AVS Forum banner

14621 - 14640 of 14670 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also had a chat with a Samsung rep and got her to state this update was meant for my 8500 and would not hurt the TV, installed it with no issues and have a copy of the chat. Unfortunately, my issue of the TV shutting down continues. I had a tech out yesterday who resoldered some connections, checked the voltage and it seemed fixed. A few hours later, same issue. I have 90 day warranty so will call tomorrow.
How much did they charge to come out for that TV. I have a 51 inch with Power Board issue. I am thinking of sending the power board into someone who can repair it for me. Any recommendattions.

thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA HDMI trouble

I find myself forced to reach out to you who hopefully have some thought on solving what has become a real pain. Let me explain...

I'm out of town for several days and the wife messages me that she has lost picture on the Samsung 64" plasma. (PN64F8500AFXZA) but still has sound from the XMC2 from the source Xfinity DVR via HDMI. I tell her to boot DVR, turn everything off and restart. Still no picture. Not much I can do from here so maybe just check HDMI cables are secure. Later, she lets me know she remove a 90* adapter at the TV HDMI 1 input and picture is back. A couple days later, she messaged me that it happened again so she check HDMI cables and nothing resolved. Next day she turns on the system and has picture and sound as usual.
A couple days after my return, I start the system and net no picture. TV screen says "no signal". So I go about the process of elimination, swapping cables, replacing cable. Different sources, DVR, Oppo DVR, Apple TV, nothing gets a single to any of the four HDMI inputs. through the XMC2. Then I plugged the DVR directly to the TV HDMI 1 and get picture. I tryed other inputs and all have picture when the XMC2 is bypassed. So, I booted the XMC2 and even reloaded current firmware with no change. So, with a heavy heart, I talked to Emo and sent the unit in for repair.

Now it gets stupid, while the XMC2 is still out for repair, I had a strange urge to plug the Oppo (BDP103D) to the TV and I get no signal. I moved to the same input as the DVR and get nothing. I use the same HDMI cable as the DVR and get nothing. I move to HDMI2 output from the Oppo and get a pink screen. Strange, OK maybe output settings are different.
So, I took the Oppo to the Sony in the bedroom and the picture is perfect. I checked HDMI output on both 1 and 2 set to auto and has always been. I took it to the Samsung TV on the back porch and the picture there is also perfect.

Lastly, I shut down, disconnected all HDMI and unplugged all devices, then plugged them in and still only have picture and sound from the Xfinity DVR to any and all HDMI inputs on the Samsung Plasma but not from the Oppo. Additionally, I did not have picture from the Xfinity routed through the Emo XMC2. I hope to find out soon if they found any issue with it.
After a full power off and reconnect, I get a picture for a couple seconds then the same "no source" message

FYI, all HDMI cable are high quality currently rated for the highest bit rate and full 4k resolution

Thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
How much did they charge to come out for that TV. I have a 51 inch with Power Board issue. I am thinking of sending the power board into someone who can repair it for me. Any recommendattions.

thx
I'm in for $300 and that's all I will spend. Tech came back and put in a nused y board (he told me it had almost no hours on it). I still get the blinking light issue and the TV picture goes away but if I unplug and replug it, it seems to reset itself and operates normally. Sometimes I can turn it on with no issues. I realize this isn't a long term solution but we're moving in a few months and will buy a new set then I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts

thx
I had a power board issue and I just sent it to some guy on ebay for like $50-$60 and he swapped out some bad caps and some other pieces. Can;t remember all that was done, but got it back and it's been working like a champ since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a power board issue and I just sent it to some guy on ebay for like $50-$60 and he swapped out some bad caps and some other pieces. Can;t remember all that was done, but got it back and it's been working like a champ since.

Cool story. Not sure how helps the guy asking for a recommendation. “Go search eBay”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
How much did they charge to come out for that TV. I have a 51 inch with Power Board issue. I am thinking of sending the power board into someone who can repair it for me. Any recommendations. thx
There are a number of eBay sellers that can repair your failed board(s). I searched eBay for " Samsung F8500 board repair service "

Even if the "auction" is for a different Samsung model or board, you can contact the seller about fixing your particular board and work it out with him.

Here's a few i found (enter the item number in the search field to go directly to them):

nickstvs ( eBay item number:333298873225 )

generalelectronicparts ( eBay item number: 331778552148 )

discountdescramblersdotcom (eBay item number: 131434939091 )

http://www.ebaystores.com/discountdescramblersdotcom?x=0&y=0&_nkw=tv+repair+services&

·
Registered
209 Posts
There are a number of eBay sellers that can repair your failed board(s). I searched eBay for " Samsung F8500 board repair service "

Even if the "auction" is for a different Samsung model or board, you can contact the seller about fixing your particular board and work it out with him.

