AVS Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 14670 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Glad I found your post. The build date for my TV is also March 2013 and I purchased it from BB on Sept 2. I am also concern that my TV is also a return/ refurbished because I noticed that the box's original tape was already cut open and there was another tape on top of it to seal the box. Did you notice the same thing on yours too? I don't know, maybe I am just over worried about this, maybe they did some quality check in BB before they delivered it to us??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burleyhotel11  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23737053

Have the 8500 for one week. My concern is the build date of March 2013. Purchase from BB on Sept, 1 so they had this one for awhile. Does not look like a return. Contacted Samsung to find out if there was a previous service issue. Nothing. So far here is my experience with this TV:

Screen is just as reflective as my 8 year old Toshiba. Room is not that bright. Can see lamp and paintings with light coming in through french doors on left side and behind my back.

Watching local NBC last night. See a black thin dotted line across the very top and bottom of picture. Adjust position of picture - nothing. Change picture size - more visible depending on size - 16:9, screen fit, wide, etc. Ran some D-Nice slides and did not see lines.

Some sound drop during normal viewing.

Directv box connected to TV via HDMI. Have not tries a DVD. Using my Sony PS3 as player.

Good test today. Sunday football!!!

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattduke1  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23739279

I just downloaded a new update. This is software version 1112.
Same here, it must have just been uploaded. I hope it fixes 3D brightness pops when not on cinema smooth.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I think the 3D brightness pops are fixed with the new (1112) firmware. I played a number of 3D short movies, and didn't see one pop in them. Someone else please verify this. Thanks....

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23739294

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattduke1  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23739279

I just downloaded a new update. This is software version 1112.
Same here, it must have just been uploaded. I hope it fixes 3D brightness pops when not on cinema smooth.

From what I found, the brightness pops were alleviated with 1111.4. But I had to unplug the set for 30 seconds after installing 1111.4 before it took effect.

I DL'ed it and installed it, then tested Prometheus 3D from the opening scene till the Engineer falls and there were brightness pops all over the place. I initiated an online chat with a Samsung tech and was advised to unplug the power cord for 30 seconds. Didn't think it would do anything but after doing that, no more brightness pops when I played the same scenes from P 3d.

Didn't see any while watching Star Trek Into Darkness 3D either.

Max

P.S. I never use Cinema Smooth. I always have MJC set to Smooth after testing some scenes off the Spears & Munsil disc. There's too much image blurring and smearing with any other settings and I hate 24p judder.

If the EVO kit can eliminate the haloing and other motion artifacts with MJC on Smooth, I'll get one.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23739631

I think the 3D brightness pops are fixed with the new (1112) firmware. I played a number of 3D short movies, and didn't see one pop in them. Someone else please verify this. Thanks....
I'll rewatch scenes from Avatar and Star Trek Into Darkness the next couple days and get back to everyone.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Well hopefully this will fix the YouTube pairing bug that 1111 introduced. Too bad idiot Samsung doesn't tell us what these mystery updates are doing.

·
Banned
1,899 Posts
It would be really good data to see if anyone with a calibrated set notices any visual differences after installing 1111/1112.

Please report anything you notice whoever installs it.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23739892

Well hopefully this will fix the YouTube pairing bug that 1111 introduced. Too bad idiot Samsung doesn't tell us what these mystery updates are doing.
Ah crap!! Is that when it got introduced? I spent over a half an hour last night trying to get my youtube app to pair with my 8500 to no avail. (Well the pairing takes place, and the app says the tv is connected, but the tv doesn't switch). I thought the problem was the new youtube app update I downloaded a couple weeks back. Didn't think it would be the tv creating the problem. I'm using 1112 fw right now. I was able to use the Samsung TV VideoBrowser iPad app to watch youtube videos on the 8500 last night....but I don't think that involves a pairing to be initiated..I think it's dlna....

·
Registered
322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23739933

It would be really good data to see if anyone with a calibrated set notices any visual differences after installing 1111/1112.

Please report anything you notice whoever installs it.

I haven't noticed any yet but only after brief viewing and I have 1112 loaded with your calibrations. Im not as picky as I used to be so, maybe I dont notice anything anymore

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1620#post_23736773

You must have a defective set, mine doesn't have any noticeable screen buzz when sitting at a normal distance. All plasma's do buzz if you get close enough to hear it. It sounds like you need an LED or LCD or give another 8500 a try since it might be your panel is defective.

TX for the reply!

Tech just left (a likeable & seemingly honest fellow)

his SPL meter read 41dbs for the buzz noise

"within Samsung specs" he stated !!!!!!!! That is SHAMEFULL FOR SAMSUNG !!!!

He also actually stated that my set was pretty quite compared to most 50" or larger plasmas he does service calls for!!

When the AV shop I bought it from gets in their new stock of these in a few weeks

- I can/will switch it out for a quieter one - if such a one exists

In the meantime, I will mount it higher up via the stand mount & see if the buzz is directed over the seating position (as some have stated)

Currently, the TV stand puts middle of screen in line with seated ear level

Oh yeah - I disabled the judder correction to OFF - that solved that object smear/stutter issue!!

