AVS Forum banner

14501 - 14520 of 14670 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
After the Power board Diode repair I got done in August 2017 over 2 years no issues. In October 2019 picture used to go off after 3 to 5 minutes of switching on. Removing power and reconnecting the TV worked but after few minutes the picture switched off.

Removed the power board and took it to Computer Clinik in Lincoln (UK) and the guy there Nick is a genius. He looked at the board and tested 3 to 4 areas of the circuit and noted a tiny gap in the solder in one area on the board, did the soldering and in 5 minutes resolved the issue. I put the board back in and fired the TV.

To my Delight Samsung F8500 is running flawlessly again. 5 years of heavy use and the brightness is still great, no plasma burn. Watched Gravity in 3D again and man the images are crisp and bright. Bought in May 2014 and it is one of the best buys I made and superb value for money.

Plan to buy LG-C9 77 inch when the price drops to £4500 next Feb or March (frickin costly compared to US prices in UK....daylight robbery). Will miss 3D of Sammy Plasma.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New owner of a pn60f8500

I drove 5 hours to meet the original owner of this beautiful tv. I'm a plasma and CRT fan and I'm Not disappointed with this TV. It has not been repaired and has 3K hours in it. I just did a firmware upgrade since it was never done and I was so sad to see the smart hub downgrade. I just finished calibrating it and so glad to see Gaming as PC mode 4:4:4 RGB full, low lag and also Blu-rays in the correct format automatically with rich colors and excellent light output.

Hopefully, I won't be replacing any boards or capacitors (knock on wood), but if so, I am prepared by reading this thread.

Thank you guys for your feedback!

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Do you have 'both' remotes? Is software up to date? How many hours? Have you mentioned the problems to Best Buy previously? I'd think you can only assure the software is 'current'. I don't know why if you haven't discussed it previously why you'd wait until near end of warranty.

On a wall or free standing?

Good luck!
Thanks for reply. I called Best Buy and they will honor the warranty. A couple Geek Squad techs are scheduled for next Saturday. My question is whether you think they can diagnosis the problems listed without me being able to replicate them. Secondly, as TV been fine for months now, that the diagnostics/repair could make it worse? Or result in the infamous high-pitch buzzing sound that fortunately I never had?

Any advice regarding the Geek Squad checking it out appreciated.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for reply. I called Best Buy and they will honor the warranty. A couple Geek Squad techs are scheduled for next Saturday. My question is whether you think they can diagnosis the problems listed without me being able to replicate them. Secondly, as TV been fine for months now, that the diagnostics/repair could make it worse? Or result in the infamous high-pitch buzzing sound that fortunately I never had?

Any advice regarding the Geek Squad checking it out appreciated.
I'd think BB guys should have all relevant TSB information available and would do minimal diagnostics. I'm sure they'd probably at least make sure SW is updated to most current. If they're interested in helping you there's very much they can/could do I'd think. You need to understand they don't do PLASMA everyday!!

I'd have done something a very long time ago!!!

Get as much documentation as you can I'd think regarding the visit! You're pretty much @ their mercy I guess. Make it worse? Sounds like you're wanting someone to mention 'COIN TOSS' - if that's what you're after toss the damn coin'!!

Can you make an Ethernet cable from your router available to the display where the TV sits now? I'd do that for sure for the BB guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Solution for audio glitch problem?

For maybe a year I have had a problem with my pn64f8500.

When I watch tv I sometimes experience a small pause/glitch in the audio for a fraction of a second - but very noticable. It happens with varying frequency but several times per hour. It happens when streaming from inbuilt apps like Netflix but also when using external sources like a chromecast or blu-ray player.

It makes no difference if I use inbuilt or external speakers.

My workaround is to connect my chromecast to my audio receiver and only feed video to the tv but I would like to know if there is a solution to this issue so I can avoid the workaround.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Solution for audio glitch problem?

For maybe a year I have had a problem with my pn64f8500.

When I watch tv I sometimes experience a small pause/glitch in the audio for a fraction of a second - but very noticable. It happens with varying frequency but several times per hour. It happens when streaming from inbuilt apps like Netflix but also when using external sources like a chromecast or blu-ray player.

It makes no difference if I use inbuilt or external speakers.

My workaround is to connect my chromecast to my audio receiver and only feed video to the tv but I would like to know if there is a solution to this issue so I can avoid the workaround.

Thanks

I’m confused. I thought the workaround is to use external speakers with the chromecast, but you also said the issue happens on external speakers , too.

That said, It sounds like you’ve eliminated the sources because it happens on internal and external apps (Netflix on TV and Netflix on Chromecast, for example).maybe WiFi vs hardwired. Never experienced this on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m confused. I thought the workaround is to use external speakers with the chromecast, but you also said the issue happens on external speakers , too.

That said, It sounds like you’ve eliminated the sources because it happens on internal and external apps (Netflix on TV and Netflix on Chromecast, for example).maybe WiFi vs hardwired. Never experienced this on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify: The workaround is to only feed video to the TV and no sound. The sound is sent directly to the amplifier without going through the TV. When using chromecast I insert it into the amplifier and the amplifier sends video only to the TV.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My 8500 started that reboot cycle. i've had it since it first came out. I'm upgrading and want to get rid of it. What'd you guys think- can i sell it as is? I googled fixing it and it seems if you're handy you can send the power supply out and get it fixed for $99 - of course you'd have to remove and reinstall - which i am completely incapable of doing! How much can i expect (hope) to get - if anything? Or any other ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Blinking light, not turning on all the time, etc. I have realized as long as i dont turn it off, it stays on. I only have the issue when I turn the tv off. For now I am turning my system off at the Pre/Pro, then the tv goes into screen saver mode. I have ordered the following board from Amazon to see if this fixes my issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
What is the difference between Film Mode 1 and 2?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well changing power supply board didnt work, y-sustain and buffer board on order

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
What is the best Movie Mode setting? Also do settings depend on the set? I've tried different setting and can't tell the difference but I want to settle for one that's really close to perfect calibration if anyone here can share.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
What is the best Movie Mode setting? Also do settings depend on the set? I've tried different setting and can't tell the difference but I want to settle for one that's really close to perfect calibration if anyone here can share.
Try this
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1467675-f8500-recommended-settings-thread-88.html#post28572913

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
We were just trying the Youtube TV 3 week free trial and I can't seem to find a Youtube TV app to download on the F8500. Does that mean I'll need to use a Roku or Firestick and can't use my an internal TV app?

The one complication is I have a reciever without HDMI so I use optical audio and most separate devices don't have optical out.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I've noticed in the 4 corners of my 64" F8500..there are small bubbles in each corner. They are limited to the blank border strip and not onto the screen. Assuming it's just the filter reacting from the heat of the tv. I have about 2000 hours on the set. Is this normal?
I haven't looked/noticed any on my set and I have never heard about anyone else having this phenomen so I would not call it normal.

14501 - 14520 of 14670 Posts