AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 967 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My projector makes a very loud, uncomfortable operating noise. It makes a fairly high pitched sound.

I measure (with the Iphone) at least 42 Db directly on the device.

Is this volume normal?

My second Samsung unit in house does have the same unpleasent operating noise as you describe. High/medium pitched at a strong amplitude. Mine is fine for the first 5 seconds after boot up when just the side fans spins with an acceptable swooosh sound. After that 5 seconds some high / medium pitched sound starts constantly that annoyes me to hell.

I did make meassurement with app on Iphone I do get 43 DB directly on it, on the right side I do get 55 DB. My ambience noise is 29/30A in the house. Holle 23, how much DB do you meassure on the side of your unit?

I suspect the back fan is not good.

Its not coilwine, it has a little of that if I place my ear to the side of the unit but from 1m I cant hear that anymore. This pitched sound I can hear from 5m in the house :cry::cry: and also during movie dialouge playing at high volume.

I feel a relief when I turn the unit of. My first unit was whisper quite (actually it was perfect regarding noise) just made a pleasent swoosh and could be on constanly no problem (sadly that unit had a picture quality flaw) Has Samsung changed fan supplier?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have now a second Samsung unit in my house and can confirm that the new one doesnt have this grainy screen effect (missalignment of the lasers?) So the Vividstorm ALR was not at fault here. The new unit is WAY WAY better than the old unit, this is absolutely a fine picture, now I feel like its 4k resolution, very detailed picture without that grain, Im happy.

Now the new unit has a nasty unpleasent sounding noise instead. :cry:(n) The old one was whisper quite (no high pitch noise at all) Sad that Samsung quality control seams to be.... out of control. Sounds like some of you have got a unit with the same bad noise? My old unit has FNA in its serial the new one has FNB. Anyone with a serial of FNB that is normal noisy?
The laser grain doesn't exist on your replacement unit? Oh man, don't tempt me to try this projector again... It would have been nearly perfect if there were no laser grain :(

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have now a second Samsung unit in my house and can confirm that the new one doesnt have this grainy screen effect (missalignment of the lasers?) So the Vividstorm ALR was not at fault here. The new unit is WAY WAY better than the old unit, this is absolutely a fine picture, now I feel like its 4k resolution, very detailed picture without that grain, Im happy.

