AVS Forum banner

14601 - 14620 of 14670 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
What a coincidence. I was just considering replacing mine (PS60F8500/Australian Version) and thought to see if there was a latest FW upgrade.

The weird thing is the version on mine is v1129 but the version online on the Samsung Australia site is v1128 (18JAN2017).

I am not too sure when v1129 was installed. A few years ago i suspect? (Unable to post the link because my post count is 0? That in itself is weird as I posted many times on here albeit a couple of years ago. Has there been some sort of upgrade on this site? Anyhow i digress ... )

Would it be possible to update an Australian panel with this latest update for US Panels via the USB method? Would it hurt the TV?

TIA
First, why take a chance of bricking a perfectly good set?

Second, so far nobody sees anything different. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok - i am having to resort to using headphones to listen to movies etc & I am wanting to use Audeze Mobius headphones that only use Bluetooth technology. I know there is no 3.5mm jack on this tv and just going through some posts on this thread it is also mentioned that 5.1/7.1 etc surround sound does not pass through the optical (SPDIF) output on this tv? Can someone confirm this? Because Bluetooth is restricted to only be compatible with other Samsung devices on this panel I will need to use an adaptor sorts to provide me with non-proprietary BT technology. Either a device that connects to the optical (assuming the optical audio does pass through surround sound) or perhaps a HDMI to Bluetooth device using the panels HDMI ARC output? I'd be keen to hear what others have tried when it comes to pairing (non-Samsung) BT headphones on this panel? TIA

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Ok - i am having to resort to using headphones to listen to movies etc & I am wanting to use Audeze Mobius headphones that only use Bluetooth technology. I know there is no 3.5mm jack on this tv and just going through some posts on this thread it is also mentioned that 5.1/7.1 etc surround sound does not pass through the optical (SPDIF) output on this tv? Can someone confirm this? Because Bluetooth is restricted to only be compatible with other Samsung devices on this panel I will need to use an adaptor sorts to provide me with non-proprietary BT technology. Either a device that connects to the optical (assuming the optical audio does pass through surround sound) or perhaps a HDMI to Bluetooth device using the panels HDMI ARC output? I'd be keen to hear what others have tried when it comes to pairing (non-Samsung) BT headphones on this panel? TIA
Optical can output at least dolby digital 5.1 from internal apps, so probably passthrough also although would need to be tested. Haven't tested other combinations and internal apps generally don't have DTS. There are optical to RCA converters (powered) and RCA to headphone jack converters. Not sure how the 5.1 question relates to headphones.

Reactions: Jeff Isles

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmmm, not happy with this version update. They killed the smart hub functionality and most of the apps so now you have to use a Roku for streaming. Was on the phone with the 1800 samsung tech support for about 45 minutes before they hung up on me. The tech said there was an internal memo that smart hub and apps were removed and no longer supported on this old tv. I was furious.

Reached out to Samsungs facebook page and through messenger got in touch with another tech that provided the download link to do update via usb. She said there was no issue with smart hub or apps being removed and didnt know anything about the memo the phone tech referenced. not sure what to do. I guess Ill try the usb route, tv smart hub function is already messed up

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hmmmm, not happy with this version update. They killed the smart hub functionality and most of the apps so now you have to use a Roku for streaming. Was on the phone with the 1800 samsung tech support for about 45 minutes before they hung up on me. The tech said there was an internal memo that smart hub and apps were removed and no longer supported on this old tv. I was furious.

Reached out to Samsungs facebook page and through messenger got in touch with another tech that provided the download link to do update via usb. She said there was no issue with smart hub or apps being removed and didnt know anything about the memo the phone tech referenced. not sure what to do. I guess Ill try the usb route, tv smart hub function is already messed up

This is exactly why I didn't update my TV! I figured with a set this old and no updates for awhile, it would be to disable feature Samsung doesn't want to support any longer. However with the many options of Android TV, Apple TV and Raspberry Pi, viewers are better selecting one of these devices. IMHO, I prefer using a streaming device hooked up to a HDMI port. HDMI port can be calibrated more precisely than using the internal video port, but this the case for most displays.

If you F8500 is still working fine I would keep it. I bought a 64" of Craigslist for $400 and it is has a great picture, especially after a Calman Calibration. Yeah, it is an older display, but with everyone wanting to upgrade (including me I have two OLEDs), hobbyist are selling their 1080p equipment and great deals. You can get a 1080p video processor such as Lumagen Radiance and other brands that will enhance the picture quality even more. If anyone is thinking of upgrading and is on the fence, I would say get a video processor and it will save you money.

·
Registered
145 Posts

What apps were you using that disappeared? I can't see anything changed.

Prime, Netflix, Hulu, BBC, CNBC and a whole list of others I had didn't change.

·
Registered
30 Posts
silly me had auto update on, so it was out of site -out of mind for 5-6 years.

The link the tech sent me to was for version 1431, but thats for a J5500 model. I found the F8500 model page and can download version 1206.3 from 2015 or 1218 from a couple days ago. I think Im doing to download the 2015 version and turn off auto update...