Here's a few i found (enter the item number in the search field to go directly to them):

nickstvs ( eBay item number:333298873225 )

generalelectronicparts ( eBay item number: 331778552148 )

discountdescramblersdotcom (eBay item number: 131434939091 )

http://www.ebaystores.com/discountdescramblersdotcom?x=0&y=0&_nkw=tv+repair+services&

I just inherited a brand new in the box unit. Is it recommended to upgrade to the most recent firmware 1218 or 1206.3 or keep it at current? Looks like 1218 came out a month or two ago and 1206.3 was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just inherited a brand new in the box unit. Is it recommended to upgrade to the most recent firmware 1218 or 1206.3 or keep it at current? Looks like 1218 came out a month or two ago and 1206.3 was 5 years ago.
Congrats on new inheritance :)

I see no reason not to update to the latest. I think there might have been some apps removed or disabled in the latest but that never really concerned me since I've always used external device to stream. There's been no performance hit (or improvement) as far as I can tell, so, either way, you should be fine with newer or older firmware.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My firmware is the original firmware when the TV first was introduced so I am hoping that there is some improvement since it's release. I just wasn't sure which would be the best firmware to upgrade as I can only find the 2 mentioned above currently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey guys. Why is my dolby digital greyed out in the digital audio out menu? Only PCM and DTS Neo is available. Tv is connected to a pioneer receiver. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have the 51" model of the f8500 and have loved it over the years. A while back the TV developed vertical lines on the left and right sides of the screen (see attached images).

Anyone have some insight as to what might be going on? I'm comfortable replacing parts but have no idea how to troubleshoot this thing.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

**edit: sorry, I just noticed that one image is upside down, no clue how that happened.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Anyone of you guys who has calibrated your plasma with HCFR? any recommendation what "standard" to calibrate to? Zoyd's HDTV(OPT-Plasma) or HDTV - Rec 709 or HDTV - Rec 709(75%/75%) ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi.
watching The Matrix on IFC. TV shows the input jumping between 1080 and 24P. Why does this happen, and how do I stop it?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Anyone of you guys who has calibrated your plasma with HCFR? any recommendation what "standard" to calibrate to? Zoyd's HDTV(OPT-Plasma) or HDTV - Rec 709 or HDTV - Rec 709(75%/75%) ?
Preferences:

HDTV Rec 709 (not the others)
Gamma 2.2
Display Gamma Power law
Uncheck Override Black

Messures:

Generator: Windows Size 10% not 100%
Parameters: 10 Greyscale, Color Saturation: 5

That should be the basics..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone.

I have the 51" model of the f8500 and have loved it over the years. A while back the TV developed vertical lines on the left and right sides of the screen (see attached images).

Anyone have some insight as to what might be going on? I'm comfortable replacing parts but have no idea how to troubleshoot this thing.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

**edit: sorry, I just noticed that one image is upside down, no clue how that happened.
This is a known issue with the Samsung plasmas. If you live in California there is a lawsuit moving through the courts regarding this issue for all Samsung plasma sets. You might want to hold onto that unit. You can DM for further information about the lawsuit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever come across the F8500 leaking some kind of greasy "stuff" for lack of any better term from the back of the TV Just came across today.
TV about 7 years old with 13000 hours last check.
Not sure if it is an issue or maybe just some adhesive melting from around this area due to heat.
Apart from this,TV in good working order!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Has anyone ever come across the F8500 leaking some kind of greasy "stuff" for lack of any better term from the back of the TV Just came across today.
TV about 7 years old with 13000 hours last check.
Not sure if it is an issue or maybe just some adhesive melting from around this area due to heat.
Apart from this,TV in good working order!
No knowledge of this to offer, but the back cover is not hard to remove and reattach (just be careful not to drop screws and have them get lost in the carpet or go skittering away somewhere). I'd be tempted to take the cover off to see what's been going on in there. Especially since, if my memory is correct, the back cover is not in contact with anything inside the TV, and is not adhered to anything, so this doesn't seem like something that should happen.

When I sold my 64F8500 about 18 months ago, it had a lot more than 13000 hours, and had nothing like that going on.

In a way I'm thankful that Samsung did not inflict upon us the fans that plagued Panasonic owners, leading them to do things like retrofit chunks of foam inside their TVs to dampen the fan noise. But these units get way, way too hot inside. You're lucky not to have suffered Y-Sustain board failure yet, due to three ceramic capacitors that are not up to dealing with the heat inside.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Always hit google with such issues..

I found similar reports of other tv models.. but nobody opened the tv to look inside..

People where still wondering years later what the problem is.. But the tv where still working fine..

Personally I would instantly open the tv and look for the source of the leakage.. Could be some caps, cooling paste, glue that melted..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Opened it up, here are some images of what I found but nothing obvious to what it might be coming from....
Seems to be mainly in 2 places.
1:Around a small foam bad that backs onto a black metal plate of some sort (this seems to be then dripping down to the ports) - this on on the PCB on the bottom left at the back of the TV.
2: Behind / at bottom of PCB board at top left of TV.

Only thing I can think of is that a cap is leaking this oily fluid? None that I can see show signs of bulging or corrosion. But it is on the PCD it's self in several places.

Attachments

14621 - 14640 of 14670 Posts