AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Much credit to Mark Henniger's review that got everyone talking about the new Samsung UST projectors, but we have to scroll past the entire review each time we use that thread :)
To catch everyone up, here are some of the biggest details from 26 pages of the review thread.
Mark Henninger’s Samsung The Premiere LSP9T 4K UST Projector Review

The Tech Aeris Review

The official manual from Samsung

Logitech Harmony Remote - Add device Samsung QN75Q90T for all features including direct input selection.

The key spec differences between the LSP9T and the LSP7T (very different approach to light source)

Throw distance charts

There was also a key video contribution from ProjectionHead with ambient light examples.

I will be receiving mine on Friday with a Grandview Dynamique 120" screen soon after.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, folks. Below is copied from my post earlier in the comments of Mark's review.

Ok, this has been an emotional roller coaster. I received my LSP9T unit mid day yesterday, and late last night I packed it up to return to Samsung. This is due only to the rainbow effect. I'm on an Elite 120" CLR (not CLR2) screen. I don't "calibrate" my TV's (OLEDs) or projectors, per se, but I do spend a lot of time tweaking to my liking and getting familiar with how each setting affects the image. Firmware up to date. Quick summary of my thoughts overall:

Pros:
  • Absolutely stunning (to my eyes) picture. This cannot be overstated. Contrast, light output, colors, black levels, motion, focus clarity, were all jaw dropping. Focus was RAZOR sharp, and extremely uniform (I compared on several games, and an internet browser for text). I only made a minor focus adjustment out of the box, and it honestly looks as sharp as a giant television. I did not use any software driven geometry correction for aligning the picture.
  • Gaming was fine. I played a variety of games. Horizon Zero Dawn, Overwatch, Street Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 5, Apex Legends, Mega Man X. Gaming mode enabled automatically (at least with the PS4 Pro), and input lag was noticeble if I really concentrated, but didn't hinder gameplay. I spent the most time with Overwatch, which is a very fast game. All game content, both HDR and SDR, looked incredible.
  • Sound. The integrated sound bar is decently punchy, full, and clear for being what it is.
  • Aesthetics. I quite like the look of the projector. Wish it came in black, though.

Cons:
  • Rainbow Effect. This was devastating. Yes, if you're sensitive to RBE, it will be visible on this machine. I knew I was sensitive to it, but was hoping that with the three lasers (instead of a color wheel), that it'd be acceptable. It was not. My fiancee was blown away by the picture quality, but when she saw the rainbow effect, she just exclaimed "Oh no." This is the ONLY reason I am returning this projector.
  • Image controls. Not as much control as I'd like to see, as can be found on an LG OLED or Epson projector, for example. No direct light output control.
  • Laser speckle. I only had a rough idea of what this actually was, until I saw it. As has been noted before, it's more noticeable the closer you get to the screen. It can still be seen, if you're looking for it, at normal viewing distance, but it was totally fine for me. Wasn't a big deal, honestly.
  • Light leak. Some noticeable light leak outside of the viewable area, but was never a distraction.
  • Audio connection issues. The audio (via its integrated soundbar) fairly frequently would stop working, and often required me to switch a few times between sources before it returned.
  • Input lag. Even in game mode, might still be a little much for some FPS gamers, particularly on PC.

Well, hopefully this is helpful to someone. If you're not sensitive to the RBE, or don't care, I can't possibly see anyone being disappointed with this. It's truly impressive, otherwise. I'm really bummed . . .

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Much like DLP rainbow, I don’t even want to try to see it. Once your brain perceives an issue it’s very difficult to let it go. Ignorance is bliss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. I’m ignorantly blissful of RBE, but not screen sparklies and if laser speckle is anything like that, I wouldn’t be able to tolerate that.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Hi, folks. Below is copied from my post earlier in the comments of Mark's review.

Ok, this has been an emotional roller coaster. I received my LSP9T unit mid day yesterday, and late last night I packed it up to return to Samsung. This is due only to the rainbow effect. I'm on an Elite 120" CLR (not CLR2) screen. I don't "calibrate" my TV's (OLEDs) or projectors, per se, but I do spend a lot of time tweaking to my liking and getting familiar with how each setting affects the image. Firmware up to date. Quick summary of my thoughts overall:

Pros:
  • Absolutely stunning (to my eyes) picture. This cannot be overstated. Contrast, light output, colors, black levels, motion, focus clarity, were all jaw dropping. Focus was RAZOR sharp, and extremely uniform (I compared on several games, and an internet browser for text). I only made a minor focus adjustment out of the box, and it honestly looks as sharp as a giant television. I did not use any software driven geometry correction for aligning the picture.
  • Gaming was fine. I played a variety of games. Horizon Zero Dawn, Overwatch, Street Fighter 5, Devil May Cry 5, Apex Legends, Mega Man X. Gaming mode enabled automatically (at least with the PS4 Pro), and input lag was noticeble if I really concentrated, but didn't hinder gameplay. I spent the most time with Overwatch, which is a very fast game. All game content, both HDR and SDR, looked incredible.
  • Sound. The integrated sound bar is decently punchy, full, and clear for being what it is.
  • Aesthetics. I quite like the look of the projector. Wish it came in black, though.