As for apps that disappeared, youtube off the top of my head, but I had about 15 apps and now its just the web-browser, prime, hulu, and a coupe others. None of them work now, either nothing happens when you press the button, or it goes blank for a couple seconds and then goes back to previous screen.

·
Registered
145 Posts
silly me had auto update on, so it was out of site -out of mind for 5-6 years.

The link the tech sent me to was for version 1431, but thats for a J5500 model. I found the F8500 model page and can download version 1206.3 from 2015 or 1218 from a couple days ago. I think Im doing to download the 2015 version and turn off auto update...

As for apps that disappeared, youtube off the top of my head, but I had about 15 apps and now its just the web-browser, prime, hulu, and a coupe others. None of them work now, either nothing happens when you press the button, or it goes blank for a couple seconds and then goes back to previous screen.
My YouTube works fine along with Prime, Hulu, etc.

Try this. Do a reset on your TV. When you're setting it up change region to some obscure ME country. Most of the apps you like aren't allowed so they'll be erased. Finish the setup. When you're done do a reset again and set up your set with your region. This will reload all applications. I had to do this once when my apps were acting up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Did the update happen to allow YouTube to playback higher than 720p? That would be a good reason for me to install the newer firmware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Did the update happen to allow YouTube to playback higher than 720p? That would be a good reason for me to install the newer firmware.

Yeah that was one issue with this app. Otherwise, I think the major services like Netflix, Amazon, Redbulltv (really well done imho.), work well.

I also use the built in media player extensively.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I didn't know you could check. How?

When a video is playing you can left arrow over to the far left button and select HD. That opens up the different quality options available. Viewing 1080P on a large TV does wonders compared to 720P. Would prefer to use built in app, but I currently use my cable box app.

·
Registered
145 Posts
When a video is playing you can left arrow over to the far left button and select HD. That opens up the different quality options available. Viewing 1080P on a large TV does wonders compared to 720P. Would prefer to use built in app, but I currently use my cable box app.

I didn't know that. I just switched a particular video from the TV to the Roku, the set at 780P, the other at 1080P. I guess on a 60" sitting at 12' I see no difference whatsoever.
I'm still impressed with this set at just under 10k hours with zero repairs. I did line the back with 4 fans to keep it cool early on though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
burn

well, it finally happened and I don't know why I did not notice. Been watching the news so much in the last few years that burn in has occurred because of their static logos. Anything new or newer out there that might help remove the images?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Huh? Just found out about this thread (and about a new firmware with improved PQ and restauration of apps that were declared dead years ago?). I guess it's worth scanning (some of) those 488 pages !

My PN60F8500 started to exhibit the vertical green line just this past Friday. But I'm not giving up on her just yet.

Do I need to fiddle with the engineering menu ?
Is the firmware from Samsung itself ?
Is the firmware pushed from Samsung or do I have to format a stick and take it from there ?

Don't answer anyone, I'll do my reading. Cheers Denis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I've decided to take the matter of my defective set "to the next level". My PN60F8500 purchased new on 31-12-2015 performs too well to just let go at the first sign of trouble. Together, my wife and I have clocked no more than 5900 hours of viewing ! Still, watching TV for 5900 hours (even over five years) is a lot of wasted lifetime !!!

And so I called a service technician (who showed up the next day). He confirmed exactly what I was told here (that a etched connector was causing a persistent vertical line requiring a panel replacement). So 150$ later, I sent the written assessment to Samsung's escalation department. We'll see where that takes me.

The technican checked Samsung's parts availability and of course, no PDP can be found so the repair route is pretty much out of the question. That leaves me with monetary compensation which I will put on a new LG 65" C9.

In my jurisdiction (Quebec) we are protected under the terms of a legal warranty period whereby a manufacturer is bound to covering repairs under "normal usage conditions" for a "reasonable amount of time". I should be fine.

·
Premium Member
18,289 Posts
well, it finally happened and I don't know why I did not notice. Been watching the news so much in the last few years that burn in has occurred because of their static logos. Anything new or newer out there that might help remove the images?
I have successfully removed persistent IR from a couple of my Panasonics using a "Pixel Jogger" and slideshows of High Def Wallpaper image files via USB. I also later did this for a few days on my older PZ700U to wash away the wife's Food Network logo before putting it up for sale and it worked on that TV too. Several others over the years who used this method said it worked for them at well so it's worth a shot.

Here's my original post about it:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1474480-official-zt60-owners-thread-373.html#post56408846

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had brief online chat with rep. from Samsung and she said this is also meant for my Plasma TV. She gave instructions and said I must use USB.
I dont want to cut and paste the whole conversation because I am not sure of legality. BUT she reasured me three times that it is meant for my TV. I will let you all know how it goes....
2013 F8500 series, Plasma smart tv.
I also had a chat with a Samsung rep and got her to state this update was meant for my 8500 and would not hurt the TV, installed it with no issues and have a copy of the chat. Unfortunately, my issue of the TV shutting down continues. I had a tech out yesterday who resoldered some connections, checked the voltage and it seemed fixed. A few hours later, same issue. I have 90 day warranty so will call tomorrow.

14601 - 14620 of 14670 Posts