AVS Forum banner

2321 - 2340 of 13201 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194046

The VT60 has pops too? I haven't heard that. Where did you read that?
Here is a quote from the review of the VT65. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs

Not 100% sure this is the same as brightness pops. Here is the link to the full review.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV_507/Review.html

After reading some of the recent posts about lowering the contrast I decided to test my setting. It was at 95 so I reduced it to 85 and played the clip from the video I posted on You Tube. Brightness pops completely eliminated. Tested 86 and higher and they are there again. Although they are definitely not as noticeable between 86-90. I have not changed my cell light and that is set at 20. I am curious how well the set will calibrate with contrast of 85.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194286

Here is a quote from the review of the VT65. The only other quibble some might have, is with detecting flicker in brighter scenes. We could see none at ‘Low’ Panel Luminance, a little with ‘Mid’ and lots with ‘High’ but there’s a huge element of personal tolerance at play here so, as ever, we’d advise a demo to make sure you’re not one of the unlucky few that does see it with Panasonic Plasma TVs

Not 100% sure this is the same as brightness pops. Here is the link to the full review.
http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Panasonic-VT65-VT60-TX-P55VT65B-P50VT65B-P65VT65B-3D-Plasma-TV_507/Review.html

After reading some of the recent posts about lowering the contrast I decided to test my setting. It was at 95 so I reduced it to 85 and played the clip from the video I posted on You Tube. Brightness pops completely eliminated. Tested 86 and higher and they are there again. Although they are definitely not as noticeable between 86-90. I have not changed my cell light and that is set at 20. I am curious how well the set will calibrate with contrast of 85.

It's not the same thing. Anyone with a Panasonic plasma in the recent years knows that they tend to flicker more than other displays when viewing bright content. The flicker is not obviously seen, but viewers may feel a constant "pulsing" or strobing effect. It's not the same as a brightness pop. And the reviewer is correct in that there is a huge element of personal tolerance at play here.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaman  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194286

[snip]

The D and E series calibrated fine with Contrast settings at 85 or greater. The 10 point grayscale/gamma controls all were available at this setting. Color gamut calibration also was a snap. I expect the F series to behave the same -- don't overlook my word 'expect'.

Larry

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2250#post_23193220

You have 51 inch. From what I have noticed as a trend is it is not that bad for people who own the

51" however, it is a different story for the 64".

51" here also and no pop issues, I'm curious is this the case for all 51"??

Any 51" owners having pops and fluctuations?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194333

The D and E series calibrated fine with Contrast settings at 85 or greater. The 10 point grayscale/gamma controls all were available at this setting. Color gamut calibration also was a snap. I expect the F series to behave the same -- don't overlook my word 'expect'.

Larry

Thats great it will be good.........

Wait you said expect

So we now have to levels 75 and 85.........

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194352

51" here also and no pop issues, I'm curious is this the case for all 51"??

Any 51" owners having pops and fluctuations?

51" seem to be less effected by this, most of the reports are from people with the 60 or 64......

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2220#post_23193127

ok back to hockey, i THINK i saw one oh so VERY subtle fluctuation decrease. sorry for the ones who have bigger pop issues..... my cell light 20, contast 95, bright 47, movie mode with all others at kevin millers settings... and in a dark rm environment

That's Millers cal-day settings, cell 20, contrast 95, brightness 46 (your 47 is the only thing different). Did you use movie or cal-day for 10ptwhite.

I'm going to try both 10ptwhitebalance's settings with that and see which is better, because I had those settings your using (except for gamma at -2) and put gamma to 0 & Iam watching the ice and basically not seeing any pops... whatever works.

I think were always going to see camera flashes/strobes, but this might be good setting for pops. I need to watch for longer time to get a bigger sample...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2330_10#post_23194598

That's Millers cal-day settings, cell 20, contrast 95, brightness 46 (your 47 is the only thing different). Did you use movie or cal-day for 10ptwhite.

I'm going to try both 10ptwhitebalance's settings with that and see which is better, because I had those settings your using (except for gamma at -2) and put gamma to 0 & Iam watching the ice and basically not seeing any pops... whatever works.

I think were always going to see camera flashes/strobes, but this might be good setting for pops. I need to watch for longer time to get a bigger sample...

although my tv is 51", yes used all millers movie mode settings incld 10p wht bal.... without looking i think bright 47 was same as his. and gamma at 0. actually think i have on warm 1 which i know his is warm 2. only other diff setting i had was blk optimizer on dark rm. oh and i did change cell light back to 16 after experimenting with 20 for the first half hour, no difference all still good. early in the college game there was almost no one in audience using cameras... was nice not to have to watch those flashes!! noticed more camera flashes as game went on. other than that i really didnt notice anything like what others are reporting. just watched a snowboard movie on netflicks and no pops or fluctuations of any kind! needless to say i'm very happy!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I mentioned this a day ago or so on post 2110, but it didnt fix it then just made it way better... Now (with different settings of gamma0 & warm2) it works @74.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2100#post_23189494

I'm watching the hockey game. 64 inch directv movie mode. Brightness fluctuations all over the place. I never notice it dim.... Just get brighter... Is that normal??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson ------  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2100#post_23189704

What your cell at?

