AVS Forum banner

14581 - 14600 of 14636 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm amazed, my 60" is updating to version 1218.

Who'd have thought they'd push an update this long after the last one? I wonder what it does?

My Samsung plasma asked to update today as well; Surprised, needless to mention...

What are the features/purpose of this firmware?

Anyone with knowledge...?

Did anyone upgrade the firmware - Any noticed differences...?

·
Registered
626 Posts

Who'd have thought they'd push an update this long after the last one? I wonder what it does?
That is crazy... it just popped up on my 64F8500. I am not going to update until I know what what it does. I checked the Samsung site and they have the update but no release notes.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
There was an European update, 1136.0, that came out in the UK first in December 2019. It later became available in other countries as well.
I asked Samsung's support chat about it but they could not say anything about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My Samsung plasma asked to update today as well; Surprised, needless to mention...

What are the features/purpose of this firmware?

Anyone with knowledge...?

Did anyone upgrade the firmware - Any noticed differences...?
Yes, I did! I got notified this morning and was shocked. Did a search an found nothing on Samsung Website or other blogs. I assumed its for smart hub, security, or setting enhancements. My initial reaction is that I think I see a picture looking cleaner or sharper....even color balance looks better on standard cable! Is this part of a Evolution kit upgrade, which I don't think was completely finished for broader release? It appears not to have harmed anything in my PN64F8500, which I did the capacitor fix and power board replacement.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, I did! I got notified this morning and was shocked. Did a search an found nothing on Samsung Website or other blogs. I assumed its for smart hub, security, or setting enhancements. My initial reaction is that I think I see a picture looking cleaner or sharper....even color balance looks better on standard cable! Is this part of a Evolution kit upgrade, which I don't think was completely finished for broader release? It appears not to have harmed anything in my PN64F8500, which I did the capacitor fix and power board replacement.

Thank you for the reply!

Anyone else with knowledge/experience?

·
Registered
196 Posts
... I checked the Samsung site and they have the update but no release notes.

Click on the little black dot with a "?" next to the word Firmware (MAY 29,2020 | ver 1218.0 | 655.59 MB):

• This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED
  • F7450/F7500/F7550/F8000
  • The version is 1218.0
  • This firmware update will improve the following:

• - Improves picture quality.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Click on the little black dot with a "?" next to the word Firmware (MAY 29,2020 | ver 1218.0 | 655.59 MB):

• This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED
  • F7450/F7500/F7550/F8000
  • The version is 1218.0
  • This firmware update will improve the following:

• - Improves picture quality.
Here is link for the firmware found under Samsung 2013 Plasma support:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2013-plasma-smart-tv-f8500-series

I do think its odd that the F8500 isn't a listed TV, but I will attest that my picture quality has improved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
firmware

I had brief online chat with rep. from Samsung and she said this is also meant for my Plasma TV. She gave instructions and said I must use USB.
I dont want to cut and paste the whole conversation because I am not sure of legality. BUT she reasured me three times that it is meant for my TV. I will let you all know how it goes....
2013 F8500 series, Plasma smart tv.

·
Registered
12 Posts

WowI’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth if it indeed has positive effects on picture or apps.

Watching for those with enough courage to update to provide their experience and feedback. Thanks in advance for updating before me ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
WowI’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth if it indeed has positive effects on picture or apps.

Watching for those with enough courage to update to provide their experience and feedback. Thanks in advance for updating before me ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did a network (Ethernet) update to 1218 yesterday on my 64"f8500. Haven't really noticed any obvious changes in picture quality or settings or apps. Maybe this was just a routine update to increase reliability or stability in the firmware, not that I was experiencing any unreliability, but I haven't really noticed much change with this "new" update.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I had brief online chat with rep. from Samsung and she said this is also meant for my Plasma TV. She gave instructions and said I must use USB.
I dont want to cut and paste the whole conversation because I am not sure of legality. BUT she reasured me three times that it is meant for my TV. I will let you all know how it goes....
2013 F8500 series, Plasma smart tv.
If your TV is connected to the internet, you should be able to do a network install as well. I did mine yesterday over ethernet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did a network (Ethernet) update to 1218 yesterday on my 64"f8500. Haven't really noticed any obvious changes in picture quality or settings or apps. Maybe this was just a routine update to increase reliability or stability in the firmware, not that I was experiencing any unreliability, but I haven't really noticed much change with this "new" update.
I really went through everything. I can find no difference nor did any of my settings change.

Maybe the only thing updated was the software number just to mess with us. :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
I really went through everything. I can find no difference nor did any of my settings change.
Likewise, no noticeable changes due to 1218.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Mine updated as well. Only change I have seen is when I initially power on, there are now just 2 icons that display and there used to be 4 or 5.

Was never clear on what they meant anyway ??

·
Registered
626 Posts
Mine updated as well. Only change I have seen is when I initially power on, there are now just 2 icons that display and there used to be 4 or 5.

Was never clear on what they meant anyway ??
The question is did they take anything away... i.e. apps etc.?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The question is did they take anything away... i.e. apps etc.?

I'm not really sure, I never really knew what those icons/symbols were for anyway. They flash by pretty quickly on start up, so it's not like something you can 'select'.
I always assumed they represented some 'apps' or ?? Apparently, some have been removed from the Smart features ??

·
Registered
30 Posts
same. I came home last night to find my smart hub was in process of upgrading. Very odd after they abandoned it what, 5 years ago with no more updates?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a coincidence. I was just considering replacing mine (PS60F8500/Australian Version) and thought to see if there was a latest FW upgrade.

The weird thing is the version on mine is v1129 but the version online on the Samsung Australia site is v1128 (18JAN2017).

I am not too sure when v1129 was installed. A few years ago i suspect? (Unable to post the link because my post count is 0? That in itself is weird as I posted many times on here albeit a couple of years ago. Has there been some sort of upgrade on this site? Anyhow i digress ... )

Would it be possible to update an Australian panel with this latest update for US Panels via the USB method? Would it hurt the TV?

TIA

14581 - 14600 of 14636 Posts