Cons:
  • Rainbow Effect. This was devastating. Yes, if you're sensitive to RBE, it will be visible on this machine. I knew I was sensitive to it, but was hoping that with the three lasers (instead of a color wheel), that it'd be acceptable. It was not. My fiancee was blown away by the picture quality, but when she saw the rainbow effect, she just exclaimed "Oh no." This is the ONLY reason am returning this projector.
  • Image controls. Not as much control as I'd like to see, as can be found on an LG OLED or Epson projector, for example. No direct light output control.
  • Laser speckle. I only had a rough idea of what this actually was, until I saw it. As has been noted before, it's more noticeable the closer you get to the screen. It can still be seen, if you're looking for it, at normal viewing distance, but it was totally fine for me. Wasn't a big deal, honestly.
  • Light leak. Some noticeable light leak outside of the viewable area, but was never a distraction.
  • Audio connection issues. The audio (via its integrated soundbar) fairly frequently would stop working, and often required me to switch a few times between sources before it returned.
  • Input lag. Even in game mode, might still be a little much for some FPS gamers, particularly on PC.

Well, hopefully this is helpful to someone. If you're not sensitive to the RBE, or don't care, I can't possibly see anyone being disappointed with this. It's truly impressive, otherwise. I'm really bummed . . .
May I ask in regards to black levels, what would you compare them to? When you say jaw dropping, are you saying JVC level black levels, or OLED? Lol Is that with a completely black scene, or a mixed but mostly dark scene for example?

thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the last post I made on the other thread...

jeffp021 said:
Currently Using Wall for projecting Image(painted with high quality projector paint 5 years ago). My better half is not too keen on a huge screen mounted to wall visible all the time in family room, and currently enjoys the painted wall setup. I NEED an ALR screen but the vivid storm with shipping is adding ANOTHER $2k to this already $6500 investment. Is it worth it?
It's hard to say for your particular setup and not knowing how good or bad the situation is but i do love the floor rising screen. I also use mostly downward projecting light (cans) and this combo seems very worth the money.

I am coming from an Epson 5040ub and a 150" Aeon screen in a significantly light controlled room. This setup absolutely destroys that last setup. I was forcing the Epson to be an LED screen replacement but I prefer the Samsung/VS over the LED TV now. Of course I am paying twice as much for this setup but I think it is more than twice as good.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Cons:
  • Rainbow Effect. This was devastating. Yes, if you're sensitive to RBE, it will be visible on this machine. I knew I was sensitive to it, but was hoping that with the three lasers (instead of a color wheel), that it'd be acceptable. It was not. My fiancee was blown away by the picture quality, but when she saw the rainbow effect, she just exclaimed "Oh no." This is the ONLY reason am returning this projector.
Since the projector uses a single chip the colors are not thrown at the same time. In my review, I noted that I saw RBE on some torture tests. However, since it doesn't use a color wheel, I wonder if Samsung can release firmware that can increase the cycling speed.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
May I ask in regards to black levels, what would you compare them to? When you say jaw dropping, are you saying JVC level black levels, or OLED? Lol Is that with a completely black scene, or a mixed but mostly dark scene for example?

thanks
I would like to know if any consumer owner has measured the contrast. It appears dynamic contrast might always active in the background with SDR content, so I if the brightness goes below a certain level, where does dynamic black kick in.

·
Registered
34 Posts

thanks
I'm not a hardcore projector person, but it looked great to me. I've not seen the JVC in person. And nothing compares to OLED for black levels. But the black levels compared to a mid or higher tier LCD TV, which again to my (amateur) eye looked really good. I went through many different combinations of light/dark content, in both movies and games. I thought it all looked pretty excellent. The CLR screen helps with the perceived black levels, too, I think.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since the projector uses a single chip the colors are not thrown at the same time. In my review, I noted that I saw RBE on some torture tests. However, since it doesn't use a color wheel, I wonder if Samsung can release firmware that can increase the cycling speed.
I wondered the same, about patching how the colors are sequenced on a given pixel. If a patch came out, that'd be great. But I don't want to wait past the return window only to discover a fix isn't coming/possible . . .

