AVS Forum banner

6681 - 6700 of 10317 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
nice pictures, I'm thinking about buying the HU9000, I would love to see some pictures of it play a very dark letterbox movie.....
Letterbox movies is where these sets really shine with their Cinama Black feature. Here is a shot taken in a pitch black room of a scene from a letterboxed Vimeo movie with my iPad...

Attachments

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Not anymore, Grizzle.:) Do you have blur? Or is it just poster(s) in the double-wide? Apparently, my Dec 2014 78 build is a very good panel, so far anyway.
Not me. I'm fine. However things do depend on one's definition of "blur". To me it means a focus issue. Something that's "blurry" is something that's out of focus. To others it's a motion issue. "Motion blur" is a different deal.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Just watched Lucy on my 9000 - 5 Stars - Great Colour, no motion issues, and you don't even have to be on anything to trip on this movie!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Letterbox movies is where these sets really shine with their Cinama Black feature. Here is a shot taken in a pitch black room of a scene from a letterboxed Vimeo movie with my iPad...
But the movie isn't super dark, I know cinema black work well on the H7150 I once had it and took it back, but with in a very dark movie that really doesn't have a lot light in them, the letter box would turn gray as just like the movie it self and black wasn't black, but a cloudy gray movie half the time....

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
But the movie isn't super dark, I know cinema black work well on the H7150 I once had it and took it back, but with in a very dark movie that really doesn't have a lot light in them, the letter box would turn gray as just like the movie it self and black wasn't black, but a cloudy gray movie half the time....
Watch during the day - stays Black. The whole panel stays Black. Night viewing - Gray Black. Why I watched Lucy this afternoon.
As mentioned previously, watch Vimeo `Sun' during the daytime - Space is Black. Night viewing - Space is Gray Black

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
April 10, 2015: (April 5 settings corrected due to XE-3D issue)

Usage: 36840 Minutes (614 Hours)

Calibration Results: Samsung UN65HU9000 - November 2014 build. GFP9 Chipset US02 Panel
Calman 5.4.1, Build # 1911 Spectracal C6 profiled off i1Pro,
Radiance XE-3D Pattern Source

CalNight: Calibrated settings

Backlight: 14
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 9
Colour: 50
Tint: 50/50

Gamma: -1
Warm2
Smart LED: Standard
BDWise: On
UHD Colour: ON HDMI 2 and 3 (Radiance set to 4:4:4 Output, BD-F7500 to UHD Output)

White Balance 2 Point: R / G / B Offsets: Gains

0 / 0 / 0 : 0 / 0 / 0

Service Menu: R / G / R Offsets : Gains

116 / 118 / 121 : 131 / 129 / 145

White Balance 10 Point: R / G / B

10%: -30 / -14 / -30
20%: -18 / -10 / -14
30%: 0 / 0 / 0
40%: +2 / +2 / +2
50%: +8 / +6 / +12
60%: +2 / +4 / +11
70%: -4 / 0 / +6
80%: -2 / -1 / +3
90%: 0 / 0 / +2
100%: 0 / 0 / 0

Colour Space: Calibrated Custom R / G / B
Red: 53 / 0 / 3
Green: 6 / 49 / 6
Blue: 0 / 6 / 48
Yellow: 53 / 48 / 7
Cyan: 0 / 50 / 50
Magenta: 52 / 6 / 51

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off

Testing:
When is a Black Panel, not a Black Panel test.
Check the Vimeo presentation of `Sun' during the day (Black Space), and at night (not so Black Space)
AMP Motion issue test.
Check the Vimeo presentation of `Earth' - first viewing, motion is a blur. Turn Amp to Clear, then Off - blur gone!

88" - Check the Vimeo presentation of `Samsung SUHD TV at Gitex' - damm, if I'd only had the $s - would look great in the basement system!

Note: By getting the Service Menu White Balance to flatline the 30 and 100% in the 10 Point Grayscale, this corrects all the Modes and Inputs. (Even Dynamic doesn't look so over hot now.)
Dynamic Contrast: Off and Black Tone: Off... No wonder why your picture is gray black.... I might just have buy this tv and see for myself...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I see a few people asking about the service menu so I just wanted to reiterate that if you don't know what you're doing it's best not venture there. Research & do your homework first.

Be absolutely certain you won't that you won't use left/right keys for navigating in multi column menus. It's very instinctive to hit left/right.

Stay out of the calibrating sub menu, in ADC iirc. Press the wrong button and you'll end up with a failed auto cal run, hosing your set until you find the proper pattern to fix it. In the wb menu or the expert menu to turn on the cal night/day modes is pretty safe, but the panel menu or any multi column menu are very much not. As far as I know, with these sets you have business in there anyway.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Watch during the day - stays Black. The whole panel stays Black. Night viewing - Gray Black. Why I watched Lucy this afternoon.
As mentioned previously, watch Vimeo `Sun' during the daytime - Space is Black. Night viewing - Space is Gray Black
I believe your the only guy that's mentioned this phenomenon. Roll me one dude.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Hello all, I'm just curious as to what the acceptable amount of light bleed is on the un65hu9000. I know it's an edge lit set so there's going to be some but I would appreciate if HU9000 owners would post a picture of their set when they're on an input and the source is off which will yield the maximum amount of bleed. I know the screen goes completely black when there is a video source on and there's just no video but that's not what I'm talking about. Here are two pictures of mine and would appreciate anyone else that can post a pic of there's under the same circumstance. The picture is taken from straight on or from a little bit above, I know if I take it from an angle on the side it's much worse.
That is pretty bad to me, I would not accept it.

I suggest an exchange to see if the next one is better.

In the end if it bothers you and for the price I would do what makes me happy.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
It sounds to me like your set seems to be periodically shutting off AMP. Because when you do your little trick it fixes it everytime. I wonder if you don't have a faulty set.
hey, what are you're setting for the HU9000....
WelL I do use dynamic contrast on high. Black tone off.

It can get blacker blacks. I just think it is a nice balance with shadow detail as is.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Hello all, I'm just curious as to what the acceptable amount of light bleed is on the un65hu9000. I know it's an edge lit set so there's going to be some but I would appreciate if HU9000 owners would post a picture of their set when they're on an input and the source is off which will yield the maximum amount of bleed. I know the screen goes completely black when there is a video source on and there's just no video but that's not what I'm talking about. Here are two pictures of mine and would appreciate anyone else that can post a pic of there's under the same circumstance. The picture is taken from straight on or from a little bit above, I know if I take it from an angle on the side it's much worse.
Looks bad dude. Dial that sh!t out.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Agreed more than usual there.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
wow :eek: totally unacceptable.......

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. I did try to take a picture to show it at its worst as many shots I took you couldn't see any bleed. Can anyone please post a picture of there's not trying to hide the bleed so I can compare it. I've sold a hand full of these units on custom installs and they all have some. However it's rare that the sets are ever in this state with the no signal message. Like I said earlier, my set is pitch black when the source is on and there is no video but in this state it's completely different
What setting is your smart led on?

And yes with source on you wouldnt see any issues as the set seems to perform very well when actual content is running.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Reactions: korsjs
6681 - 6700 of 10317 Posts