair it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
As much as I like my 60F8500, I would not pay $450 to repair it.
^^^^

I'm pretty much with this guy!

I'd maybe discuss his 'buy' of yours. If he shows interest in a purchase that might offset the 'attempt' & 'diagnostics' and put a few $$ in your pocket I'd be inclined to go that route.

Much I guess as to the value you place on it!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I posted this in another thread on Sunday, but haven't gotten a reply, so I thought I'd try here.

I've had an F8500 for around 5 or 6 years. Bought mine shortly after they were discontinued for 800.00 It's been excellent, until today.

It went black this morning after having been on less than a half hour. I have no red standby light, no sound, nothing. Left it unplugged for over an hour, still nothing.

After reading through the thread on the power issues, I've come to the conclusion it's the main power board, and not the Y board.

From my understanding of these issues, if you have sound or a blinking red light, it's Y board. With no light or sound, it's usually the main board?

Would someone be so kind as to confirm?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
I would pay it. I can’t go back to watching non-plasma sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
450 would be worth it if i knew it was going to perform well for a few years after the repair. the thing is, if i had to repair it twice, i don't know that i currently need the quality of the f8500, and 900bux for an old tv seems risky...

i don't think you can get a better(definitely not better pq, but maybe not even more reliable) brand new tv for 450, so there's no debate there. but it's like a car that starts breaking down, you either need to commit to it all the way, or bail at the start. nothing worse than spending money on repairs and then trashing it anyway.

i think personally, i'd keep the f8500 going for as long as i could do my own repairs. but the cost of paying somebody else, combined with the hassle of transporting the tv, might be the end for me. I no longer have the tv in my 'theater' and i generally don't do any critical viewing on it, so i'm optimistic that i could find a suitable replacement considering the lower demands

·
Registered
30 Posts
450 would be worth it if i knew it was going to perform well for a few years after the repair. the thing is, if i had to repair it twice, i don't know that i currently need the quality of the f8500, and 900bux for an old tv seems risky...

i don't think you can get a better(definitely not better pq, but maybe not even more reliable) brand new tv for 450, so there's no debate there. but it's like a car that starts breaking down, you either need to commit to it all the way, or bail at the start. nothing worse than spending money on repairs and then trashing it anyway.

i think personally, i'd keep the f8500 going for as long as i could do my own repairs. but the cost of paying somebody else, combined with the hassle of transporting the tv, might be the end for me. I no longer have the tv in my 'theater' and i generally don't do any critical viewing on it, so i'm optimistic that i could find a suitable replacement considering the lower demands
I ended up repairing mine. 415.00 for 2 new boards, power and what the technician called the X board. He kept talking it up as a TV that you can't compare anything else to it. I offered to sell it to him, but he declined.

If I get 4 or 5 more years out of it, I'll be happy. Perhaps OLED will be more affordable by then. Or maybe they'll resurrect plasma. :eek:

I only paid 800.00 for mine in late 2014, so I'm not into it has deeply as some. I figured it was worth a one time repair. If it goes out again, I'm not repairing it again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I posted this in another thread on Sunday, but haven't gotten a reply, so I thought I'd try here.

I've had an F8500 for around 5 or 6 years. Bought mine shortly after they were discontinued for 800.00 It's been excellent, until today.

It went black this morning after having been on less than a half hour. I have no red standby light, no sound, nothing. Left it unplugged for over an hour, still nothing.

After reading through the thread on the power issues, I've come to the conclusion it's the main power board, and not the Y board.

From my understanding of these issues, if you have sound or a blinking red light, it's Y board. With no light or sound, it's usually the main board?

Would someone be so kind as to confirm?

Probably the main board. If you are at all handy take the back off the set to test the Y board. There are gold test dots on the Y board for checking the voltage with a multimeter. No voltage means the power supply has gone bad. Check the main fuses coming off the power connection as well. Use caution to avoid electric shock. If you decide to fix it I would replace the 3 bad capacitors on the Y board at the same time. They will fail eventually too. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably the main board. If you are at all handy take the back off the set to test the Y board. There are gold test dots on the Y board for checking the voltage with a multimeter. No voltage means the power supply has gone bad. Check the main fuses coming off the power connection as well. Use caution to avoid electric shock. If you decide to fix it I would replace the 3 bad capacitors on the Y board at the same time. They will fail eventually too. Good luck!
I guess you missed my previous post:

I ended up repairing mine. 415.00 for 2 new boards, power and what the technician called the X board. He kept talking it up as a TV that you can't compare anything else to it. I offered to sell it to him, but he declined.

If I get 4 or 5 more years out of it, I'll be happy. Perhaps OLED will be more affordable by then. Or maybe they'll resurrect plasma.

I only paid 800.00 for mine in late 2014, so I'm not into it has deeply as some. I figured it was worth a one time repair. If it goes out again, I'm not repairing it again.

14461 - 14480 of 14656 Posts