Now the new unit has a nasty unpleasent sounding noise instead. :cry:(n) The old one was whisper quite (no high pitch noise at all) Sad that Samsung quality control seams to be.... out of control. Sounds like some of you have got a unit with the same bad noise? My old unit has FNA in its serial the new one has FNB. Anyone with a serial of FNB that is normal noisy?
Some people mentioned an unpleasant sound. Since everybody has a different opinion on what soundlevel is too loud or unpleasant it is hard to tell. I can hear the Samsung from my viewing distance but I sit relatively close (roughly 2.8m) away. The noise is not disturbing though. Its cust a constant sound of the airflow but not highly pitched or anything. To me the soundlevel is pleasant. Though I had already more silent projectors before. I would say its average in regards of noise level for a projector. Not great but not bad either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The laser grain doesn't exist on your replacement unit? Oh man, don't tempt me to try this projector again... It would have been nearly perfect if there were no laser grain :(
Well, it doesnt look like my oled regarding solidness it does not, and not as solid in the whites as some lucky members have shown. In light solid parts there are a slight trace of the speckle in the new unit, however during movements that speckle stays in those areas and movement clarity isnt effected to my eyes anymore. I think that was the worst with the old unit, that when something on screen moved the picture got noticeable grainy and ruined, the grain was more static all over the place than just in the highlights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Some people mentioned an unpleasant sound. Since everybody has a different opinion on what soundlevel is too loud or unpleasant it is hard to tell. I can hear the Samsung from my viewing distance but I sit relatively close (roughly 2.8m) away. The noise is not disturbing though. Its cust a constant sound of the airflow but not highly pitched or anything. To me the soundlevel is pleasant. Though I had already more silent projectors before. I would say its average in regards of noise level for a projector. Not great but not bad either.
Your experience seams to be the exact same for me with the first unit. Ony the constant air fan sound in a pleasent way. Im 3,2m to sweet spot. It pussles me that the second one sound so different. I think the constant air from fans isnt the problem, they start before that new unpleasent noise is kicking in. Its like this unit has an extra sound on top of the air blowing sound, probably coming from electronics making the whining that is constant and rather loud. Unit one was surprisingly good and the second surprisingly bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just setting up my projector.
Sometimes when I turn on the projector from a cold start, it shows this screen with the rgb checkerboard pattern. I still hear sounds. Nothing I do with the remote changes the display.
If I turn off and turn on again, it starts up fine.
Anyone know what's going on?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Anyone else have an issue where you can no longer bring up the "Info" panel (triple dots, info)? When I do it just dismisses the menu and no info panel appears.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone else have an issue where you can no longer bring up the "Info" panel (triple dots, info)? When I do it just dismisses the menu and no info panel appears.
Well the Info does not work for me when I use the inbuild apps. When I use it on external sources it works and shows what type of signal is currently displayed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Has anyone had their unit professionally calibrated? If so, did it make a significant difference? I was one of the first to get the Samsung DSP9T back in November. I've had none of the issues mentioned in this forum. I used the Lack TV bench and VividStorm 120" S Pro Electric Tab-Tension Floor Screen mounted on the Lack. My Panasonic 820 is connected to my Yamaha A-5200 along with my Cox Cable box. I use the "Filmaker" mode and my picture is almost as good as my new LG 77" OLED. One comment I would make based on the pictures I've seen posted. Most of the speakers shown are too close to the screen. Dr. Michael Kelly of Aerial Acoustics told me that all speakers should be al least 3 meters forward of the screen/wall. When the speakers are aliened that way, the center speaker can be put on a stand in front of the Samsung with no problems. Just a thought.

·
Registered
527 Posts

Would love to see some close up shots of white areas (and others) to see how good the new picture is... with the lack of graininess. I was never bothered by it on mine but it is there, just not noticeable at a distance. If it's corrected completely with newer units... time for a replacement maybe? Assuming the noise issue is fixed.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Considering this USTP..would be first projector. BUT I am having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate it AND my RP-504C center channel. Center can not be an in wall due to house design. I do plan on replacing cabinet to lower the center channel as shown in this pic. That would put top of center at 20-27". Then putting projector on top of that the bottom of the screen will be 29-36". Seems too high. Plan on doing 120". TV as shown is 38" off floor. Also, if I lower center channel it will have to be tilted up and that will also cause an issue with putting the USTP on top of it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Considering this USTP..would be first projector. BUT I am having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate it AND my RP-504C center channel. Center can not be an in wall due to house design. I do plan on replacing cabinet to lower the center channel as shown in this pic. That would put top of center at 20-27". Then putting projector on top of that the bottom of the screen will be 29-36". Seems too high. Plan on doing 120". TV as shown is 38" off floor. Also, if I lower center channel it will have to be tilted up and that will also cause an issue with putting the USTP on top of it. View attachment 3123403

·
Registered
198 Posts
Question for the current LSP9T owners, we're setting up a theatre room and were initially thinking of going w/ an 85" TV since that appears to be the biggest size, though previous house we had a 120" screen with an old projector, so more leaning towards this model instead, we've been at best buy a couple times looking at this as they were showing off the UST screens that prevent excess light, any special things to consider for this or what do you all recommend for rich quality screens? I hear they can get REALLY pricey so wanted to hear from owners to get some additional views on this (outside of the vendor which has offered to come out (for a fee ) and inspect the room and make suggestions )

