AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 694 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
So I went home last night and checked the projector settings again. Reset the picture completely. Aspect ratio is default at 16:9 which is what my screen is at.

I moved the projector around so that all the boundaries of the focus frame/screen adjustment frame are within the screen borders. I still see a significant amount of light bleed - see image below/attached where you can see that the top portion of the image is at least 1 inch below my screen and I can still see a significant amount of light bleed over it - there is bleed on the side too. I’ll keep playing with the position today View attachment 3075806
I can't say with certainty but it's quite likely your issue is that your screen is not flat. I found that the image will change drastically with the slightest imperfection in the screen. If possible get yourself a large straight edge and check for uniformity across the surface/edges. Likely the center is further in than the edges.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My measurements will be taken on a reference white screen ST130G4 in a bat cave fully covered with triple black velvet, so it’s not a typical environment for UST pjs. But it’s to show the absolute performance of this projector when there is no other light or reflected light.
After that, the screen choice will depend on where I want to use it, my bat cave or my bedroom or my son’s “toy room”, I have not decided yet.
FYI, You will be using that screen out of spec for the LSP9T according to the manufacturer. This should result in brightness uniformity issues as well as an overall brightness decrease due to the screen mismatch. I will be interested to find out what information your measurements provide.

B8511ED2-53AE-42CB-82CD-76EB205C9FF5.jpeg

·
Registered
170 Posts
FYI, You will be using that screen out of spec for the LSP9T according to the manufacturer. This should result in brightness uniformity issues as well as an overall brightness decrease due to the screen mismatch. I will be interested to find out what information your measurements provide.

View attachment 3076518
I am fully aware of all those. The brightness uniformity of st130g4 has been well discussed on AVS over and over because no one actually saw any hot spot effect as it would be suggested by Stewart’s reflection curve. Myself also found it to be surprisingly good in this regard and no observable difference comparing to my other unity gain white screens even at extreme angles. With that being said, I also have a few other white screens and screen samples (including ST100) that I will take measurements on.
Regarding brightness, I will use a NIST certified light meter facing the projector to measure its light output, so nothing to do with the screen.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am fully aware of all those. The brightness uniformity of st130g4 has been well discussed on AVS over and over because no one actually saw any hot spot effect as it would be suggested by Stewart’s reflection curve. Myself also found it to be surprisingly good in this regard and no observable difference comparing to my other unity gain white screens even at extreme angles. With that being said, I also have a few other white screens and screen samples (including ST100) that I will take measurements on.
Regarding brightness, I will use a NIST certified light meter facing the projector to measure its light output, so nothing to do with the screen.
Doubt you would see much hotspotting since the angle of incidence will range between 50 and 80 degrees. That should keep the gain between 0.8-0.65 based on the curve published by Stewart. You will most likely see a loss of about 40% of the brightness off the screen from a similar lumen output long throw projector. There could be more dimming in the upper corners, but whether or not it is visible to the eye, I don’t know. The comparison with the 100 will be interesting to see, as that screen is lambertIan and should be unaffected by the throw ratio.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what screen are you using? I’m planning on getting this projector and using it with a 140” screen, the only one I can find is this X-Y one...

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Someone had mentioned the EluneVision Reference 8K UST screens back on the review thread, and it looks like they have 135" & 150" options. Are they just first to the party, or are the results not appealing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I discovered an improvement in the latest firmware: No more skipping with Bluetooth headphones.
On the original firmware the audio would cut out every few minutes over Bluetooth. If anyone has this issue I'd recommend updating.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Someone had mentioned the EluneVision Reference 8K UST screens back on the review thread, and it looks like they have 135" & 150" options. Are they just first to the party, or are the results not appealing?
The Aurora is a higher quality screen. Here is a video comparison.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Aurora has a higher ALR rate (89% vs. 79%,) which is why I find it odd the reference looked better (less washed-out) with ambient light in the video, higher gain, and better viewing angle, but if you want to go above 120" or need a motorized screen then it isn't available (outside of going custom, anyway.) However, not using the same projector could have also been a factor in the video comparison.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found another review that published and shared some Calman measurement findings : Review: Samsung LSP9T UST projector with impressive specs (allhomecinema.com). All image rights are property of the original creators and attribution is to the link above.

"The lasers of the Samsung LSP9T UST projector also provide a first in our test room. The maximum color gamut clocked in at 95% Rec.2020, thanks to the lasers’ almost monospectral colors. The red really blew us off our socks. That is really an impressive achievement, but to be fair, it is of course not much use. Content that uses that color range is virtually non-existent. The projector does cover DCI-P3 nicely, the meter pointed 90% to that, although you will hit even higher with a better calibration."