Try this adjustment and see if it helps any

cell 20

brightness 30 (or turn down contrast 95 down to 75 instead)

gamma -2

warm-1

I saw less with these things lowered. (I also lowered color 50 to 45)(colors are strong on this one)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2100#post_23189737

Helped but still pretty pronounced. Thanks though
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryInRI  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2130#post_23190011

Because this set is so bright (peak white output) that it has to be tamed for viewing in a dark environment. There are two ways to do this. First you can reduce Contrast but this shifts the 10 point white balance points and makes calibration more difficult (if at all possible) and time consuming. Second you can reduce the Cell light but this lowers the threshold where the ABL circuit kicks in.

Larry

How do we get this accurate, with the contrast at/around 74...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinger  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2130#post_23190094

+1

No difference with my setup or either cal day or night, tried many combos of cell, gamma, brightness..

BUT found Robinson's combo worked best in reducing the issue (that was in Standard mode)..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2250#post_23193270

Yes!!! We have agreement! Same thing for me....i started seeing the fluctuations with contrast set to 75 or higher! Nice!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2250#post_23193361

Okay!! That's three owners now that can confirm this!! Anyone else??

Beauty Clark.

Yes here too. Ive been watching ice for a good 10min and no pops. Can you list your entire setting list, I want to compare it with the one I have now and the one I did a few days ago where I tried the contrast at 75. There might be a combo of settings that fix this and I dont want to lose it.

Thanks, eh.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23193736

Whew! Am I glad you came to your senses. For a while there I thought I was going to have to go down the rabbit hole after you to rescue you. I was thinking; what would be the point in paying more for a TV that offers a far brighter Plasma picture than ever before, if one could not use that brightness range?!

I would only have contrast at 74 for the ice-pops. It stays on 95 for everything else.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194632

although my tv is 51", yes used all millers movie mode settings incld 10p wht bal.... without looking i think bright 47 was same as his. and gamma at 0. actually think i have on warm 1 which i know his is warm 2. only other diff setting i had was blk optimizer on dark rm. oh and i did change cell light back to 16 after experimenting with 20 for the first half hour, no difference all still good. early in the college game there was almost no one in audience using cameras... was nice not to have to watch those flashes!! noticed more camera flashes as game went on. other than that i really didnt notice anything like what others are reporting. just watched a snowboard movie on netflicks and no pops or fluctuations of any kind! needless to say i'm very happy!!

Yea, I meant that he has 46 in his cal-day mode & that your custom settings were actually pretty much the same as his cal-day mode ones (because of the [email protected]). Thats why I asked about what else you had... Cool, I am very happy now too because with your settings combined with mine it really helps the pops. I am stoaked that I got it tweaked to have deep quality colors.

I did post a couple days ago about trying contrast to 95 to 75 when a few of us were doing a ice-pops experiment. It made it better, but not fixed. Now there are some guys that tried the 75 with other settings combo and it did fix the pops/or you just cant see them due to lower contrast. Good job guys.

So, Im glad theres 2 options to use that are good (one for ice with no pops & the normal I ll use for everything else). It would be also be nice if/when Samsung fix pops with firmware.

Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2310#post_23194632

I'm curious you have the 51" and your using miller's 64" cal settings and you like the pq?? Myself and pie setup our 51" using his cal day & night settings and really didn't like the picture, we both wrote it off to what worked on the 64s doesn't work for our 51s...

PS: thrilled to hear the guys with 64" got a handle on the brightness issues, although it just proves bigger isn't always better

·
Registered
296 Posts
I discovered yet another anomaly on my 64F8500. When I watch a movie with the Fios source and it is in letterbox you can clearly see the tint on the black bars fluctuate between black and grey. I have never seen this on a plasma tv. I have my black optimizer set to dark room. Has anyone else noticed this on a cable source or a satellite source? This might be the deal breaker for me. Fluctuating black levels aren't acceptable.

·
Registered
296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2340#post_23194950

That's been discussed quite a bit already , black level floats with black optimizer on.
I have also turned the black optimizer off and observed the same issue.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
I made a short APL ramp with a center 10% area window fixed at 100% that you can play from a usb drive. You'll see two timings, the first lasts about 2 seconds and the second 4 seconds, each repeated 3 times. The longer one you'll notice the stepping but see if you can pick out any anomalous jumps in the center window brightness.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakis  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2340#post_23194752

Does anyone know if the screen turns off when the picture goes black? Can this be disabled? It was very annoying in 64E8000

I believe this setting is within the ECO modes, make sure all of the ECO mode settings are OFF and tht should fix it for you....

·
Registered
678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoyd  /t/1463454/official-samsung-pnxxf8500-series-discussion-thread-no-street-price-talk/2340#post_23194950

That's been discussed quite a bit already , black level floats with black optimizer on.

+1

Speaking of black bars I have to note IR is a NON-issue with my 51F8500, after watching Inglorious Bastards on TNT which ran the static logo throughout the movie then after it was over I went to the wiper to see if the logo was there quite faintly but after 5 swipes (20 seconds) it was gone, also watched Dark Knight last night with bars on top & bottom and again when it was over went straight;) to the wiper and this time there was nothing, no need to even run the wiper..

My two biggest concerns with going to plasma was buzz and IR and happy to say I have absolutely no buzz and IR isn't a issue..

Note: I have broken this TV in for over 120 hours before trying either static logo or bars for a full movie..

Also have not seen one instance of black bars fluctuating, 51" here and Black Optimizer is set to Dark Room..

2321 - 2340 of 13201 Posts