Room is in the basement, and can definitely replace any lights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
LunaP, Start with a simple white screen and compare with UST samples. ( all most all UST screen brands use same material named CBSP screens). I have compared various UST screens and realized that all use same material and provides same image quality. Grandview seems to be using different type of material and provides a little better image quality compared to all others ( may be my illusion or my eyes are too tired to differentiate these minor changes).
if you can control your ceiling light reflections , you may not need UST screen at all.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Considering this USTP..would be first projector. BUT I am having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate it AND my RP-504C center channel. Center can not be an in wall due to house design. I do plan on replacing cabinet to lower the center channel as shown in this pic. That would put top of center at 20-27". Then putting projector on top of that the bottom of the screen will be 29-36". Seems too high. Plan on doing 120". TV as shown is 38" off floor. Also, if I lower center channel it will have to be tilted up and that will also cause an issue with putting the USTP on top of it. View attachment 3123403
Figure out the height you need to place the projector then figure out the total depth needed for the projector, projector distance from screen and depth of center channel and try to find a cabinet to accommodate that. Or build/modify one. I have my cabinet pulled about 10" out which allows me to place my center in front of my projector with 120" screen.(obviously not the Samsung)

·
Registered
448 Posts
LunaP, Start with a simple white screen and compare with UST samples. ( all most all UST screen brands use same material named CBSP screens). I have compared various UST screens and realized that all use same material and provides same image quality. Grandview seems to be using different type of material and provides a little better image quality compared to all others ( may be my illusion or my eyes are too tired to differentiate these minor changes).
if you can control your ceiling light reflections , you may not need UST screen at all.
In my opinion, UST screens are more for the optimal reflection(redirection) of the image from the projector (that is at a vary extreme angle) to the viewer than for rejection of any ambient light. Plus the "negative gain" screen helps improve the perceived black and contrast levels and help mitigate/eliminate any possible hot spotting from generally powerful(bright) projectors being in such close proximity to the screen. Even in a "bat cave", you would probably still get superior results from a UST screen paired with a UST projector than non-UST screen paired with a UST projector.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Considering this USTP..would be first projector. BUT I am having a hard time figuring out how to incorporate it AND my RP-504C center channel. Center can not be an in wall due to house design. I do plan on replacing cabinet to lower the center channel as shown in this pic. That would put top of center at 20-27". Then putting projector on top of that the bottom of the screen will be 29-36". Seems too high. Plan on doing 120". TV as shown is 38" off floor. Also, if I lower center channel it will have to be tilted up and that will also cause an issue with putting the USTP on top of it.
Changing the center channel placement was actually a major factor that caused me hesitation before buying a UST...placement can be tough depending on your room. I thought I'd lose some audibility by lowering my center, but I'm really happy with how it worked out. I have a pretty large center, 33" x 12" high x 16" deep. I made a console from plywood that has a top height of 24" and I left a large cavity in the middle to put my center speaker on an angled stand. Underneath the speaker stand there's a cavity for cable access. I block that off with a sheet of painted eva foam.

Here's a finished shot and a WIP shot of the stand for reference.

console covered.jpg console uncovered.jpg center stand.jpg

·
Registered
799 Posts
Changing the center channel placement was actually a major factor that caused me hesitation before buying a UST...placement can be tough depending on your room. I thought I'd lose some audibility by lowering my center, but I'm really happy with how it worked out. I have a pretty large center, 33" x 12" high x 16" deep. I made a console from plywood that has a top height of 24" and I left a large cavity in the middle to put my center speaker on an angled stand. Underneath the speaker stand there's a cavity for cable access. I block that off with a sheet of painted eva foam.

Here's a finished shot and a WIP shot of the stand for reference.

View attachment 3123549 View attachment 3123550 View attachment 3123551
That's about what I would have to do...I have an RP-504C so it is no small center...but I am reading from so many people that a projector won't work in my room because of the paint even if I use a high dollar UST ALR screen.....no light from outside, but light walls and ceiling that I'm not really willing to change...and it will be used 95% at night with no lights on in room.

941 - 960 of 967 Posts