Again another source reporting color gamut performance below the 100%+ claims it is marketed as having
Samsung-LSP9T-11.jpg
Samsung-LSP9T-10.jpg
In regards to CA, RBE, and Speckle they found
"
After all the corrections, we notice that the projector does not perfectly align the three main colors. This is normally impossible with single-chip DLP models, and we only see this with LCD models (which use a separate LCD chip for each color). It is therefore probably a chromatic aberration in the lens. Fortunately, the effect is very small, smaller than a pixel, and we never noticed it during our usual test material.

This laser projector does not use a laser-phosphor combination, but uses three lasers (one for red, green and blue). A color wheel is therefore superfluous, which partly explains its silent functioning. Yet you can also see a rainbow effect on this projector. Yes, there is no color wheel, but the projector still has to project a red, green and blue image one after the other. After all, there is only one DLP chip. In practice, we could only see this if we looked at the screen from the corner of the eye, and not on all images. But who is sensitive to it must take it into account.

“Laser speckle”, that typical effect that laser light shows some kind of tiny stars, is also visible, but only when you stand within a meter of the screen. At a normal viewing distance, we had no problems with it."

As @cinehomede noted in their review it would seem a highly skilled and experienced calibrator would be an essential requirement to get this project to perform to the Samsung marketed capabilities.

HTH

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found another review that published and shared some Calman measurement findings : Review: Samsung LSP9T UST projector with impressive specs (allhomecinema.com). All image rights are property of the original creators and attribution is to the link above.

"The lasers of the Samsung LSP9T UST projector also provide a first in our test room. The maximum color gamut clocked in at 95% Rec.2020, thanks to the lasers’ almost monospectral colors. The red really blew us off our socks. That is really an impressive achievement, but to be fair, it is of course not much use. Content that uses that color range is virtually non-existent. The projector does cover DCI-P3 nicely, the meter pointed 90% to that, although you will hit even higher with a better calibration."

Again another source reporting color gamut performance below the 100%+ claims it is marketed as having View attachment 3076821 View attachment 3076823 .
In regards to CA, RBE, and Speckle they found
"
After all the corrections, we notice that the projector does not perfectly align the three main colors. This is normally impossible with single-chip DLP models, and we only see this with LCD models (which use a separate LCD chip for each color). It is therefore probably a chromatic aberration in the lens. Fortunately, the effect is very small, smaller than a pixel, and we never noticed it during our usual test material.

This laser projector does not use a laser-phosphor combination, but uses three lasers (one for red, green and blue). A color wheel is therefore superfluous, which partly explains its silent functioning. Yet you can also see a rainbow effect on this projector. Yes, there is no color wheel, but the projector still has to project a red, green and blue image one after the other. After all, there is only one DLP chip. In practice, we could only see this if we looked at the screen from the corner of the eye, and not on all images. But who is sensitive to it must take it into account.

“Laser speckle”, that typical effect that laser light shows some kind of tiny stars, is also visible, but only when you stand within a meter of the screen. At a normal viewing distance, we had no problems with it."

As @cinehomede noted in their review it would seem a highly skilled and experienced calibrator would be an essential requirement to get this project to perform to the Samsung marketed capabilities.

HTH
How does one get this professionally calibrated for someone with no experience in calibrating? Is there a program or something we can use?

·
Registered
15 Posts
How does one get this professionally calibrated for someone with no experience in calibrating? Is there a program or something we can use?
I'm in the same boat this is my first PJ so I'm still trying to figure a lot of this out and learn as I go. Hopefully some of the other more experienced folks will share their wisdom.
I have opensource display cal and a spyder elite but I'm struggling with getting beyond "color profiles" and actually getting it to calibrate or provide values to get the display calibrated. I've just done some initial tinkering with it though as I'm still waiting on my screen to arrive.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Not sure what to think here. Certainly not scientific but I'm not see how the image in this video is any better than say what I'm getting on my EliteScreens AEON CLR 120. The entire video is completely non-scientific. It's interesting but doesn't do anything to really compare the quality of the screens.

In any case after seeing that and seeing what I'm getting in my room (with ambient light even) I am glad I didn't spend that kind of money (ie the 3500 bucks) on a screen.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
But it looks like I found a big issue with Rec2020 video processing. I did the tests Spears and Munsil's HD 4K call HSV Sweep BT.2020 and HSV Sweep P3D65/BT.2020plus Quantization Rotate. Look at the pictures!! ! Top right photo looks fine, but the color space is BT.709.
Above are HSV Sweep BT.2020. Below HSV Sweep P3D65/BT.2020.

Look at the dark blue line. It has to be a smooth color transition. You can spot the same dark line in a Cr

641 - 660 of 694 Posts