The Bluetooth Keyboard VG-KBD2000 works perfectly with this set - had to futz around a bit then it paired successfully !! FS & BB have limited numbers of them still in stock at reduced prices (Samsung has discontinued them) Glad I was able to get one!! - makes things a lot easier
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/tv-accessories/VG-KBD2000/ZA?subsubtype=others

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hi people, it's been a while since I've posted over here, just wondered if anyone is suffering from IR? Mine seems to be getting worse it has a dark mix of TV logos in the top right corner (sky and Eurosport mainly) that won't shift fully, not bad and only noticeable on white backgrounds but still annoying. Is this the price we're going to pay for a bright TV? I have my settings quite high too, Standard mode, cell 18, brightness 80 and my set has nearly 1400 hrs on it now.

Other than that it's still a fantastic set apart from a bit of minor banding

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Doug I know this is of no relief. But what he is talking about is being below Resident Ambient Noise level which is 40 db.

Some others that may be of interest to you are :

Avg Conversation 65DB

Quiet Whisper at 5 Feet 25DB

Where did he take his read ? Right against the TV or out a ways. If it was close to the TV 41DB may be acceptable , but if it was 10 ft away not acceptable in my lifetime. This is where I would go with the conversation. Also remember those SPL meter's pick up DB reading from everywhere, Cars, AC Units, Refrigerators, all kinds of things.

I also Love the Bluetooth Keyboard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry if I could not find the answer - but how do you find hours of usage? Samsung chat says it is not available. Must get into service menu? Where?

The reason why is I just purchased 8500 on September 1 and the build date is March. BB had this one in the warehouse for awhile. Don't trust them.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burleyhotel11  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1600_100#post_23741834

Sorry if I could not find the answer - but how do you find hours of usage? Samsung chat says it is not available. Must get into service menu? Where?

The reason why is I just purchased 8500 on September 1 and the build date is March. BB had this one in the warehouse for awhile. Don't trust them.

Thanks for the help.

Press mute,7,3,7,enter. MRT is your hours

·
Registered
618 Posts
They all buzz, different pitch but all of them, Amazon sent me 3 units and all buzzed (different build dates) and I checked one in Best Buy. Samsung tech told me they all buzz but many people do not hear that frequency since this is a higher freq than typical plasma buzz. Tech also told me that their rule is, unless TV does not power up, it is pretty much "within spec". At least yours arrived with SPL meter, the one that came on my appointment just sat on the sofa playing with the remote and said definitely hear it loud and clear but "I have to write the order up within spec" and he did, after that I called Samsung and explained to them the situation but they sent me packing saying that "tech deemed TV within spec and we will not be doing anything about it". I guess if you want Samsung to accept it you need to hire independent evaluation and then legal way or highway, sadly. Keeping attorneys employed is always a good thing
I am teaching myself to live with the buzz, it is actually getting louder with 800 hours on the set, but at least pink bands have not showed up yet, like other are reporting. The two sets that I got as replacements were both with pinkish bands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougofthenorth  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1650#post_23741258

TX for the reply!

Tech just left (a likeable & seemingly honest fellow)

his SPL meter read 41dbs for the buzz noise

"within Samsung specs" he stated !!!!!!!! That is SHAMEFULL FOR SAMSUNG !!!!

He also actually stated that my set was pretty quite compared to most 50" or larger plasmas he does service calls for!!

When the AV shop I bought it from gets in their new stock of these in a few weeks

- I can/will switch it out for a quieter one - if such a one exists

In the meantime, I will mount it higher up via the stand mount & see if the buzz is directed over the seating position (as some have stated)

Currently, the TV stand puts middle of screen in line with seated ear level

Oh yeah - I disabled the judder correction to OFF - that solved that object smear/stutter issue!!

The Bluetooth Keyboard VG-KBD2000 works perfectly with this set - had to futz around a bit then it paired successfully !! FS & BB have limited numbers of them still in stock at reduced prices (Samsung has discontinued them) Glad I was able to get one!! - makes things a lot easier
http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/tv-accessories/VG-KBD2000/ZA?subsubtype=others

·
Registered
618 Posts
Can you pls confirm if white slides are cleaning IR or is it already a burn-in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenaman  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1650#post_23741703

Hi people, it's been a while since I've posted over here, just wondered if anyone is suffering from IR? Mine seems to be getting worse it has a dark mix of TV logos in the top right corner (sky and Eurosport mainly) that won't shift fully, not bad and only noticeable on white backgrounds but still annoying. Is this the price we're going to pay for a bright TV? I have my settings quite high too, Standard mode, cell 18, brightness 80 and my set has nearly 1400 hrs on it now.

Other than that it's still a fantastic set apart from a bit of minor banding

·
Registered
463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz  /t/1475066/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-owners-thread-no-street-price-talk/1600_100#post_23741883

Can you pls confirm if white slides are cleaning IR or is it already a burn-in?

I've used the scroll feature on the set, static interference screens on you tube and white screens for a couple of hours at a time. It's helping and almost shifts it but I've been watching a bit of football and golf on Sky Sports HD and the logo stays there. I don't think it's burnt in and could maybe try cleaning a bit longer or stay off the sports channels for a while but it annoys me that we have to mess about like this.

1641 - 1660 of 14670 Posts