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I wondered the same, about patching how the colors are sequenced on a given pixel. If a patch came out, that'd be great. But I don't want to wait past the return window only to discover a fix isn't coming/possible . . .
The funny thing is I thought "Dynamic" mode looked incredible, but that was so bright that it was more RBE prone.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Posted this on the other thread, but guess I should be here.

Just ordered the 9T.

Delivery is scheduled for the 16th. Ordered from Samsung because of their current 100 day trial period. Have an elite screens 100 inch aeon to use with it. Complete light control in the basement. I didn't go with an ALR screen, but that may change when I see what the performance is like with the basement overhead lights at full and at around 50% which is what I expect to to keep them at IF I want to have lights on while using the projector. Don't plan on that happening very often.

Very excited to see what this thing can do.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Just ordered the 9T.

Delivery is scheduled for the 16th. Ordered from Samsung because of their current 100 day trial period. Have an elite screens 100 inch aeon to use with it. Complete light control in the basement. I didn't go with an ALR screen, but that may change when I see what the performance is like with the basement overhead lights at full and at around 50% which is what I expect to to keep them at IF I want to have lights on while using the projector. Don't plan on that happening very often.

thanks for letting us know about the trial. I’m on the fence and did not know about that.

If you’re in a light controlled theater with recessed lights, don’t bother with any image degrading ALR screen. Instead, control the directionality of the lights. I did a combination of things in my room. The cans closest to the screen, I changed the led bulbs to spot instead of flood and added an eyelid trim:

Nora 6" Half Moon Black Wall Wash Trim with Reflector - Lighting Accessories - Amazon.com

For the rest of the lights, I just retrofitted a black baffle to all the flood LED lights. Luckily the LED’s I have, have a black insert option.

The pic below was before I got the eyelids and just had the black baffles. Still a huge difference, and this is with a 110” Studiotek 100, which is the ultimate in picture quality, but the least forgiving with ambient light. Hard to tell, but the room is fully lit, but the screen wall is dark (intentionally). Room is still being worked on:

5C4F91D7-0F59-45A6-9778-78EF9B85BA25.jpeg

·
Registered
369 Posts

Just ordered the 9T.

You do not want a traditional ALR screen with a UST projector. They are designed to reject light off-axis(top, bottom, sides) from the projector and would therefore not work well with a UST projector that is projecting light from the bottom/underneath it. You want a dedicated UST screen(which it looks like you have with the ES Aeon), which will accept the light coming from underneath from the UST projector and reflect it forward to the viewer, but they also “reject” light coming from overhead.

But none of these ALR or CLR screens are magic bullets. The best thing to do is keep any extraneous light not coming from the projector from directly hitting the screen.

·
Registered
218 Posts
thanks for letting us know about the trial. I’m on the fence and did not know about that.

If you’re in a light controlled theater with recessed lights, don’t bother with any image degrading ALR screen. Instead, control the directionality of the lights. I did a combination of things in my room. The cans closest to the screen, I changed the led bulbs to spot instead of flood and added an eyelid trim:

Nora 6" Half Moon Black Wall Wash Trim with Reflector - Lighting Accessories - Amazon.com

For the rest of the lights, I just retrofitted a black baffle to all the flood LED lights. Luckily the LED’s I have, have a black insert option.

The pic below was before I got the eyelids and just had the black baffles. Still a huge difference, and this is with a 110” Studiotek 100, which is the ultimate in picture quality, but the least forgiving with ambient light. Hard to tell, but the room is fully lit, but the screen wall is dark (intentionally). Room is still being worked on:

View attachment 3053374
That looks fantastic. Even with the lighting the way it is. I know it's hard to capture, but looks very good.

You do not want a traditional ALR screen with a UST projector. They are designed to reject light off-axis(top, bottom, sides) from the projector and would therefore not work well with a UST projector that is projecting light from the bottom/underneath it. You want a dedicated UST screen(which it looks like you have with the ES Aeon), which will accept the light coming from underneath from the UST projector and reflect it forward to the viewer, but they also “reject” light coming from overhead.

But none of these ALR or CLR screens are magic bullets. The best thing to do is keep any extraneous light not coming from the projector from directly hitting the screen.
Ah ok. Thanks for the info. This has all been somewhat confusing. Especially trying to take measurements before everything is set up.

I have recessed lighting in the basement and usually there will be no light at all while using the projector. No windows in the movie area either. Let me see if I can post a post a picture of what it currently looks like.

The screen is going on the right where the frame currently is. Sectional is obviously not done yet. There are 4 overhead lights that will usually be off or dimmed significantly.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

View attachment 3053374
Isn't the light show on the ceiling in this image exactly what an ALR screen will avoid?
After dropping $1500 on an ALR would be good to know it's worth doing in a light controlled room?

1 - 20 of 401 Posts